PDA

View Full Version : Object Restructures, and a Deadlock?

Ekaika
02-28-2010, 01:23 AM
This is a long informational read, be sure to check out the links on topics you're unfamiliar with!

As you know, our Test Center will "crash" operation from time to time, lately more often than not. Why, you ask?

If you've been keeping up on current affairs, you know that the focus of development shifted some time ago from content "branches" to the fundamental codebase. (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44464)

Throughout the past few years this project has seen many Developers come and go, each with their own unique contributions to the code. However, the sheer number of contributions placed a severe burden on a few Core Devs that assumed the responsibility of Integrating all this new code into the "Tree" successfully. This is not without challenges. Things such as deadlocks, crashes, memory-leaks, etc are a constant threat.

When these issues arise, a condition known as a "Deadlock" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock) can occur. In our case, a Deadlock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock) means that several aspects of the code are awaiting one another to complete, causing the server to grind to a halt. Please take some time to understand what a Deadlock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock) is.

At a certain point, the decision was made (and wisely) to take stock of what had been accomplished, reviewing current code and ensuring that the "Tree" was sufficiently workable. It was determined that modifications were necessary, not only to clean up the current code, but to ensure that future contributions would be EASILY adapted to the complete Tree, without reconfiguration and coding of the entire codebase each addition.

As a result, the OR was born. SWGEmu has been many months into this, and significant progress has been made. However this post isn't to note progress, it's intention is to inform about the OR and what a "Deadlock" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock) actually is. The community needs a place to be able to point new members to, so they can become informed. Hopefully this post is a start. I encourage all who read this to FURTHER review the Announcements (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3), Community News (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108) posts, and the Bi-Weekly Updates (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107). All available information is represented there.

At this point the emphasis on the current revision was marginalized in light of the need to lean out what was going to be the workable code moving forward. However, you guys are playing, and a few of our guys have made valiant attempts (read: TA, Kyle etc etc, Kellina, Learning, all QA) to make what's here, work. As a result you've seen a lot of jedi work. Please understand that this is not a permafix, nor is it intended to be the end all of Jedi/SWGemu. Things will change, and this is only temporary.

HOWEVER! Please do not assume that Jedi is the Emu's focus, it is not. This was done for you folks, as a gift, while the slow process of the OR is worked through.

Please be patient while our 100% volunteer staff continues to chip away at the OR. As you can see, we're still here. This is simply not a time for momentous leaps and bounds. However that time will come, and we'll need to you help us test the new code and prepare for the final push.

Thank you, as always, for your ongoing support of Pre-Cu and SWGEmu!

* Please remember, you can check server status in the Java client at SWGEmu IRC (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/irc.php) or your favorite IRC client. Please see #test and #status for the latest status updates.

** You can also find current status reporting (excluding the deadlock condition) at www.swgemu.org

SWGEmu

Feidry
02-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Please be patient while our 100% volunteer staff continues to chip away at the OR. As you can see, we're still here. This is simply not a time for momentous leaps and bounds. However that time will come, and we'll need to you help us test the new code and prepare for the final push.

My favorite part. Well said, eka. Thanks for this.

Vlada
02-28-2010, 05:05 AM
I think i can find a place for this in my signature.

Thanks Eka, good stuff. ;)

Ashur
02-28-2010, 10:20 AM
good info, and thanks for posting this :)

EVILJUDE
02-28-2010, 10:45 AM
should hopefully set a lot of people straight as to the current status of what is going on out there and why things happen. very well done.

Monoxide
02-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Good to hear :bothan:

Franknol
02-28-2010, 02:10 PM
As a result you've seen a lot of jedi work. Please understand that this is not a perma0fix, nor is it intended to be the end all of Jedi/SWGenu. Things will change, and this is only temporary.

What is SWGEnu?

Destruction
02-28-2010, 03:27 PM
it's clearly the next project SWG: ENU (European Network of the Unemployed)

It is good to see your still here and assembla says you are making good progress

ParadoxMachine
02-28-2010, 03:58 PM
This was extremely helpful to people like me who only check these forums every once in awhile. Thanks a lot :)

alex1tmac
02-28-2010, 04:21 PM

I don't think I'm the first to quote this, and I'm sure I won't be the last. Thank you for your contributions to help keep everyone informed.

Remember kids, knowledge is power.

NFKnight
02-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Thank you so much! This info filled in all the questions I had about deadlock. Every time the server ends up in deadlock it shows us how important the OR is. I appreciate all you do for the only SWG.

Ekaika
03-01-2010, 01:49 AM
I know a lot of this is repeat info for some of you, but we're still seeing a lot of misinformation and confusion in IRC and community emails/pm's. Hopefully restating this stuff helps in some way.

Typos fixed >_<

IX-
03-01-2010, 03:57 AM
It's still nice to see effort being maintained to appease the community/testers that they day will eventually come where their services will be once again needed at full-bore.

I doubt any of us can be grateful enough for this project and the time that people have put into it.
A pro bono publico project of this magnitude never fails to completely startle my usually cynical mindset.

Thank you, again.

Vou23
03-01-2010, 09:53 AM
That was well said.

/bow4

Shiriki
03-01-2010, 09:59 AM
A while ago (read: several month) I read a statement saying that the current codebase would be made obsolete by the OR so there would be no point in fixing bugs we find on the server and therefore also no point in reporting bugs. Is that still true? Or hast the OR progressed far enough that parts of it have been integrated and need to be tested?

So Long
Shiriki

Solus Bellator
03-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I love you guys, I really do. I'll admit as much as I loved the thought of ever playing Pre-CU again, I figured there was a snowballs chance in...that place... to ever get to see it again. I figured this idea would wither away, and so I dared not get my hopes up.

I really really hope sometimes in between the deadlocks/gripes/trolling/whinging that the staff has a chance to sit back and reflect on what it is you guys have done here. I think this project is the epitome of ignoring doomsayers/naysayers. You all should be proud and should pat yourselves on the backs. If you only do it sometimes you should do it more.

There is lots more to go of course, but I for one have been enjoying my last couple of months thanks to you all. You all have this one man's gratitude as well as my humble support. Thank you.

black-eye
03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm back to SWGEmu since 2 or 3 weeks. Pure curiosity dragged me here after so long time (first login somwhen 2007 I think) and I was completly stunned by the progress the game has experienced since then. Sure, theres bugs, lag, deadlocks and stuff, but hell, who cares, this is the game I wanted to play when I bought my copy in 2004. Trandoshan Creature Handler was my reason to begin playingso guess how keen I am to see the OR approaching.

However, I'm patient, as I know that's all volunteer and hard work. Greatest respect and thanks so much to the whole crew that brings back the best multiplayer game ever. You are just awesome! :)

Gutter
03-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I've been enjoying SWGEmu for a few months now off and on, and am also astonished at the progress. Haven't said 'thanks' to all the volunteers and everyone that plays a part in restoring the greatest game ever back to it's former glory.

So a big THANK YOU to Ekaika for keeping us informed, but aslo to all the volunteers, all the coders, all the error testers, all the web-site folks, all the IRC folks, EVERYONE that has played a part in getting it to where it is today, and working on the great, bright future that is ahead!

NO LONGER can Sony and the SWG dev's RIP A GAME OUT FROM UNDER US! All of you volunteers have seen to it, now the ORIGINAL SWG, the fun one with all the professions, with the great combat system, and all it's original quirks that made it THE MOST UNIQUE MMORPG OF THEM ALL - you all have made it possible for the PLAYERS to enjoy this game in all it's former (and future!) glory!

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL, YOU ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Ekaika
03-01-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't believe that's a question that can be uniformly answered yes or no. Only the dev's will know once the OR nears completion how previous work will integrate. Prior to this, however, we've been asked by them to continue to provide clear concise quality bug reports. The way I see it, it can't hurt, so go for it!

A while ago (read: several month) I read a statement saying that the current codebase would be made obsolete by the OR so there would be no point in fixing bugs we find on the server and therefore also no point in reporting bugs. Is that still true? Or hast the OR progressed far enough that parts of it have been integrated and need to be tested?

So Long
Shiriki

Emerzon
03-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Threads like this remind us why we keep you around Ekaika. :D..lets just hope it gets read by all confused parties.

FranzDganz
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I was confused, I read, I'm fine. :)

Thank you for info!

kaelvin
03-08-2010, 01:39 AM

So Long
Shiriki

i am sure you would have to read a whole long debate but the unofficial consensus is to press on with the testing, the way i see it, the OR is another way to access the many programs and data in their database, so in fact most of the old code will be the same, rewritten, or will be built in the standard of the older code.

why would the devs build up a huge database and then consider everything 100% useless? they dont.

back on topic thanks EK and the whole crew and i will even go so far as to thank everyone that isnt here today, even if they cant or will not be seeing this my gratitude is out there none the less =)

Darian_Carr
03-08-2010, 03:44 PM
You guys are AWESOME and we REALLY appreciate your obviosuly VERY hard and dedicated work. The game is awesome as it is now and is just going to get better. Don't let the one or two complainers get ya down. The VAST VAST majority of the community loves what you all are doing exactly the way you are doing it!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avi
03-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Great info Ekaika, keep up the awesome work swgemu staff :)

Iacodi
03-28-2010, 12:53 PM
I gotta say, even with deadlocks, and bugs and glitches and w/e. This game is so much fun, I had not realized how much I missed it till a few days ago. Keep up the good work Devs!