Travel Warnings
Notice on TC Fixes
Staff Changes
Quick Stats
Developer Round Table
Role Play Chapter

2) Body:

OR Update and Focusing on the Future of the Code

For those who are just joining the SWGemu community, the Object Revamp is the primary focus for our developers now. We will not be updating or fixing anymore professions at this time. All changes or balancing to professions and the crafting system are planned after the OR is completed. To ask any questions or find out the status of your profession’s development, please visit the profession forums (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26).

Event Coordination Calendar on Google (https://www.google.com/calendar/hosted/swgemu.com/embed?src=swgemu.com_jgqlnbrpho0l4u26gjt8si7lng@gr oup.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Denver)

An Event Coordination Calendar has been set up to make notification about events easier to see. This will be used to send out announcements about future events, devchats, stress testing, and other notable events.

You must join an email list to be notified of changes to this calendar. To be added to the SWGEmu Event Email List, please send a blank email with the subject "Add Me To The SWGEmu Events List" to swgemueventlist-add@swgemu.com.

Chatting with the Developers

Thank you to Bobius, cRush, Kyle, Anakis and Oru who took time out to answer questions on November 7th in an IRC DevChat. The major topic of this DevChat was the Object Revamp. The devs explained in more detail what exactly the OR is and how it will affect the community at large. A complete log of that DevChat can be found here (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35910) for anyone who missed it. We had a lot of very good questions come in during the session. Thank you to everyone who submitted them.

Clarifying Client Development versus Client Modification

Questions arose out of the November 7th DevChat about exactly what was the purpose of the Client Development Team and modding the SOE client. To be clear, SWGEmu does not endorse client modifications nor allow client modifications to be distributed on any SWGEmu networks.

First, all objects and some functions/commands are based on the code in your client. The client is an executable file that accesses data files. What you see in game, such as the appearance of a bolma, exists in your client’s data files on your computer there at home. SOE used a different data file type in Pre-CU than it did for data files that contain CU and NGE information. We have unraveled the Pre-CU data file type so that we can read and access it but are still working to unravel the data file type for CU and NGE.

SWGEmu views modding the client as adding objects, code or functionality to the client in such a way as to change its purpose or give a player a distinct advantage over another. This means altering the files to remove content or send false information to the server. An example of a client mod is a speed hack. This includes:

Modifying Models that SOE has made
Fix bugs in the client
Increase resolution of the client
Allow atmospheric flight
Allow the client to work in 3 dimensions on the ground.
Changing or replacing the artwork or items already within the client with player customized artwork.

Developing the client is defined as researching the code to locate and utilize already existing objects, components and functionality in the existing data files to create new content. This means learning to read unknown data files types and accessing their content. For example, the Mustafar bunker is available in the data files as a CU file type. The Client Development Team researches how to unravel the code around it to make it accessible and usable by players in the future. This includes:

Add planets using unused maps and populated with unused models from the client.
Introduce unused player races contained in the client.

Custom content can be added without modifying any SOE created files. This content would have to be in the same format as the client’s data file code and be in separate data file so as not alter the original files. Some examples of what we can do:

Add new playable races
Add community create planets
Add community created sounds
Add community created models

The LaunchPadEnhanced is not the SOE client. It has become a bit confusing so we are going to change the skin in LPE version 2.0. To clarify, the LPE is simply a tool that has a few extra functionalities such as the skill calculator, IRC chat functions and the ability to correct some launch issues automatically. The LPE is highly recommended as it takes a great deal of the burden of setup troubleshooting off of staff. You can still run the SOE client directly from its resident folder.

It’s a Galactic War – more Jedi/BH changes

Changes to Jedi and Bounty Hunter abound.

Jedi: Two-handed light sabers now work.
BH: You can obtain working seeker droids from Spynet Operatives. Mastering is now possible.
Jedi: Group TEF now is in effect. Jedi are unable to enter buildings while TEF'ed.
BH: Master BH have the ability to expose a Jedi and set TEF on them without engaging the Jedi in battle.
Jedi: Force regen was lowered to be closer to what it should be.
Jedi: Saber block exploits and KD exploits have been patched.
Jedi: Added heal Battle Fatigue self skills
Jedi: Tweaked power again. Please report power bugs to Kellina
Jedi: Fixed Totalhealother/self.
Jedi: Fixed Two-Handed Lightsaber

AFK Macro Grinding

Many players have been asking for clarification to the rules about AFK Macro grinding. In a nutshell, a player must be ATK of all toons used in grinding at caves, high end spawns or mobs. Chaining combat toons (1 ATK with 1 or more set to follow with macros) is considered AFK camping. However, grinding one combat toon AFK on newbie spawns such as meatlumps is overlooked, if you are not too close to the city. Artisan sampling AFK and Entertainer AFK grinding is not considered punishable.

Note: If you leave your character AFK and vulnerable, you are still responsible for actions that happen to it. If your AFK combat grinding toon targets a TEFed individual and attacks, that individual can attack back.(excerpts and update to the SWGEmu Test Center Rules and Policies (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16670))

1.8. It is illegal/unauthorized to use outside programs to "automate" your character. Use your in-game macros only. Any account that is caught using outside programs is liable to disciplinary action.

3.11. You will not perform AFK camping of a spawn, NPC or cave. Camping is defined as repeatedly hunting a lair, spawn or NPC in succession. TC allows a single account and multiple connections, therefore using multiple toon instances to create a chain of characters to effect and "out damage" other players is considered AFK camping. There is only one toon actually operated by a single player and all successive toons are considered AFK camping. All toons in such instances are subject to disciplinary actions. Obviously, this camping rule does not restrict all multiple game instances. For example, it is acceptable for two game instances to be operated by one player where one instance is an AFK crafter sampling ground resources and the other is a combat character that is being played At The Keyboard.

Boxed! But not until Christmas.

The speed hack detection program has boxed many players like holiday gifts waiting to be unwrapped. Kyle and TheAnswer have done quite a bit of tweaking to the algorithms and this has resulted in many players being unwrapped from their box.

For those players still occasionally running into the RubberBand in a Box issue, a solution can be found here. (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35374) You must attempt a self-fix before you enter #swgemusupport. Do not send a tell to a GM out of the blue without first going through #swgemusupport.

Please be patient with this issue, this program is a work in progress. It should be an excellent tool to keep the game fair for everyone once it is perfected.

Blue Frog Sightings

The Blue Frogs made a brief escape from their enclosures and took off for the wilds of TC Nova. They have been dutifully hunted down and detained by the Galactic Security Force for distributing stolen goods. Anyone who obtained goods in the form of vehicle deeds is asked to turn those vehicles in to the nearest Galactic Representative (your closest GM). Anyone using such deeds is subject to detainment. Using vehicles on TC Nova is considered an exploit currently.

Travel Warnings

The Galactic Travel Agency has issued the following warnings and restrictions:

Restriction against spaceport travel to Kaadara. Land-based travel is the safest method of accessing this city. Taking the shuttle in leaves you stuck in the air sometimes.
Warnings against shuttle port travel to Deja Peak and Lake Retreat. Land-based travel is the safest method of accessing this city. Some players experience being stuck in the air, other players experience graphical glitches.
Warnings against general travel to Endor. Frequent instances of RubberBanding in a Box occur randomly across the face of Endor and higher instances in the DWB. Some players also experience crash to desktop with server restarts required to recover characters. Players who repeatedly ignore the warnings and require multiple recoveries will find themselves in the wilds of Lok.

Notice on TC Fixes

Until further notice, the only upcoming TC fixes will be dealing with the rubberbanding issues. All other fixes will be applied after the OR is released.

Staff Changes

Acau has reactivated as QA staff after a long absence due to RL. Welcome back!
Serpentkaa is temporarily stepping up to help Max with Public Relations. Max is taking a short hiatus for RL responsibilities. Please direct all PR correspondence to her email. Everyone shout out "Hurry back Max!"
Seaseme has reactivated as an Administrator and Developer after an absence due to RL. Welcome back Seaseme!
Webbwbb has chosen to step down as QA Manager due to RL responsibilities. He will continue on as a GM. Thank you for all your hard work in the QA department.
TAFirehawk will be stepping up as Head of QA Department. Congrats!

Quick Stats for 31 October 2009 to 15 November 2009

Developer Code Commits: 34

Average Web/Forum Daily Hits: 50,735
Total Web/Forum Hits: 735,672
Total Users who used the Website: 23,922
Current number of SWGEmu Accounts: 101,280

Average TC Daily Logins: 6,400
Total TC Logins: 210,270
Total Users who used the TC: 19,330

3) Developer Perspective ("Round Table")

Round Table:
I've finished with the building "stubs". We will be able to build on these stubs to give each type of building a specific function to simplify the logic in game. For example, instead of checking a player every time they enter a building to see if they're in a med center, the new building system will automatically know what type of building any player is in. The building itself can then handle certain actions. IE a med center building can have an event to automatically heal the wounds of every player inside of itself.

This will go a long way to simplifying code.

The first specific building I've started working on is the Tutorial building. This week TA and I have figured out all of the Tutorial specific packets. We now have the information we need to be able to track different things you do with the UI (such as opening the inventory or dragging an icon to the toolbar). We can also enable/disable certain UI elements with packets. Both of these things will allow us to implement a fully interactive tutorial.

I am currently planning an Event Director to allow us to script and trigger the events needed for this sort of interaction. This Event Director will not only be useful for the tutorial, but also it will allow us to make all of SWG more interactive and immersive.

It will take a while before the tutorial is complete. The tutorial tests almost all elements of the game, and these systems will all have to be converted to the OR codebase. Exciting things are happening.

Also, on a side note.... Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?

Hey all!

After an extended absence from the project I have returned! I'm very excited to be back, and very proud of all of the developers and staff who have continued to kick ASS all summer. Way to go!

My first order of business is to start working on Loot. Not programming, but scripting and actually getting each NPC to be dropping what they should be dropping. This is going to take some serious time and tweaking, but it has to be done. Look forward to seeing some updates on this in the weeks to come. Anyone who wants to help is welcome to! Send me a private message and we'll get crunching!

That's all from me! I hope everyone has a great two weeks until we talk again!

Round Table:

IRC Etiquette (Part 2)

Hi all, I just want to thank alot of you for trying just a little bit harder to try to get the info about server ups and downs, especially with a string of Deadlocks that happened, it defiently had mellowed out a bit these last couple weeks. However...

A rather ugly thing has been occuring recently, and it has to deal with racism in the chat. We have firm rules against it on our network, and it still comes up. Enough is enough guys and gals. It stopped being funny back in the 60's. And now its just plain ignorant. And especially those of you who have been around for a while, you know better, and I'm tired of slapping your wrist.

4) Events

Howdy everyone!

We've had lots going on since our last biweekly! The best place to begin is probably our Way out Wednesdays. First of all, we had a wonderful social event in the Restuss theater, then another in the Mos Espa Cantina. After everyone decided the initial trivia questions asked in Restuss were too easy, we had a championship level contest in Espa, with Keaxav as the winner. Congratulations again! Next, all our wonderful artisans<span></span> descended on Tyrena for our first TC:Nova Crafter's Fair, which was a smashing success! We're planning on making the crafting faire a monthly event, with November's now in the planning stages. Our next fair will be held on the gorgeous Vreni Island beaches on Corellia - so keep your eyes open for the announcement.

Last week for Way out Wednesday, the Darklighter Estate was the scene for a massive, single-elimination PvP event. Approximately 40 players buffed up in Anchorhead, then travelled to the Estate to test their mettle. The fighting was fast and furious in the first 5 minutes. Almost half the field was eliminated. The remaining half rose above the carnage and stepped over the bodies of their fallen comrades to battle it out toe-to-toe. At the end it was a bitter duel that raged between four contestants to become reigning Galactic Battle Champion. Congrats to the winner!

* Reigning Galactic Battle Champ: Arbaxas
* Second Place: Jondo
* Third Place: Reken
* Honorable Mention: Mahonra

Thank you to Kreeoth and Morah for donating the winner’s prizes. After the fighting, the combatants returned to Anchorhead to continue the party for a while longer. Nothing better than a little bootyshaking to end a good fight!

Finally, we held our very first RP-based event in Mos Entha, Tatooine. We had a wonderful turnout, and many alliances were formed. Keep your eyes peeled for the next RP Announcement as well!

Thank you all so much for your continued support and attendance at our events :) We have some really fun stuff coming up in the next few weeks, and we can't wait to see you all ingame!

5) Closing

In commemoration...

fHSz2Yt0cS4

Remember, Remember. The 15th of November.

Audune
11-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Much luv Serp

ShadowViper
11-15-2009, 11:04 PM
I still remember the 15th of November 06 like it was yesterday. Here we are 3 years later..... well done! Grats gangs.... a dream, is now a reality.

Hey Smed, is that bet still going?

Seaseme
11-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Great update everyone :).

blazinyou
11-15-2009, 11:11 PM
cool. ty for the bi weekly

zabrakwith
11-15-2009, 11:27 PM
I remember when you guys first put out that video. You have no idea how great that video made me feel...it DID give me hope. Now all of that hope has turned into excitement and gratification, as all of the dev team's hard work these past few years is coming together wonderfully. No other game has ever been part of my life like this one...so in a word...thanks.

nee2earth
11-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Great work EMU Team.

I would love to see the look on Smedley's smug face after he sees how far this umm "hobby" has come in 3 years and beyond.

And I would especially relish just one chance, one moment, to lock that poodoo-punk Julio Torres in front of a computer once Suncrusher goes up, so he can remember what the TRUE SWG really is.

/luck EMU team and /support EMU project

Imperial13
11-16-2009, 01:00 AM
I still remember the 15th of November 06 like it was yesterday. Here we are 3 years later..... well done! Grats gangs.... a dream, is now a reality.

4 years actually. Hard to believe.

Jusazn
11-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Hahaha Would be amazing to rub this in their faces.

Psh, "A hobby for really smart people." Yes. Smart People indeed.

Thanks a lot for the few years guys! XD

polonel
11-16-2009, 01:40 AM
Its was Nov. of 2005 actually.. and yes i can not wait to really relive the does of March of 2005... Those were the days of our lives...... You guys really do bring hope to all of us.. KEEP IT UP

Glandor
11-16-2009, 01:51 AM
Rebels Imperials, Swordsmen and pistoleers, Smugglers and Pirates, Bounty hunters and what is left of the Jedi order.

Our spirit was broken, our hope was gone. But now thanks to these developers we are free to walk our beloved worlds once again! We are free to become who we wish to be and make our mark on a galaxy of thousands just like us.

Rise up, and bring the force back into balance.

...And then have a margarita.

PS. They were right about one thing. The Developers are VERY smart. And they are our best friends.

waa
11-16-2009, 02:29 AM
/kneel

jermat
11-16-2009, 02:46 AM
awesome so defender 0044 and bh mission payouts arepushed 1 rung close to the tip to be fixed

HHH
11-16-2009, 02:58 AM
Amazing! Thanks for the update! :D

arween
11-16-2009, 04:45 AM
I remember when you guys first put out that video too. I didn't trust my eyes what I saw on the screen.
And now its almost done and you have brought back the best mmo time I had in my live.

Thanks so much for your incredible work

May the force be with you - ever!

/deepbow

Sevv
11-16-2009, 05:59 AM

lol i have thought about that bet lots of times!

way to go swgemu team! keep up the great work!

<3 serpentkaa thx for keeping us all updated!

ad27499
11-16-2009, 06:29 AM
thanks for the biweekly guys...

Keep up the fantastic work.

monkeyshorts
11-16-2009, 07:15 AM
I would like to offer a big heart-felt hug to all who both develop and participate in this universe. Without all of you, the experience we call SWG would be nothing more than a memory.

mikefournier
11-16-2009, 07:43 AM
You guys can not possible hear this enough. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for your time, effort, patience, brilliance, hope and vision. This project is so important to so many people. I just learned of this a few months ago, so I can clearly remember the skip my heart made. Thank you.

Vlada
11-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Keep up the good work. ;)

Jusazn
11-16-2009, 08:15 AM
=D. Woo... XD I can't believe its been this long.

Nivek_Hc'Narb
11-16-2009, 09:04 AM
/deep bow

Lawlaudiochallenge
11-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Yeah I got no old experience with Pre-CU SWG really this is sort of my first time playing it. I can't effectively comment on what SOE did or didn't do because I'm really outside of the fence as far as people who were effected by their actions go.

What I can say is this: What you guys have done here is pretty amazing.

Valmin
11-16-2009, 09:10 AM
good update

fixit6
11-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Awsome job as usual.

Blue Frog Sightings

This little tibit is interesting, was everything that was offered right before the last wipe on it? ie. did people not only get speeders but also 80% res all except stun-LS comp/padded armors?

Probably to hard to catch the guys with speeders since they will most likely never use them around people. :o

Lobreeze
11-16-2009, 11:09 AM
There was a group of like 20 people talking about seeing someone on a speeder standing outside of Cnet Starport one day.

zetlaux
11-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Great update. Some very good information about client development.

Kayliaah
11-16-2009, 11:39 AM
* Modifying Models that SOE has made
* Increase resolution of the client
* Allow atmospheric flight
* Allow the client to work in 3 dimensions on the ground.
* Changing or replacing the artwork or items already within the client with player customized artwork.

Wth.

We can't modify models ourselves right now. :|

I thought opening options.cfg with notepad and changing screenWidth=X and screenHeight=X did the trick?

Atmospheric flight O_o, there used to be a mod available that did this I think, saw on youtube.
Although I wonder how it could give the player any advantage, being able to see above the cantina? Meh.

3D client really? It must be fun.

I don't think I get the last one. O_o

3.11. You will not perform AFK camping of a spawn, NPC or cave. Camping is defined as repeatedly hunting a lair, spawn or NPC in succession. TC allows a single account and multiple connections, therefore using multiple toon instances to create a chain of characters to effect and "out damage" other players is considered AFK camping. There is only one toon actually operated by a single player and all successive toons are considered AFK camping. All toons in such instances are subject to disciplinary actions. Obviously, this camping rule does not restrict all multiple game instances. For example, it is acceptable for two game instances to be operated by one player where one instance is an AFK crafter sampling ground resources and the other is a combat character that is being played At The Keyboard.

Yay... after three posts I'm glad someone actually saw it.
I was begining to think that nobody cared.

The LaunchPadEnhanced is not the SOE client. It has become a bit confusing so we are going to change the skin in LPE version 2.0. To clarify, the LPE is simply a tool that has a few extra functionalities such as the skill calculator, IRC chat functions and the ability to correct some launch issues automatically. The LPE is highly recommended as it takes a great deal of the burden of setup troubleshooting off of staff. You can still run the SOE client directly from its resident folder.

Whaaat?

People are so dumb that the skin needs to be changed so there is no confusion between both launchers? Stupid stupid stupid people.

This is lame, the launcher was the first thing that reminded me of SWG, what a waste.

Will the Classic and JTL skins be removed? I hope not.

Blue Frog Sightings

The Blue Frogs made a brief escape from their enclosures and took off for the wilds of TC Nova. They have been dutifully hunted down and detained by the Galactic Security Force for distributing stolen goods. Anyone who obtained goods in the form of vehicle deeds is asked to turn those vehicles in to the nearest Galactic Representative (your closest GM). Anyone using such deeds is subject to detainment. Using vehicles on TC Nova is considered an exploit currently.

/extremedoublefacepalm

At least you guys can turn that into some sort of funny event lol. <_<

GM's will have a good time playing spies and looking into all 600-800 inventories to track down these people, good luck.

Lol in any case, nice update and good job Serp.

Yes I remember the 15th of November, besides SWG, what a ****ty day!

learningdisease
11-16-2009, 11:58 AM
I love Bi-Weeklies and I love this Project :D

Yay... after three posts I'm glad someone actually saw it.
I was begining to think that nobody cared.

Heh, it bothered me too, I jumped at the chance to get that error corrected in this update.

Wth.

We can't modify models ourselves right now.

I thought opening options.cfg with notepad and changing screenWidth=X and screenHeight=X did the trick?

Atmospheric flight O_o, there used to be a mod available that did this I think, saw on youtube.
Although I wonder how it could give the player any advantage, being able to see above the cantina? Meh.

3D client really? It must be fun.

I don't think I get the last one. O_o

What was being clarified was that SWGEmu will not host or officially take part in distributing a client or client files that match any of those examples, not that its not possible to. :)

SWGEmu does not endorse client modifications nor allow client modifications to be distributed on any SWGEmu networks.

Thanks to everyone for the hard work and dedication :D

Kayliaah
11-16-2009, 12:04 PM
I love Bi-Weeklies and I love this Project :D

Heh, it bothered me too, I jumped at the chance to get that error corrected in this update.

What was being clarified was that SWGEmu will not host or officially take part in distributing a client or client files that match any of those examples, not that its not possible to. :)

Thanks to everyone for the hard work and dedication :D

Yeah it's clear!

I don't know it just looked like it was some sort of new rule, stating that modding was forbidden, everything has been really confusing in the past weeks.

Oh well, it's only SWGEmu, so that doesn't change anything. :D
A special SWGEmu modding forum could've been great at release, oh well it's too bad. :/

Thanks. O_-

Uli
11-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Clarifying Client Development versus Client Modification

First, all objects and some functions/commands are based on the code in your client. The client is an executable file that accesses data files. What you see in game, such as the appearance of a bolma, exists in your client’s data files on your computer there at home.

Yup

SOE used a different data file type in Pre-CU than it did for data files that contain CU and NGE information. We have unraveled the Pre-CU data file type so that we can read and access it but are still working to unravel the data file type for CU and NGE.

Need more explanation on this.
It's confusing what you are trying to point out. If its about the compression (aka the .tre file) was changed in CU/NGE then its because they ripped out the TOC file and kept it separate to increase loading speeds (So not trying to unravel it)

But just want to confirm what you mean by Data File Type because it could mean a lot or a little.

SWGEmu views modding the client as adding objects, code or functionality to the client in such a way as to change its purpose or give a player a distinct advantage over another.

There is almost no modding which causes this (At least I have seen no one with it). Most mods used are only visual to the user and I suppose the only one who has such mods is me which allows different appearances but it does not give any advantage only a new unique look.

This means altering the files to remove content or send false information to the server. An example of a client mod is a speed hack. This includes:

Modifying Models that SOE has made 1.
Fix bugs in the client 2.
Increase resolution of the client 3.
Allow atmospheric flight 4.
Allow the client to work in 3 dimensions on the ground. 5.
Changing or replacing the artwork or items already within the client with player customized artwork. 6.

Separated these out due to the wording of the section above, I'm picky on words that are used.

Reading it your basically saying the list above is "hacks" or illegal modifying of the client.

Listing it as 1. 2. etc.

1. Modifying models can have no affect what so ever in game, modifying something such as collision can.

2. Fixing bugs in the client. Yeah ok, erm good luck to whoever achieves this.

3. Eh? SWGEmuSupport.exe does that, what is list actually trying to say.

4. Possible, Laggy Yes, Need Client Modification? NO! If anyone wants to argue about it then I will happily (I seen it done lets just say that)

5. Ok thats not possible. (Guy's do not bother mentioning about /jump)

6. Nothing wrong with that.

Again I'm a bit confused what the list is for, initially reading it, its a list of "bad" things which we are not allowed to do but some of it is good/fine/harmless. Yeah would like it expanded.

Developing the client is defined as researching the code to locate and utilize already existing objects, components and functionality in the existing data files to create new content. This means learning to read unknown data files types and accessing their content. For example, the Mustafar bunker is available in the data files as a CU file type. The Client Development Team researches how to unravel the code around it to make it accessible and usable by players in the future. This includes:

Add planets using unused maps and populated with unused models from the client.
Introduce unused player races contained in the client.

Ok, I'm going to be mean.

DavinFelth - Yeah he knows his stuff, he knows how to alter a terrain and a lot of other file types in the game. Does documentation and everything.

Me (When I was on the team) - Did break down file types however I did not document it (A few I did however lost them in a wipe) but I'm very good at doing something then being able to repeat it.

Valkyra - No Documentation, Is Waiting for the tool to be finished to be able to do Chandrila (Yeah its hard to make a terrain I admit that but still) but she has been doing work in coding (So shouldn't she be moved out of client developer team, which leaves 1 poor soul left)

Pre-CU <--> CU <--> NGE

Not too big changes, easy to work out.
Some are impossible to convert (Due to how the client handles it)
But I would say 85% is easy to convert and does not need any documentation (Documentation is to re-create files when needed for things which are not importable aka my pod racers)

Species: These are not "unused" there NPC species (Normally have less customization options depending on how they were made).

Unused Models: Yeah good luck finding these, there are probably less then 10 I would of thought. (There are files for models they were going to add but there not files which will be of any use)

Unused Terrain: A lot of them testing different things.

Custom content can be added without modifying any SOE created files. This content would have to be in the same format as the client’s data file code and be in separate data file so as not alter the original files. Some examples of what we can do:

Add new playable races
Add community create planets
Add community created sounds
Add community created models

Content does not have to be in the same format as the client data file code I can guarantee that right now however if you want to add it in with a different data format you got to make sure you tweak the right headers in the file as well as making sure the general data is correct.

I think thats about it.

learningdisease
11-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Again I'm a bit confused what the list is for, initially reading it, its a list of "bad" things which we are not allowed to do but some of it is good/fine/harmless. Yeah would like it expanded.

Its a statement about what the Client Development team will and will not be able to do with the restrictions from the SOE EULA. Its only about those who will be on the SWGEmu Staff actively working on "new" content, so its not that 'you'(as in, various community members) aren't allowed to make those modifications, its that SWGEmu cannot, for various reasons, endorse or distribute those types of file changes.

I know you have the skills and expertise to do a LOT of different things with the client, however its that some of the methods and changes made may violate some clauses in the EULA, and thus cannot be officially supported by our Team.

I hope I can clear up some confusion on this topic, as it ONLY pertains to our specific Client Development Team.

Tiana
11-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I <3 this team.

So awesome. Well done so far.

Also, I still love that video ultyma made.

tranewreck
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
/cheer!

nazoreen
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
About content, so you could add planets, models, species which are not in the SOE client yet.
Will you provide tool to add this content easily ?
What is about quest ? will you provide a tool could be used by members to create custom quests ?

Uli
11-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Its a statement about what the Client Development team will and will not be able to do with the restrictions from the SOE EULA. Its only about those who will be on the SWGEmu Staff actively working on "new" content, so its not that 'you'(as in, various community members) aren't allowed to make those modifications, its that SWGEmu cannot, for various reasons, endorse or distribute those types of file changes.

I know you have the skills and expertise to do a LOT of different things with the client, however its that some of the methods and changes made may violate some clauses in the EULA, and thus cannot be officially supported by our Team.

I hope I can clear up some confusion on this topic, as it ONLY pertains to our specific Client Development Team.

Edit: Non of my methods and changes violated the EULA.
Okay then lets get this sorted then:

* Modifying Models that SOE has made
* Fix bugs in the client
* Increase resolution of the client
* Allow atmospheric flight
* Allow the client to work in 3 dimensions on the ground.
* Changing or replacing the artwork or items already within the client with player customized artwork.

1. Fine (By that mean no need to)
2. Impossible Anyway
3. That can not break the EULA (Note: By Resolution I'm guessing screen size)
4. Does not need client modification at all, so that should not be on the list (I do not want to "name drop")
5. Impossible Anyway
6. Adding new textures should be fine if you redirect the shaders i suppose.

So why are
3. 4. and 6. on the list.
(I would not mind having an exact number/Paragraph to the SOE EULA)

nazoreen
11-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Sorry for my limited english, but I didn't understand about the rules...

To resume, I have 1 account (forum/swgemu) and 2 characters.
Could I play with those 2 characters at the same time ?

And about AFK, ATK rules... well, it could be fine to clarify this with little sentences (may be with example) and think about people who don't speak english very good.

Serpentkaa
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry for my limited english, but I didn't understand about the rules...

To resume, I have 1 account (forum/swgemu) and 2 characters.
Could I play with those 2 characters at the same time ?

And about AFK, ATK rules... well, it could be fine to clarify this with little sentences (may be with example) and think about people who don't speak english very good.

You have one account here on the forums "Nazoreen" - you are good to go.
You have multiple in-game characters associated with the account "Nazoreen". You can have as many as you wish.
You can only play two of those characters at the same time. Two clients connected to TC Nova at one time.

Approved AFK: Artisan sampling or an Entertainer dancing.
Frowned on but Accepted AFK: One combat character AFK killing newbie mobs around a city. Do not chose to AFK grind on mobs that in the city or too close to the city.
Forbidden AFK: One Character grinding combat XP and another character assisting or helping/following along on macro that helps to increase total damage done. This includes a TKM with an AFK pisotleer following along.
Forbidden AFK: Any character combat AFK or AFK support in a cave, major building or named spawn such as the DWB. An example is an ATK TKM with a AFK doctor following along on macro at the Krayt Dragon Graveyard. Another example is AFK combat by a single character at Nyax. Another example, that some remember from live, is AFK spam looting locked containers in some of the higher end caves for skill tapes.

frankensteined
11-16-2009, 01:44 PM
What do you define as "too close to the city?" Considering that most newbie spawns are 100m or less from the city, the statement about AFK combat grinding "too close to the city" with relation to newbie spawns like Meatlumps seems empty.

Serpentkaa
11-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Okay then lets get this sorted then:

1. Fine (By that mean no need to)
2. Impossible Anyway
3. That can not break the EULA (Note: By Resolution I'm guessing screen size)
4. Does not need client modification at all, so that should not be on the list (I do not want to "name drop")
5. Impossible Anyway
6. Adding new textures should be fine if you redirect the shaders i suppose.

So why are
3. 4. and 6. on the list.
(I would not mind having an exact number/Paragraph to the SOE EULA)

Uli,

This is the SWGEmu general definition worded in laymens terms of how our team will handle client modifications and what they wish to responsible for. We might in the future choose to review modifications and developments on a case by case basis to determine if they are allowed on the nextwork at some future time. At this point in time, we have taken a conservative stance and made these decisions to protect this community and game.

This seems to be turning into some sort of discussion about what we can or can't do, what is possible or impossible, should we or shouldn't we. I am not understanding your point in this conversation.

Again, this was a general statement written so most of our community can relate without speaking code-ese, digging through legal issues and whatnot. This statement was not meant to be a technical discussion of why or why not this policy fits the EULA. While I respect your considerable skill and the points you are bringing up, I think you are starting to create confusion again about what is allowed and what is not.

Please clarify what you are wanting out of this discussion.

Uli
11-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Uli,

This is the SWGEmu general definition worded in laymens terms of how our team will handle client modifications and what they wish to responsible for. We might in the future choose to review modifications and developments on a case by case basis to determine if they are allowed on the nextwork at some future time. At this point in time, we have taken a conservative stance and made these decisions to protect this community and game.

This seems to be turning into some sort of discussion about what we can or can't do, what is possible or impossible, should we or shouldn't we. I am not understanding your point in this conversation.

Again, this was a general statement written so most of our community can relate without speaking code-ese, digging through legal issues and whatnot. This statement was not meant to be a technical discussion of why or why not this policy fits the EULA. While I respect your considerable skill and the points you are bringing up, I think you are starting to create confusion again about what is allowed and what is not.

Please clarify what you are wanting out of this discussion.

At first i was confused about the list.

LD Stated the list was made from using the SOE EULA saying What is not possible/Allowed for them to do.

I was just asking why those points (3. 4. and 6.) were against the EULA

Edit: The Impossible Stuff was outlining what was Impossible so there is no point in adding that rule (If you understand what I mean)

Serpentkaa
11-16-2009, 04:08 PM
What do you define as "too close to the city?" Considering that most newbie spawns are 100m or less from the city, the statement about AFK combat grinding "too close to the city" with relation to newbie spawns like Meatlumps seems empty.

I personally define too close AFK to a city as being in the city proper or near a main egress or exit near a starport. Examples are:
1. AFK grinding on the faction NPCs that are located inside the city such as Bestine where you use to see imperial NPCs next to the starport. Killing them is fine, grinding them is fine as long as you are ATK.
2. Standing next to that main egress point out of the city near Coronet Starport AFK grinding meatlumps. Sometimes the spawns are practically on top of the pavement and AFKers position themselves almost between the two posts near the starport. This is more about prevention than to be mean. Jedi sometimes load in and must sprint to escape Boba. They will sometimes have to sprint in that direction to make for the open land. If you are too close to that area you might target them. If you hit them, they can and sometimes will hit back. This leads to QQing in #swgemusupport. Suggestion is, if you AFK grind, do not do it near doorways or main thoroughfares. Make sure there is plenty, plenty of space around your character.
3. Exception would be the triangular stretch of land with trees in Theed. It is found between the hotel (across from the starport) and the river. This is deliberately set aside as a newbie spawn area for Naboo.

Other GMs will have either more strict or more lenient interpretations. However, that is a good general guideline.

At first i was confused about the list.

LD Stated the list was made from using the SOE EULA saying What is not possible/Allowed for them to do.

I was just asking why those points (3. 4. and 6.) were against the EULA

Edit: The Impossible Stuff was outlining what was Impossible so there is no point in adding that rule (If you understand what I mean)

Ahh. Understand now. Well, let's just say that the staff would rather be conservative and not take the chance of the community losing the Emu due to a Cease and Desist order. Maybe, one day, possibly, perhaps (let me put my Torres hat on to get the right level of slipperiness in that statement) it might be revised. No commitment is given on that ever happening. Do not bother to inquire. As it stands now, this is what we will allow on our networks.

Also, that list is there not because an item on there is possible or impossible. It is because someone who does not know anything about client modification, coding, or adding content has asked about something similar to be added. This wasn't written for uber developers, it was written for average-joe, non-coder out there to understand. :)

frankensteined
11-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Thank you very much for the reply, Kaa. I appreciate all your hard work, as well as the rest of the GM's, helpers, and DEV's.

Odyssey Starchaser
11-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Awsome job DEV's.... 4 years has it been that long(looks up at his join date.)
Wow it has.."whats that on my cheek?" Tears of joy....

Lexx2k
11-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Remember, remember the 15th november, a gunpowder, treason and blood...

bladez
11-16-2009, 05:42 PM
You guys are doing a really great job here :) and i really cant wait to play the finished product ;D

Good luck! and well done :)

Dark'Soul
11-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Keep up the good work :D

Ovale
11-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Great update! Thanks.

amphitryon
11-16-2009, 07:58 PM
The Emu team is seeking to avoid legal entanglements with SOE when it comes to client modifications because unlike the server, the client executable *IS* SOE code, as such is SOE intellectual property and the client's EULA is still applicable.The client simply does not belong to the SWGEmu team and the team holds no license to use the Star Wars IP. legally that is why the focus is on using what is already there, and NOT on adding brand-new things.

HOWEVER, the team is free to use whatever materials are already there, but in new ways. The good news is there is a LOT of stuff already in there to work with, and near infinite numbers of new content combination possible.

As such the team's conservative approach in regards of what is supported on the client is appropriate. Besides, there are 6 years worth of artwork, models, meshes, layouts. objects,sounds, etc. already on the client, so making use of what we already have in new ways makes a LOT more sense.

The $64,000 question imho is going to be figuring out a way to access all those post-CU assets,make them usable for development w/o having to take over responsibility for distribution of the files, and avoiding doing too much client side 'modding'

Here is the situation, as you know updates to the game come via the patcher in the form of TRE files that contain all the assets added/modified for that Publish. However, all the post-CU assets/objects are already on the client, contained within the SOE published TRE files. So, a way has to be divined that allows access to the objects contained within those TRE files to build a new TRE file (like a new Publish 15.0).

I am guessing the only way to do this is to create some kind of client-side app/script that gets pushed to the client via LPE to basically 'parse' the SOE published TRE files for the needed objects/assets, then build a new TRE file on the client that contains them. That way, the Emu team is not put int he precarious legal position of distributing SOE copyrighted material.

What I am suggesting is basically a 'shell' of the TRE Explorer app that can be scripted, basically feed it a manifest of what objects are needed from the SOE Publish 15.0 TREs and beyond. The user could provide a path to their NGE installation as the 'source' location and their SWGEmu dir as the destination where the new TRE file will be constructed.

Then original, team generated objects, like schematics and quests could then be patched into that new TRE file.

Obviously TRE Explorer works, so its quite possible to read the TREs, and extract objects from them, and its possible to write to them as well, so creation of new TREs should be within reach.

Valkyra
11-16-2009, 08:04 PM
The Emu team is seeking to avoid legal entanglements with SOE when it comes to client modifications because unlike the server, the client executable *IS* SOE code, as such is SOE intellectual property and the client's EULA is still applicable.The client simply does not belong to the SWGEmu team and the team holds no license to use the Star Wars IP. legally that is why the focus is on using what is already there, and NOT on adding brand-new things.

HOWEVER, the team is free to use whatever materials are already there, but in new ways. The good news is there is a LOT of stuff already in there to work with, and near infinite numbers of new content combination possible.

As such the team's conservative approach in regards of what is supported on the client is appropriate. Besides, there are 6 years worth of artwork, models, meshes, layouts. objects,sounds, etc. already on the client, so making use of what we already have in new ways makes a LOT more sense.

The $64,000 question imho is going to be figuring out a way to access all those post-CU assets,make them usable for development w/o having to take over responsibility for distribution of the files, and avoiding doing too much client side 'modding'

Here is the situation, as you know updates to the game come via the patcher in the form of TRE files that contain all the assets added/modified for that Publish. However, all the post-CU assets/objects are already on the client, contained within the SOE published TRE files. So, a way has to be divined that allows access to the objects contained within those TRE files to build a new TRE file (like a new Publish 15.0).

I am guessing the only way to do this is to create some kind of client-side app/script that gets pushed to the client via LPE to basically 'parse' the SOE published TRE files for the needed objects/assets, then build a new TRE file on the client that contains them. That way, the Emu team is not put int he precarious legal position of distributing SOE copyrighted material.

What I am suggesting is basically a 'shell' of the TRE Explorer app that can be scripted, basically feed it a manifest of what objects are needed from the SOE Publish 15.0 TREs and beyond. The user could provide a path to their NGE installation as the 'source' location and their SWGEmu dir as the destination where the new TRE file will be constructed.

Then original, team generated objects, like schematics and quests could then be patched into that new TRE file.

Obviously TRE Explorer works, so its quite possible to read the TREs, and extract objects from them, and its possible to write to them as well, so creation of new TREs should be within reach.

We can already create new .tre files... Also by your second paragraph it doesn't seem like you read the Client Development vs. Client Modifications section in its entirety.

Anyway, this is a great update!

JohnStrope
11-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Hurrah!

nazoreen
11-16-2009, 08:30 PM
@Valkyra : I didn't understand very well, does the team make Client Development or Client Modifications ?

deltarevan
11-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Great job guys! :lightsaber:

Tiana
11-16-2009, 10:58 PM
@Valkyra : I didn't understand very well, does the team make Client Development or Client Modifications ?

The team develops the client.

They do not modify it from their own definition.

nazoreen
11-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Thx Tiana

Klanagh
11-17-2009, 06:16 AM
I haven't posted in a long time. This bi-weekly, however, really got my attention.

Look at those numbers for the past two weeks for Nova. Unbelieveable. This is an Alpha server they're talking about! Being run by unpaid developers! That is friggin' awsome. Averaging 6400 log-ins a day.

Coming from a day three Vet, please accept this shout out Devs: You guys are doing a fantastic job. Thanks to all of you. I can't wait for OR to hit for us to test and help hammer out the bugs.

Kyrm347
11-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Thank you Devs for clarifying about the client side questions.

old.Zi
11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Beta 3 veteran; "WELL DONE!!":emperor:

Raxxus
11-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Amazing! Great job. /clap /clap

Kateb Ibliss
11-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Nice update guys!

TankGun
11-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Nice work again, good update as always keep it up mates we are all routing for the Emu :D

GenralO
11-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Nice update guys!

Indeed.Good job.

Raghy
11-19-2009, 03:17 PM
on the afk rules, i want to get something cleared up, if you are on 2 characters, but one is afk, and in your camp, thats close by, like let's say a medic, or entertainer, for healing, is it allowed?

i mean, not heal during combat, but like if your questing, and instead of having to go back to a nearby city to heal, can you use your alt for healing in your own camp?

Serpentkaa
11-19-2009, 03:38 PM
on the afk rules, i want to get something cleared up, if you are on 2 characters, but one is afk, and in your camp, thats close by, like let's say a medic, or entertainer, for healing, is it allowed?

i mean, not heal during combat, but like if your questing, and instead of having to go back to a nearby city to heal, can you use your alt for healing in your own camp?

Perfectly acceptable.

StormZ
11-19-2009, 06:04 PM

Has it been that long? I could of swore it was last year or something...

its amazing how much the emu has progressed since then.

LONG LIVE SWGEMU

Raghy
11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Perfectly acceptable.

afk sampling and grinding entertainer xp afk is also allowed, right? or did i get it wrong? (i know its frowned upon, but i have seen many afk ents in the cantinas, but i still thought it might be good to0 check)

Serpentkaa
11-20-2009, 08:51 AM
afk sampling and grinding entertainer xp afk is also allowed, right? or did i get it wrong? (i know its frowned upon, but i have seen many afk ents in the cantinas, but i still thought it might be good to0 check)

AFK entertainer grinding - perfectly acceptable
AFK artisan sampling - perfectly acceptable

sixdeath
11-20-2009, 11:51 AM
ya i still cant believe we have really gotten this far! its amazing what people can do when they work together!

much love,

skyler!

Valoram
11-20-2009, 09:41 PM
awesome work devs!!!! can't wait for the OR to be done....and then on to version 1.0!!!!

Raghy
11-21-2009, 01:51 AM
AFK entertainer grinding - perfectly acceptable
AFK artisan sampling - perfectly acceptable

alright, so, if i got 2 chars, can i grind both at the same time, like 1 sampling resources and semi-afk (still on the computer, but maybe minimizing to do something else, while afk-grinding entertainer on the other?)

or one char grinding xp doing quests, while sampling resources on the other, and being semi-afk? just want to make sure im not doing anything wrong, heh

Serpentkaa
11-23-2009, 11:55 AM
alright, so, if i got 2 chars, can i grind both at the same time, like 1 sampling resources and semi-afk (still on the computer, but maybe minimizing to do something else, while afk-grinding entertainer on the other?)

or one char grinding xp doing quests, while sampling resources on the other, and being semi-afk? just want to make sure im not doing anything wrong, heh

Neither of those scenarios are against the rules. However, due to the cap, there is a request to not AFK grind both your toons at the same time. This is just a consideration for others who want to play. It is preventing others who want to actively play and test from playing on the server.

MikeCool
11-23-2009, 01:58 PM
5 years later and yet this project still goes on one Bi-Weekly Update at a time. Good job.

4 years ago of 11/15/05 is what i always remember.

Ledvan
11-29-2009, 10:36 AM
yeah nice update liking the video also

o0Syn
12-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Awesome guys keep up the work :D

I plaid this game for SOE in its second round of Beta testers so I've been with this game forever and feel so attached to the way it was when it first came around it will be great to one day play like that again:lightsaber:

belgerath
12-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Shouldn't there be a new update by now?

Vlada
12-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Shouldn't there be a new update by now?

What kind of update, Bi-Weekly?

Jahsg
12-10-2009, 10:14 PM
This is my first post here .. but anyhow can you tell me if this up dates can be installed directly onto a fresh install of swg or do i need to install all of the other updates?

ad27499
12-11-2009, 04:35 AM
This is my first post here .. but anyhow can you tell me if this up dates can be installed directly onto a fresh install of swg or do i need to install all of the other updates?

Just run the LPE, this will patch everything and get you ready for entering the TC.

http://www.launchpadenhanced.com/