PDA

View Full Version : Divided we fail. The future of Pre-CU

Pages : [1] 2

Kyle
06-05-2008, 04:05 PM
I think it goes without saying that there has been more than enough unnecessary drama surrounding this project. Officially, the SWGEmu team has grown out of the unprofessional practices of the past, and has no desire to bring up, contribute to, or create new drama, which brings us to the purpose of this post.

Over the last few years, the community has fractured and splintered into groups of people heading down different paths but all in the same general direction. Our aim is to put the past, in the past, and work toward a better and more unified community. Pre-CU will take much longer than is desired without us having a common goal. We want to thank Lordcorm for first voicing the sentiments of hope for unity that many of us share. The members of the team here at SWGEmu unanimously support a united community for the development of the SWG Pre-CU MMORPG.

We would like the entire SWG emulation community to know that the SWGEmu team is wiping the slate clean. We strive to have no more grudges, no more enemies, and no more juvenile affairs. If we have wronged you, please accept our apologies. If you have wronged us, please accept our forgiveness. Furthermore, even if you were, are, or think you might be, an "enemy", we extend an olive branch to anyone who wants to be a part of a unified effort for Pre-CU.

As a result of the fracturing, we see many trends that take away from the productivity we could share as a united community. For example, the fact that ideas and research are pooled on every individual server community forum instead of being shared in a central location. One single place is needed where the ideas and research can actually be more than just conjecture by involving the entire community at once. Professions are discussed and debated everywhere, but implementations can not be made possible if the people creating the technology are not part of the discussion. Individuals are reinventing the wheel three fold because of proprietary documentation and isolationist views. People seem content to just sit in their communities and just wait for someone to bring something to them rather than being part of the driving force. There is strength and knowledge in numbers and no single person knows 100% of the Pre-CU, so it is in the best interests of the SWG Pre-CU MMORPG to bring everything into a united community.

The benefits of unification toward a common goal are quite simple. While people are hoarding resources forcing others to cover the same ground, development is slowed. If everyone becomes a contributing member pushing for one purpose, united in a belief that everyone wants an accurate, stable, and supported server package, then all the small victories for individuals and groups can be combined into large victories for the SWG Pre-CU MMORPG.

At this point, believing that there is still a "contest" to get the first or best server is a waste of time and resources. We should be working together with one purpose and together showing the gaming world what they think is impossible can be achieved by a unified community. The SWG Pre-CU MMORPG free emulator can become a major player in the commercial MMO world with the support of everybody.

Many of you may wonder why we have a closed source engine. It is simply because Engine 3 is destined for great things. The Star Wars Galaxies emulation project, while personally important to each of us, is the first step in what will be a long an prosperous path for the engine. Each of the developers working on Engine 3 have a burning passion for Pre-CU, and for the gaming community. The Star Wars Galaxies emulator gets the unique distinction of being Engine 3's rise to fame. What does this mean for the community at hand? We are not content with the mediocre, and are here for the long haul.

If you are and individual or a group who have had conflicts in the past, and want to talk about cooperation, please contact. Seaseme, Kyle, Smusatto, or Ramsey via IRC (irc.swgemu.com:6667) or forums.

Thank you,
The New and Improved SWGEmu team

Andewa
06-05-2008, 04:08 PM
This is epic. Amazing.

Valkyra
06-05-2008, 04:09 PM
This was an overall great post. Thank you for posting this Kyle, I think everyone should deeply take this to heart and consider it. If we want Pre-CU we cannot be divided.

Oh and SECOND!!

(Sorry couldn't resist it.)

Sti1garWormrider
06-05-2008, 04:09 PM
here! here!@

bean89032
06-05-2008, 04:12 PM
About time someone said what most if not all of us were thinking, Awesome post kyle, /kowtow.

merde
06-05-2008, 04:18 PM
very cool

Uli
06-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Great post Kyle, just wish it was ya 600th lol u were just 1 off :P

MrBlonde
06-05-2008, 04:21 PM
I completely agree that people seem content to just sit in their communities and just wait for someone to bring something to them rather than being part of the driving force.

Hopefully this will encourage people to participate around here more instead of just posting in the off-topic forum.

I hope to see everyone in the Profession forums soon. :)

Keep up the great work team, you have a supporter in me.

Anima Rytak
06-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Ha, this makes me wanna become active again.

/kudos

nostyleguy
06-05-2008, 04:23 PM
i definitely agree with the gesture of this post, and sincerely hope things change for the better. that being said, i think the 'splintered community' is largely a result of SWGEmu's uncertainty about hosting a server. Nobody wants to put a ton of effort into supporting a unified community because as soon as the Emu is finished, the community will break up into different servers again. Nobody wants to make real efforts to develop new content because the Emu team's answer is always "it will depend what serer you're on". I think a unified community is of vital importance, but i think the community needs to know there will be solid ground to land on before they take a leap of faith. No disrespect meant; just a hypothesis as to why the community is the way it is.

Rauce
06-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Unite, and speed it up!

togno
06-05-2008, 04:32 PM
does this mean zenophile may come back:)

SethonC.
06-05-2008, 04:32 PM
It's so great to see the entire team maturing.

does this mean zenophile may come back:)

Honestly, that'd be just epic. Think of how fast progress would be made with yet another developer coming back?

Audune
06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
/vader
Impressive....Most impressive
/vader

I always wondered whether or not I'd been tagged "Enemy" by the emu group...but meh, *takes olive stick anyways*

I've always found any group amazingly interesting for having the brains to be able to pull of what everyone has done. My only regret was having to break ties with some of my best friends, who've I've met in real life and gamed with each other and fragged others with. Great times at PDXLan.

Anyways....yeah, i'm not going all weepy on you all, just good luck. And I'll be poking my head in more and more.

Lordcorm
06-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Olive branch accepted. :)

"Good, good, everything has gone as i have foreseen it..." :emperor:

:p

merryxmas
06-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Divided we fail. Yes, that is true.

Now why doesn't SWGEmu forget the past and team up with SWGANH?

bean89032
06-05-2008, 04:50 PM
All in good time. im sure that once some of there devs see this theyll come and post something here or send them a pm

Smusatto
06-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Divided we fail. Yes, that is true.

Now why doesn't SWGEmu forget the past and team up with SWGANH?

I hope you read more than the title of the post...

It's good to finally see this posted. We worked hard on this post to make sure we handled it the best we could. I look forward to hearing from some of the devs on the other teams about this. Feel free to PM me here or on IRC. If I don't respond on IRC, check for Smusatto|atwork too.

merryxmas
06-05-2008, 04:55 PM
All in good time. im sure that once some of there devs see this theyll come and post something here or send them a pm

They have to and I mean all hands out no matter if it looks like they're begging. It's crutical SWGEmu teams up with SWGANH.

I loved precu with all my heart yet sadly I don't think there will be anything there for swg in a year.

Seaseme
06-05-2008, 04:58 PM
did you read the post?

Serifin
06-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Seeing the community evolve and mature over time is a great thing.

This is a truly great post, and I really look forward to seeing what it may bring :)

Lordcorm
They have to and I mean all hands out no matter if it looks like they're begging. It's crutical SWGEmu teams up with SWGANH.

I loved precu with all my heart yet sadly I don't think there will be anything there for swg in a year.

Im sorry to say, ANH will not be cooperative with a merge. They made it clear to me when i was on their team, and since it went against my unification document, i decided to quit.

It was pretty relieving though, when i found out about 30 minutes after i quite, this was going up. :)

merryxmas
did you read the post?

Yes, I've been watching this emulator go on for years and this reminds me of the time Ramsey took out the Splam forums and told us things were going to change. 3 years later and I thought I would be playing precu already.

Enough is Enough.

Im sorry to say, ANH will not be cooperative with a merge. They made it clear to me when i was on their team, and since it went against my unification document, i decided to quit.

It was pretty relieving though, when i found out about 30 minutes after i quite, this was going up. :)

Reach out to them. I know those guys. Reach out and tell them enough is enough.

Ekowraith
06-05-2008, 05:04 PM
What are we doing to accomplish unification?

Seaseme
06-05-2008, 05:08 PM
What are we doing to accomplish unification?
writing a shiny document and hoping they read it and come to their senses.

Profit
06-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Never thought I would see the day, this could prove interesting.

*grabs popcorn*

Hope everything works out for the best, always. Imagine what all the EMU teams coming together could accomplish.

merryxmas
06-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Never thought I would see the day, this could prove interesting.

*grabs popcorn*

Hope everything works out for the best, always. Imagine what all the EMU coming together could accomplish.

Lordcorm
06-05-2008, 05:20 PM
So you're saying we have to write SWGANH a document. No, no. The SWGEmu community has been very loyal even when the split of mods went to SWGANH.

You guys need to fix this situation. Us writing a letter would do no good.

...., you did not read the post.....

Kyle
06-05-2008, 05:23 PM
So you're saying we have to write SWGANH a document. No, no. The SWGEmy community has been very loyal even when the split of mods went to SWGANH.

You guys need to fix this situation. Us writing a letter would do no good.

You have no idea what is going on, so please stop carrying on like you do. We have approached them. I talked to one of their staff personally, and have not gotten a response either way for 3 weeks. Everything has been done on our end. The only thing that can be done, is for them to answer. So, if you know them as well as you claim, then you talk to them, because they don't listen to us. The ball is in their court. Please don't post more pointless banter about this.

Kateb Ibliss
06-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Nice work Devs.

Yet another step in the right direction.

merryxmas
06-05-2008, 05:28 PM
You have no idea what is going on, so please stop carrying on like you do. We have approached them. I talked to one of their staff personally, and have not gotten a response either way for 3 weeks. Everything has been done on our end. The only thing that can be done, is for them to answer. So, if you know them as well as you claim, then you talk to them, because they don't listen to us. The ball is in their court. Please don't post more pointless banter about this.

If they're such stiffs then why did I get their approval to make a common ground forums for the SWGANH people and the SWGEmu people so they interact under one roof.

I'll see what I can do. If much at all, but damn I'm trying. Right now though I need your word to me you won't team up with them just to steal their source code.

Kyle
06-05-2008, 05:36 PM
If they're such stiffs then why did I get their approval to make a common ground forums for the SWGANH people and the SWGEmu people so they interact under one roof.

Seriously stop talking to us, and talk to them. We have done everything we can. I will start deleting further posts on this subject if it continues.

denerictkm
06-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Why do I feel xmas's power is all in his head...

Halifax
06-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Good Post Kyle.

Kellina
06-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Sweet, Exciting News!

Vasheir
06-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Let it be as you have said.

Tonedus
06-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I dont post that often, but thats a class post Kyle.

/bow

Klanagh
06-05-2008, 06:04 PM
It's good to read that SWGEmu doesn't recognize a contest to be the first emulator out. That would have the wrong goal in mind.

All the Dev's on the various projects seem to be talented, dedicated individuals who want to bring Pre-CU back to gamers like me and themselves. And also to prove to SOE, and the MMORPG market in general, that retail game companies can't just completely change an online game years into it and expect people to take it.

This emulation project has a large community, an open test center, many contributing members, and a definite end goal in mind: a stable Pre-CU experience. I would further encourage Dev's of other teams to unite here and synchronize their efforts for the entire community.

In my mind, it's not about who wins first, but rather about what's best for the whole Pre-CU community. Thank you to all who are working here with that aim in mind.

Burzum
06-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Great Post. I hope everyone interested in playing pre-cu again will follow your example Kyle.
It has been several years since pre-cu went away and the total number of people remembering and still wanting to play it has probably been reduced quite a bit. We need everyone to work together to make it happen! and on another note i dont get why people want to make a bunch of diffrent servers, when obviously the game would benefit greately from having everyone on one big server. I do realize this doesnt have anything to do with developement of the emu at this time.. but in my ideal world everyone interested in pre-cu would be on this site helping to develop, and when finnished join forces to create the best swg server of all time.

Zar
06-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Wow, I must say SWGEmu team, you've show great maturity here and well, all i can say is im honored to be part of your community. You've made a big step, and hopefuly it'll tie the loose ends, maybe not today, maybe not next month, but hopefuly someday. Sony Online Entertainment's biggest mistake was severing themselves from their community, it is true Devided we fail. All i can say is i hope for the best, for the team, for the community, and for SWGEmu as a whole.

merryxmas
06-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Great Post. I hope everyone interested in playing pre-cu again will follow your example Kyle.
It has been several years since pre-cu went away and the total number of people remembering and still wanting to play it has probably been reduced quite a bit. We need everyone to work together to make it happen! and on another note i dont get why people want to make a bunch of diffrent servers, when obviously the game would benefit greately from having everyone on one big server. I do realize this doesnt have anything to do with developement of the emu at this time.. but in my ideal world everyone interested in pre-cu would be on this site helping to develop, and when finnished join forces to create the best swg server of all time.

I hope everyone can work together. I know there are some hard feeling from the past.

If SWG ANH is unwilling to join forces then maybe something as a small token to start the process. If there is just a sharing of information at the beginning then maybe it can grow into something stronger. This way code will not be compromised and both EMU servers will be stronger and more accurate. If both teams could start by just sharing information on weapon damage and creature stats and see how things are going. Code can be left out of it if that is what they want.

However it would be nice if everyone could just let bygones be bygones and work together having 20 developers sure would make the process faster and easier.

Great post Kyle and it is nice to see you take the first step in being willing to work togeather

syvart
06-05-2008, 06:20 PM
I hope everyone can work together. I know there are some hard feeling from the past.

If SWG ANH is unwilling to join forces then maybe something as a small token to start the process. If there is just a sharing of information at the beginning then maybe it can grow into something stronger. This way code will not be compromised and both EMU servers will be stronger and more accurate. If both teams could start by just sharing information on weapon damage and creature stats and see how things are going. Code can be left out of it if that is what they want.

However it would be nice if everyone could just let bygones be bygones and work together having 20 developers sure would make the process faster and easier.

Great post Kyle and it is nice to see you take the first step in being willing to work togeather

Etheco
06-05-2008, 06:24 PM
ahmen, nicely put :D

Ekaika
06-05-2008, 06:26 PM
I hope this post makes it very clear of the magnitude of what is being accomplished here. It's way beyond a game or some silly ego bull****. This has never been done before, and there's a really good chance that engine3 will end up being a career for many people.

Win win on both fronts, we get to play galaxies again, and the guys we love for their work get something out of it. I wouldn't deny the possibility that each of the devs here goes on to salaried positions with top groups based on the work done here.

Wr00m
06-05-2008, 06:28 PM
I bow with deep respect Kyle and i hope everyting works out with the other teams. :)

_DM_
06-05-2008, 06:29 PM
true!

Tolbat
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
As someone who was not around for any of the past issues, I think this is a step in the right direction for everyone and eloquently sums it up. Many thanks to the DEVs and community.

I feel even more motivated :)

Runny
06-05-2008, 06:38 PM
I thought this was a post saying SWGEmu was quitting.

But I agree with you kyle

imist
06-05-2008, 06:52 PM
"Epic post" indeed! I agree completly with all ya said man, One Community working as one is the best way to go on to do this great thing you guys have going. I for one have been a drifter in and out of the emu and had no idea of what was going on but I am glad you guys are pushing forward in a powerful way. I for one am inspired and will do the best I can with the time I have to help you guys to continue this project and make it as epic as everyone wants it to be. :)

wookiesniper
06-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Very classy gentlemen, I'm proud to be part of this comunity.

Inkanta12-lolz
06-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Meh.. peace allows more progress i geuss.

darksniper843
06-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Guys if i am right ur slowing the developing for it to be better then good it is cool with me. Good luck guys I won't leave the game!

david665
06-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I think all the devs, in all camps, need to step back and realize what they've accomplished. They have literally bucked an international corporation and done what Smeds said was totally impossible, namely crack SWG's code. He said they would never zone into game, basically that Jesus would return before zoning in would happen.

The sheer genius that the devs have shown is a tribute to themselves, and the work they've done thus far is just icing on the cake

Maximus- Antony
06-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Amazing job on this post, excellently worded.

I whole heartedly agree 100% with everything in this post.

MikeCool
06-05-2008, 08:32 PM
awsome post there kyle. <3 :)

kthanxbye

TAfirehawk
06-05-2008, 08:35 PM
For me this doesn't just apply to Devs in the other projects out there, but to ALL PEOPLE in the SWG Pre-CU MMORPG community.

Each and every person, coder or not, is of great importance to the realization of this monumental endeavor.

maowan
06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Inspirational post

I would now like to offer an olive branch to anyone who I have ever had arguments with, Megatron, IG88, Draigoch, anyone else whos been annoyed at me for one reason or another, Im sorry

As David665 said, the devs on all teams have accomplished what the powers at SOE said would never be done and they laughed

/start Inspirational string music
/Deep south accent
Teams, men and woman, brothers and sisters, let us join forces, and together we can rule the galaxy, not as Father and Son (like Darth Vader would say) but as brothers! Brothers in Arms!! Its a War, a war against the greed, to free what is ours, to take back what was stolen! We can get there, with no more fighting, lets unify the cause, and we can defeat the REAL enemy together, we can stick it to the man! Hell, we can make history!! Not just MMO history, not just gaming history, but civil right history!! The first case of cival revolution in online gaming against the governing body who think they can say Jump and we Jump! The first time this has been done, the corporation took away the peoples game and the people wouldnt take it and they fought back! The corporation fat cats said it couldnt be done, they laughed at us!

Lets stand side by side, forget flaming, forget the petty oneupmanship, we can do this!! TOGETHER AS ONE! SWGEmuANH !! ONE DEV TEAM! ONE COMMUNITY!

/scottish accent
They tried to take our Pre-CU, but theyll never take our FREEEEEDOM!!

Thanks for reading, Im wired now

Joekak
06-05-2008, 08:55 PM
After years of seeing random news of drama, this is definitely something unexpected, but well said!

Now seriously...

LOLOLOL!!!!11 WtF!!???!!11

Smusatto
06-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Just to let everyone know, the lines of communication are open and we've got a meeting planned for later tonight. We'll see how it goes...

syvart
06-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Woohoo

Happy To Hear It

Tothix
06-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Just to let everyone know, the lines of communication are open and we've got a meeting planned for later tonight. We'll see how it goes...

May The Force Be With You.

Biophilia
06-05-2008, 09:24 PM
uniting the community is a great thing to do but any discussion by emulator team members about uniting the emu teams should be done in private, away from the community. "We" the community, are certainly ignorant of many issues, intentions, and politics that exist or go on behind the scenes and shouldn't be stimulated to respond when only assumptions can be made.

Seaseme
06-05-2008, 09:29 PM
@Biophilia
The post was made to make a public appeal to the other teams to unite. We already tried in private and there was no bites, which was discouraging. But this is how it is, now our case is public.

Maximus- Antony
06-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Would you all (the developers), mind us going to the other emulator teams and linking them to this post?

Just in case that they don't look over here?

Seaseme
06-05-2008, 09:35 PM
We've posted a few times on other forums. Thanks maximus.. I think they'll see it.

Tow'lin
06-05-2008, 09:46 PM
to biopilia as well:
While ignorance is sometimes bliss, I really beleive that many issues should be brought to the community's attention. This is a big one. I have no doubt that this will bring about many great changes. I agree, that some things should be kept private, but the more the community knows, the better.

PS: love your scrapbook!

And to kyle:
This has to be the most inpirational post i've ever seen. This makes me proud to be part of the emu community AND moreso the Pre-CU community.

Regards,
Tow'lin Tow

Biophilia
06-05-2008, 09:47 PM
I do hope it all works out, but I have a problem with involving a community that is certainly unaware of all the issues that might prevent a union. We are not arbitrators, we're just 3rd party observers with a muddy obfuscating window to peer through.

in what way are we supposed to help?

Lordcorm
06-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I do hope it all works out, but I have a problem with involving a community that is certainly unaware of all the issues that might prevent a union. We are not arbitrators, we're just 3rd party observers with a muddy obfuscating window to peer through.

in what way are we supposed to help?

Keeping the community informed is important. If we didnt do so, we would be just as bad as SOE, by not letting the community come into the dev's decision making process.

Max
06-05-2008, 10:12 PM
well written and with very high sentiments. well done team.

Gulkia
06-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Fantastic post kyle... I totally agree with you. Hopefully swganh and persistant worlds will respond to this post...

bean89032
06-05-2008, 11:00 PM
I pray that the meeting goes well, it would truely be amazing to see these two powerfull groups come together to work for the greater good, it would not only speed up the process, but it would also make everyone, not just one group, truely a blessing, with everyone working together and exchanging ideas and pulling all ideas together, conversing and everyhitng, the game will truely be like we once remembered it :)

toetag909
06-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Seems logical that more devs means the world will get an emulator faster. I hope this can be resolved.

darksniper843
06-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Meeting with who the other pre-cu ppl or u and swg?

DARKRL
06-05-2008, 11:12 PM
/cheer * Infinity

Way to go, I hope this happens in a great way. This could really push this project far.

Ekowraith
06-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic.

TAfirehawk
06-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Keeping the community informed is important. If we didnt do so, we would be just as bad as SOE, by not letting the community come into the dev's decision making process.

Absolutely correct...as I saw many things inside SOE that if the community had known things, well it might have been different (but probably not).

As I posted earlier, this is also a call to all players, not just coders to help bring the right info and testing to help make the best product possible. This is far bigger than just a bunch of coders....

Ekaika
06-06-2008, 12:09 AM

Can you share with whom you're speaking at this point?

nostyleguy
06-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I understand biophilia's point of view. This situation isn't like how SOE kept the community out of the loop. Its apples and oranges. SOE didn't let players give any input into the development of features and changes that affected the game. I think we all have faith enough in the EMU team to not make that mistake. however, Biophilia's point is that the community is generally ery ignorant about 'closed door' issues such as SWGEmu's dealings with ANH or other emulator teams. Hell, half the posters here dont even know who the SWGEmu developers are. This leads to many uninformed people making speculations as to the relations and dealings of the Emu team. these speculations are at best misleading to the community, and at worst ignorant and detrimental to Emu. I still think making this public was a good move, but i think the community needs to get the whole story before it starts making assumptions based on limited (new) knowledge.

Kylrathin
06-06-2008, 12:50 AM
Congrats, guys. Hope you can get it done. This team's come a long way over the years.

Vrej
06-06-2008, 12:52 AM
This kind of came out of left field...

I thought this stuff was far in the past in this Emu. It seems every time it is brought up, it is done so in a very melancholy way. "Divided We Fail" doesn't exactly encourage the good spirit the team has been carrying for quite some time now since open source. (Hence left field)

I'm all for the uniting of teams, but couldn't it be more like "United We Get There Faster" type of posts?

Newsound
06-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Glad to see the maturity level being raised here. I had to take a break from keeping up with SWGEMU cuz all there was to read about was lame drama.

Over the past few months I have noticed a drastic change in attitudes and the communication brought to the forums. I applauded the efforts being attempted in this thread. Even if other groups do not group up right away, these events IMO are major milestones for our community.

Good luck to developers.

Pynda
06-06-2008, 01:38 AM
I've seen the efforts made by SWGemu over the last six months or so to mend fences with (all members of) the community, and it hasn't gone unnoticed. At least by me. Thanks.

But I can understand where the ANH devs might have a problem coding for a project where they would have no 'ownership' of their work. And where SWGemu could - theoretically at least - announce at the last minute that the completed emu was, for instance, not going to be released publicly but was going to be run only on private servers. However on the other hand, I sympathize completely with the right of the SWGemu devs to use their proprietary part of the game engine (core 3) as a separate and potentially profit making enterprise.

So it does seem like a real conundrum. And perhaps the best we really can hope for is a better sharing of information. As was mentioned earlier in this thread by syvart.

Smusatto
06-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Can you share with whom you're speaking at this point?

Sure. We just got done meeting with Snow. It was a very cordial conversation and we covered a lot of information. He is going to share the log with the ANH team and we'll see what happens from there.

And where SWGemu could - theoretically at least - announce at the last minute that the completed emu was, for instance, not going to be released publicly but was going to be run only on private servers.

This is crazy talk. We feel it is now our obligation to release it for everyone to use, considering so many people have contributed since we went open source. Each and everyone of them should have the opportunity to run their own server if they want to. They helped make it happen. It's only right.

Seaseme
06-06-2008, 01:50 AM
I've seen the efforts made by SWGemu over the last six months or so to mend fences with (all members of) the community, and it hasn't gone unnoticed. At least by me. Thanks.

This is all for you. We realized that the childish ways we had weren't going to get us anywhere. In order to attract more talented programmers to this project and further expand our community it's important to treat it with respect. You guys are why we're here, and this is all for you. You're very welcome.

But I can understand where the ANH devs might have a problem coding for a project where they would have no 'ownership' of their work.

This wasn't JUST about the ANH devs, it's also about the other people out there who feel like we have wronged them in the past. God knows that's a lot of people. But this project has a goal now, and I think finally it's getting safe to say that we can see light on the end of the tunnel. We're trying to finish strong. We could do this by ourselves, but we could see this emulator in half the time if some of the talented people from server communities and our community step forward and lend a hand.

And where SWGemu could - theoretically at least - announce at the last minute that the completed emu was, for instance, not going to be released publicly but was going to be run only on private servers.

Here is a quote from me. That will NEVER happen. This project is open source. We owe so much to our great community that I can't even express it. Like I said before, this is for them and you. We want you guys to have the best possible emulator that we can provide. We're redesigning our homepage to be more emu-centric and welcoming, and it will also allow new members to get started MUCH easier. Also Kyle and a few others have been working on tools to help the community be involved. These tools will allow people who are less tech savvy to participate in the development process.

However on the other hand, I sympathize completely with the right of the SWGemu devs to use their proprietary part of the game engine (core 3) as a separate and potentially profit making enterprise.

That is a long way down the road. Pre-cu is our goal at the moment.

So it does seem to me like a real conundrum. And perhaps the best we really can hope for is a better sharing of information. As was mentioned earlier in this thread by syvart.

Perhaps. But that's why we're talking about it. We don't want to make any rash decisions.

I hope that clears up some questions/doubts/fears of everyone else.

Ekaika
06-06-2008, 02:07 AM
Excellent post Seasame. And thanks Smus for replying.

Watching all this happen from the beginning to where we are today is simply amazing. It's a coming of age.

Serpentkaa
06-06-2008, 02:24 AM
GJ team! This is an incredible step. It's a whole new opportunity for the entire community to pull together and finish this project. Hopefully, everyone will take the olive branch and let bygones be bygones. It's not just the return of devs that this community would benefit from but all the players that left too. It's obvious that if the dev teams work together how much it will help the success of the emulator and return our game to us faster. However, let's not forget the dev team is also including the players that left too in that OP. This game is so much about community, that the players are just important. Let's not forget them.

merryxmas
06-06-2008, 02:38 AM
My post was edited because I keep saying the same thing after I have been asked not to.

metalhomicide
06-06-2008, 02:40 AM
I've always stuck behind SWG Emu. Mainly because of quality and it's always felt a little like home-away-from-home here. :)

I'm really happy to see a move like this being made. Makes me feel proud to have stuck around here for so long.

I'm kinda' curious about how multiple works and projects will be consolidated into the current project we have now if/when others agree to help. I hope it's not too much of a problem, as not everyone is coding in exactly the same format/language/etc.

My post was edited because I keep saying the same thing after I have been asked not to.

You have a very odd underlying tone in all your posts... However, you cannot say that one is farther along than the other, because they've both made strides in a lot of different areas.

merryxmas
06-06-2008, 02:44 AM
I've always stuck behind SWG Emu. Mainly because of quality and it's always felt a little like home-away-from-home here. :)

I'm really happy to see a move like this being made. Makes me feel proud to have stuck around here for so long.

I'm kinda' curious about how multiple works and projects will be consolidated into the current project we have now if/when others agree to help. I hope it's not too much of a problem, as not everyone is coding in exactly the same format/language/etc.

Don't worry. Be Happy. Don't worry be happy now. :)

Ekaika
06-06-2008, 03:07 AM

Might we ask who you are? You seem to be speaking for the ANH team, yet no one knows you, and admin here has asked you not to continue to spew misinformation.

You appear to me to be trolling, and posts like this are just going to make trouble.

merryxmas
06-06-2008, 03:11 AM
Might we ask who you are? You seem to be speaking for the ANH team, yet no one knows you, and admin here has asked you not to continue to spew misinformation.

You appear to me to be trolling, and posts like this are just going to make trouble.

I'm not speaking for SWGANH. But one could only think of an agreement under certain conditions such as those.

metalhomicide
06-06-2008, 03:15 AM
I'm not speaking for SWGANH. But one could only think of an agreement under certain conditions such as those.

So far, you're the only one thinking that... If teams were consolidated, it doesn't mean they'd have to lose their forums too. Sheesh. :|

Ekaika
06-06-2008, 03:20 AM

One meaning you? You don't know what you're talking about. Why don't you just sit back and watch with the rest of us.

Serpentkaa
06-06-2008, 03:20 AM
/agree Metalhomicide. I can imagine several types of compromise and reconcilliations that are outside what you have mentioned merryxmas. You're speculating.

Let's not limit what is a new beginning by speculating any further.

The teams are in discussion. Let's actually wait to see what will develop. :)

/crossfingers
/check pompoms
/practice highkicks
/workon cheer

merryxmas
06-06-2008, 03:21 AM
So far, you're the only one thinking that... If teams were consolidated, it doesn't mean they'd have to lose their forums too. Sheesh. :|

Wouldn't it be even more ridiculous if SWGEmu backed out of the agreement because of a condition like that?

Aremathiea
06-06-2008, 03:23 AM
Merryxmas feels the need to feel important... ........................ many times over. :D

On topic... I hope this thread stays positive.. Over the last few hours it seems to be going in the wrong direction. I like the community here at SWGEMU and I am sure ANH and the rest as well as server communities will all have their groups of loyalists. I think we should celebrate the fact that we like our respective communities but not dislike the others. Just because things may have been done (I only know about the TG thing) but it wasn't the community at fault, if fault must be held at all.

I think this was a good step forward and, as it was already stated by the OP, it is up to everyone to accept and unite rather than to isolate. I say that the little guys like myself sit back and see what happens and only offer our support. We do not need to toss up theoretical road blocks before they occur.

metalhomicide
06-06-2008, 03:23 AM
Wouldn't it be even more ridiculous if SWGEmu backed out of the agreement because of a condition like that?

What's even more ridiculous is how you've stopped making sense. Quit trying to start trouble. This is seriously the complete opposite of what's being discussed in the OP, and you're just trolling now.

paulocafalli
06-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Thats the spirit Kyle. Great attitude.

Aremathiea
06-06-2008, 03:27 AM
What's even more ridiculous is how you've stopped making sense. Quit trying to start trouble. This is seriously the complete opposite of what's being discussed in the OP, and you're just trolling now.

/agree. Devils advocate = fail in a situation such as this.

Tonedus
06-06-2008, 03:27 AM
This could possibly be the best thing to ever happen to the 2 teams, communities and the pre cu emulator for a good couple of years. This only looks like good news to me and i'm certainly staying quietly optimistic.

merryxmas
06-06-2008, 03:35 AM

You're misinterpreting my message. I just want everyone to go in there with an open mind. This is not going to be an easy process. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Be prepared by keeping an open mind to any possibility.

Aremathiea
06-06-2008, 03:37 AM
You're misinterpreting my message. I just want everyone to go in there with an open mind. This is not going to be an easy process. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

No need to imagine problems before they occur. Simply because we do not know the process of what may come does not mean we should prepare for the worst. Sure, by all means, lets have an open mind, but not so open that our minds fall out. I believe in being ready, but this is not a military operation or surgery.

metalhomicide
06-06-2008, 03:42 AM

But being open-minded about insane possibilities will just make you paranoid and crazy... It was my understanding that SWG Emu was offering other teams to come help here, not offering their forums and source (Beside what's already open-source) to other teams. I doubt we'd see any loss of the community/work that's been established here; we're more likely to see progress and additions.

merryxmas
06-06-2008, 03:47 AM
But being open-minded about insane possibilities will just make you paranoid and crazy... It was my understanding that SWG Emu was offering other teams to come help here, not offering their forums and source to other teams. I doubt we'd see any loss of the community/work that's been established here; we're more likely to see progress and additions.

The problem I do see as a possible issue is how each team designs their code. SWGANH may not want some of SWGEmu's code but bits and pieces of it.

hywok
06-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Kyle, once again you live up to your title of 'all round cool guy'.

Great post, I just hope that people take note of it, and begin to start working together towards the common goal.

Ekaika
06-06-2008, 03:48 AM
Let's stop feeding the troll, he's enjoying the attention a little too much.

Aremathiea
06-06-2008, 03:52 AM
I have a question. Do the other developers have code that is compatible with SWGEMU code OR was the original post a rally call for a united dev core? I was under the impression that the codes were different.

merryxmas
06-06-2008, 04:01 AM
I have a question. Do the other developers have code that is compatible with SWGEMU code OR was the original post a rally call for a united dev core? I was under the impression that the codes were different.

Compatible under whose standards?

Good job SWGEmu devs for doing this all for the spirit of precu.

Aremathiea
06-06-2008, 04:05 AM
Compatible under whose standards?

The great Ju-Ju on the mountain..... :|
If ours (not mine heh, SWGEMUs) is complatible with theirs, then theirs MUST be compatible with ours....

gurluas
06-06-2008, 05:56 AM
So this means the future for the removed unused features i want to add(cough taanab, cough cinco_city) will be brigther?

jiveturkey124
06-06-2008, 06:05 AM
This is great news, im very excited for the future of this emu!

Aremathiea
06-06-2008, 06:07 AM
So this means the future for the removed unused features i want to add(cough taanab, cough cinco_city) will be brigther?

I am also interested in this. I have seen some videos of this, and I think anything new would be great.

Hero164
06-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Good stuff... more signs of increasing professionalism from this team.

I notice True Galaxies is again acknowledging SwgEmu and publicising it.

Xiox
06-06-2008, 06:38 AM
Man... Drama has been around for SWGEmu for as long as I can possibly remember with this project. It'll be a first if you guys actually prevent the drama from happening, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but SWGEmu in the past have ALWAYS fueled the flame, but it'll be nice to hear that this is all over and done with.

I used to always hear all sorts of crap before I left my original server "Team" if you can call it that. Everyone always in uproar about who's hacking who and so on. It was just a pile of chaos 24/7, and I just left because I couldn't stand it, it distorted the actual goal, which was to contribute one more server to the rest of the public.

Anyway good job with the post ;)

Jigoku
06-06-2008, 07:09 AM
/clap

Bravo guys Bravo indeed

praxi34
06-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Great post. I think the title explains the situation brilliantly. If not divided we will fail, may it not be by not producing the emulator but not to the standards if we were united.

OldMaster
06-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Kyle, you remind me the italian president of the Council: Silvio Berlusconi. http://www.vocinelweb.it/faccine/kaoani/16.gif
You could have a future as Politician...if you decide to create a player city, just don't forget to give me a tell! :D

Axims
06-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Combining our resources together makes perfect sense to me..we're all here for a common goal - pre-cu SWG.

Great job to Kyle for making the post to hopefully start the ball rolling!

Font
06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Very Nice post!

Nefyr
06-06-2008, 10:25 AM
<3 Kyle. It's quite true that any project is accompanied by difficulties on its road to success, however, it's how one rises above the differences that makes the difference. I think now we have a brighter future as a community and we are being recognised as such thanks to the great work of the devs.

rich8722
06-06-2008, 10:38 AM
I've always hoped this would happen. I believe it wouldn't be neccesary for each community to leave there respective forums, just combine them. To destroy all the ideas and information already posted by the community would be stupid, and all this information should be easily search for or archived if the communities combined to make one big SWG Emulator community.

I know ANH didn't have a forum, it was mainly based on the True Galaxies site, but I would think they would use this forum as TG is just a server, not the emulation project itself.

jedichuck
06-06-2008, 10:46 AM
This post, as well as Lordcorm's initiative are a gleaming ray of hope to all of us who have been and still are eagerly awaiting the release of a pre-cu emulator.

That being said, as a community member -not developer- it's much easier to help research and provide needed facts or to give feedback to a developer when they ask for it than it is to suggest fixes or changes to the game. Albiet, the game as it was in pre-cu was something incredible to us all, there is no denying the fact that it never reached it's full potential. We would all accept and embrace pre-cu as it was, there is no doubt about that. But even the community is split at times between those who are against even the slightest change to pre-cu and those of us who want to see the game fixed and tweaked to become better than it was.

The fixes and tweaks needed are nowhere as drastic as CU or NGE, or even attempting to "balance" the combat professions. We just want everyone's given specials and modifiers to work, make professions like CH, DE, Ranger, and so on viable and worth playing, as well as adding content. Afterall, there was a whole list of promises made to us from SOE that were ditched in favor of CU.

I would really hope the emu community is mature enough to understand balancing combat professions was never intended nor even reasonable as each type of combat profession was meant to have it's strengths and weaknesses in different situations. [ e.g. in no realm should one expect a fist to deliver the same damage as a high powered rifle in regards to killing a mob, nor should they be equal on open ground, however in close quarters combat the upper hand should go to the melee fighter.]

Jedi unlocking is another source of friction within each community. There are those who want to stick with the holo-grind and those who want the village - or both. Then you have those of us who want something different and verifiably random from player to player so that no one ever really knows the key to unlocking. IMO, both versions of the jedi unlock were the ultimate demise of the community of swg which lead to the destruction of pre-cu. The way I see it is that the community - or at least an overwhelming majority- abandoned their normal roles and left the rest of us in the cold looking for items we came to rely on such as chef foods, weapons, armor, and so on, while they wasted resources or churned out inferior products because they were blindly grinding instead of working on the quality of their goods. So if those same unlocking mechanisms are introduced in the emu, the community won't even have a chance. And that's what drew in and kept a lot of us playing pre-cu was the community.

To delve into some potential added content - we've tossed around the idea of Player Bounties and provided a great level of detail as to avoid griefing potential. The reason being that until there are player jedi, BH's will have no real fun being BH's. Given the fact that Han was not a jedi, but was hunted by BH's, and the thrill of having a chance to be jumped or ambushed any second really plays to the PvP'ers in the community.

These are all just abbreviated examples of some of the topics that have been tossed around the different communities. For me though, I don't feel it's appropriate for me to bug or push these ideas to the development teams unless asked for of course. I have a great respect and deep appreciation for all teams attempting to bring us a pre-cu emulator so I would much rather allow the devs to focus on getting the emu done, and not bug them to the brink of quitting because they feel like we would be "telling them what to do" rather than helping them reach the end goal.

jandar
06-06-2008, 10:57 AM
It's good to see the project maturing in this way. They have come a long ways, both technically and socially. While it is true that the light at the end of the tunnel is shining brighter than ever, the project still has a lot of ground to cover. It is my hope that this olive branch will unite us all under a common goal.

It is a good idea to be ambitious, to have goals, to want to be good at what you do, but it is a terrible mistake to let drive and ambition get in the way of treating people with kindness and decency.
Robert Solow

alexhowes1
06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
I dont post much on these forums, but this post really made me come out of my shell :D

Great Post Kyle!
:)

aeludor
06-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I think it was best said... Cautiously optimistic. I won't dwell on the negative that's happened in the past and I will hope for the best, but I will remain cautious.

It would be good to see the different teams working together without friction or competition. Good luck on this endeavor folks.
- Aeludor, the Kindergarden Cop

Neoc
06-06-2008, 11:17 AM
http://www.highvolumemedia.com/thebullhorn/images/OperationIraqiFreedom/al-SahafMohammedSaeed-IraqiInformationMinister.jpg

I agree!

Galatic
06-06-2008, 11:28 AM
glad to see everyone putting the past behind them and that SWGEmu is opening up like this :D

Also I think this is the first time I've ever posted here

Mr_Red_X
06-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I once loathed your team. Really I did. but this post took you guys somewhere else. you admited you were wrong. that takes some balls which most people don't have.

I'm so glad you guys went with lordcom and want to reunite the emulation project. hopefully snow will come back with you guys....well you guys should keep his team's logo. it's so cool.

goldcrud
06-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Awesome post and I totally agree the past is gone lets look to the future. I myself have not seen any big fights over the past year or so you devs are doing a good job in forgetting the past and uniting the community in my opinion.

Kyle
06-06-2008, 12:29 PM
I agree!

Nice. I loved that guy.

Lordcorm
06-06-2008, 12:31 PM

No, SWGEmu will not back out of this. They have been with my idea of unification from that start (the first letter i sent out before i quit SWGPreCU). This is soley a problem with ANH not wanted to join, which is why i quit them shortly after joining.

No word from PW yet, i believe the reason for that is, they are on a completely different language (Java not C++), which changes the whole game in getting them to unifi.

But, that said i do know Maach_Ine, and i believe he would if he got the chance, talk about the situation.

This whole unification thing has been going on longer then it appears. But, SWGEmu is deciding to take it another step up, by calling all the teams out in public. (Which takes some serious guts) All previous stuff has been done in private for the most part.

G/J SWGEmu

EDIT: They and everyone else that is enthusiastic about the unification have done what they can. Its now up to ANH.

Tothix
06-06-2008, 12:32 PM
@ merryxmas

Ok, WTF? Right after Kyle's post (it was very well put together BTW), you have trolling this thread, and you made a picture insulting the SWGEmu community (the thread was just deleted 5 minutes ago). I don't know what you are trying to do, maybe trying to get some attention? Well I don't care about the reason. Just some advice.

Piss off.

PhantomLeader
06-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Don't take merryxmas seriously. He is just trying to stir up drama; let's not be baited to do ourselves what he is trying to accomplish.

Aside from those sorts of posts... I declare this thread to be win. :)

Lordcorm
06-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Don't take merryxmas seriously. He is just trying to stir up drama; let's not be baited to do ourselves what he is trying to accomplish.

I would most certainly have to concur :)

maowan
06-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Empty vessels make more noise

Tothix
06-06-2008, 12:41 PM

Agreed.

And Also:

Kyle is as wise as Master Yoda, and as powerful as Master Windu.

Kyle
06-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Agreed.

And Also:

Kyle is as wise as Master Yoda, and as powerful as Master Windu.

=)

This post was a collective effort by the staff, not just me, but I like the quote.

Tothix
06-06-2008, 12:55 PM
=)

This post was a collective effort by the staff, not just me, but I like the quote.

Well lets give a hand for the staff!

***Clapz***

Ekaika
06-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Exciting stuff. Nothing but good can come from this, and hey if it doesn't fly, we're still right where we are now, which isn't a bad place to be ;)

Agi'nor
06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
For the good of the game and wide reaching community i hope all the **** gone before can be water under the bridge .

SCM
06-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Firstly well said Kyle it has been a long time coming for those of us watching the Emu scene on and off. I am a long time lurker here just due to the atmosphere of the past that the forums seemed to have had and it's nice to see peace is breaking out :) Have been on the various versions of the forums along the way lurking mainly so i have been here since the idea of an Emu emerged.

As Agi said above hopefully everyone puts aside their perceptions of other teams, the supporters from those teams and start with a clean slate for all. The past is the past now and it should remain there no matter what.

SCM

StormZ
06-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Great post. I really hope all the communities can set aside their differences and work together.

Hobino
06-06-2008, 03:44 PM
As I'm sure a lot of you know, one of the most common questions is: 'Will there be enough people to stop deserted planets and have a strong and active community?' In my opinion it is only through genuine unity that a community as vast and varying as the pre-cu community we knew and loved can be regained.

Thank you SWG:EMU team for making this IMO very mature descision, it is about time someone made a move towards unity rather than looking for the next thing to accuse and attack whoever for.

And as always, keep up the good work :)

Krisegon
06-06-2008, 04:18 PM
You guys rock... all of you.

Rampage
06-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Good Post,

/target SWGEMU_DEVS;
/Pause 2;
/Clap;
/Pause 2;
/point;
/Pause 2;
/cheer;
/Pause 2;
/Hi5;

merryxmas
06-06-2008, 05:09 PM
One question. why did my picture get deleted? It isn't offensive at all. It's the AARP logo for "Divided we fail."

What ever I said before is only to get SWGEmu on the right track. Now im getting trolled on as a deviant. Guys, grow up and if you would have in the past maybe you wouldn't be in this situation. I am very offended now.

Galatic
06-06-2008, 05:15 PM
One question. why did my picture get deleted? It isn't offensive at all. It's the AARP logo for "Divided we fail."

What ever I said before is only to get SWGEmu on the right track. Now im getting trolled on as a deviant. Guys, grow up and if you would have in the past maybe you wouldn't be in this situation. I am very offended now.

never saw the picture he was referring to but perhaps this isn't the place to be arguing about such things, I'm not going to jump to any conclusions as to weather or not he was wright or wrong but let's just get back on track.

Good Job SWGEmu :)

merryxmas
06-06-2008, 05:22 PM
never saw the picture he was referring to but perhaps this isn't the place to be arguing about such things, I'm not going to jump to any conclusions as to weather or not he was wright or wrong but let's just get back on track.

Agreed. Good Job SWGEmu.

Saromus
06-06-2008, 05:27 PM

yes, please don't argue about things that have nothing to do with this thread; If you want to argue take it somewhere else.

rich8722
06-06-2008, 05:31 PM

Bro, I think the reason everyone is getting mad at you here, is because you are accusing SWGEmu only, on SWGEmu's boards, when we are here trying to unite everyone.

Don't come to the SWGEmu boards simplying accusing JUST SWGEmu and telling our devs they need to get back on track. Simply its the community of developers, meaning all teams and communities.

And wah, don't worry yourself too much being offended by people on a forum, I sure as hell don't. :rolleyes:

Saromus
06-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Your pic post was deleted, big deal, as im aware, it was turning the thread into a flame thread, end of discussion back on topic.

Neoc
06-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Your pic post was deleted, big deal, as im aware, it was turning the thread into a flame thread, end of discussion back on topic.

You really don't need to use so many commas fyi.

Saromus
06-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Don't criticize proper internet grammer lol. xD

spyman290
06-06-2008, 06:36 PM
As some one who has been following this for a while I am glad to see this happening, we have had an explosion of content when you did the partial open source now just think of how much faster it will go with everyone united. Good Jobs Devs /clap /cheer /hi5

Neoc
06-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Don't criticize proper internet grammar lol. xD

Ok.

Saromus
06-06-2008, 06:40 PM
lol

Rampage
06-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I just cant wait until they update us on whats happening.. far as i know the each team has some parts of the game done that each other has not goten yet... COULD make for a nice update ;)

brunions
06-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Ok.

What?

mysingerd
06-06-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm not very optimistic on this. From what I've read it would be impossible for Swgemu code to be used in other emulators and vice versa.

If this is merely a post inquiring about a group hug then great, but I don't see the projects moving further at a faster pace because of it. Years have been put into each project and it will be difficult to talk anyone into giving up on their project.

Hopefully I'm wrong because I would like to play SWG again before I die :D

Ekaika
06-06-2008, 08:10 PM
I don't think it's about abandoning one set of code, or trying to blend the 2 or 3 together into one. My interpretation is that it's gathering all the coders into one place to share ideas.

Tothix
06-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Or possibly share information. I think it would just be better to work on the best Emulator and abandon the others, to get all the Devs working on one.

Nanaki
06-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Or possibly share information. I think it would just be better to work on the best Emulator and abandon the others, to get all the Devs working on one.

Common sense prevails.

Iakimo
06-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Well, it's certainly good to see the dialogue opening up between the various emulator camps. I heartily agree: Pooled knowledge and expertise from all concerned will definitely be stronger than knowledge and expertise used separately. Bumps and hiccups can be expected in the process of coming together, but if we all thought alike, how could we expect to improve? Keeps life from getting dull, methinks.

It's all an iron-sharpening-iron process, and it will work out -- if we want it to.

(pause for huzzahs. /grin.... )

Anyway, if y'all want to see something to fire your creative juices in this unifying effort, you might want to take a look around the Creature Handler Profession forum. We've been working to compile as many pre-CU stats on tameable creatures as we can. Tolbat's been working on a Creature Scrapbook, (http://swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11543) we've been linking to the Internet Archive Project's Way-Back Machine to pull up pre-CU versions of creature listings from SWGCreatures.com, and Hiddukel's been compiling it all into a cool spreadsheet. (http://swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10888&page=5) It's all there for anyone to take a look -- ANH, SWGPreCU, whomever.

In addition to the Scrapbook and the spreadsheet, we have threads linking directly to pre-cu listings for:
Tatooine Tameable Creatures (http://swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11571)
Naboo Tameable Creatures (http://swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11328)
Rori Tameable Creatures (http://swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11355)
Endor Tameable Creatures (http://swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11429)
Dathomir Tameable Creatures (http://swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11612)
(Still to come: Lok, Corellia, Yavin-IV, Dantooine, and Talus.)

One item of particular relevance for us in the CH Forum is info on which lair types were used by which creatures in wild spawns... you may notice we're rather thin on that item, especially on less-traveled planets such as Rori.

I'm looking forward to working with all the gang from ALL emulator projects, in whatever capacity.

Tothix
06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
So any news? The wait is unbarable.

Ekaika
06-06-2008, 10:21 PM
I asked in IRC earlier, the word is nothing new, yet.

david665
06-06-2008, 10:36 PM
The unification doesn't, IMHO, hinge on the compatibility of code. If the SWGEmu guys are having trouble with a feature, being able to ICQ the guys at SWG:ANH and say, "Yo, I got this problem..." and the ANH guys looked at it and said "Have you tried this?" and it helped the SWGEmu guys make headway, that's a win.

For the ANH guys to ask the Emu guys and get positive results from the return help, that's a win.

Sometimes you need someone outside the problem to look at it, cuz they have a different perspective and can come at it from another angle. And you never know, resolutions reached this way might be cross-platform solutions. That's a win/win or win/win/win if True Galaxies gets into the unification project.

Being able to share info that helps all involved, even if the code itself isn't compatible, is just the pwnsauce any way you cut it.

Seaseme
06-06-2008, 11:51 PM
The unification doesn't, IMHO, hinge on the compatibility of code. If the SWGEmu guys are having trouble with a feature, being able to ICQ the guys at SWG:ANH and say, "Yo, I got this problem..." and the ANH guys looked at it and said "Have you tried this?" and it helped the SWGEmu guys make headway, that's a win.

For the ANH guys to ask the Emu guys and get positive results from the return help, that's a win.

Sometimes you need someone outside the problem to look at it, cuz they have a different perspective and can come at it from another angle. And you never know, resolutions reached this way might be cross-platform solutions. That's a win/win or win/win/win if True Galaxies gets into the unification project.

Being able to share info that helps all involved, even if the code itself isn't compatible, is just the pwnsauce any way you cut it.
Who uses ICQ still?

Max
06-07-2008, 12:10 AM

Good post.

I know that when I've spent many many hours on things like speeches, essays etc, a fresh set of eyes offering their opinion is exactly what is needed. Whilst I have no experience out side of web development, I would imagine fresh eyes are always a bonus in IT as well.

toilet_duck
06-07-2008, 12:45 AM
This is a step in right direction. It takes some large external spheroids to do what the SWGEmu team has done here. I hope that all the individual communities/projects can drop the drama and pool their collective resources in synergy with each other.

Lantic
06-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Cheers All around! :)

Good work to the staff and Community.

Rehhtahn
06-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Thank you for the post Kyle, I too agree that if we want to succeed we as a community must stick together. Many people choose to post on their own private forums, and that should not be discouraged, but if you have an idea that you believe should be implemented, or some new way of doing something, let the developers know about it.

I personally believe that the failure of SoE's SWG project was partly the community's responsibilty. Some people wanted the game changed to the CU, other's wanted it to stay, but instead of discussing it responsibly, many resorted to meer taunts and insults. Now I am not saying that it is entirely the community's fault either, but in the long haul the more the community communicates with the developers(and that includes letting them know when they are doing something right) the faster and better the final product will become.

We must stand united, we must help each other, even if those dirty imperials stole your lunch money or those nasty rebels blew up your imperial base, leave such strife in the past and come together to form a unified front, helpful to the project leaders.

Rehhtahn
06-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Good post.

I know that when I've spent many many hours on things like speeches, essays etc, a fresh set of eyes offering their opinion is exactly what is needed. Whilst I have no experience out side of web development, I would imagine fresh eyes are always a bonus in IT as well.
IT is no different.

You can compare writing code to building a website from the ground up. Sometimes you just need a coworker(or even some random guy) to say, "Hey, it would look cool if you did this!" or "Wow, this part of the page would be perfect to put such and such!". At the bare minimum it can spark idea's and lead to new and exciting stuff.

Shardivh
06-07-2008, 04:29 AM
There are too many teams out there trying to make a SWG emulator. The teams need to pool their resources so we can have many develpoers on a single project! I (and i am sure many others) hope that a merge can be agreed on by the two main SWG emulator teams, Emu and ANH, so the community can finally take back what was stolen!

Tow'lin
06-07-2008, 09:01 AM
It still impressing to see such a positive response from the community. With word of SOE pulling the plug on SWG in 2009, this emulator may become the only source for any SWG. I will stand by this emu to the end because its something that is truly amazing.

maowan
06-07-2008, 09:14 AM
With word of SOE pulling the plug on SWG in 2009, this emulator may become the only source for any SWG.

Can I see your source link please? Ive thought myself that surely the plug must be getting pulled very soon, but is it just rumours youre basing it on? Id be interested to see if anything has been documented that mentions 2009

Also if this is the case, I really really really hope the different Emu teams can join forces to bring back a game that doesnt exist in any form, it would be incredible. Imagine in 2004 or so, If someone had said to you "in 4 - 5 years time this game will be taken back from SOE who tried to destroy it and into the hands of the community and be free to play!" youd have thought they were crazy. Its good grounds for a movie or book :)

Smannesman
06-07-2008, 09:16 AM
I'll miss the soap opera drama, but I'm sure this will be better in the long run.

numa
06-07-2008, 09:47 AM
I hope to see a unification of the talent in the community, and am thankful that the SWGEmu developers are planning to keep this project open source.

Great job guys - I hope you can make it happen.

Zaff
06-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Any sharing of information and cooperation between the emu teams to accelerate progress on their respective servers is a win for the community. And if cooperation can begin, then the community members and the developers who have abandoned support of the emu's will have a hope that there is something worth returning to.

/cheers

CaptJones
06-07-2008, 10:10 AM
What?
Ok....

TheAsyt
06-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Very good post, and very good point, Kyle. And god, if I was halfway computer literate, I'd try and help out.. Still, I'll try and do my part by doing random stuff on the TC and reporting any odd things I see :D

TheA-froChild
06-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Absolutely GREAT post there kyle...

I love you :D

Tow'lin
06-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Can I see your source link please? Ive thought myself that surely the plug must be getting pulled very soon, but is it just rumours youre basing it on? Id be interested to see if anything has been documented that mentions 2009

Your right, they are just rumors, though they are quite beleivable. There are many sites that have stories from SOE reps saying that LA isn't pulling their license. I wouldn't be suprised if they do though, with a new SW MMO on the horizon from BioWare. Most of the articles are from back in 2006, so things may have changed, who knows. Hopefully none of this will change the outlook of the Emu.

Regards,
Tow'lin Tow

Shrek98
06-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Bro, I think the reason everyone is getting mad at you here, is because you are accusing SWGEmu only, on SWGEmu's boards, when we are here trying to unite everyone.

Don't come to the SWGEmu boards simplying accusing JUST SWGEmu and telling our devs they need to get back on track. Simply its the community of developers, meaning all teams and communities.

And wah, don't worry yourself too much being offended by people on a forum, I sure as hell don't. :rolleyes:

I'm not defending or attacking the poster you talk of but remember this - we can't post all post on the ANH forum about this as it's not open to everyone. So an open discussion can only happen here.

I've got my fingers crossed about information sharing (merging is not really feasible with different cores/engines). As was made clear in Kyle's OP, this is about not having to repeat collection of info - the research that the Representatives are asking for here and that ANH is asking for. Pooling the researched info could significantly shorten the process.

The only likelihood it might not come to pass is if people are not willing to let bygones be bygones, or if they perceive they have more info and so would gain significantly less than they provide. I don't think either of these will happen so I'm hopeful.

But attacking people on the forum is/was a thing of the past that hopefully we are all moving away from.

TankGun
06-07-2008, 02:49 PM
This is good, this will help the progress for further and will help raise the over all number of supporters for the Emu.

rich8722
06-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm not defending or attacking the poster you talk of but remember this - we can't post all post on the ANH forum about this as it's not open to everyone. So an open discussion can only happen here.

I've got my fingers crossed about information sharing (merging is not really feasible with different cores/engines). As was made clear in Kyle's OP, this is about not having to repeat collection of info - the research that the Representatives are asking for here and that ANH is asking for. Pooling the researched info could significantly shorten the process.

The only likelihood it might not come to pass is if people are not willing to let bygones be bygones, or if they perceive they have more info and so would gain significantly less than they provide. I don't think either of these will happen so I'm hopeful.

But attacking people on the forum is/was a thing of the past that hopefully we are all moving away from.
For a while True Galaxies has been used as SWGANH's means of communication so most of the development discussion on there part has been done there, tis all I meant. He came here accusing only us, not both teams. Kyle specifically called out both teams for doing wrongs....well not specifics but he didn't blame any which side for the non-cooperation we are having.

I'm not attacking him, but I am letting him know why his words are offensive to the SWGEmu devs and community and why some others are lashing out at him.

Roidrage667
06-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Hopefully the movement is large enough to bring everybody together. One party can only do so much for unification.

Zeridian
06-07-2008, 05:25 PM
This is awesome.
Been wanting to see a movement to get all the dev groups together for a long time.
Though, I got to say, there has got to be some pride and stubbornness issues that are going to arise from the concept. (Not saying from whom... >_>)

Kyle > Chuck Norris :D

Imperialassasin
06-07-2008, 08:06 PM
This is awesome.
Been wanting to see a movement to get all the dev groups together for a long time.
Though, I got to say, there has got to be some pride and stubbornness issues that are going to arise from the concept. (Not saying from whom... >_>)

Kyle = Chuck Norris :D

fixed, nothing is GREATER then him

Zeridian
06-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Lol

True....true...

Thrin
06-07-2008, 09:19 PM
My past with this team has been pretty tangled in love and hate. During the Moderator split I left to join ANH and that was the end of my time with SWGemu. It seems though that things have deffinetly changed. And the olive branch has been extended I will make some olive oil =P You have my apologies from so long ago, I accept yours.

Also, speaking as a member of ANH, I would not mind seeing a joint effort form. Whatever may happen between our respective teams however, I'm greatfull that the slate is wiped clean.

EVILJUDE
06-07-2008, 09:23 PM
i certianly hope this can be done. it will make it just that much stronger.

Rhotten
06-08-2008, 01:08 AM
awesome, im sure great things r to come

Cam_870
06-08-2008, 01:27 AM
this makes me happy... and by happy i mean really happy... :D

salmarino
06-08-2008, 02:10 AM
That's right, hug it out *****es.

PlasmaFlow
06-08-2008, 02:47 AM
Im Listening.....

Iorri Toce'tah
06-08-2008, 04:55 AM
good post i hope those at chimeara have read this also

SCM
06-08-2008, 05:23 AM
Yeah the Chimeara people have seen this :)

Ekaika
06-08-2008, 05:27 AM
Im Listening.....

Welcome :)

Piekokas
06-08-2008, 09:05 AM
good post i hope those at chimeara have read this also

We did... =)

I'm just waiting now for further development on this issue... ;)

P.S.: I'm in no way part of the Euro-Chimaera staff. I'm just a member of that community, so take my opinion as my own and not as an official euro-chimaera stand.

hinch
06-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Just to let you know how EC stands at the moment.

EC supports any and all emu teams and will pick to use the emu that provides the best and most bug free experience to its members.
This could be the first emu released it could be the last it matters not to us.

Having said that we agree open communication with regards to research information rather than functional happenings is a good thing.
Perhaps one team has mapped out all mob spawns on all planets that information could help the other team implement it faster like wise one team may have all schematics in sharing would help.
This information won't effect the "who's better" discussion or how code develops but will help remove some of the tedious grunt work out of building an emu and we fully support that.

However due to past happening and treatment of both EC and its members/staff we are still in a position where we do not endorse or support the SWGEmu team. Whilst we wish them luck, at current and until such attempts are made by the Emu team to rectify previous issues we still put our primary support behind the ANH guys we feel our input and communication with them at current is more appreciated and we have greater input into the development cycle.

We also have a list of other issues currently surrounding the SWGEmu development that causes great concerns to us and in all previous statements and posts by the SWGEmu team these concerns have not been addressed rather compounded.

We recently made attempts to open discussions with the SWGEmu team to discuss our position and attempt to resolve the previous situation however we were left hanging on IRC with no turn out from the SWGEmu team.

As it stands at the moment we welcome the SWGEmu team to come to us to discuss things further however will make no further attempts to do this in the reverse.

We are however looking at strengthening ties between ourselves and some of the other server communities out there and these talks are progressing quite well.

This as I say is our stance at current and may indeed change in the future.

maowan
06-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Excellent positive vibe from all repective diplomats here, keep it up guys

Theoderean
06-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Whilst we wish them luck, at current and until such attempts are made by the Emu team to rectify previous issues we still...

We also have a list of other issues currently surrounding the SWGEmu development that causes great concerns to us and in all previous statements and posts by the SWGEmu team these concerns have not been addressed rather compounded.

They are addressing all of the disagreements and e-drama together, rather than individually. I think they just wanted to address everything that has happened in the past, to 'wipe the slate clean', whether it be with specific development teams, or communities.

We would like the entire SWG emulation community to know that the SWGEmu team is wiping the slate clean. We strive to have no more grudges, no more enemies, and no more juvenile affairs. If we have wronged you, please accept our apologies. If you have wronged us, please accept our forgiveness. Furthermore, even if you were, are, or think you might be, an "enemy", we extend an olive branch to anyone who wants to be a part of a unified effort for Pre-CU.

However, im sure they will be willing to talk, and try and clean things up, once and for all... again.

Kyle
06-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Just to let you know how EC stands at the moment.

EC supports any and all emu teams and will pick to use the emu that provides the best and most bug free experience to its members.
This could be the first emu released it could be the last it matters not to us.

Having said that we agree open communication with regards to research information rather than functional happenings is a good thing.
Perhaps one team has mapped out all mob spawns on all planets that information could help the other team implement it faster like wise one team may have all schematics in sharing would help.
This information won't effect the "who's better" discussion or how code develops but will help remove some of the tedious grunt work out of building an emu and we fully support that.

However due to past happening and treatment of both EC and its members/staff we are still in a position where we do not endorse or support the SWGEmu team. Whilst we wish them luck, at current and until such attempts are made by the Emu team to rectify previous issues we still put our primary support behind the ANH guys we feel our input and communication with them at current is more appreciated and we have greater input into the development cycle.

We recently made attempts to open discussions with the SWGEmu team to discuss our position and attempt to resolve the previous situation however we were left hanging on IRC with no turn out from the SWGEmu team.

As it stands at the moment we welcome the SWGEmu team to come to us to discuss things further however will make no further attempts to do this in the reverse.

We are however looking at strengthening ties between ourselves and some of the other server communities out there and these talks are progressing quite well.

This as I say is our stance at current and may indeed change in the future.

I do see that you posted this after I did come to you specifically, on your forums, to open lines of communication. I also have been set up in your IRC to talk about issues. If you are looking for open communications, then just talk back. I am looking forward to hearing from you, when you are ready to respond with a conversation.

hinch
06-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I do see that you posted this after I did come to you specifically, on your forums, to open lines of communication. I also have been set up in your IRC to talk about issues. If you are looking for open communications, then just talk back. I am waiting to hear from you, when you are ready to respond with a conversation.

As stated in the PM I'm rarely if ever on IRC I'll be sending you a detailed PM when I get chance away from work with a list of our issues.

I refer primarily though to an attempt a couple of weeks back by us to arrange an IRC meeting with the emu team (as many as possible) to discuss previous issues. At the agreed time/place the EC members were all there however not a single one of your team appeared which again to us felt like a snub of our community.

Anyway as stated we've read and are aware of your intentions and we'll be in touch shortly.

maowan
06-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Good guys, pat on the back :)

SWGManiac
06-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm glad things are progressing and maturing. This is excellent news and an excellent post at that. Hopefully, like said, we can band together and achieve our primary purpose, to relive preCU.

Saromus
06-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Im glad to see some old folks, from SWGPreCu uniting :) (speaking about lordcorm and Powerking so far), i've noticed snow in irc for the past day or two. Im glad we're pulling this off, old friendships becoming reborn friendships.

Trugamr12
06-08-2008, 06:51 PM
this is like SWGEmu's version of the I Have A Dream speech truly a masterpiece

MiniMe
06-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Well as a 44 year old housewife who lost her child (original swg), and who knows nothing about computers other than typing and playing, I've WANTED to be more involved... The obstacle for me has been that I cannot figure out how to submit any bug reports, and I can't get any help explaining to me HOW to submit them so that I can at least be your beta slave! Very frustrating when the only thing I can contribute are bug reports and then not being able to submit them. So after running around back in April with nothing but my undies on and a missing inventory, I decided I'd just have to wait for the developing gods to finish this project, or check in from time to time to see if there was a system set up for reporting any bugs. :P

I love the unity theme, and love and appreciate all of you who DO contribute and only hope that the people who are complaining or are throwing wrenches in the wheels would cease in their selffish spoiled baby attitudes and get with the program.

IF anyone has any way to explain (in layman terms) how to submit bug reports and possilbe donations, I'd be happy to at least help out in those two areas... especially when I go back to work later on this year!

Smartyr
06-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Thank you for finally coming out and saying this. You've restored my faith in the project, and I'm ready for the great things to come.

ChristopherMistwalker
06-09-2008, 12:56 AM
The reason we've all been dedicated to SWGEMU for so long. True, good leaders. Got lots of faith in ya Devs.

Valis
06-09-2008, 07:07 AM
This is what some of us has been talking about, for years now, almost. Hope Xeno is around somewhere to see it. ;)

Nice to see it all might work out in the end. Glad that my 3 years here, hasn't been a waste.

Van
06-09-2008, 11:22 AM
/Two Thumbs up!

It's good to see you extend the olive branch. Hopefully this will draw in more people for the sake of the pre-cu. If ANH doesn't jump on board it's ashame, but still their call. At least you made the effort for the project, for the community. Thank you.

Zeridian
06-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Killin' me, waiting for that response :(

Psykeman420
06-09-2008, 04:57 PM
I am thrilled to read this, the splintering is what turned me off as a player to the Emu project as a whole, I had to register on this forum again it's been that long lol. Either way glad to see patching up has begun and hopefully this gets things going at a much more desired speed.

:)

Klanagh
06-09-2008, 05:51 PM
One of the main points for me is giving credit where it's due: to ALL the Developers of a Pre-CU Emulator.

No matter who comes from what team, how they got here, or what's happened in the past, the individual names of those who make it happen will be remembered above all else.

When it's all said and done, just alphabetize the credits so no one feels marginalized. :)

Jongo
06-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I only post once in awhile and log on to the server here and there, but I have been watching this project from the beginning.

The degree of courtesy and professionalism that has been shown over the past few months continues to amaze me. The fact that everyone working on this project is doing this as a labor of love just further illustrates this.

This project has been and will continue to be a remarkable success.

toilet_duck
06-09-2008, 09:03 PM
The invidivual SWG Emulation communities must unite to accomplish their common goal(s). It would be absolutely epic if each of the communities could lay down their grudges/drama and work together in synergy.

ankido
06-10-2008, 12:51 AM
I don't know what's going on but it seems like there are two groups working on a SWG EMU am I right? Drama is the root of all evil when there is a community of people involved. This goes for real life and online gaming. Here is my two cents from someone who has no clue what's going on. Oh, that was a great post, amazingly epic. :)

1. If there are two groups working on a SWG Pre CU then apparently one of the teams is not working for the actual PRE CU but for the glory of saying "WE DID IT". If you cared enough for the community of people around the world who would love to take a shot at PRE CU then by all means joins forces and stop being ****ing douche bags. You are not working for a major company but for the sheer enjoyment and dedication to the game that was once in our hearts a great ****ing MMO.

2. The community of people wanting to play PRE CU is going to completely die. There is a reason why game companies have deadlines. Reason one would be to release the game on a certain date so that the company can start, of course, making $$$$$$ and improving the title to the best of their ability and the communities helpful suggestions. If you continue to have the game in beta for a massive amount of time, and from what I'm hearing SWGEmu has been going on for a long time; you will lose the community that's here to help.

3. How far are you from launch? What do you need help with so that we can begin the process of quickly launching? I've been really lazy so I haven't read any progression but don't feel obligated to answer, I will research this on my own. From what I've played in SWGEmu there's really not much you can do and the game feels as though it's 10% complete.

Help me help you!
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!! <--- Sorry this is all Jerry Maguire movie quotes.

Good luck at what your doing and I'm here to help as I believe everyone else is doing. SWG will never die and hopefully we can reach out to those who lost the love for PRE CU and let Team SWGEmu motivate them to come back.

If I didn't make any sense, please slap me around and call me Suzan.:O

maowan
06-10-2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks for your post Suzan :)

Ekaika
06-10-2008, 06:50 AM
@ankido

Nice post! Some of those questions are answered already though. Especially #3. We definitely need help! There's 32 professions in the game, and as they come to the drawing table, new and unique challenges present themselves. We need the community!!!

At this time, there is a HUGE request for community support for Doctor, Creature Handler, Squad Leader (yes, that's mine :) and many others.

Please check into the profession forums and help out where you can. The more help we have, the sooner it's done.

Thrin
06-10-2008, 10:28 AM
This is what some of us has been talking about, for years now, almost. Hope Xeno is around somewhere to see it. ;)

Nice to see it all might work out in the end. Glad that my 3 years here, hasn't been a waste.
Xenozephyr is aware of the post and has seen it. Though his opinions towards SWGemu have not changed.

maowan
06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Xenozephyr is aware of the post and has seen it. Though his opinions towards SWGemu have not changed.

where does this leave the situation?

Ohmek
06-10-2008, 11:41 AM
If i was an emotional person i would have shed a tear right now. This thread is producing such a strong force no one can comprehend it.:ewok:

Soapflake
06-10-2008, 04:26 PM

And he obviously hasn't given swgemu a fair chance since the change in policy. His loss.

syvart
06-10-2008, 04:27 PM
A shame. It looks like ANH is not interested. If they were they would have said something by now.

maowan
06-10-2008, 05:54 PM
How do we even know what Thrin said is true, keep the faith guys

Shrek98
06-10-2008, 06:16 PM
ANH and Emu are chatting still - though you and I think we are important, there are times when the bosses need to speak and we need to be waiting - so let's wait?

Xeno is an aspect of ANH? I've never seen him post on ANH forums and in several years he's only posted there 7 times and is not there with the title developer it seems.

The reference to him is someone here trying to undermine what present people are doing. There may be a reason why 'problems' from the past are not included in this - from both sides.

Let them get on with it and see how it goes eh?

Thrin
06-10-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm a close friend with Xeno, its just the way he feels. And he shares information with ANH but is not "officially" part of us anymore.

jiveturkey124
06-10-2008, 07:25 PM
I think everyone needs to just let everything in the past fall to the wayside.

Its funny because me and all my friends are metal-heads, only thing is, we all have different tastes and opinions on metal.

I like more 80's Thrash and Melodic Metal, where as my friend John like Death Metal, and Black metal. But at the core we still have many of the same likes with metal. The one thing we all hate is Hardcore, Hardcore Dancers, and The Death Metal kids that just play breakdowns and act like they are playing death metal.

So even though we get into arguments we still all have that one thing in common, we all hate hardcore/fake death metal kids.

I believe that is how it should be here with the Emu's, We may all have different teams, different forums, and different thoughts on the Emu.

But we all hate one thing, SoE, specifically the people that ruined are game, and took away what we loved so dear.

In that hate, we should all find friendship.

-Jive

Valis
06-11-2008, 09:21 AM
ANH and Emu are chatting still - though you and I think we are important, there are times when the bosses need to speak and we need to be waiting - so let's wait?

Xeno is an aspect of ANH? I've never seen him post on ANH forums and in several years he's only posted there 7 times and is not there with the title developer it seems.

The reference to him is someone here trying to undermine what present people are doing. There may be a reason why 'problems' from the past are not included in this - from both sides.

Let them get on with it and see how it goes eh?

No, he's not a part if it, AFAIK. He left to concentrate on his studies, if I remember correctly. Been some time since I spoke with him, but back in the days, long before there were any code or server, he was the one I talked most with and remembering what he said the last time we spoke I just wanted to be sure he saw all of this. To me, he's one of the reasons this all came about. ;)

Nadya Popova
06-11-2008, 01:05 PM
"The needs of the many, out weigh the needs of the few....Or the one"

Some guy with pointed ears

Ekaika
06-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Look at it this way guys. If there's even one talented guy that agrees to the sharing of talent and info, we win. Every single person ever associated with emulation doesn't have to join hands in a circle and sing kumbaya for this to be considered a success.

Let's do as Shrek said and chill out and wait. Things are good right now, let's work on what we can in the meantime.

jonna
06-11-2008, 03:35 PM
/support

syvart
06-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Look at it this way guys. If there's even one talented guy that agrees to the sharing of talent and info, we win. Every single person ever associated with emulation doesn't have to join hands in a circle and sing kumbaya for this to be considered a success.

Let's do as Shrek said and chill out and wait. Things are good right now, let's work on what we can in the meantime.

Very true. I hope they will update us letting us know if someone has joined to assist the team

Tow'lin
06-11-2008, 04:41 PM
There will probably be an update on in the next biweekly (which should be soon).

Regards,
Tow'lin Tow

david665
06-11-2008, 04:51 PM
But we all hate one thing, SoE, specifically the people that ruined are game, and took away what we loved so dear.

In that hate, we should all find friendship.

-Jive

Sounds perilously close to the Dark Side, young Padawan.....:D

Mr_Red_X
06-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Before I continue I will say by no means do I represent ANH or my server community. I am here to represent my beleifs and my goal of progress.

ALSO

I am a horrible typist and as such I want to be taken as seriously as a good typist. I also want no comments on my horrible grammar.

players in my community are quitting due to this stupid war. the thing is, these are good people. I can't let this continue. I want to broker a deal between the two of you. The players will loose if we can't get this done.

I am a tester of ANH's closed server. so I feel I can understand ANH's veiws to a degree where my goal can be achived. however I do not know enough on SWG emu so I feel that emu should take my reccomendations into consideration for now. I must also understand SWGwmu's needs. I am alos wrinting down problems I see in the both of you.

Your teams need to compromise. you can't seem to do that, so without further ado, here we go

Problem #1: ANH's devs feel that their 2 years of work will be watsed with a meger

Solution: Use ANH's code and coding methods. Your way of randomly adding in features has no rhyme or reason. Although it works, it seems to be on the inefficent side.

Problem #2: People on SWGEMU's community/team anger ANH supporters.

Solution: get a better moderating staff and ban overly agressive people. or simply throw out the forum alltogether.

Problem #3: ANH is way too freaking tight lipped.

Solution: SWGEMU's current way of PR will continue. On the site PR is SWGEMU's biggest strength. SWG EMU's communtiy forum also allows players to know what is going on. it may cause problems (overly angry immature posterss that tarnish the coder's image) so that will need to be figured out as well.

I want this to happen. this is too good. you guys need to compromise not end up like the UN.

Ekaika
06-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Brilliant, let's do what this guy says.

edit: wow. ok. for those that seem to think I'm agreeing with this guy. I'm not. Sarcasm, look into it. el fin

Retired
06-13-2008, 04:29 PM
People need to thicken their skins.

This is SWG, one of the most competitive MMO's to ever hit the Market.

I'm happy enough with TrueGalaxies and SWGEmu being okay with eachother now.

Will ANH and Emu team up to finish Pre-CU? I don't know, quite frankly, I couldn't care less. The rate of progress is staggering lately, that it really doesn't matter who "wins" anymore. It was never a competition for the Staff from my point of view, the Community made the largest problems out of this by thinking they can speak for the Staff. (Just my opinion).

I don't think SWGEmu need to change anymore than they already have done. It's an amazing team, the Community... well... expect flamers. It's a very large competitive game. The Moderator Team do an amazing job at keeping the majority of it off the boards, believe me.

If ANH had a Public TestCenter, and a Public Forum that is easily accessible, they'd have just as much Flaming and Drama on their boards.

It's not a problem, it's actually a good thing from where I'm standing.. it just goes to show everyones edging to play the game and get this competition going again.

If ANH Supporters get angry with the SWGEmu team... so what? They're just proving that the Staff / Teams "issues" (that are gone) is more important to them, than Pre-CU. I'd rather not have players like that, but thats just me. Don't like what you see, don't read it. You don't have to sift through flames to see the Updates ;) You open it all by your choice.

If you think back, this Forum is incredibly tame compared to the Flame/Bashing sessions we all had Pre-CU on the SOE Forums. Remember the inter-server wars? C'mon, some classics happened.

I'm sorry, but I agree with very little of what you've said.

SoapSud
06-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Excellent post Megatron, very well put.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

PhantomLeader
06-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Problem #2: People on SWGEMU's community/team anger ANH supporters.

Solution: get a better moderating staff and ban overly agressive people. or simply throw out the forum alltogether.

I believe the moderating staff is doing a wonderful job as it is; with all the new moderators, things have been very quiet on the forums.
As for the bannings, this is precisely what we wish to avoid. We've been trying to keep the number of bannings down, as they have a tenancy to cause outcry among the community. I'd rather not have ban-happy mods, and I'm sure most everyone agrees with me.
And, banning people really isn't necessary. The community has recently become exponentially more helpful and friendly than before. The only exception is on the IRC; that place is always a hive of scum and villainy.

Serpentkaa
06-13-2008, 06:12 PM
I believe the moderating staff is doing a wonderful job as it is; with all the new moderators, things have been very quiet on the forums.
As for the bannings, this is precisely what we wish to avoid. We've been trying to keep the number of bannings down, as they have a tenancy to cause outcry among the community. I'd rather not have ban-happy mods, and I'm sure most everyone agrees with me.
And, banning people really isn't necessary. The community has recently become exponentially more helpful and friendly than before. The only exception is on the IRC; that place is always a hive of scum and villainy.

Rename #swgemu to #moseisley

david665
06-13-2008, 07:33 PM
We also need to remember how the old SWGEmu forums were before the schism that saw the departure of Xeno and the others. The current forum dwellers, moderators and devs have brought the quality of the community up quite a bit. While we still have agitators and flamers, they are small in numbers and easily dismissed.

I think the quality of SWGEmu's forums is pretty high compared to two years ago.

Iakimo
06-13-2008, 08:49 PM
No, no, no... you can't do that. Phantom only said #SWGEMU IRC was a HIVE of scum and villainy, not a WRETCHED hive of scum and villainy.

Zephyrus
06-13-2008, 09:32 PM
well I still believe it should be taken into acount that the SWGEmu team extended a olive branch... also ppl should know that im really hungry and bored.. so i have resorted to writting here in hopes i will be fed soon.
but most importantly I feel a change in the force... the Emu shall soon be done!

Ekaika
06-13-2008, 11:32 PM

Best idea ever.

Serpentkaa
06-14-2008, 12:00 AM
No, no, no... you can't do that. Phantom only said #SWGEMU IRC was a HIVE of scum and villainy, not a WRETCHED hive of scum and villainy.

LOL. Well that is a matter of opinion and what you define wretched as. There have been a few conversation in that room that could be classified as wretched attempts at looking cool, be cool or act cool.

IMO, those conversations are often rank lower on the scale of FAIL than any posting on the forums. :)

Mr_Red_X
06-14-2008, 11:26 AM
I was bit pissed off at the time, a few people on the forum left and some stuff ANH was doing just started to get on my nerves.

I snapped and went on an angry posting spree. Not very smart but I had just flown in fromn florida with 4 hours of sleep for the entire day.

forget everything I said

Mr_Red_X
06-14-2008, 11:44 AM
People need to thicken their skins.

This is SWG, one of the most competitive MMO's to ever hit the Market.

I'm happy enough with TrueGalaxies and SWGEmu being okay with eachother now.

Will ANH and Emu team up to finish Pre-CU? I don't know, quite frankly, I couldn't care less. The rate of progress is staggering lately, that it really doesn't matter who "wins" anymore. It was never a competition for the Staff from my point of view, the Community made the largest problems out of this by thinking they can speak for the Staff. (Just my opinion).

I don't think SWGEmu need to change anymore than they already have done. It's an amazing team, the Community... well... expect flamers. It's a very large competitive game. The Moderator Team do an amazing job at keeping the majority of it off the boards, believe me.

If ANH had a Public TestCenter, and a Public Forum that is easily accessible, they'd have just as much Flaming and Drama on their boards.

It's not a problem, it's actually a good thing from where I'm standing.. it just goes to show everyones edging to play the game and get this competition going again.

If ANH Supporters get angry with the SWGEmu team... so what? They're just proving that the Staff / Teams "issues" (that are gone) is more important to them, than Pre-CU. I'd rather not have players like that, but thats just me. Don't like what you see, don't read it. You don't have to sift through flames to see the Updates ;) You open it all by your choice.

If you think back, this Forum is incredibly tame compared to the Flame/Bashing sessions we all had Pre-CU on the SOE Forums. Remember the inter-server wars? C'mon, some classics happened.

I'm sorry, but I agree with very little of what you've said.

Hey it's cool. I've never came here much and really it wasn't my place to comment on you guys. it's the internet, once you become anonymous you decide to do stupid things. There are a few people here that I can say behave poorly but with a populated forum you are going to get people like that.