PDA

View Full Version : Multiple accounts are NOT permitted.

Pages : [1] 2

PhantomLeader
04-10-2009, 08:12 AM
How many times do I need to create these sorts of threads?

DUPLICATE ACCOUNTS ARE NOT PERMITTED.

We have been getting very aggressive in enforcing this; if you find you were banned, don't create new accounts.
Also note: using other people's computers will also trip the detector. I don't know how many times I've got to say this... but BEFORE CREATING NEW ACCOUNTS OR USING OTHER ACCOUNT-HOLDER'S COMPUTERS, EMAIL support@swgemu.com with 'Account Issue' as the subject.

Just for reference, we get several hundred duplicate users per week. PLEASE. Stop making our lives more difficult than they already are.

Zadokk
04-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Is there not something you can script that will do the job automatically?

mujadaddy
04-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Just speaking for myself, when I first found this project, I read *alot* of the documentation of what you guys had done and expected from your testing users.

My point is, not everyone is as voracious a reader (or rule-follower) as I am. I think the multiple accounts policy should be part of the "How to install LPE" post, if it isn't already.

PhantomLeader
04-10-2009, 08:30 AM
There are; we just installed a new one last night that bans duplicate users. The problem is I've got 15+ emails and PMs where a user asks why he/she was banned; it's always because they made multiple accounts or used someone else's computer (who was already registered) to create the account.

Dame
04-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Come on people. Getting kind of ridiculous.

Zadokk
04-10-2009, 09:06 AM
There are; we just installed a new one last night that bans duplicate users. The problem is I've got 15+ emails and PMs where a user asks why he/she was banned; it's always because they made multiple accounts or used someone else's computer (who was already registered) to create the account.

Okay. Can you not add a line of code that emails them explaining why they were banned?

Leodextrin
04-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Live action shot.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/leodextrin/bannedlistemu.jpg

future
04-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Kinda wierd sinds you were allowed in the old system , I can't emagine swgemu without having a buffbot as an alt ( or sombies alt)

not sucks a big problem in testing sinds you can learn and unlearn it real quick but I see this as a REAL BIG issue if the emu is done

Leodextrin
04-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Kinda wierd sinds you were allowed in the old system , I can't emagine swgemu without having a buffbot as an alt ( or sombies alt)

not sucks a big problem in testing sinds you can learn and unlearn it real quick but I see this as a REAL BIG issue if the emu is done

This isn't about multiple clients/toons, this is about multiple accounts.

sharp_one
04-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm interested in how you are determining the use of multiple accounts. If it is via IP, then there are 3 people in my house that play Emu, usually on different computers (for obvious reasons.)

It would be much easier if people understood they don't need multiple accounts for multiple characters, then you guys wouldnt need to keep removing duplicates. Unfortunately that seems to be the main issue of free accounts, it doesnt cost money to make a new account like it would with SOE.

hakre1
04-10-2009, 11:20 PM
I figure its easier just to simply not create more than one account...
Why must people always make things complicated?

Ekaika
04-10-2009, 11:44 PM
I recognize that given the nature of pre-cu, and buying multiple client/accounts to play multiple toons, it may seem the norm. However, we clearly outline our policies in many locations, and have been very patient in attempting to accommodate folks special needs and extenuating circumstances.

It has become more work than we can handle manually. You would be frankly shocked to know how pervasive this problem is. We cannot devote several hours each day addressing only this issue. Looking at the posters screenshot above gives you some idea.

We are NOT punishing people, we are asking people to take a small step forward and create their new character the proper way, or to LET US KNOW if you have a situation where you need to have more than one account on a computer.

I understand that this may seem harsh, but it's necessary, believe me.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Audune
04-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Do you think there could be a mass banned user clean up sometime soon? Keep the banning information, but just clear up the user count. Might give us a better idea on just how bloated things are.

Moslik
04-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Now, what if I have siblings and they want to play, but I don't want them on my account?

Leodextrin
04-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Now, what if I have siblings and they want to play, but I don't want them on my account?

We are NOT punishing people, we are asking people to take a small step forward and create their new character the proper way, or to LET US KNOW if you have a situation where you need to have more than one account on a computer.

There ya go.

Ekaika
04-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Which means emailing phantomleader or myself. Links in sigs.

Agent A
04-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Makes ya wonder... if there ever is a limit of how many toons you can make per account, how much worse is this going to get?

Leodextrin
04-11-2009, 02:09 AM
Makes ya wonder... if there ever is a limit of how many toons you can make per account, how much worse is this going to get?

I'm going to refer you to this thread (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21537) so you can get a good grasp of both arguements.

Ekaika
04-11-2009, 02:16 AM

Currently on Test Center: Nova, no. There is no character limit per account. Again we insist that only one account is created per user, however.

Zadokk
04-11-2009, 04:02 AM
Which means emailing phantomleader or myself. Links in sigs.

Is there actually anyway of stopping people lying to your face about it. What's stopping me from saying "yeah there are three people who want accounts in my house" and then using all the accounts for myself?

Ekaika
04-11-2009, 04:16 AM
Is there actually anyway of stopping people lying to your face about it. What's stopping me from saying "yeah there are three people who want accounts in my house" and then using all the accounts for myself?

We're paying attention.

djolovicl
04-11-2009, 05:21 AM
Are you kidding me?

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6995/capture1i.png

People please STOP!!!

Ekaika
04-11-2009, 05:48 AM
I know right...

Dominion
04-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Is there any way some of us can help with the email correspondance? maybe sifting thorugh emails and sending back form letters for the most common questions and forewarding the interesting ones on?

MikeCool
04-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Hmm i feel like these are forums to troll or **** around. Well they are wrong to make duplicate accounts here.

I suggest if they make another account with the same IP, ban their IP so they wont do that again, unless if they are dumb to get another computer.

sharp_one
04-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Well you could say that, but there is no point, which is THE point. Multiple accounts aren't needed.

jat5560
04-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm interested in how you are determining the use of multiple accounts. If it is via IP, then there are 3 people in my house that play Emu, usually on different computers (for obvious reasons.)

It would be much easier if people understood they don't need multiple accounts for multiple characters, then you guys wouldn't need to keep removing duplicates. Unfortunately that seems to be the main issue of free accounts, it doesn't cost money to make a new account like it would with SOE.

I have a wireless router and 5 computers in my house that are connected to it. Three are directly plugged in and 2 are laptops that connect wireless. I also have 3 people in the house that play SWG and 3 who do not. If I'm in my bedroom playing and it gets late and my wife wants to sleep, are you saying that I cannot log off and switch to the computer in my office which may have been used to create my son's account?

Zadokk
04-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Well you could say that, but there is no point, which is THE point. Multiple accounts aren't needed.

No the point is not the morality behind it but the actual action. Just because there is no point in doing it doesn't mean that people won't do it. I genuinely want to know what is stopping someone from saying "I have three people in my house who want to play" (when in fact they don't) just to get extra accounts.

Travis8908
04-11-2009, 12:05 PM
We're talking about owning multiple accounts here and not using one account on multiple computers right? Ever since I found the Emu, I've played it on my desktop, but a couple of months ago I bought a laptop and wanted to play the Emu on that. I'm just making sure its cool to log on to my old account and play the Emu on my new computer.

Aleksejev
04-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Hmm i feel like these are forums to troll or **** around. Well they are wrong to make duplicate accounts here.

I suggest if they make another account with the same IP, ban their IP so they wont do that again, unless if they are dumb to get another computer.

That's all very nice, but as stated before some people might have more than one person playing SWG in their household, me being one of them.

Secondly, also stated before, there is no need for a second account, because at the time of writing, there is no limit to the number of characters per account.

Third, if you've read the FAQ and other assorted sources of info on this forum, you're giving the devs a hard time, time that could have been spent on SWGEmu itself.

So, a heartfelt request from a regular user: Please don't create extra accounts. The only thing you would gain is a ban.

inyri
04-11-2009, 04:15 PM
If there is a legitimate reason you need multiple accounts, or your IP may become attached to multiple accounts, you need to let an administrator know. There are times when you may innocently get your IP attached to a secondary account, such as letting a friend login to his or her account on your computer. This will make us think you have multiple accounts so if something like that happens please let an admin know so they don't lock one or both of the accounts.

The same goes for having more than one account per household. Everyone in your family can have an account, but if you're going to be using the same computer please let an admin know how many accounts to expect so none get banned. It's easier for everyone if you contact an admin before it becomes an issue. :)

Nedak
04-11-2009, 05:04 PM
I think the multiple accounts and old banned user accounts should be deleted.

I don't see a reason to keep them at least.

Zadokk
04-11-2009, 05:25 PM
I think the multiple accounts and old banned user accounts should be deleted.

I don't see a reason to keep them at least.

Sort of like graves.

Ekaika
04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Is there any way some of us can help with the email correspondance? maybe sifting thorugh emails and sending back form letters for the most common questions and forewarding the interesting ones on?

Unfortunately, no. But I appreciate the kind offer.

I have a wireless router and 5 computers in my house that are connected to it. Three are directly plugged in and 2 are laptops that connect wireless. I also have 3 people in the house that play SWG and 3 who do not. If I'm in my bedroom playing and it gets late and my wife wants to sleep, are you saying that I cannot log off and switch to the computer in my office which may have been used to create my son's account?

No, we're asking you to provide us with the account names so that we can ensure they are exempted.

We're talking about owning multiple accounts here and not using one account on multiple computers right? Ever since I found the Emu, I've played it on my desktop, but a couple of months ago I bought a laptop and wanted to play the Emu on that. I'm just making sure its cool to log on to my old account and play the Emu on my new computer.

You should be fine. If you experience a problem, simply email myself or Phantomleader and we'll address it.

jat5560
04-11-2009, 05:59 PM
No, we're asking you to provide us with the account names so that we can ensure they are exempted.

ok, and the question everyone is asking yet you guys are failing to answer is, what keeps everyone on this site from doing just that? E-mailing you saying that they have 3 family members that need accounts, and then just playing them all themselves??????? It seems like you guys are going through alot of hassel for no results at all.

Don't get me wrong...I will follow the rules, but of course it will gimp me compared to those who will lie. In the end, the liars and cheeters win and the honest people get the short end of the stick.

Let me ask you a serious question?? Why are you guys against multiple accounts?

Zadokk
04-11-2009, 06:59 PM
ok, and the question everyone is asking yet you guys are failing to answer is, what keeps everyone on this site from doing just that? E-mailing you saying that they have 3 family members that need accounts, and then just playing them all themselves??????? It seems like you guys are going through alot of hassel for no results at all.

Oh good, I thought I had been made invisible. I was about to run out in the streets naked but you have brought me back from the brink. Unless of course I am just a figment of your imagination in which case I'm screwed out of existence as soon as you stop subconsciously thinking about me.

Don't get me wrong...I will follow the rules, but of course it will gimp me compared to those who will lie. In the end, the liars and cheeters win and the honest people get the short end of the stick.

Let me ask you a serious question?? Why are you guys against multiple accounts?

You know if you re-arrange those two paragraphs you can turn what you said from a serious question into a rhetorical one.

Ekaika
04-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Again, we're paying attention. If someone feels the need to campaign multiple accounts to us and fabricate an elaborate plan hatched to manipulate us into allowing a second account, then so be it.

Zadokk
04-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Again, we're paying attention. If someone feels the need to campaign multiple accounts to us and fabricate an elaborate plan hatched to manipulate us into allowing a second account, then so be it.

I suffer from multiple personality disorder. Can we have another account?

Yeah, can we?

jat5560
04-11-2009, 07:35 PM

So what are you really saying...? It sounds like you are saying that those who lie and cheat will have an advantage over those who don't. If that is in fact the case, then why are you guys stressing yourselves out with the fact that you are policing this very thing even today on Nova? I think the only way to catch someone is if they are multiboxing (playing both accounts on the same computer at the same time) because any other way I would just say it was my wife playing and get the girl next door to send you an e-mail.

I don't want people to make multiple accounts because I want to know the true number of people interested in this project. See straight forward. I wish you guys would say something like that, because that makes sense.

Don't misunderstand my post as complaining, I'm just very concerned that the project is being stalled because you guys are wasting time on account polices. In fact, this post and the one by PL clearly shows that you guys are spending a lot of time on this.

djolovicl
04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
So what are you really saying...? It sounds like you are saying that those who lie and cheat will have an advantage over those who don't. If that is in fact the case, then why are you guys stressing yourselves out with the fact that you are policing this very thing even today on Nova? I think the only way to catch someone is if they are multiboxing (playing both accounts on the same computer at the same time) because any other way I would just say it was my wife playing and get the girl next door to send you an e-mail.

I don't want people to make multiple accounts because I want to know the true number of people interested in this project. See straight forward. I wish you guys would say something like that, because that makes sense.

Don't misunderstand my post as complaining, I'm just very concerned that the project is being stalled because you guys are wasting time on account polices. In fact, this post and the one by PL clearly shows that you guys are spending a lot of time on this.

Will you just please let it go, PLEASE :rolleyes: PLEASE...

Biophilia
04-11-2009, 07:49 PM
legitimate multiple accounts should be labeled as such in-game so that other players can see. And the notation should link those that come from the same household/computer. This would discourage illegitimately acquired "legitimate" accounts. It's one thing to fool the admin with an email, it's another to fool friends and guildmates.

the location of the label doesn't have to be obvious, it could be hidden on the bio page or something, but players will see it and naturally ask who else they share "account-space" with.

it's a simulation game. A player driven account monitoring system would fit nicely :P It wont be 100% effective but I think once set up would provide much more security for little management effort.

djolovicl
04-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Look at this genius:

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1057/capture.png

He made one got banned, and then quickly made another one :)

jat5560
04-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Look at this genius:

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1057/capture.png

He made one got banned, and then quickly made another one :)

What are you trying to show here?

djolovicl
04-11-2009, 08:14 PM
What are you trying to show here?

Unlimited stupidity.

And you?

jat5560
04-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Unlimited stupidity.

And you?

I simply asked what it was that screenshot was trying to show. If you want to be an ******* thats your problem not mine.

Zadokk
04-11-2009, 08:28 PM
legitimate multiple accounts should be labeled as such in-game so that other players can see. And the notation should link those that come from the same household/computer. This would discourage illegitimately acquired "legitimate" accounts. It's one thing to fool the admin with an email, it's another to fool friends and guildmates.

the location of the label doesn't have to be obvious, it could be hidden on the bio page or something, but players will see it and naturally ask who else they share "account-space" with.

it's a simulation game. A player driven account monitoring system would fit nicely :P It wont be 100% effective but I think once set up would provide much more security for little management effort.

I like this idea. Part of the 'authenticity' process should also list the character's forum username so that players can know exactly who they are dealing with.

I smell a conspiracy...

Or a trap.

sharp_one
04-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Seems a lot of people here don't understand the basic issue.

The Devs want it to be 1 Account per person. You can have as many characters as they allow you to have on that 1 account. Also every other person in your house can have their own account. This is why they are saying to mail them, so they dont ban people who genuinely share computers or internet connections.

Travis8908
04-11-2009, 11:47 PM
i smell a conspiracy...

Or a trap.

"it's a trap!!"

oh and thanks for answering my question Ekaika.

djolovicl
04-12-2009, 03:29 AM
I simply asked what it was that screenshot was trying to show. If you want to be an ******* thats your problem not mine.

Now, that's not nice, is it?

Just because you ask stupid questions, and people disagree with you it does not give you the right to be rude.
You asked your silly questions, you got your answers. I'm sorry you didn't like them.

Then i asked you to stop:

That's what turned your attention to me?

(This is the real cause of your frustration, is it not?)

P.S. I'm sorry you you didn't win Nedak's JOTY, but there is always next time ;)

ON TOPIC:

I was going to suggest maybe a part of application form i which will enable them to explain their need for multiple accounts, that would be directly mailed to Phantom, but then i realized that would probably create more problems. But this will work, i hope ;)

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3578/capture1avx.png

EDIT: I'm not going to waist any more time or space in this thread with another post.

Did Jat just get a second account?

Xaat=jat5560

Or has a member of a Jat household get one?

Its all so familiar... :emperor:

http://icons-search.com/img/vistaicons/vistaico_toolbar_icons.zip/PNG-Arrow-Down.png-256x256.png

Xaat
04-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Why are you calling his questions silly and stupid? They are perfectly valid questions and I agree that you are just being rude.

The situation is this single account policy is creating a huge amount of work to enforce, when in the end there's really nothing to stop someone from lying their way around the policy. This is a valid problem that needs to be addressed and dismissing it as stupid doesn't make the issue go away.

I'm not here to tell you your policies are wrong, just that when you ask people to come and test things and then ignore them when they point out flaws you are missing out on a chance to make a real improvement.

My opinion is that the account policy is a good thing, even with its flaws. Sure, some guy could lie and say his little brother wants to play and then he's running around dual boxing, but if he gets caught with two toons in game that are obviously not controlled by two people he can be punished. Also with a totally hands off policy what would stop someone from having ten accounts, or twenty? That extra layer of approval is making a lot of work for the admins, but it makes it harder for people to do completely unreasonable things like running around with ten rifleman that all shoot together.

Edit: PS, one more thing I'd like to say here, I totally agree with the other sentiments in this thread about sharing some of the policing responsibility with the players. The admins have a whole lot to look at and it might be possible to slip under the radar, but imagine if you had to hide from the whole server population! Not going to happen!

Jer
04-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Not even sure why I read all that. Towards the end it was just going in circles. I'm guessing this thread'll be closed soon, cause it no longer seems to be serving any purpose. The fact is, the use of multiple accounts is a problem that can lead to unfair advantages, unnecessary grief, and most likely large amounts of confusion. The staff is taking what it feels is the best course of action to prevent this problem. As Ekaika said, if you have some fantastic idea to better remedy this, by all means tell us. But otherwise, I'd hardly call most of this criticism constructive.

Xaat
04-12-2009, 07:27 AM
I don't even type like that guy and you could just look at the IP addresses... you guys are awfully touchy. Sheesh, sorry for trying to contribute.

Edit: PS (I do this edit: ps thing alot, bad habit of mine to re-read my posts and come up with more thoughts after the fact) djolovicl did you read the bulk of my post where I supported the single account policy? I wasn't trying to attack you... I'm just honest. I think as a representative of the community you shouldn't be so dismissive to people who offer criticism. One hundred people who blindly agree will not get you as much value as one person with the guts to disagree, even if you disagree with the disagreement. Isn't that the point of having forums, to discuss things and explore every angle?

The way I see it Jat was saying you could save a lot of time by dropping the account policy since people will try to get around it, and people who do cheat the system will have an advantage over those who don't. I think he's right, but I still think the one account policy is better than letting everyone have as many accounts as they want, so I said so and why.

Anyway it seems from the reaction I'm getting that nobody wants my opinions in this thread, so this will be my last post. I'll just lurk and keep my big mouth shut while I wait for the devs to get things done, I trust them to do the right thing and I really appreciate their hard work. SWG when it was new was the best MMO experience I've ever had and just thinking about a chance to re-live those days has me all tingly. Good luck and thank you to everyone involved.

jat5560
04-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Seems a lot of people here don't understand the basic issue.

The Devs want it to be 1 Account per person. You can have as many characters as they allow you to have on that 1 account. Also every other person in your house can have their own account. This is why they are saying to mail them, so they dont ban people who genuinely share computers or internet connections.

And, once again, what keeps people from just lieing? It cannot be policed, so why even try? It's like the drug war!

@xaat Great post man, and don't let these trolls get to you. You have proven that a lot of members never post because they don't want to be attacked.

@dj no, xaat and me are two different people, and I dont even know him. You are the one that posted a screenshot, and all i did was ask you about it.

MikeCool
04-12-2009, 09:22 AM
I don't even type like that guy and you could just look at the IP addresses... you guys are awfully touchy. Sheesh, sorry for trying to contribute.

This.

Biophilia
04-12-2009, 09:57 AM
And, once again, what keeps people from just lieing? It cannot be policed, so why even try? It's like the drug war!

that's not true. A more accurate statement would be that there is no 100% effective system, but it can definitely be policed.

Nedak
04-12-2009, 01:04 PM
God, you people are annoying.

Does it really matter? Let them do what they want, ffs.

Ekaika
04-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I agree. Why do you care. To correct some points.. it is no longer a lot of work to police, as we've automated most of it. In addition, your point of toons on TC is incorrect, as our CSR's check that. Phantom and myself are simply addressing the problem at this level in an attempt to prevent it from making it to TC. Should that happen, we have many people fully capable of researching and taking action.

While I appreciate your concern for my workload, I assure you we've got it under control. I do not see how this ties into new people being attacked.

fixit6
04-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Why do people need more than one account, you can "multi-box" fine with just one. I mean really, it's not rocket science. Is it?

Audune
04-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Here's an idea:

Once someone makes an account, ban their information that you've been taking in as how you determine multiple accounts from the Register area of the fourms.

Making it impossible for them to register at the same place, right?

corumanime
04-13-2009, 01:22 AM
MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS ARE NOT PERMITTED. - Ok, I get it. Now.

When I first joined I didn't know how it worked, and I thought I had to make an account for each character I wanted to try (I had 7 live accounts on Retail Bria). When I found I could a)respec instantly b)multibox on the same account, which it says in here is ok then I stopped logging in using all the other accounts. I only use one to log in now and never the others. I asked the devs in game if they wanted to delete my old accounts and was told they didnt do that. So I don't use them.

I don't understand why this thread became so much of a train wreck, though. It's a test server, if people are hacking and exploiting, ban them, whatever. If they are simply pointing out something thats not working or which people don't understand, crikey they're trying to Help You! Listen to them!

My 2c is I have four simple points - not criticisms, just things I don't understand.
1) I keep reading multis will get banned, but I cannot see what to do if I already made two accounts and I want one deleted. I'm scared to log in on my main in case all my work gets banned now.
2) This thread says that having multi accounts gives unfair advantage, but people are legally logging 3 or 4 characters on at once and buffing themselves, sampling, getting the free 200k credits more than once, etc so I don't see why someone else with 2 accounts with one char logged on each has an "advantage" over my 4 toons on one account all sampling overnight... doesn't compute.
3) Unfair Advantage? On a test server? Well, we're testing, and its not like people couldn't do it on retail and we're all gonna get wiped over and over so why would anyone care?
4 The obvious anti-multi thing is, if I tried to hack or cussed out a GM ingame and got banned, then used another account to carry on.. bad! So just ban peoples IP if they really annoy you and it don't matter how many accounts they used to have. QED.

But, people, don't argue with the developers on this issue, just be constructive, and listen to them and don't make a second account if you already have one. Hopefully one day I will see how to delete my old accounts but I am not using them, I only use one account in game now, and thats all I need anyway so theres no issues.

Take Care, we're all friends here, rememeber?

inyri
04-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Talk to a forum admin about your multiple accounts, not a dev. PhantomLeader would be your best bet.

corumanime
04-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Thanks! Would be nice to get that cleared up

Ekaika
04-13-2009, 02:12 AM
Just email be a brief summary of that, with account names. No need to panic, we'll get it resolved.

Kvothe
04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Hehe, I know I am new here, but wow..Some people do not use their brains.

Okay, I see a lot of questions saying "What's to stop people from lieing and creating multiple accounts"
Admins respond with "We're paying attention" (I am paraphrasing here)
So you people automatically assume that means jack squat and anyone can cheat the system.

But here I am to explain it. If a person says they need multiple accounts on their computer for each family member, cool. One person logs into one account at a time. Since let's say a Dad goes on to play, he's using the client. Then his son wants to go on. Dad gets off, son goes on. Still only one client running.

Liars' turn. Person who says they need multiple accounts for family, cool. When playing SWG said person has 2+ clients running Emu all at once...Now, gee does that sound like a Dad playing on one client and a son on the other at the same time? Nope, obviously a liar and will probably be banned as such.

Anyways, that is what I got from that.

EVILJUDE
04-14-2009, 12:03 PM
your logic is flawed. what if the dad and the son what to be on at the same time, so the father can play the game with his son.....take him around, battle together.

Kvothe
04-14-2009, 12:06 PM
On the same computer? that is what the arguement is...On separate computers that is completely possible and wouldn't be a problem at all with banning. The problem as I see it is running multiple accounts on ONE computer at once. Now tell me...how can both the father and son play at the same time on one computer with one mouse, one screen, one keyboard? Shall I continue..

Zadokk
04-14-2009, 12:06 PM

Okay, I see a lot of questions saying "What's to stop people from lieing and creating multiple accounts"
So you people automatically assume that means jack squat and anyone can cheat the system.

But here I am to explain it. If a person says they need multiple accounts on their computer for each family member, cool. One person logs into one account at a time. Since let's say a Dad goes on to play, he's using the client. Then his son wants to go on. Dad gets off, son goes on. Still only one client running.

Liars' turn. Person who says they need multiple accounts for family, cool. When playing SWG said person has 2+ clients running Emu all at once...Now, gee does that sound like a Dad playing on one client and a son on the other at the same time? Nope, obviously a liar and will probably be banned as such.

I think you're assuming that there's only one PC in the house. In my house we have three computers networked on at the same time plus the capacity for more (both me and my brother, for instance, have a laptop each). Plus some people might play in offices or be part of some sort of residential gateway where the IP address will be the same for everyone playing and where you would expect more than one person logged on at the same time. Furthermore if there is a LAN party or a 'games night' of some sort then you can bet that there could be anywhere up to 100 people on at the same time... maybe more depending on the size of the event.

jat5560
04-14-2009, 12:17 PM

And what's your answer to the people who have more than 1 computer???? as been covered, sorry.

Kvothe
04-14-2009, 12:23 PM
This was my explanation for people with only one computer guys. Not multiple computers.

If you want me to explain how to avoid sticky situations with multiple computers and one router meaning one IP..That's already been answered and I didn't think I'd have to put that in my post but here it goes.

Email the administrators the names of those accounts!! Simple as that.

Now, if your saying if a person has multiple accounts with multiple computers, I have no idea how the admins/devs would figure out how they can tell who is lieing and who isn't. Hopefully, these people (the liars) won't screw everything up with people who only have one router, with multiple family members.
Anyways, I guess that's all I have to say...If my logic is flawed, so be it.

Ekaika
04-14-2009, 02:23 PM
This isn't the place for your crusade. I need this thread to be a place for new users to post their queries. Stop spamming the thread. All of you.

Ekaika
04-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Now, if your saying if a person has multiple accounts with multiple computers, I have no idea how the admins/devs would figure out how they can tell who is lieing and who isn't. Hopefully, these people (the liars) won't screw everything up with people who only have one router, with multiple family members.
Anyways, I guess that's all I have to say...If my logic is flawed, so be it.

To those of you participating in jat's little war. We're not going to explain how the system works. But it works. Everyone is being taken care of by our staff, and the system is working. So stop trying to figure it out, all of you. We have enough checks in place to address what we need addressed. Please, for the love of pineapples, let it go.

Kvothe
04-15-2009, 01:51 AM
My apologies, I was just trying to help out. I guess I made it worse without even meaning it to. Anyways, the point of that post was that I have faith in the devs.

Erm, if this is spam you can delete it. I just thought I'd say that.

jat5560
04-15-2009, 07:24 AM
To those of you participating in jat's little war. We're not going to explain how the system works. But it works. Everyone is being taken care of by our staff, and the system is working. So stop trying to figure it out, all of you. We have enough checks in place to address what we need addressed. Please, for the love of pineapples, let it go.

How offensive "Jat's little war" I may be the most vocal but if you think I'm the only one who is interested in this topic, you are way off base. I assure you, there are MANY people who have multiple accounts at this very moment that you and the staff have no idea about. When SC goes live and the accounts are then associated with it, those guys will slip right under your radar. Good Luck - sincerely.

lunatec
04-15-2009, 08:19 AM
How offensive "Jat's little war" I may be the most vocal but if you think I'm the only one who is interested in this topic, you are way off base. I assure you, there are MANY people who have multiple accounts at this very moment that you and the staff have no idea about. When SC goes live and the accounts are then associated with it, those guys will slip right under your radar. Good Luck - sincerely.

I am going to make this as clear as I possibly can (sorry Ek for feeding the trolls here)

1. You do not need more than 1 account. A person can log in 10102383 computers on the same account, and you can also run multiple instances on the same computer. There is no cap on the number of toons on an account. YOU DO NOT NEED MORE THAN 1 ACCOUNT. PERIOD.

2. Those who are running multiple accounts will be caught, one or both accounts will be banned for the violation.

3. Arguing this any further is pointless and a waste of time. 1 person, 1 account. This cannot be made any clearer.

jat5560
04-15-2009, 07:50 PM
I am going to make this as clear as I possibly can (sorry Ek for feeding the trolls here)

1. You do not need more than 1 account. A person can log in 10102383 computers on the same account, and you can also run multiple instances on the same computer. There is no cap on the number of toons on an account. YOU DO NOT NEED MORE THAN 1 ACCOUNT. PERIOD.

2. Those who are running multiple accounts will be caught, one or both accounts will be banned for the violation.

3. Arguing this any further is pointless and a waste of time. 1 person, 1 account. This cannot be made any clearer.

You obviously didn't read the entire thread. We are not talking about NOVA, we are talking about post-nova when the nova accounts get associated with SunCrusher.

See the point is, even though we can create as many toons as we want on NOVA, it is obviously not going to stay like that on SC. So what people are doing is getting their multi-accounts set up now so that when SC hits and the # of toons we are allowed to create drops to 1 or 2 per account, they will already be set.

Also, no one is talking about logging in more than 1 of their toons at the same time. We are talking about how easy it will be to break this rule, lie and cheat the system and still have as many toons as the player wants.

Do you really think the project is getting 100 new users a day?

If that isn't clear, I don't know how else to explain it to you.

inyri
04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
We are acutely aware of how many legitimate registrations we get versus illegitimate ones -- much moreso than you (thanks to excellent record keeping by Phantom Leader). This thread is currently concerned with multiple accounts on Nova Test Center which is the only currently available server. Concerns regarding Suncrusher are premature, so try to keep your posts on topic as Ekaika asked you to.

Scaj
04-15-2009, 08:30 PM
It would make sense to create a second account if you were banned from posting on the forums and wanted to start under a new name but that isn't the case. Judging by the list of newcomers, next to none of them have posted anything in the forums yet. Obviously the multiple/banned accounts need to be purged to maintain an accurate total of how many users will be playing the Emu.

Ekaika
04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
That would absolutely NOT make sense, and would likely result in a perma-ban for ban evasion. The way of appealing a ban is to contact Phant or myself and we'll address it.

madman158
04-16-2009, 02:28 AM
All i got to say is thank you for fixing what soe screwed up. Now on topic. My wife said saw me playing this game the old way and told me she was going to put it on her laptop. I tld hr nt f sh wnts t kp hr tth.

Zadokk
04-16-2009, 06:30 AM
All i got to say is thank you for fixing what soe screwed up. Now on topic. My wife said saw me playing this game the old way and told me she was going to put it on her laptop. I told her not if she wants to keep her teeth.

Firstly you shouldn't verbally abuse or threaten your wife.

Secondly she can if she wants. Just contact Ekaika and tell him that you have two people in your house that want to play the game. Once he gives you the all clear your wife can create an account and you two can play the game at the same time.

AZIronman
04-16-2009, 06:50 AM
There is a problem with the tracker thing, if i log on my friends account it will flag your tracker that i have 2 accounts when i don't. This might possibly turn into a ban of my account or my friends =/

Xiox
04-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Is that really necessary? Its a TC, ban by IP at least lol. At least that's a little bit more advanced than just making another account heh.

As a community thing, i don't think its necessarily a good idea to prevent multiple registrations on one machine, but whatever.

Not really that big a deal lol

guide
05-01-2009, 09:16 AM
what about letting a single account be loged in multiple times? just not letting a single toon to be used twice

Zadokk
05-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Currently you can make as many characters on your account as you like and there is an option in LPE that lets you use more than one instance.

Halifax
05-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, or skimmed over your reasoning while I read the thread. What is the crusade against the multiple accounts for anyway? If you are allowed to have as many characters as you want all on at the same time on one account (on Nova now), what difference does it make if someone has 5 accounts and plays the 1 toon on each of those accounts?

I just don't see the logic behind the enforcement, especially since there have already been loopholes already pointed out. I think if the reasoning (again maybe I missed it if it was already pointed out) was made clear, majority of these questions and worries would diffuse and/or explode depending on how well it sits with most people.

Diogenes
05-01-2009, 09:30 PM
I just don't see the logic behind the enforcement.

I think it is to maintain an accurate representation of the user base numbers and also other concerns which may arise down the road or as a factor of multiple accounts tied to one person.

TK-386
05-02-2009, 03:08 AM
Currently you can make as many characters on your account as you like and there is an option in LPE that lets you use more than one instance.
Wich I hope will be taken out asap. I thought we wanted to get rid of all the AFK buffbots/entertainers/afk characters spamming their goods in theed? Or is that just me?

Zadokk
05-02-2009, 03:58 AM
Wich I hope will be taken out asap. I thought we wanted to get rid of all the AFK buffbots/entertainers/afk characters spamming their goods in theed? Or is that just me?

No, this is a test server. It doesn't matter how many characters you have.

TK-386
05-02-2009, 05:10 AM
No, this is a test server. It doesn't matter how many characters you have.
True but i rather get people get used to playing on one character now then have to deal with all the fuzz later when we go live.

Delta-21
05-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Why though, I bet there has to be some benefit for testing with multiple windows open. Test multiple things at a time? Test you afk macros etc. make sure there isn't any bugs in the game.

hisengal
05-02-2009, 06:36 AM
why is this thread still getting discussed...!!!

Multiple accounts are NOT permitted..!!!!

if you wanna play two chareters at the same time... just log on whit the same accounts twice...!!!

fixit6
05-02-2009, 06:59 AM
why is this thread still getting discussed...!!!

Multiple accounts are NOT permitted..!!!!

if you wanna play two chareters at the same time... just log on whit the same accounts twice...!!!

QFE.

Still don't get why people are makin more accounts....perhaps they are getting ready for SC to try to get by account limitations that will inevitably be put in place? Only thing that comes to mind....

Or maybe people don't quite understand that you can multilog chars off one account....I can get up to 5, I am sure people with better rigs could do more...

Zadokk
05-02-2009, 07:21 AM
True but i rather get people get used to playing on one character now then have to deal with all the fuzz later when we go live.

Tbh I think it's worth dealing with that later. If 150 people each have two accounts each then that's like having 300 people testing. Even if you have a character doing AFK surveying or what not, they can still get a gauge on how surveying is working. If you ALT+TAB and find your character has stopped surveying then you can report a bug etc.

tippythop
05-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Ya like stated before since this is the TC and you can basically run multiple instances of the game and login on the same account many times im sure they have an afk buff bot and dancer and are actually out playing on another character. I think its kinda nice of them to do that.

Edit I actually take back the afk dancer I havent really seen many afk dancers around lately.

ColdTriton
05-02-2009, 08:51 PM
I Just logged in, or rather attempted to and it says bad password or account is already in use. Here's the thing. I've had this account for over a year, signed up in while I still lived in California, recently, I moved to Arizona and am staying at my brothers house. We both played pre-CU from day 1(day 2 as it were). He also has been on TC for a couple months now...do we have to use the same account? We both are active...but for the moment must use the same PC. guess I gotta email phantomlord or ekaika?

Taivan
05-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I Just logged in, or rather attempted to and it says bad password or account is already in use. Here's the thing. I've had this account for over a year, signed up in while I still lived in California, recently, I moved to Arizona and am staying at my brothers house. We both played pre-CU from day 1(day 2 as it were). He also has been on TC for a couple months now...do we have to use the same account? We both are active...but for the moment must use the same PC. guess I gotta email phantomlord or ekaika?

Im getting the same login error. I dont know why my account would have been banned however. Im starting to think its a bug.

inyri
05-02-2009, 09:02 PM
It's related to the recent downtime and is not related to any account bannings. Staff are getting the same error -- just be patient and wait for it to be resolved.

Taivan
05-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks Inyri

ColdTriton
05-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the info...sorry PhantomLord....I just sent you an email about this :rolleyes: I will await the fix.

inyri
05-02-2009, 09:09 PM
A note for you, ColdTriton -- if you will be running two accounts from the same PC for a legitimate reason definitely do notify a forum moderator or admin so action is not taken against either account.

fixit6
05-02-2009, 10:33 PM
It's related to the recent downtime and is not related to any account bannings. Staff are getting the same error -- just be patient and wait for it to be resolved.

Works now, but doesnt seem like a server restart since whenever that happens; consumables like med packs reset to full. Just booted alot of people, and then login went wonky. Anyhow, totally unrelated to the OP. Onwards.

Leodextrin
05-03-2009, 01:23 PM
It seems some people never learn...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/leodextrin/NewBanned.jpg

jat5560
05-03-2009, 05:58 PM
It seems some people never learn...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/leodextrin/NewBanned.jpg

You assume everyone who plays actually comes to this forum... lol

djolovicl
05-03-2009, 06:18 PM
You assume everyone who plays actually comes to this forum... lol

You assume everyone who plays actually can do that without making an account on this forum... lol

HoboWithABlaster
05-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Most people just sign up to random websites and hope for the best.

jat5560
05-03-2009, 08:22 PM
You assume everyone who plays actually can do that without making an account on this forum... lol

Making an account on the forums does not require you to read any of the posts...and most people don't.

They say "I want to play" so they download the launcher and realize they need a forum account, so they create one, then another, then another...then they log on.

It's not rocket science, most people hate the forums and avoid them at all costs.

robob21892
05-03-2009, 10:59 PM
They say "I want to play" so they download the launcher and realize they need a forum account, so they create one, then another, then another...then they log on.

Pretty much exactly what I did. However I would like to bring up that as a new user with little knowledge of testing procedures, it can be intimidating to make a post without taking in the community silently for awhile to make sure you know what to say.

For example, if I just came on here and said "Hey this is awesome guys! When do you think it will be ready," most of you would probably want to rip the keyboard out from under my fingers.

Take us silent folk with a grain of salt, once we get into the groove of things we'll come out of the wood-works.

Darious
05-06-2009, 07:25 PM
A note for you, ColdTriton -- if you will be running two accounts from the same PC for a legitimate reason definitely do notify a forum moderator or admin so action is not taken against either account.

I believe he sent PhantomLord an email regarding this, but am not sure as he had to go out on business for a while. I will also send an email to be sure. We have yet to experience any issues, but for the sake of both our accounts i will double check.

Efex
05-06-2009, 08:02 PM
So what if 2 people with 2 different computers (and different accounts) were playing on the same network?

inyri
05-06-2009, 08:03 PM
That should not cause any problems.

Efex
05-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Sounds good, now I can safely LAN it up.

Ecaobia Agiakov
05-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Is there anything that I can read on this subject? I am interested in how multiple accounts are being tested, and what the plans are to resolve this dillema.

ahoivik
05-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I just read through about 5 pages of this thread and I haven't seen once where "Multiple Computer's" is defined.

When you say multiple accounts are not allowed per computer, does per computer mean.

A) Per actual workstation

- or -

B) Per external IP address

As, I seriously doubt you have any way of actually tracking which "workstation" the logins are coming from, I'm assuming you mean external IP address, and if this is the case these attempts to ban accounts that come from the same IP unless they email you is just dumb. Unless you want to go through 1000 emails a day attempting to determine ( which its impossible to ) if there story is legit. That's a lot of work for a CSR. As a matter of fact, that's more work than some people get PAID to do and these CSR are doing it for free. This whole situation is just dumb and a new system needs to be worked out.

When you look at a game like galaxies or wow or whatever, the only thing keeping people from having multiple accounts was how much real money they wanted to put into this game. If you cant keep EVERYONE from multiple accounts your just making it unfair for everyone else.

Backwardsman9902
05-28-2009, 02:49 AM
Hey, I need a dev to help me set up an account for my dad... We will be playing from the same house. I tried to send an e-mail to Phantomleader yesterday... and I sent him a message on this site.. I haven't gotten a response, so it would be appreciated if I could get some help setting up my dads account so that it doesn't get banned for multiple accounts.

Ekaika
05-28-2009, 03:04 AM
Developers do not deal with accounts, they develop code. You can create your account for your father, and then PM me him account name, and I'll take care of it.

Ahoivik. Multiple accounts seems pretty self explanatory. More than 1 account. Forum accounts are linked to TC. You are permitted one. As to explaining in detail what checks we use, we won't be disclosing that, sorry. As to the work I/we do on this, it's not quite 1000 emails/day, but it's a lot :)

Backwardsman9902
05-29-2009, 01:58 PM
alright thank you, I'll send you a pm.. but the reason I sent phantomleader an e-mail is because on the first page of this thread it says to send an e-mail to phantomleader or you if you need to set up another account

NuWind
05-29-2009, 06:07 PM
I mustve not fully read the faq, I logged on swgemu at a friends house because he got it all installed and I just wanted to check it out, but his account was insta banned the moment he tried to use it, could someone please refer me to the guidelines of where I can and cant logon to swg?

Old swg lan parties were something I plan to recreate in the near future, if this wont be possible, I will be upset!

curt1s
05-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Making an account on the forums does not require you to read any of the posts...and most people don't.

It's not rocket science, most people hate the forums and avoid them at all costs.

Similar problems exist over at EQEmu.

inyri
05-30-2009, 11:15 AM
That happens often. In such an instance the administrators need to be informed.

Mr.Bobert
05-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Oh... informed, eh? Well, in that case, I was making account for my little brother (he's computer illiterate and had no idea how, lol) And made CalebElLoco. However, I entered an email address that apparently got erased, and couldn't get it activated, so I made him another account, CalebTHEloco (lol). The Second one is now banned?

Marcin
06-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Hi, I want to play with my brother in the same time, but we live together and have the same IP. His account is banned :(
What can we do? How can I contact the administrators?

Leodextrin
06-13-2009, 01:47 AM
Hi, I want to play with my brother in the same time, but we live together and have the same IP. His account is banned :(

PM PhantomLeader

Link (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=86)

Varanis Black
06-15-2009, 10:22 PM

It would be much easier if people understood they don't need multiple accounts for multiple characters, then you guys wouldnt need to keep removing duplicates. Unfortunately that seems to be the main issue of free accounts, it doesnt cost money to make a new account like it would with SOE.

I have the same question as above but we are not in the same house but in adjacent houses.

My son inlaw uses a seperate PC at a seperate residence but our IP addresses come up the same. " He and my daughter actualy live directly next door. hence the same IP"

I have sent an E-mail requesting that he be notified weather he can create an account or not.

The question is, Dose the program use the information from tha actual P.C. "Wich would solve the problem" to identify multiple accounts? Or dose it base it on I.P. address "Wich we have had problems with before"

He has had his account on another game we both play frozen due to the I.P. issue and just want to make sure it is all good!

slothdroid
06-16-2009, 07:10 AM
I emailed Phantomleader to see if I could open a second account for my girlfriend. No reply after a few days, so I assumed that it would be OK to. I made the account and it was insta-banned.

I emailed to ask why, and if it could be reinstated. Still no reply almost 2 weeks later.

I tried to log 2 toons on at once on the off chance it would work and it did!

1. Why not state at sign-up that this is possible.
2. If you put an email up for second accounts, why no response at all?

I am grateful for the work done on this project, but I agree with the above poster that other options should be explained more clearly.

I bring this up now, as it might be worth revisiting the way 2nd family/household accounts are handled before SC is released.

djolovicl
06-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Try to PM Ekaika.

xavia
06-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Please be patient, Phantomleader or other administrators will take care of your situation when they get a chance.

Varanis Black
06-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Well I dont mind letting admin know about the situation.
Actualy in a perfect world the people trying to get one over by making a ton of multies wouldn't do it.

But since not every one is honest, us that try to follow the rules must just be patient and with luck will have everything resolved in a fairly timely manner.

This is a test server after all and with luck there will be a solution in place to hinder multies and help those of us whe have ligitimate reasons to share a PC or an IP by the time of the full public release!

Ekowraith
06-16-2009, 01:42 PM
What measures are in place to prevent abuse of the "Family Accounts" exception?

Ekaika
06-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Oh... informed, eh? Well, in that case, I was making account for my little brother (he's computer illiterate and had no idea how, lol) And made CalebElLoco. However, I entered an email address that apparently got erased, and couldn't get it activated, so I made him another account, CalebTHEloco (lol). The Second one is now banned?

Email me please. I get a dozen account emails a day I handle, it's much easier to coordinate the discussion there, please.

Yes, email me. Look in my sig.

PM PhantomLeader

Link (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=86)

Phant is off-campus for the summer and has limited access. For faster response, email me. Link in sig.

I have the same question as above but we are not in the same house but in adjacent houses.

My son inlaw uses a seperate PC at a seperate residence but our IP addresses come up the same. " He and my daughter actualy live directly next door. hence the same IP"

I have sent an E-mail requesting that he be notified weather he can create an account or not.

The question is, Dose the program use the information from tha actual P.C. "Wich would solve the problem" to identify multiple accounts? Or dose it base it on I.P. address "Wich we have had problems with before"

He has had his account on another game we both play frozen due to the I.P. issue and just want to make sure it is all good!

We don't disclose our system checks. Email me with any issues.

I emailed Phantomleader to see if I could open a second account for my girlfriend. No reply after a few days, so I assumed that it would be OK to. I made the account and it was insta-banned.

I emailed to ask why, and if it could be reinstated. Still no reply almost 2 weeks later.

I tried to log 2 toons on at once on the off chance it would work and it did!

1. Why not state at sign-up that this is possible.
2. If you put an email up for second accounts, why no response at all?

I am grateful for the work done on this project, but I agree with the above poster that other options should be explained more clearly.

I bring this up now, as it might be worth revisiting the way 2nd family/household accounts are handled before SC is released.

We do state that multiple toons per account is fine, while multiple accounts are not. Please read all the information in the FAQ.

What measures are in place to prevent abuse of the "Family Accounts" exception?

We do not disclose out system checks, and we change them from time to time.

Folks. Don't ask how we do this, and DO NOT use this thread to debate it. If you're registered, you're fine. If you have an account issue, email me at the link in my sig.

Tothix
06-16-2009, 07:53 PM
My posts were deleted...

I guess Ekaika wants me silenced... :(

Leodextrin
06-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Phant is off-campus for the summer and has limited access. For faster response, email me. Link in sig.

Thanks for info, I'll keep that in mind next time.
:)

DarKenigma
06-18-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't get it whats the purpose of multiple accounts right now? There is no advantage for the "cheaters" it just bogs things down and skews numbers. The credits right now mean nothing, the loot right now means nothing, at any moment there could be a wipe. I can get myself buffed up in about 3 minutes on one toon with a bartender/gungan. The only tough part is the walk from the hospital to the cantina since the damn imp NPCs keep blowing up my swoop, even though I'm on leave and the nasty cat that likes to hang around outside the Coronet hospital.

Ekaika
06-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Correct. No clue. Basically if you tell someone they can't do something, they will spend hours of their lives proving they can. Yeah, I know. Silly.

Sundive
07-02-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't get it whats the purpose of multiple accounts right now? There is no advantage for the "cheaters" it just bogs things down and skews numbers. The credits right now mean nothing, the loot right now means nothing, at any moment there could be a wipe. I can get myself buffed up in about 3 minutes on one toon with a bartender/gungan. The only tough part is the walk from the hospital to the cantina since the damn imp NPCs keep blowing up my swoop, even though I'm on leave and the nasty cat that likes to hang around outside the Coronet hospital.

I think the issue for some is that the gungan isn't on other planets and he can't instant buff. (If he is and he can, please correct me). It's only in Theed. So if I want to test the Tusken fort, I have to forget all of my skills, learn doctor, buff, unlearn doctor, relearn pistoleer, bounty hunter, commando, smuggler (This takes about 5 to 25 minutes depending on lag), catch the flight to Tatoonie, do a few runs through the fort, fly back, and repeat the process to rebuff.

And if something goes wrong, like a spice downer at a bad time, I'll have to do the process before the 2:45 timer is up. I don't mind, but that's about an hour+ worth of time wasted just getting buffed, heading to your location and testing.

Or even funner, testing the night sister slave camp. And I've yet been able to make it to the Imperial prison (I keep stoping to kill night sisters).

Anyways, I had a question. I've read through all of the posts in this thread (that's dedication right there) and now I'm confused. First you guys say I need to inform you if there will be multiple accounts in the house. Then you say I need to inform you if there will be multiple accounts on one computer. Then it was changed to multiple accounts on one IP (no clarifications if it's LAN ip or internet ip. I assumed it's internet but then..) it went back to multiple accounts on one computer. This dance takes place for a few pages. Which is it?

My girlfriend wants to test along with me. She's going to use a laptop (right now it's disassembled and scattered across my desk). Do I contact someone and explain this or is it fine because she is going to be on a different computer? It'll have a different LAN ip (used to track multiple accounts on one computer) but have the same internet ip (used to track multiple accounts in one house)

djolovicl
07-02-2009, 12:24 PM
I think the issue for some is that the gungan isn't on other planets and he can't instant buff. (If he is and he can, please correct me). It's only in Theed. So if I want to test the Tusken fort, I have to forget all of my skills, learn doctor, buff, unlearn doctor, relearn pistoleer, bounty hunter, commando, smuggler (This takes about 5 to 25 minutes depending on lag), catch the flight to Tatoonie, do a few runs through the fort, fly back, and repeat the process to rebuff.

And if something goes wrong, like a spice downer at a bad time, I'll have to do the process before the 2:45 timer is up. I don't mind, but that's about an hour+ worth of time wasted just getting buffed, heading to your location and testing.

Or even funner, testing the night sister slave camp. And I've yet been able to make it to the Imperial prison (I keep stoping to kill night sisters).

Actually there are Blue Frogs on other planets, there are Jawa traders (near the shuttle-port) in Anchorhead (Tatooine), and Bartenders (one in front of the star-port and one in cantina) in Coronet (Corellia).

inyri
07-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I think the issue for some is that the gungan isn't on other planets and he can't instant buff. (If he is and he can, please correct me). It's only in Theed. So if I want to test the Tusken fort, I have to forget all of my skills, learn doctor, buff, unlearn doctor, relearn pistoleer, bounty hunter, commando, smuggler (This takes about 5 to 25 minutes depending on lag), catch the flight to Tatoonie, do a few runs through the fort, fly back, and repeat the process to rebuff.There are actually frogs on Naboo, Corellia, and Tatooine.
Anyways, I had a question. I've read through all of the posts in this thread (that's dedication right there) and now I'm confused. First you guys say I need to inform you if there will be multiple accounts in the house. Then you say I need to inform you if there will be multiple accounts on one computer. Then it was changed to multiple accounts on one IP (no clarifications if it's LAN ip or internet ip. I assumed it's internet but then..) it went back to multiple accounts on one computer. This dance takes place for a few pages. Which is it?

My girlfriend wants to test along with me. She's going to use a laptop (right now it's disassembled and scattered across my desk). Do I contact someone and explain this or is it fine because she is going to be on a different computer? It'll have a different LAN ip (used to track multiple accounts on one computer) but have the same internet ip (used to track multiple accounts in one house)At this point our staff prefers that you take all the necessary steps to avoid tripping our multiple account detector (register your accounts from different computers). If you do trip it and have a legitimate reason for doing so, e-mail Ekaika or PhantomLeader after the account is banned. In the past we advised contacting them before, but they simply get so many e-mails that it's nearly impossible to keep track of things that way. E-mail after the banning, explain the situation, and they will take care of it.

Sundive
07-02-2009, 12:34 PM
There are actually frogs on Naboo, Corellia, and Tatooine.

Frogs? Literally frogs? Are the tall or small? Can I find them on planets like Dath and Talus? (I wanted to test the prison and base. Do those count as lairs?) I don't think I've ever seen a frog. So I'll be on the lookout.

At this point our staff prefers that you take all the necessary steps to avoid tripping our multiple account detector (register your accounts from different computers). If you do trip it and have a legitimate reason for doing so, e-mail Ekaika or PhantomLeader after the account is banned. In the past we advised contacting them before, but they simply get so many e-mails that it's nearly impossible to keep track of things that way. E-mail after the banning, explain the situation, and they will take care of it.

Thanks. This is what I'll do.

Actually there are Blue Frogs on other planets, there are Jawa traders (near the shuttle-port) in Anchorhead (Tatooine), and Bartenders (one in front of the star-port and one in cantina) in Coronet (Corellia).

Okay. So instead of heading to Theed next time, I'll head to Bespine>Anchorhead. Thanks.

inyri
07-02-2009, 12:36 PM
As I said, there are blue frogs on Naboo, Corellia, and Tatooine. These are the only locations (you can find them outside the starport and in the medical center in Theed, near the entrance to the cantina in Coronet, and near the shuttleport in Anchorhead).

The term "blue frog" is not literal. I'm not aware of its origin, although I'm sure many people here are, but you'll be looking for Gungan traders in Theed, a bartender in Coronet, and Jawa traders in Anchorhead.

Tolbat
07-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Not to mention that there is NO need for multiple accounts when you can run multiple instances of the same account.

I just fail to see any use in multiple accounts for one person on the Emu.

dedaskalion
07-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Just FYI, I missed it if it was already stated, on order to run multiple instances of SWGEmu through ONE account you need to run LPE - click option - toggle allow multiple instances to true. After that just tab our of your current session and run LPE AGAIN, and log in with the SAME ACCOUNT for a second time.

SpecOp9
07-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Let me see if I got this thread correct.

1) Do not create multiple login accounts, it's a pain in the ass

2) It's perfectly alright to have more than one character on the test server

djolovicl
07-09-2009, 08:24 PM

1) Yes

2) Yes

Ekaika
07-09-2009, 09:26 PM

If there's a followup question inbound.. let me preempt it. Enable "Allow Multiple Instances" in LPE to play multiple character simultaneously.

mrbeleth
07-10-2009, 02:32 AM
The term "blue frog" is not literal. I'm not aware of its origin, although I'm sure many people here are, but you'll be looking for Gungan traders in Theed, a bartender in Coronet, and Jawa traders in Anchorhead.

on the original SWG test center, there were large blue frog statues in place of the Bartenders and Traders that SWGEmu uses. They served the same purpose and the interface was basically the same.

sorry for the off-topic post...

Danlo
07-21-2009, 12:48 AM
Enable "Allow Multiple Instances" in LPE to play multiple character simultaneously.

I read the first 2-3 pages and was going to post a question. But then I clicked on page 10 and low and behold the answer to stop 10 pages worth of *****ing and complaining was finally posted. :rolleyes:

Ekaika
07-21-2009, 01:52 AM
The answer is actually posted in the original thread. Yeah, we had to make another, as the original didn't quite have the effect we had hoped for. Glad you found your info!

Tiron
07-23-2009, 09:09 PM
After reading all 10 pages (whew), I do see one of the concerns with an automated system have been addressed. a Gateway/NAT setup, which a lot of people have to use to share a connection, causes all computers behind it to have the same IP. But since you're now handling these situations after the ban, that's covered.

The other big concern would be dynamic IPs. I don't know for sure how common it is, but my DSL setup uses Dynamic IPs(with my modem acting as a NAT router when it's not supposed to, it now only changes if the router is reset). In such a situation, it would be (extremely) unlikely but possible for two people who don't even know each other but are on the same ISP to come up with the same IP.

This'd generally be pretty easily detected by the admin as when they checked logs they'd see the IP address changing regularly. The problem being...they wouldn't know why they were banned(assuming they do get banned), and thus who to contact.

Just a thought.

Ekaika
07-23-2009, 09:13 PM
That will not be a factor. You're assuming you know what checks are in place, and when those checks take place.

Please, refrain from using this thread to 'guess' our system security measures. Rest assured, if anyone has a problem, we are ready willing and able to resolve it.

Frenzyfreeze
07-24-2009, 12:42 AM
I like this topic. Makes less jeedai in a way.

darkoo66
07-24-2009, 01:48 AM
i'm not sure what's goin on,, i searched forums,, nuttin i can see relates,,, I am Using LPE,, after i hit play and login,, i get an error, account in use, or unauthorized, please help.

Leodextrin
07-24-2009, 01:53 AM
i'm not sure what's goin on,, i searched forums,, nuttin i can see relates,,, I am Using LPE,, after i hit play and login,, i get an error, account in use, or unauthorized, please help.

The login server is down, so more then likely nothing is wrong with your client or anything, just wait and all will be well with the world.

darkoo66
07-24-2009, 01:58 AM
thanx, that explains it :),, darthidiot66 on youtube

Tiron
07-24-2009, 12:02 PM
That will not be a factor. You're assuming you know what checks are in place, and when those checks take place.

Please, refrain from using this thread to 'guess' our system security measures. Rest assured, if anyone has a problem, we are ready willing and able to resolve it.

There's a wee bit of difference between trying to 'guess' how your security system works and people that want to know if they're going to have a problem or not.

Not everyone with a question about the system is trying to figure out how to circumvent it. Frankly, I don't see the POINT of circumventing it so I can't bloody well figure out why you would want to.

As long as people know there is a possibility that they will get automatically banned, and aren't being told why, they're going to ask. Over and over and over because they don't WANT to get banned and then have to fuss with it. They want to NOT get banned.

Frankly, if I got banned from the Emu, automated or not, I probably wouldn't contact anyone, I'd just write it off and never come back.

Simply put, as long as you're blizzard-like in crypticness, people, good natured and bad, are going to be constantly deluging you with questions about 'will this get me banned, will that get me banned'. Some because for whatever stupid reason they're trying to get around it, others because they simply don't want to get banned.

Not knowing the process, having your fate put at the whim of someone you don't know... even if they're apparently trustworthy, it's both nerve racking and scary. Especially for a newcomer.

Finally, hurling accusations, ill will, and condescension at someone trying to point out a potential flaw in your system that could cause people to be driven off is about the best way I can think of to discourage helpfulness in future.

Ekaika
07-24-2009, 03:53 PM
We're not Blizzard, we're a few guys trying to do our best. I certainly didn't mean to come off antagonistic, I'm simply trying to maintain the system.

The reality is this, our system that is put in place, being the best we can do, has certain checks in place to attempt to ensure one account per user. Obviously, no system is perfect, and there are holes in ours.

However, we make it clear, that if a situation occurs, there is recourse one can take to quickly and easily rectify. We cannot predict and plan for all situations, nor prevent all unnecessary bannings from occurring. We can fix them quickly if and when they happen. And we do so all day, every day.

I hope you understand our rationale, and continue to support us in our efforts to bring back pre-cu.

Aloha.

BigEvil
07-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Let me lay it out there Ekaika for peeps again. Some don't understand for whatever reason that you can run more than one instance on any computer. You DO NOT have to make more than one account.

Each account can support mulitple charaters/toons.

Shrink the screen and start the game again. This is another "instance."

Now, with the second instance running, log in as another character. Now you are playing two characters simultaneously. I've gone as far as three with my 6 year old pc. It is very possible.

The one account per person is maintained, and you can still run a second (or whatever) character at the same time for buffing or whatever. This is allowed and explained several times within this thread.

EDIT: If I'm off base here, pls whack-a-mole my post. :)

Tiron
07-24-2009, 04:48 PM
That's okay... I probably overreacted a little honestly, having had a bad experience with Blizz recently...

I was more thinking along the lines of making it so if there is a hit for some odd, random reason that isn't actually related to multiple accounts, they can find that out without having to bounce around all over the place first. An e-mail, or hell, just a message when they try to log in perhaps. I don't know.

I was mostly just mentioning the possibility that someone could get hit and not know why.

BigEvil
07-24-2009, 04:51 PM
I understand. I had an account banned because I did not read. Same as most.

When I actually went through the resources provided, I learned what was up. The biggest issue is that many people want instant satisfaction without reading the terms as they exist.

I read, I learned, and now I understand. They just have to be open to learning about what they are trying to join, and put the time towards doing so. :)

Sliz6
12-29-2009, 12:53 AM
I just have one question... Say I make my account on my computer and go to a friends house and log on to my account on his computer there will I get in trouble if he already made an account on his computer?

Baigs
12-29-2009, 12:59 AM
from what I've read because will be same IP yes.

Corvin Rok
12-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Just to give some frank honesty from a new user-- people are NOT generally trying to create multiple accounts. Most people are just trying to just allow multiple people in their family/household to make their own accounts. It seems a little ridiculous that you would tell people who have their own logins to a computer (profile) that they can't create an account on a given computer when its a new account for a new user. The original game certainly allowed this.

You have to take into account that people from the same house might want to play the game.

inyri
12-29-2009, 01:25 AM
We do.

Kreen
12-29-2009, 01:26 AM
Just to give some frank honesty from a new user-- people are NOT generally trying to create multiple accounts. Most people are just trying to just allow multiple people in their family/household to make their own accounts. It seems a little ridiculous that you would tell people who have their own logins to a computer (profile) that they can't create an account on a given computer when its a new account for a new user. The original game certainly allowed this.

You have to take into account that people from the same house might want to play the game.

They understand this, and if you email them, they get back with you rather quickly. A whole group of my friends were on the same apartment's wifi, sent an email after getting banned and got it resolved in like 30 minutes.

SoE did allow multiple accounts. As long as you pay for them, they don't care if you have 50. SWGEmu is free, and in order to prevent people from unfairly getting an upper hand, they are enforcing a single account policy.

Baigs
12-29-2009, 01:27 AM

from the very first post in this thread...

"using other people's computers will also trip the detector. I don't know how many times I've got to say this... but BEFORE CREATING NEW ACCOUNTS OR USING OTHER ACCOUNT-HOLDER'S COMPUTERS, EMAIL community@swgemu.com"

Note again :BEFORE CREATING NEW ACCOUNTS OR USING OTHER ACCOUNT-HOLDER'S COMPUTERS, EMAIL community@swgemu.com"

easy fix and everyone in teh household can play...

and yes the Original game allows multiple accounts on one PC IF, key word there IF, you bought the game more than once... you paid for it you paid monthly for teh accounts.. . EMU is free so there is no buying accounts this is pretty much the only way that they can keep someone from making a zillion accounts and running a city all by themselves and such. Also in EMU, unlike the original game, you can create more than one char and have them both logged in at teh same time (think limit is 2)

Alcadar
12-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Ok so are you saying its ok to play one account on multiple computers then? because im getting a second computer in a month or so and i dont really want to have to start completely over. so i guess what im asking is. Will you be allowed to play one account on multiple computers At the same time? i hear alot that you can log in more then one computer to the same account at the same time. just wanting to have this clear

Baigs
12-29-2009, 02:17 AM
Ok so are you saying its ok to play one account on multiple computers then? because im getting a second computer in a month or so and i dont really want to have to start completely over. so i guess what im asking is. Will you be allowed to play one account on multiple computers At the same time? i hear alot that you can log in more then one computer to the same account at the same time. just wanting to have this clear

Found this in part of a post on page 5 of this thread

1. You do not need more than 1 account. A person can log in 10102383 computers on the same account, and you can also run multiple instances on the same computer.

Alcadar
12-29-2009, 02:49 AM
Well i guess that answers my question lol. but i dont want to try it cause i really dont want to hear that then i do it and get banned >.>

Baigs
12-29-2009, 02:52 AM
Well i guess that answers my question lol. but i dont want to try it cause i really dont want to hear that then i do it and get banned >.>

in that cause send a e-mail to that address posted before ans ask.. wost they can say is nope.

g0b0ts
12-29-2009, 03:30 AM
I had a quick question/circumstance regarding this... I travel pretty much all year long, all over the U.S. So therefore, I am always on a different IP week to week, sometimes day to day. Are you saying that I would be banned if I logged in and somebody (i dunno, 6mths ago) created emu account on that particular hotels IP before?

Vlada
12-29-2009, 04:26 AM
I'm not sure how IP thing really works, but from what i "think" i know, yes you would get banned. Two accounts, same IP, one of them gets banned, the newer one i think.

Alcadar
12-29-2009, 05:04 AM
Well if i can log on two instances of the game on one computer that would make grinding art alot easyer so i dont have to do it for a few hours then make money i can just do bother at once.

bla121
12-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Hey guys, how would I know if my account was banned? Does it tell you when logging in sth. like "Your account has been banned due to blabla..." or would it tell you simply can't login?

I'm getting bad password errors and I wonder - as I logged in 2 days before without problem and now share a IP with my brother - if it is just the login server or my account was banned, in which case I would follow inyri's advice on contacting by email after a account was banned.

Vlada
12-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Hey guys, how would I know if my account was banned? Does it tell you when logging in sth. like "Your account has been banned due to blabla..." or would it tell you simply can't login?

I'm getting bad password errors and I wonder - as I logged in 2 days before without problem and now share a IP with my brother - if it is just the login server or my account was banned, in which case I would follow inyri's advice on contacting by email after a account was banned.

Nah you would get a message that you are banned, and you wouldn't be able to log on to this forum either.

What you are seeing now is a bugged message that appears when the logon server is down. You can check in the news section and see the official report from LD.

Falconer
12-30-2009, 04:10 PM

if this was a 10 or so hours ago, the log in server was down

yesco
12-30-2009, 09:24 PM
can multiple people play on one account at the same time i mean one plays one toon and anonther plays on a different toon cause if you can't thats the problem some people have siblings who want to play too

Vlada
12-30-2009, 09:34 PM
can multiple people play on one account at a time i mean one plays one toon and anonther plays on a different toon cause if you can't thats the problem some people have siblings who want to play too

One person with one account can currently log 2 instances. Meaning if you want to share your account with your brother or friend you can, but you will be able to log only 1 toon each.

If you both have an account, meaning 2 people two accounts, you would both be able to log on 2 instances, meaning you two 4 toons logged at the same time (2 each).

To be able to log on multiple instances you have to enable it in LPE. Launch LPE go to Options and press button "Toggle" near "Allow Multiple Instances" so that red "False" becomes green "True"

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3649/swgemuguide.png

Shewky
01-07-2010, 07:58 AM
i had 3 accounts at swg. cant we just "buy" new account?

inyri
01-07-2010, 09:49 AM
No. You can have multiple characters on one account, and for this reason there is no need for multiple accounts which is why we prohibit it.

conard
01-07-2010, 10:56 AM
No. You can have multiple characters on one account, and for this reason there is no need for multiple accounts which is why we prohibit it.

I have one account, but I'd like for my wife to play at the same time with me.
So can she use our second computer and log in while Im on the first computer? Both computers are on the same 2 wire router.

conard
01-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I have one account, but I'd like for my wife to play at the same time with me.
So can she use our second computer and log in while Im on the first computer? Both computers are on the same 2 wire router.

edit isn't working for me....but I did send an email 2 weeks ago asking if this was alright
no reply yet

russ6754
01-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Create a second account, it will get banned then you send them an email. Also, staff has been limited for the holiday break so that could be why they haven't responded quickly.

odwill
01-07-2010, 11:20 AM
edit isn't working for me....but I did send an email 2 weeks ago asking if this was alright
no reply yet

Send it again please; Community@swgemu.com. As of Tuesday of this week, all outstanding emails from over the holidays were responded to.

Thanks.

conard
01-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Thank you for the response I just resent it.

spite
01-09-2010, 11:08 AM
How does this work with people just temporarily at the same place? If for example I would bring my comp to a LAN party, would I have to get the username of each person on the LAN playing the SWG-Emu?

stephenbarney
01-09-2010, 12:16 PM
There really is no problem I have a daughter who wanted to play i emailed support created her account and waited for a responce the emailed me back now were are fine to both play works fine you do have to remember that the team had a holiday at xmas so its no surprise they may have had a backlog but you just need to be patient and give the staff a break.

Tecar
01-10-2010, 07:20 PM
So if we see someone that is obviously dual accounting, i.e. 1 guy and 3 following and all 4 are resourcing sampling always together. We should rat them out?

lunatec
01-10-2010, 07:22 PM
So if we see someone that is obviously dual accounting, i.e. 1 guy and 3 following and all 4 are resourcing sampling always together. We should rat them out?

Multi-instancing is fine

Yhor
01-10-2010, 11:05 PM

Yes.

spite
01-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Multi-instancing is fine
OR
Yes.
Which one would be the correct? xD I guess you could quickly multi-instance with a friends account to help them or something but since you arn't allowed to have more than one account doing something else multi-instancing would be off-limits, am I right?

Myke013
01-11-2010, 12:43 PM
OR

Which one would be the correct? xD I guess you could quickly multi-instance with a friends account to help them or something but since you arn't allowed to have more than one account doing something else multi-instancing would be off-limits, am I right?

If it's the same guy but with the same account (has to be both, no account sharing) then multi-instancing is fine. I do it with my artisan and I made sure beforehand.

Also, can we ask permission on IRC support for a second account or is it only email?

inyri
01-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Please use the e-mail. The people that take care of these issues are not often immediately active on IRC.

Myke013
01-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Please use the e-mail. The people that take care of these issues are not often immediately active on IRC.

How long on average does it take for a reply?

Vlada
01-11-2010, 09:46 PM
How long on average does it take for a reply?

A day, two, maybe more. No ETA's here mate. :)

Dorkybob
01-12-2010, 04:58 PM
It would make sense to create a second account if you were banned from posting on the forums and wanted to start under a new name but that isn't the case. Judging by the list of newcomers, next to none of them have posted anything in the forums yet. Obviously the multiple/banned accounts need to be purged to maintain an accurate total of how many users will be playing the Emu.

This isn't always the case, look at my post count, but I've been around for ages even before this new forum and site was created, and my wife plays but never even visits the forums because she believes her time would be better spent playing the game than reading about people whining about it.

The simplest solution is to just read the Rules laid out by the Dev team and follow them, just because a handful of people are "cheating" doesn't mean that you MUST to stay competitive. The best thing is to let the Dev's deal with those folks.

Spudhussey
01-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure what there is to stay competitive about. The game isn't even finished, play, enjoy and try to help the developers get a finished product out that they are satisfied with. Find and report bugs and move the game along. :-)

vedwed
01-13-2010, 11:59 AM
I also sent an email about this, I have 3 comps at home, my wife, brother-in-law, and myself all play together, and am hoping to do so in EMU. Currently I have an account and am awaiting a reply as to the others.

spite
01-13-2010, 02:02 PM
If it's the same guy but with the same account (has to be both, no account sharing) then multi-instancing is fine. I do it with my artisan and I made sure beforehand.

Oh that is possible? Didn't know you could login to your own account more than once :P Then I wonder, why the hell would you want more than one account? :S

skudster13
01-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Just like you said, you didn't know you could. I'm sure most players here didn't/don't know that they can log into every character in their account at once (as long as their comp can handle it).

Kindelaria
01-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Typically, the server will only let you have 2 characters from one account online at one time.
Sometimes this restriction is lifted, but bank on max 2, and enjoy the bonus if you are allowed to log the 3rd and 4th :)

Vlada
01-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Just like you said, you didn't know you could. I'm sure most players here didn't/don't know that they can log into every character in their account at once (as long as their comp can handle it).

No you cant. There is a limit, two instances logged at the same time per account.

ifraggedu
01-19-2010, 02:55 AM
Well thats cool. My roommate and I are having trouble. He created his account first and I tried to make an account on my computer and I was instantly banned as soon as I activated my account. I guess they only allow 1 account per MAC address?

Vlada
01-19-2010, 04:24 AM
Well thats cool. My roommate and I are having trouble. He created his account first and I tried to make an account on my computer and I was instantly banned as soon as I activated my account. I guess they only allow 1 account per MAC address?

If you and your roommate must have separate accounts (well you already try to make them), sand an email to community@swgemu.com, explain your situation and ask them to lift the ban from your account.

mrjoyce
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
right guys the thing is, your allowed unlimited amounts of characters on ONE account, so whats the point in creating multiple accounts? if you want to use two characters just run two instances of the game, the LPE IS designed to do that in the options, so there really should be no arguement about ALLOWING multiple accounts, i have 2 brothers who play SWGEmu in my house with me, we have different accounts for the forums, but when it comes to playing the game we have the same account. If me and my two brothers can do this for the devs why can't everyone?

lunatec
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
I can't believe that this thread is still going....same questions asked 100 times, same answers. The definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over again, expecting a different result.

ddraggonswingg74
01-22-2010, 09:38 PM
ok i have 3 people in my house, all of like SWG, i have my account, my girlfriend has hers and her sister made an account that got banned instantly, we all have our own computers and used our own computers to register, just trying to figure out since NONE of these accounts are multiples how we can get her to be able to play too :lightsaber::emperor:

Ovale
01-22-2010, 09:42 PM
ok i have 3 people in my house, all of like SWG, i have my account, my girlfriend has hers and her sister made an account that got banned instantly, we all have our own computers and used our own computers to register, just trying to figure out since NONE of these accounts are multiples how we can get her to be able to play too :lightsaber::emperor:

Send an email and explain your situation. I believe it is community@swgemu.com but I don't remember for sure.

Leodextrin
01-22-2010, 09:42 PM
email community@swgemu.com and explain your situation ddragonswingg74 and they'll get back to you and get you set up.

Stinney
01-25-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't get it. I can get a new ip address each time I reboot my router. If someone else with the same ISP also plays, it will seemsas though there are 2 accounts on the same ip.
If it's done by mac address well that's easily spoofed. You can literally change your mac addy in windows, without any 3rd part tools.

Intrigued as to the checks performed, because nothing else jumps out as being obvious. Unless they have somehow obtained or reverse engineered the product keys too.

Pauleh
01-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Whats the average hear back time form the community @ swgemu.com?

bettytheninja
01-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Ok, my roommate wants to play and I understand that I have to email them about the multiple accounts being on one IP address, but do I need two copies of the game disk or can he just install from my disk and be ok? I just want to clarify because I really don't want to screw this up. I'm sorry if this has been answered, but there is so much stuff to go through to find the answer.

Vlada
01-28-2010, 04:52 PM
You should have two sets of discs.

ShaydinTsepesh
01-28-2010, 06:09 PM
here's a wacky idea

if you have mutiple computers on a network ... run multple instances and use the same account

Sarkoth
01-29-2010, 02:46 AM
i made a second account, got banned yesterday, got in game today...then got banned again for logging into it today again. I just read this post and it won't happen again sorry..lota ppl don't read the forums though should be at character creation or something. Thanks for putting the unpaid hours and dealing with all the whining SWG takes me back.

GilGalvanti
01-30-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm confused by what you mean by "multiple accounts". My brother and I both used (when we played the game preCU) the same account with different characters. So are you saying we can't do this now? Or just that we can't play online at the same time? Or just that we can't play two characters on the same computer at the same time?

inyri
01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
An individual can not have or play on more than one account. Each player should have their own account.

ShaydinTsepesh
01-30-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm confused by what you mean by "multiple accounts". My brother and I both used (when we played the game preCU) the same account with different characters. So are you saying we can't do this now? Or just that we can't play online at the same time? Or just that we can't play two characters on the same computer at the same time?

you can use the same account to have different toons like you did before

as long as there is a single account attached to you IP adress you are good to go

you can also play both at the same time on the same computer by turning on multiple "INSTANCES" (not accounts :P) but you will have to tab back and forth

play two at once by running two computers on the same account on a network

cxccharlie
01-30-2010, 08:51 PM
moving to diff address but going to use same comp -- i sould be ok yes?

GilGalvanti
01-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Ok, it seems like I'm getting contradictory answers...

An individual can not have or play on more than one account. Each player should have their own account.
An account can have multiple characters which two people on different computers at different locations can play on though?

you can use the same account to have different toons like you did before

as long as there is a single account attached to you IP adress you are good to go

you can also play both at the same time on the same computer by turning on multiple "INSTANCES" (not accounts :P) but you will have to tab back and forth

play two at once by running two computers on the same account on a network
We are in different cities, but he is going to tell me the key after I finish updating, so we can play together. So IP address should not be a problem. I'm just trying to figure out if I will have to buy my own copy of the game or if we can both play on the same account with different characters at the same time but at 2 different locations.

Vlada
01-30-2010, 09:05 PM
moving to diff address but going to use same comp -- i sould be ok yes?

You shouldn't have any problems.

inyri
01-30-2010, 09:09 PM
An account can have multiple characters which two people on different computers at different locations can play on though?Each person should have their own account. Each individual can have only one account. So no, two people should not be sharing an account. Each person should have their own account, which can have multiple characters.

GilGalvanti
01-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Each person should have their own account. Each individual can have only one account. So no, two people should not be sharing an account. Each person should have their own account, which can have multiple characters.

Ok, so we will be banned if we both try to play at the same time?

ShaydinTsepesh
01-30-2010, 09:19 PM
We are in different cities, but he is going to tell me the key after I finish updating, so we can play together. So IP address should not be a problem. I'm just trying to figure out if I will have to buy my own copy of the game or if we can both play on the same account with different characters at the same time but at 2 different locations.

ahh in this instance the legit way is to buy your own copy ... if he lets you "borrow" his copy to install this is pirating

as far as multiple computers playing a single account in different locations is kind of pointless if you both own a copy .... it dont cost nothing to create an account here after you have your disks

my example was for computers in a single house

GilGalvanti
01-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Ok, thanks for the help, I'll go get my own copy tonight.

Pepsichic
02-01-2010, 03:46 AM
Me and Fireblade are husband and wife, we use our own computers, have our own accounts but are on the same network so share the same IP. Will this be ok? I think he sent an email as requested, but i dont know if anyones read it or if its been acknowledged.

Vlada
02-01-2010, 04:01 AM
Me and Fireblade are husband and wife, we use our own computers, have our own accounts but are on the same network so share the same IP. Will this be ok? I think he sent an email as requested, but i dont know if anyones read it or if its been acknowledged.

If yours or his account isn't banned i guess someone did and you don't have anything to worry about.

JNinness
02-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Lucky you! My wife's account was banned the second it was created and hasn't been unbanned yet.

Yes I've sent the emails...

Pepsichic
02-01-2010, 06:29 PM
If yours or his account isn't banned i guess someone did and you don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks, will cross my fingers!

Sam_Lorrack
02-01-2010, 08:42 PM
I had the same problem with my wife's account getting banned on creation due to us having the same IP. I sent an email and it was fixed in 2 days (Saturday being account creation and today being Monday).

Thanks!

kavor
02-03-2010, 11:02 PM
is there anyway we can have a little disclaimer on the setup guide that says this? I've been a member of this site for a really long time now, but I dont check it every day/night/week/month. I was only able stumble upon this because I decided to browse around, and for someone who is casual, they don't see the other bajillion posts about multiple accounts. I think this point was made earlier but those of us who remember the old school swg, you could only have 1 char per server per account, so many of us had 2 or even 3 accounts to have our crafting toons etc. Those who are like me and don't browse every single thread of every single forum, and who remember the way things used to be when SOE ran the show, tend to not think out of the box and say "hey maybe they made it to where we can have multiple toons". Just my 2 cents.

thanks

Vlada
02-04-2010, 02:35 AM
I have no idea why this isn't a sticky.

azaezel
02-05-2010, 04:31 AM
because they haven't really had time to enforce it, or that's my guess. With the holidays, and such, I have a feeling that everything is pretty much on the back burner, as far as SWGEmu is concerned, and rightfully so...

Also, there's no way of ACTUALLY enforcing the policy, seeing as how the game will now run on a low end laptop. Most people have at least one desktop, possibly more, and a laptop. I myself have 2 desktops, and 2 laptops. One set is mine, the other is my wifes. I have a feeling, that this is pretty common for folks. It's also pretty common to connect from the same IP, due to a router. Now if they're using MAC's to ban people, we've got 4 chances to create accounts. I have not done so... simply because there's no real need... first of all, we could be wiped at any given time, and second of all, it's not fair with the server cap, to other players.

However, there are those that don't feel the same, and I'm sure are using all of the computers they have to their advantage, and unfortunately, there's no real good way of preventing them from doing so... that much is obvious just by walking into a cantina, and seeing a spam macro to send a tell to another player to get the entertainer started buffing, and by the numerous Surveyors.

Unfortunately, the only way for this to stop completely is if the community polices itself...

Ekaika
02-05-2010, 04:40 AM
We enforce things as time permits and the community necessitates.

Lukstarkiler
02-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Currently on Test Center: Nova, no. There is no character limit per account. Again we insist that only one account is created per user, however.

Sooo... rather than reading through lines of posts, I can just safely assume that if I have friends over and host a lan party of SWG I won't get my butt chewed out for having multiple accounts logged in from the same IP? I'm just a bit confused when it comes to this...

Metal
02-07-2010, 10:51 AM
There are so many dual boxers online... that is geting crazy, but as always no gm's to do something.

Let's not speak about forums...

larsemand
02-07-2010, 11:49 AM
So im guessing thats why i have trouble even connection to the server sometimes, like right now :/

They have ingame players as part of the support team, why not also players to patrol these things?

Medra
02-07-2010, 11:51 AM
You are allowed to have 2 characters on at one time. Just because someone has an entertainer and another character on doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong. Just because they have a sampler and a combat character on at the same time, doesn't mean they are doing something wrong. Just because someone chooses to have both of their online slots be samplers temporarily, doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong. Just because everybody wanted swoop metal at the same time, hours after swoops suddenly were able to be crafted and during a time when there were so many people suddenly interested in being on the TC again, doesn't mean there were a lot of people doing anything wrong. Especially at the one spawn point that was on a starter planet, just outside a major city.

By the way, if you get yourself set up for IRC and check status, you will find out why you can't connect. It's deadlocked. The samplers didn't cause it, either.

Rafe_Sendron
02-11-2010, 10:03 AM
So, are accounts being unbanned right now or are the devs too busy? I've got a buddy trying to play but his account was banned immediately for some reason. He's using legit software and is the only one in his house, so I don't know what the problem might be.

sythzon
02-11-2010, 12:09 PM
it is wrong to have the multiple accounts imo. but, i do think the massive amounts of surveyors is good due to the fact that we need to find spawns and test the server and what not.

so there is some kind of plus to it.

Zuris
02-28-2010, 04:14 PM
im just curious to know what the problem is running for someone to have multiple accounts or running more than one at a time ?

Vlada
02-28-2010, 04:58 PM
im just curious to know what the problem is running for someone to have multiple accounts or running more than one at a time ?

Multiple accounts are against the rules, however you can run multiple instances (you can have two characters logged at the same time) from LPE.

Winn
03-02-2010, 06:18 AM
Multiple accounts are against the rules, however you can run multiple instances (you can have two characters logged at the same time) from LPE.

just curious.
would that include 2 different toons from 2 different machines on the same account or would trying so get me banned

hayward6
03-02-2010, 06:47 AM
I came here to make sure I understand the rules... My Wife and I both started playing last week, and we do have separate accounts and computers. We also have 4 kids who are using one of our accounts from time to time, and they have their own computers. I would think this should be ok, but now I don't know... So at any given time one or both of our accounts could be played on any one of my home computers, or laptops. I currently have 4 gaming Computers, and 3 laptops. I was hoping to leave my miner on my laptop while I'm at work to harvest, so I need to know if that's ok as well. Bottom line... We have 2 accounts being shared with 6 family members all under the same roof.

Vlada
03-02-2010, 06:55 AM
For one person to have more than one account is against the rules, and that is not your case, so you are fine, i think.

hayward6
03-02-2010, 07:56 AM
For one person to have more than one account is against the rules, and that is not your case, so you are fine, i think.

Oh ok, great! We're definitely not doing that, in fact we only have the 2 accounts for 6 people to share :) With the hopping around different systems in my house I was a bit nervous about being banned, so I figured I better be safe and check it out.

Thanks a lot!

Vlada
03-02-2010, 07:59 AM
In case that something like that ever happens, though i doubt it will at this point (it usually happens right after the creation of a new account) just send an email to community@segemu.com, explain your situation and ask them to lift that ban.

Deachus Cruairchall
03-02-2010, 04:05 PM
In case that something like that ever happens, though i doubt it will at this point (it usually happens right after the creation of a new account) just send an email to community@segemu.com, explain your situation and ask them to lift that ban.

This is great advice, and what I did before purchasing a second client for my second computer for my daughter. Ask the specific questions you want answered and they will respond to them. Just remember not to play two seperate clients simultaneously on the same computer or the same client simultaneously on seperate computers. If you contact them and let them know what is going on, you will not have to worry about it.

bigbenz
03-02-2010, 06:13 PM
I dont like this site. Way too many power trips and lies.

Vlada
03-02-2010, 06:40 PM
I dont like this site. Way too many power trips and lies.

Could you elaborate please?

bigbenz
03-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Could you elaborate please?

I dont need to. If you open your eyes a little you will see. I been around for a very long time. Its all blah blah blah now.

inyri
03-04-2010, 12:25 AM
There's a logout button at the top of the page. Feel free to use that if you like, but otherwise allow this thread to stick to the appropriate topic.

Ghalion
03-04-2010, 01:30 PM
This is great advice, and what I did before purchasing a second client for my second computer for my daughter. Ask the specific questions you want answered and they will respond to them. Just remember not to play two seperate clients simultaneously on the same computer or the same client simultaneously on seperate computers. If you contact them and let them know what is going on, you will not have to worry about it.

i was told this was ok
and have had my crafter doing his sampling on my pc while i play on my laptop
i spoke to one of the mods on irc about it and he said it was ok

if a dev sees this and it is not ok please do tell me
iv tried runing the 2 on my laptop since i recently found out how but it starts heating up really bad
so i would prefer to keep doing it the way i have bean