PDA

View Full Version : SWGEmu Big Update 11/21/2007

Ultyma
11-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Hey Everyone.

First and foremost I want to apologize for the few updates over the last couple months. We have all been rather busy with real life issues but have still found time to continue working on the server. That being said, many of the lingering crash issues have been fixed and the core is stable as it has ever been.

Now, A little while ago I said there was big news coming for this project and rightfully so, there is.

We have discussed this very thoroughly and have come to this conclusion.

SWGEmu will be going partially open-source in the near future.

It will not be the same mess that was Core1.

The way we have decided to do it is this.

SWGEmu is made up of 2 parts. Engine3 and Core3.

Engine3 will remain closed source, but available for download as a static library included with Core3, as it is the backbone and framework for the server that we guard very carefully, as it is being used for other projects as well.

Core3, which is the SWG framework will be made open source and freely available to be checked out by the public.

With it being open source, we hope to gain new developers with new insight on how to do things, also it will allow this project to get completed faster than if it was just us 4.

Source code written for Core3 by the public will be submitted through our submission platform (probably trac), at which point we will test it on a private server and if it remains stable enough, we will commit it to the public svn.

Developers who contribute alot of their time and code will be welcomed onto the team and given the ability to commit code directly to the svn themselves.
(After passing certain quality/control tests from our current team of course)

We are currently accepting resumes from prospective developers who wish to join the team right away. Please forum PM them to Me, Oru, TheAnswer, Ramsey and Seaseme.

Over the past few months we have noticed the intensity that once existed for SWG has dwindled to a near halt. We feel that this course of action will lead to the survival and continued success of the first and best Pre-Combat Upgrade Star-Wars Galaxies server.

Comments? Suggestions? Requests?

Post them here.

Relentless
11-21-2007, 02:44 PM
hell yeah

irekid
11-21-2007, 02:44 PM
2nd! And WOOT thanks ultyma

Rook
11-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Sounds good! But don't think you have to apologise we understand that you all have actual lives other than the emu and for that we are thankfull that you are putting your spare time into this project! I just wish I new something about programming so that I could help.

Waffle Leader
11-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Nice, its exciting to see a big update like this after so long!

Theoderean
11-21-2007, 02:53 PM
leetsauce.

Hopefully now, the handful of people who have posted asking if you guys need help with developing core3 will now get the chance.

Anakis
11-21-2007, 03:02 PM
I like this idea. Hopefully more programmers will be able to contribute in a meaningful way and accelerate the project. I'd also like to see more cooperation between the different projects (sharing info, ideas, learning experiences, maybe some code trades).

I believe project progress and fan interest go hand in hand. There has not been a major addition to the TC since vehicles and interest has been dropping since then.

I'm still very interested in pre-cu, I've been making some advertisement videos for my future chef business... but I've been "depressed" with the lack of visible progress on the emu lately. Let's get this **** movin'! :O

Shineh
11-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Very professional post Ulty. You've gained alot of respect from my side over the last year.

Good work team, hope to see more updates in the near future.:)

Profit
11-21-2007, 03:04 PM
This is big news, hope it helps the team out. Be careful of ****heads trying to sneak backdoors into the system, of course I don't need to tell you that. :)

DavinFelth
11-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Whoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! :D

AsoA
11-21-2007, 03:24 PM
gonna look into c++ (i dont think it wont be too hard with Java experience)

DeCastro
11-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Great update.

Khamal Jolstien
11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Should be interesting. Definitely a smart decision.

Ekowraith
11-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Does this mean a new estimate on the comlpetion of the emu?

Thanks so much devs!

Sperg
11-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Awesome news! :D

Vastor
11-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Interesting... I really do hope we can get some new Devs going on this team. These 4 Developers have come such a long way, a few more would definitely speed it up.

StormZ
11-21-2007, 04:03 PM
I hope this will speed up the development of the emu. Hopefully there are many programers who contribute to this project. Maybe the emu teams can work together to come out with an overall, stable and accurate emu... but that may just be pushing it haha. Overall this is good news and hope it works.

The hype for the emu is still there, dont give up!

Thanks again for all the work you devs put into this emulator.

Gulkia
11-21-2007, 04:10 PM
nice!

Deharak
11-21-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm glad that you guys are doing whatever is necessary to bring back the game we all loved. Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication. I hope this works out.:)

TROLL357
11-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Cheers! Keep up with all great work. I know that we'll have issues in real life at some point but we're keeping our hope up. I look forward to see more in few months :)

Gulkia
11-21-2007, 04:20 PM
oh btw when do you guys plan to do this? :p

uenako
11-21-2007, 04:28 PM
I for one am glad that this will be going public again.

It doesn't take a genius to see that the interest in this project has substantially dwindled since its inception, there have been too many generalized predictions of release, there have been (either fair or unfair) broken promises along the way. People care so much about this game, that it it’s actually painful to go through the waiting process.

It does however take a wise man to recognize what is necessary to be done for the overall good… and an even braver man to see it through to the end.

Bottom line is that this move should bring you forward in your progress, and speed up the process. I do not envy the grief you will most likely bring upon yourselves over the next few months in dealing with people outside of your comfort zone, but I thank you again for your efforts, and wish you all good luck.

drakkare
11-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Excellent decision devs. This will speed it up for sure. Thanks for the good news, has made my day lol.

Serifin
11-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Very, very cool

DoMiNaTe
11-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Awesome news!.

Shrek98
11-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Commendable I must say.

We obviously don't know what aspects are 'engine' and what are 'core' (as it was always called core3 as a whole to us before now). So is the core going to be everything haven't sorted out and the engine everything you've already done? Or is it more modularly explainable than that?

Is there a promise of it staying SVN or will it be closed from there when you have what you want?

I'll say again, I think this is a great step forward and wish all teams would make all their code public, though I know that won't happen :(

Good luck with this guys.

Munkyman587
11-21-2007, 04:51 PM
It is not hard to see why interest has fallen. Every one of my friends who has come here to learn more has been met with generally stuck-up behavior. Questions such as.. what can I do, when is it ready, can I test whats there? are met with "ZOMG!!! DIDNT YOU READ STICKY 5 PAGE 14!!!!?" I have no idea what an IRC channel is, I just hop on a computer, keep my hardware up to date, and play games as they come out... SWG being one of the best games/communities I have ever seen. I figured this project would exemplify that quality of people, but not from what I have seen. I check back every other month or so, just to see if anything has been done. My friends now do the same, because we were all scared off by people who figured we should have known every detail from the start. I know a lot of effort has been put into this project, but by the time its all over, even the real SWG will have a larger following and more loyal fan base than this.

toilet_duck
11-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Fuggin' awesome news. I hope some professional-level coders from the community will be added to the development team. Either way, there will still be enough work available for the more newbish programmers out there to find something to do. Thanks for the update, I'll be looking for more news on this soon... :)

Ethereal
11-21-2007, 04:59 PM
You guys are some of the coolest people on Earth. Right behind Burlex and his ascentemu for WoW. (But if you actualy seen the code he wrote for a WoW emu you would probably undstand why you guys are a close second.)

Ekowraith
11-21-2007, 05:00 PM
I disagree, Munkeyman. I think the real reason why interest appears to have fallen is the "I will play it when it's done". That's certainly my plan.

Ter
11-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Awesome job guys, I am glad to see this other developers who have been urging for a chance, finally get one.

_DM_
11-21-2007, 05:32 PM
:happy_cry:
That's awesome!

Oaram
11-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Great news, i think its a great idea, as long as it doesn't get out of hand, I trust all the devs and whoever else they bring aboard to carry tis project

Theoderean
11-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Btw you can't see this on the front page, probs be good if you could..

Ramsey
11-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Quick note: Code submissions will be handled through a much more organized system (such as trac). We'll be setting up, and facilitating source control for submissions.

Legoklas
11-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Hmm, was hoping that crafting were done :P

Gulkia
11-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Quick note: Code submissions will be handled through a much more organized system (such as trac). We'll be setting up, and facilitating source control for submissions.

Does this mean all the stuff thats on the former updates will be hitting the tc soon?

DsAMeRcUrY
11-21-2007, 06:44 PM
I hate to kill the joy, and I have a great deal of faith in the development team, but we have went down this road before, and it ended badly.

I'm curious as to how the devs see this as different than the fiasco that was taking core 1 open source.

Do they intend to keep it partially open source for the remainder of the project, or is this just essentially a recruiting drive to see what members of the community are competent coders? (to be honest, I hope it's the latter)

Applecorc
11-21-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm curious as to how the devs see this as different than the fiasco that was taking core 1 open source.

For one thing the engine will be closed which s a good idea. This will be similar to what Steam has done. Built an engine that they maintain and then say "ok here's the functions and calls available, have fun." Granted that all are working toward one goal instead of hundreds of projects. Plus they have the veto power on all code. I look forward to helping code. :)

Warren Peace
11-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Great News!

Runny
11-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Flippin sweet

Zar
11-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Awesome Update :) Thanks for all your hard work devs, I dont know where you get your patients from, I woulda quit by now. :|

Ekaika
11-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Agree with other poster, a little concerned about going this road again. BUT tbh from what I can tell things have slowed a bit and some of the current challenges need a few more sets of eyes looking at them. I don't blame you guys for keeping some of it private, I hope that doesn't interfere with the progress of new code.

Interest hasn't waned, I don't think. It's just obvious that progress has slowed, so people have nothing to talk about.

I remember there were 1 or 2 people that seemed genuinely interested with talent. Hope they get this message.

Griffin
11-21-2007, 07:31 PM
That's Just Awesome :3

Galaborn
11-21-2007, 07:37 PM
great news
i hope it will speed up the project

Hero164
11-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Good decision.

As time has gone by people are slowly drifiting away from the project. Currently nothing I have played beats SWG Pre CU. But if the project drifts through 2008 without a release the playerbase is likley to dwindle as more MMORPGs are released.

I applaud any attempt to speed up development at this point. We are all full of gratitude for what you guys do. But the patience of people is as is shown by reduced site activity not infinite.

I would love to see a developer who does nothing by populate areas correctly, especially cities and POI. This would start to give people something to see and a reason to test. I'd run around looking at Biggs and Jabba, Fingrin Da'nn etc. A mob of the week to find would be fun. Just anything to motivate people.

As always grateful and hopeful.

Davickk
11-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Im a little confused heh, so say i have a working server now, with just the basic pre cu code, i can use the Core3 code thingy and put it on my already running server? and be updated with core3?

denerictkm
11-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Hey, you guys shouldn't even start to feel sorry, honestly, I've found the slowed progress kinda refreshing. I always feel like a **** when I think that while I'm sitting here, *****ing about what SOE did, while you guys are actually doing something about it, and then you over work yourselves and get all stressed.

vincentpol
11-21-2007, 08:17 PM
excelent decission, let the public contribute in a more practicle way than financial donations. I bet alot of my fellow students are going to be thrilled to hear this :eek:

mandolorianoutcast
11-21-2007, 08:52 PM
I'd search through old forum posts for popele who offerd to help you guys in the past and contact them via registration email.

Andewa
11-21-2007, 09:00 PM
It is not hard to see why interest has fallen. Every one of my friends who has come here to learn more has been met with generally stuck-up behavior. Questions such as.. what can I do, when is it ready, can I test whats there? are met with "ZOMG!!! DIDNT YOU READ STICKY 5 PAGE 14!!!!?" I have no idea what an IRC channel is, I just hop on a computer, keep my hardware up to date, and play games as they come out... SWG being one of the best games/communities I have ever seen. I figured this project would exemplify that quality of people, but not from what I have seen. I check back every other month or so, just to see if anything has been done. My friends now do the same, because we were all scared off by people who figured we should have known every detail from the start. I know a lot of effort has been put into this project, but by the time its all over, even the real SWG will have a larger following and more loyal fan base than this.

No offense, but your friends are lazy. When you register, you are told to read the FAQ. If your friends would have taken five minutes to read the FAQ like they should have, they wouldn't have been met with "stuck-up" behavior. People get angry when they spend an hour and a half explaining how set up IRC and write out a FAQ and some jacknob comes in and asks "What is IRC?" "Can I play" "Is this free? "Whats NGE?"

Ekowraith
11-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Is not answering those questions worth not having a substantial community when the time comes?

Relax.

Nikolei
11-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Sounds like good thinking to me. Keep our talented core coders working on the big issues while the random basement warriors pound out the monotonous stuff.

Andewa
11-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Is not answering those questions worth not having a substantial community when the time comes?

Relax.

Redundant questions are annoying. People make the FAQ so there are not 50 threads saying "How do I play?". The forums are to share ideas, experiences, and opinions on and about SWG.

zabrakwith
11-21-2007, 09:54 PM
"Over the past few months we have noticed the intensity that once existed for SWG has dwindled to a near halt. We feel that this course of action will lead to the survival and continued success of the first and best Pre-Combat Upgrade Star-Wars Galaxies server. Comments? Suggestions? Requests?"

Ultyma,
I think interest has dwindled for the general public because the project is taking a long time to complete (and justifiably so). The die-hard pre-cu fans will always be there...most are probably just lurkers at this point in the process. I think once you guys near completion, you'll see everyone come out to play! I know many people that can't wait to play but have never registered on this site.

Any ideas you have to speed the process, I am certainly in favor!

Malitixus
11-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Once the slightest breath that the emu is done hits the net...open zee flood gates

apowerr
11-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Once the slightest breath that the emu is done hits the net...open zee flood gates
Seriously. Every Vet and their mother will at least try the EMU out. Then word will spread that the emu is free and 'hello I can has free game?!!?one!11!1one!'.

Interest has gone down, and I understand why the team made this decision. It is good to recognize that going opensource will help and be proactive

Livek
11-21-2007, 11:41 PM
This wasn't the kind of update I was hoping for. I'm not too optimistic about this gutsy move considering past events, and I expect all the e-drama that comes with it to put a strain on morale. However, I hope everyone can take a lesson from history to avoid making the same mistakes as before, and it sounds like this has been taken into consideration.

If the innumerable threads regarding how to connect or play on the test server is annoying to you, how much more so will the threads asking where to download and how to compile the latest release, or asking which C++ book to buy so that after reading chapter 4 one can submit their 30 nested IF statements (missing a semicolon, of course). :D

Of course, this isn't going to make me run off. I'll still be lurking.
Best wishes on this endeavor, to all who contribute.

Seaseme
11-22-2007, 12:00 AM
To answer some questions.

Why is this going to be different than core 1?
We've learned from core 1, and believe me. We've been talking about how to prevent a core 1 from ever happening again for almost a month now. This time around there will be QUALITY CONTROL. There will be more testing before ANY revisions are made, and we will make sure that they are quality revisions. We will only accept code from people who are GOOD coders. Not ANYONE, like before.

The problem before with core 1 was that certain members of the dev team DIDN'T LOOK or TEST most of the revisions that were submitted. They just threw them onto the pile. That's why it was so unclean, so hard to work with and SO unstable. Like I said before, not just ANYONE will be able to submit code that will be added to the revision list. We will require that it is tested, and worth while to implement.

We've started DevTeam2, which is sort of a new dev team that will concentrate on features, testing and clearing revisions for final submission. They will be the only ones with the capability and permission to submit final revisions and such to SVN.

What is Engine3?
Engine 3 is the "engine" of core 3. Without engine 3, core 3 is useless. Without core 3, engine3 is still engine 3. It's all of the actual server work, the clustering code, and all of the things that happen beneath the hood to keep core3 running nicely.

I'll try to keep answering questions.

Ebena
11-22-2007, 12:12 AM
This is great news to hear indeed. A concern I have though is with the competitive other swg emu project's out there. What exactly is going to stop them now from say downloading the code here and then building on it and then releasing there own claiming credit for all that work?

This may sound stupid as I'm not very suave coder/server-client side coding type of person but I was just thinking someone is going to try and claim credit for all the work you guys did..

Gulkia
11-22-2007, 12:23 AM

We've learned from core 1, and believe me. We've been talking about how to prevent a core 1 from ever happening again for almost a month now. This time around there will be QUALITY CONTROL. There will be more testing before ANY revisions are made, and we will make sure that they are quality revisions. We will only accept code from people who are GOOD coders. Not ANYONE, like before.

The problem before with core 1 was that certain members of the dev team DIDN'T LOOK or TEST most of the revisions that were submitted. They just threw them onto the pile. That's why it was so unclean, so hard to work with and SO unstable. Like I said before, not just ANYONE will be able to submit code that will be added to the revision list. We will require that it is tested, and worth while to implement.

We've started DevTeam2, which is sort of a new dev team that will concentrate on features, testing and clearing revisions for final submission. They will be the only ones with the capability and permission to submit final revisions and such to SVN.

What is Engine3?
Engine 3 is the "engine" of core 3. Without engine 3, core 3 is useless. Without core 3, engine3 is still engine 3. It's all of the actual server work, the clustering code, and all of the things that happen beneath the hood to keep core3 running nicely.

I'll try to keep answering questions.

When will the core 3 static library be available?

Seaseme
11-22-2007, 12:47 AM
ASAP. We're working with some security measures on it. So no one can steal it and pretend they did the work. So, sorry to those people.

Emerzon
11-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Great work guys. Bravo-Zulu

DsAMeRcUrY
11-22-2007, 02:07 AM

Thanks Seaseme, that helped to allay some of my fears about this venture.

This is, afterall, a coding project as much as it is a gameplay project. I see no real reason why not to get more coders involved, as long as their code can be verified as quality code, and that checking said code doesn't significantly slow the main dev team.

nostyleguy
11-22-2007, 02:41 AM
Im a little confused? is this DevTeam2 the 4 current devs(oru,ultyma,ramsey,TA)? or some section/addition of those? Are the 'newbies' (community members deemed worthy enough to be part of the team) going to be part of DevTeam2?

Also, its probably because i've been reading too many tragic plays for my English Literature class, but to me, the original post made it seem like the Devs are getting stuck/stumped on some obstacles. Is this in anyway true? We all like to think our 4 devs are super-men-coders but its not out of the realm of possibilities that they could be stumped.

Kyle
11-22-2007, 03:29 AM
Im a little confused? is this DevTeam2 the 4 current devs(oru,ultyma,ramsey,TA)? or some section/addition of those? Are the 'newbies' (community members deemed worthy enough to be part of the team) going to be part of DevTeam2?

Also, its probably because i've been reading too many tragic plays for my English Literature class, but to me, the original post made it seem like the Devs are getting stuck/stumped on some obstacles. Is this in anyway true? We all like to think our 4 devs are super-men-coders but its not out of the realm of possibilities that they could be stumped.

DevTeam2 is not the current devs. It is going to be made up of some really good people that have been with the project for a while. As for being stumped, thats not the case. DevTeam1 (at least Oru, TA) prefer to work on the server core, while team 2 doesn't do anything with the underlying server/networking/etc code, they focus on things like loot, combat, resource, crafting, etc. So, while Team 1 works on server stability, there is another team working on features. This is a very simple explanation, because its not precisely that cut and dry, but you get the idea.

Ramsey
11-22-2007, 04:07 AM
What exactly is going to stop them now from say downloading the code here and then building on it and then releasing there own claiming credit for all that work?

And..? :D

Anyway,
Until a stable release there WILL be a connection cap. Do not think we are doing this so a bunch of core1-like party servers popup over night. The point of open source is to get work done, while involving the community. The connection cap will be enough for code submitters to test out the code with a couple of friends to make sure there arent any sync problems before submitting it for review. The development team will optimize, fix, and clean up all submitted code and accept it if it meets standards. All this information will be disclosed on trac soon.

I remember someone asking this on irc or something, but yes: this is the ORB (clustering) version of core&engine 3.

Seaseme
11-22-2007, 04:30 AM
Stumped isn't the word. We are definetly held up from all of this heightmap stuff. But other things can continue while the heightmap info is figured out. Everything is going fine. Everyone just came to the realization that we could do this a better way. So here it is.

hdnine
11-22-2007, 05:56 AM
I can't say this enough times... thank you guys, yet again for you efforts! I'm really looking forward to the day SWGEmu goes live.

manoman
11-22-2007, 06:28 AM
very good update

Ultyma
11-22-2007, 06:57 AM
This is great news to hear indeed. A concern I have though is with the competitive other swg emu project's out there. What exactly is going to stop them now from say downloading the code here and then building on it and then releasing there own claiming credit for all that work?

This may sound stupid as I'm not very suave coder/server-client side coding type of person but I was just thinking someone is going to try and claim credit for all the work you guys did..

We have weighed the good/bad of releasing the code and having other teams claim it as their own. We've come to the conclusion that at this point in the game it doesn't matter.

We did it first. If they do it last, it's because of our work and our research. Just like it has always been.

The only real thing they could take is packet structures. And I'm 100% they have structs for everything already so thats not even an issue in my mind.

The code thats written is essentially useless to any other project because its built so heavily around Engine3.

heynow
11-22-2007, 07:46 AM
This is one of the better moves that i have seen by the team in quite awhile. Im glad that you guys are willing to suck up your pride to get the game done. With a little luck and programming, SWG will be back up and running in the near future.

rekoil
11-22-2007, 08:40 AM
i applaud your decision and i hope nothing but good comes from it, for the team and for the project.

Volte
11-22-2007, 09:38 AM
I like this.
This allows SWGEMU to progress solely on heightmaps bvut at the same time allows others to get other things working for them which saves them less work.
And since it will go through a heavy QA process before SWGEMU add it offically to their core. no unstableness like Core 1

David
11-22-2007, 09:53 AM
i like to hear this :]

Ekowraith
11-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Can someone explain the "heightmap stuff"?

Ultragunner
11-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Ultyma if u could pm me and tell me what my friend needs to know ill try to get him on the team...I know he knows coding...pretty sure C++.....but yah get back to I may have somebody who can help u guys

Applecorc
11-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Can someone explain the "heightmap stuff"?

Clicky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heightmap)

FYI Google is your friend. ;)

Ekowraith
11-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks, though I could have found that - I simply meant how it relates to SWGEmu.

Oru
11-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Ultyma if u could pm me and tell me what my friend needs to know ill try to get him on the team...I know he knows coding...pretty sure C++.....but yah get back to I may have somebody who can help u guys

we are going to post soon what an ideal candidate should know, however you can still tell your friend to PM his resume to all the devs here, as it was mentioned in Ulty's post.

KADAJ1289
11-22-2007, 12:17 PM
So what this update is saying is that they are going to set up a server in which we can actually play and start grinding before the release?

Deej
11-22-2007, 12:27 PM
So what this update is saying is that they are going to set up a server in which we can actually play and start grinding before the release?

No, this update is saying that SWGEMU is completed and they are releasing the server code....ZOMGZ....

But no what this is saying is that they are open-sourcing the Core3 code Wich people can then use to test and implement things if they know how. then if you get something working like lets say....umm.....Bazzars? yeah bazzars you can submit the code and a SWGEMU dev will test it out and see if it actually does work then will impliment it for testing....Right?.

Applecorc
11-22-2007, 12:33 PM
But no what this is saying is that they are open-sourcing the Core3 code Wich people can then use to test and implement things if they know how. then if you get something working like lets say....umm.....Bazzars? yeah bazzars you can submit the code and a SWGEMU dev will test it out and see if it actually does work then will impliment it for testing....Right?.

Correct Give that man a cigar.

Sumane
11-22-2007, 12:45 PM
like everyone else here, im a bit discourged with the obvious lack of progress, things being said and then not followed up. that being said, there is obviously things goin on behind the scenes, and although i would have prefered to see this project stay closed source, i think it will definatly help the progress. when core1 went closed source, ok it caused more problems than it solved, but it still solved some problems, not long after core1 went open, combat was done, many of the features used in core 3, im sure where contributed in core1 svn.

im sure not many ppl r gonna read that since i myself just glance over the posts, but bottom line, im all for any changes that will speed this project up, u guys have done an amazing job so far so im sure we will all have precu back in no time.

Instigator11283
11-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the update info Devs.;)
I hope this decision will help everybody out.:)

Blacknights
11-22-2007, 12:53 PM
It's time to have some fun.

MrBlonde
11-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Great update, thanks for all the hard work.

Malitixus
11-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Correct Give that man a cigar.

That technology has yet be implemented into Core 3.
We can only give cookies as an Imperial faction perk

zetlaux
11-22-2007, 02:51 PM

I agree with parts of this, and I disagree with others. The fan base for the emu is somewhat dormant I think. I do agree with you about the general animosity to new players who appear for this project and are curious. When I found out about the emu, I was BLOWN AWAY. And I definitely picked up on the feeling that I was only welcome if I've read every single page and post of the forums. It was like "Welcome to SWGEmu! Now DONT TALK FOR 2 WEEKS!" lol This attitude does not help players feel like they are welcome. Thankfully I don't really care if people flame me, I just do my own thing.

Ashur
11-22-2007, 03:14 PM
thanks for the update,

yeah forum is kinda slow, but that doesnt matter as long as people are still intrested in this emu or one of the other ones,

the point of all this is to get our game back, and i know alot of people currently playing other games, waiting for emu to finish!

AntiVirus
11-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Great! Thanks Ulty, I was wating long for this.

Applecorc
11-22-2007, 04:13 PM
That technology has yet be implemented into Core 3.
We can only give cookies as an Imperial faction perk

Sorry I was unaware. Perhaps that can be the first thing I'll submit to be added to the game ;) .

dnifan
11-22-2007, 04:22 PM
This. Is. Great. News.

Really! :D

Zaff
11-22-2007, 09:57 PM
opening up to check out the coding skills of those who have found the emu since the last time is a good idea. Even if this adds just one or two people to the team, it will be a big psychological impact for the members of the community that need to see new things in TC in order to perceive that progress is being made.

And imo, I don't think that the interest is dwindling. I have people to contact who are not going to be interested until there is a lot more to do on TC. I also know others who are just keeping an occasional eye on the forums, or asking about progress. I regularly troll the forums myself to check the status and look for old friends. I also logon to TC some to check things out. And there are others that are more involved than me. That last group is the one that is perceived as the community interest. But all of the people I've mentioned represent the real interest in the emu. Many of us just don't post much in the forums after a year or two of being in the community.

Inkanta12-lolz
11-22-2007, 11:35 PM
thanks a lot guys

I only wish that i knew how to code and stuff =/ im gona start learnin soon, in theory :|

Faranox
11-23-2007, 01:03 AM
If I knew anything about programming I'd help, but I don't. Maybe someone knows about a God-awesome tutorial that would help the community become closer together by allowing more people to help in the EMU's development? It worked wonders for Mount & Blade.

Rudy
11-23-2007, 01:13 AM
The hype isn't dwindling. There are still plenty of people who stick around, but pretty much everything that can be said has been said. Going open source and new updates will certainly spark new interest in the program, though.

Great job!

Magus Schneider
11-23-2007, 04:55 AM
that's good news

stallion
11-23-2007, 06:31 AM
Awesome

dnifan
11-23-2007, 08:38 AM
I'll put so much work in this! :)

ebanutik
11-23-2007, 09:09 AM
SWG is dying, no news here. The longer it takes to release the actual playable free version, either SWGemu or SWGANH or SWGPrecu, the smaller will be the audience. After release, freeloaders might help it, but there are a lot of good MMOS in development now, so i wudn't count on it.

Kateb Ibliss
11-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Best of luck SWGEmu Dev's. Your work is appreciated more then most of you know.

Good move!

Xiox
11-23-2007, 12:51 PM
heh. It's like the final burst before the finish line :P

Open it up and the remaining crap should be finished by that time, ah that is so sweet =)

Can't wait!

SWG is dying, no news here. The longer it takes to release the actual playable free version, either SWGemu or SWGANH or SWGPrecu, the smaller will be the audience. After release, freeloaders might help it, but there are a lot of good MMOS in development now, so i wudn't count on it.

There is always that factor. The more improved MMO's and such. Ironically all the newer ones are either a knock off of World of Warcraft or.. NGE SWG. Seriously take a look at Tabula Rasa, seem familiar? Whatever these MMO's are making, it's nothing new. I think you totally underestimate the originality and thought process behind SWG, it's kinda ironic that those who thrived during SWG Pre-CU's time, also end up with huge fleet ships in EVE. I personally don't care who joins in on the fun, the amount of users the emu brings is the population of the intelligent ones really.

It wouldn't be to my surprise that the whole fan-club will come pouring back once the word gets out that A emulator is completed or at least so close to completion that open source is available.. we'll just have to see.

Shuringan
11-23-2007, 02:07 PM
heh. It's like the final burst before the finish line :P

Open it up and the remaining crap should be finished by that time, ah that is so sweet =)

Can't wait!

There is always that factor. The more improved MMO's and such. Ironically all the newer ones are either a knock off of World of Warcraft or.. NGE SWG. Seriously take a look at Tabula Rasa, seem familiar? Whatever these MMO's are making, it's nothing new. I think you totally underestimate the originality and thought process behind SWG, it's kinda ironic that those who thrived during SWG Pre-CU's time, also end up with huge fleet ships in EVE. I personally don't care who joins in on the fun, the amount of users the emu brings is the population of the intelligent ones really.

It wouldn't be to my surprise that the whole fan-club will come pouring back once the word gets out that A emulator is completed or at least so close to completion that open source is available.. we'll just have to see.

hey your that guy on Modsource making those new mods heh. Keep it ub.

wookiesniper
11-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Thank you for all of your hardwork guys, we really appreciate it!!!

Emerzon
11-23-2007, 03:39 PM

Yea im sure that once all is complete and the rest of the "in-active" emu community knows of it, it'll be like wild fire.

munkor
11-23-2007, 04:24 PM

lol , where in the world did u pull that from?

hey , its santa claus ! spreading goodwill and joy to everyone. seriously, if u have no confidence in the emu team, like the rest of us have, why bother trolling these forums and posting at all.

LordSniper
11-23-2007, 08:42 PM
good update.

-z-
11-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Very nice, I was awaiting something like this for a while... I am very curious as to how a well run mmo server is made, ^^ and this definatly peeks my interest, my favorite game code available to look at makes me wana post a link on all my projects to this site!

which I may actually do.... depending on how much I learn from looking at the code (when I get around to looking at the code that is)

Ramsey
11-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Going open source in the next day or so does not mean that you wil be able to start playing around for fun. We will impose a connection limit of 5 to ensure this doesnt turn out to be a mess like core1. We will lift the connection limit once we hit the 1.0 release. The connection limit will drive more focus to getting the crtical features taken care of. Aproved patches will be tested on the tc which will expose the new patches to a reasonable amount of persistant connections

Gulkia
11-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Going open source in the next day or so does not mean that you wil be able to start playing around for fun. We will impose a connection limit of 5 to ensure this doesnt turn out to be a mess like core1. We will lift the connection limit once we hit the 1.0 release. The connection limit will drive more focus to getting the crtical features taken care of. Aproved patches will be tested on the tc which will expose the new patches to a reasonable amount of persistant connections

good idea! i was worried about that... :|

Inkanta12-lolz
11-24-2007, 01:59 AM
good idea! i was worried about that... :|

yah, nice goin rams :D

HANx
11-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Bloody nice !!!

keep it up ..... we are all counting on you

zetlaux
11-24-2007, 08:58 AM

I totally disagree. SWG is unique in that you are forgetting one major audience:

Star Wars fans

Volte
11-24-2007, 09:31 AM

Would 1.0 release mean the actual fully playable game?

Xiox
11-24-2007, 09:33 AM

Smart! I'm still gonna do it! ... with 5 people!! lol.. (no really, good idea.)

Would 1.0 release mean the actual fully playable game?

indeed.

zetlaux
11-24-2007, 11:22 AM
I agree with a few other posters here. We need to find a way for non-coders to start helping out with this project. Many of us are avid SWG fanatics who have little or no experience with coding. Me for example: I learned basic C-scripting (not C++), so I can understand some code, but can't write anything useful for the game.

While the coders are the backbone of the game, they are not the only ingredient needed. There needs to be a submission process for non-coders to submit draft missions, quests, and ideas in a useful way to the coders who can make them a reality.

Volte
11-24-2007, 11:29 AM
While the coders are the backbone of the game, they are not the only ingredient needed. There needs to be a submission process for non-coders to submit draft missions, quests, and ideas in a useful way to the coders who can make them a reality.

We shouldn't even be thinking about that stuff until we get the game done

zetlaux
11-24-2007, 11:40 AM
We shouldn't even be thinking about that stuff until we get the game done

/disagree

I understand that the game has to be completed before these features are implemented. That is a no-brainer. However, one of the problems with the community "losing interest" is that the majority of us feel there is nothing we can help with. What is the harm in setting up a way to accept organized and detailed ideas that will make adding content to the project faster after completion? Sorry I didn't specify that to begin with. I am not proposing adding content to the game right now.

The way non-coders are treated is part of the EMU's problem.

Many of us played SWG since launch, and we have a great concept of the purpose and functions of the game. We simply feel locked out of this project for not being avid coders.

paladrad
11-24-2007, 12:58 PM
wootzorleetnessown

Tow'lin
11-24-2007, 01:41 PM
/disagree

I understand that the game has to be completed before these features are implemented. That is a no-brainer. However, one of the problems with the community "losing interest" is that the majority of us feel there is nothing we can help with. What is the harm in setting up a way to accept organized and detailed ideas that will make adding content to the project faster after completion? Sorry I didn't specify that to begin with. I am not proposing adding content to the game right now.

Many of us played SWG since launch, and we have a great concept of the purpose and functions of the game. We simply feel locked out of this project for not being avid coders.

/agree

Good post, btw. This will make the development of the Emu a little smoother (I hope anyway)

Ekowraith
11-24-2007, 02:04 PM
/disagree

I agree and disagree. While I feel that non-coders should have a place in this process, core game mechanics need to be implemented long before quest ideas. This seems to be obvious to you.

Bombarding the development team with creative ideas is not conducive to progression.

That said, this (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7) forum exists for what seems to be what you were talking about.

Seaseme
11-24-2007, 02:20 PM
The last time we had the idea of letting EVERYONE help things got messed up. Core 1 is a MESS. This is the only way we could do this without letting things turn into core 1. That's fine with me. We'll have more quality control over all patches now, more programmers and probably more willing testers as features start to come faster. This is a good thing.

Shuringan
11-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Just a thought, dont know about your view, but the Swganh is pretty far with all of this. Would it be possible to buy or find an agreement to get some of the things they have set up?

Emerzon
11-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Just a thought, dont know about your view, but the Swganh is pretty far with all of this. Would it be possible to buy or find an agreement to get some of the things they have set up?

I think Id rather just wait till our guys finish up..

zetlaux
11-24-2007, 03:54 PM
I agree and disagree. While I feel that non-coders should have a place in this process, core game mechanics need to be implemented long before quest ideas. This seems to be obvious to you.

Bombarding the development team with creative ideas is not conducive to progression.

That said, this (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7) forum exists for what seems to be what you were talking about.

Who mentioned bombarding the devs? lol Thank you for the response, but I do not need a link to the "Future Server Ideas" forum ;) I use it quite often. I'm talking about something a little more formal and organized where a small team can organize fresh new ideas from the entire community for content once we go live. Perhaps what you are suggesting is me just going through the entire FSI forum and turning all of those posts into code-ready ideas?

That forum serves a good purpose: players that feel they have an idea can post it at their pleasure. If you go in, you tend to see 15 threads about Jedi, 3 about capital ships, and very little is specific. Now don't get me wrong, there are good threads mixed in there as well. But it's easy to overlook the importance of small-level content. How about some creative, region-specific missions that are more than just "A local flora farmer has an infestation of womp rats. Go wipe them out." ??? :lightsaber:

I have an artistic mind, and I see more potential in this game than those types of missions and, for lack of better words, the "quests" that SOE used. We need to open up to new ideas. Everything should be up for discussion.

PS Coders are awesome. lol

Bosoa
11-24-2007, 05:00 PM
What sort of documentation and/or tools are you all planning to release along with the software (if any) ? Any chance of getting a look at documentation while you prep the software for release?

Shuringan
11-24-2007, 05:17 PM
I think Id rather just wait till our guys finish up..

Just because they are not l33t like SWGEmu doesnt mean there patches are not perfect. They have a beta planned by December. (not perfectly sure). I read through there patch notes and it all seems to be succesfull from when they tested it. So why not?

Seaseme
11-24-2007, 05:18 PM
it's not going to happen shuringan. Bottom line.

PhantomLeader
11-24-2007, 05:22 PM
ANH claims to be far ahead with this. Whether they are or not...that's another matter, but one that won't be discussed here. Relationships between the two teams are well nigh non-existent.
Plus, they are using completely different code (I believe they're emulating publish 14, while we're emulating publish 13). So there really isn't a way that the two teams could collaborate.
Please do not discuss other teams here.

Ekowraith
11-24-2007, 05:42 PM
While I don't really want to press the issue, why is it that discussion regarding legality/other teams is prohibited here? I think both of those issues are at the forefront of a good amount of the communities' minds.

Seeing this post deleted without an explanation would be frustrating.

Emerzon
11-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Seeing this post deleted without an explanation would be frustrating.

Oh god..they wouldn't want to frustrate you...please devs..answer the man..please before he gets frustrated and does something...like post another message..lol

Seaseme
11-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Questions regarding legality are not allowed because it's been answered in the FAQ and probably dozens of other times on these forums. It's legal.

Discussion of other teams isn't allowed here because it isn't relevant to us. This isn't a competition or a race. It's just a matter of releasing a quality piece of software when the time comes. You obviously don't know the history between swgemu and the other teams, otherwise you would understand why it's forbiddon.

Ekowraith
11-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Oh god..they wouldn't want to frustrate you...please devs..answer the man..please before he gets frustrated and does something...like post another message..lol

lol. :)

I've just noticed in the past a trend of deleting posts without an explanation. If you're going to censor someone and they don't know why, it'll be hard for them to avoid it in the future.

Questions regarding legality are not allowed because it's been answered in the FAQ and probably dozens of other times on these forums. It's legal.

So nothing covered in the FAQ may be discussed?

edit: Do you just mean that the question "is it legal" is not allowed? Or, is it like any other subject in the FAQ - it can be discussed, but obvious questions regarding it are not?

Seaseme
11-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Notice how I said QUESTIONS I don't care if you discuss them. The point is, the project is legal. And if it weren't we'd have been shut down long ago. Discussion should be minimized because we've been over the legality issue quite a few times now. It's nothing new.

Ekowraith
11-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Yeah, sorry. You can see in the edit that I noticed that prior to your post and changed my post to reflect it.

Got it. :]

I got that notion from a forum which insisted that SWGEmu would recieve cease and desist letter as soon as it gained momentum - and that because of that, discussion of the issue on the forum was banned. Not just questions.

Seaseme
11-24-2007, 06:53 PM
We've recieved several cease and desist threats. Nothing has held up, and we've even had a telephone conference with higherups at SOE/Lucasarts and their lawyers who said they would NOT persue legal action with us, and even offered their support.

edit: Do you just mean that the question "is it legal" is not allowed? Or, is it like any other subject in the FAQ - it can be discussed, but obvious questions regarding it are not?

That's what I mean. If you're asking "Why is this legal" we will delete the post. The answer to it is in the FAQ. If your post is deleted it is most likely because it is discussed in the FAQ or it is in poor taste.

Shuringan
11-24-2007, 07:13 PM
ok ok ok, I just wanted to see if it could help. Didnt want to offend you guys heh.

Seaseme
11-24-2007, 07:40 PM
It takes a lot more than that to offend me. :)

Ekowraith
11-24-2007, 08:12 PM
I appreciate the clarifications, Seaseme. Sounds great. :]

Applecorc
11-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Moving on, will there be a list posted that you'ld like the Coders to work on. A to-do list for the game? ;)

ever189
11-24-2007, 08:28 PM
wait so the connection will only allow 5ppl to play? for how long if true

ever189
11-24-2007, 08:57 PM
nm, I read the whole thread now

Seaseme
11-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Yes- We already have a system in place for bug tracking/reporting/team managment/documentation and milestones.

_DM_
11-24-2007, 09:42 PM
In Soviet Russia EMU plays you!

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4616/sovietpartyjo1.png (http://imageshack.us)
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4616/sovietpartyjo1.cf504dcad8.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=513&i=sovietpartyjo1.png)

Emerzon
11-24-2007, 10:05 PM
we've even had a telephone conference with higherups at SOE/Lucasarts.....and even offered their support.

I got something SOE can support...

Applecorc
11-24-2007, 11:04 PM
In Soviet Russia EMU plays you!

LOL! :D:D

Galind Faluns
11-25-2007, 12:08 AM
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5696/trashcat410nz8.jpg

Soapflake
11-25-2007, 12:47 AM
Great job on swallowing your pride and looking elsewhere for some answers. I know it wasn't easy for you to bite the bullet and go back to open source and hopefully its more successful than last time.

Mailman
11-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Hey...Just a little rumor, but I felt it should be posted...

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/19/biowares-upcoming-mmo-based-in-kotor-universe/

(Clicky)

Emerzon
11-25-2007, 12:58 AM
Great job on swallowing your pride and looking elsewhere for some answers.

So allowing some of the community to assist more and become more involved is "swallowing their pride?" I don't see it that way.

Galind Faluns
11-25-2007, 01:23 AM
Psssst, we know already :p.

Emerzon
11-25-2007, 02:07 AM
Psssst, we know already :p.

What do ya already know?

Ekowraith
11-25-2007, 02:28 AM
I really don't think pride was the issue - it was moreso carefulness.

Though I don't think Soapflake meant that harshly.

Emerzon
11-25-2007, 02:39 AM

*finds soapflake*:slap:..but i meant that harshly.

Ekowraith
11-25-2007, 02:55 AM
Interesting face the second smiley makes after getting hit.. rofl

CaptJones
11-25-2007, 03:41 AM
What does this update mean to someone who doesn't speak english very well?

SethonC.
11-25-2007, 03:58 AM
What does this update mean to someone who doesn't speak english very well?

It means that the developers will give people the code of the SWGEmu to anyone, making it available for editing.

patrik
11-25-2007, 04:07 AM
Questions:

** Will the source be freely available here, or do I have to Apply to get it ?

** To test functions that I add, can I test them myself before sending them?
- Have an own testserver to test...?

** Code Bounty
- Could this be something ?, to get extra help, and support from players.. ?

** Programming
- C++ Enviroment or what are you guys using ?
- Is there documentation or I have to find out ?

Regards
Patrik

Sumane
11-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Hey...Just a little rumor, but I felt it should be posted...

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/19/biowares-upcoming-mmo-based-in-kotor-universe/

(Clicky)

awesome, but i think it is in the wrong section :P

CaptJones
11-25-2007, 11:54 AM
It means that the developers will give people the code of the SWGEmu to anyone, making it available for editing.And what interesting should one do with the code when he/she edits it?

Soapflake
11-25-2007, 11:58 AM
I really don't think pride was the issue - it was moreso carefulness.

Correct. Maybe I just meant that when they ended open source the first time they called it an awful idea, they said it barely helped the project and that it wasn't worth it. They also said that Joker was the main one pressing for open source and the rest of the team was pretty much against it. Now open source could be vital to the project's survival. Sure a lot more of it was probably a security issue, but it took a lot for the team to change its stance on open source and allow community another crack at it. I'm proud of them for doing so. But leave it to one of the forum trolls to twist my words around :rolleyes:

Herb'zta
11-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Hey Everyone.

Over the past few months we have noticed the intensity that once existed for SWG has dwindled to a near halt. We feel that this course of action will lead to the survival and continued success of the first and best Pre-Combat Upgrade Star-Wars Galaxies server.

Comments? Suggestions? Requests?

Post them here.

WHAT?

keep up the good work, give me a server to play and i´ll stay with ya guys till your server goes offline!!!

Herb'zta
11-25-2007, 12:31 PM
i just can´t wait to play again...

Volte
11-25-2007, 01:01 PM
This is just a slight question.

After this intial build is released to the public. Say someone got crafting working (i know abit far out but just a example) If the crafting was correct would SWGEMU update the build that they release so that the bazzar was included in the test build?

Ramsey
11-25-2007, 01:52 PM
What sort of documentation and/or tools are you all planning to release along with the software (if any) ? Any chance of getting a look at documentation while you prep the software for release?

We are preparing the documentation alongside the public version of the source. Both will be released simultaneously.

bigbenz
11-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Wait.... So you going to let people play the unfinished game? Arnt people playing the game right now on your server?........ Im excited for whats going on but when i think about it, it sounds like some sort of gimmick. Few questions...

Will crafting be in the open sorce?
Will it be a game people can play and save?
Will there be skills?
Will EMU host the only server?

I would rather wait 2 more years then lose all the player base because of a quick release. And i dont think there is anyone ready to host a server that can handle 2000 people. All the old server sites are dead. I think you need to rethink your plan.

You should find a host that is ready to host all the players on this site. All the tiny off shoots your going to make will break up the small base we have now.

Applecorc
11-25-2007, 02:29 PM
I would rather wait 2 more years then lose all the player base because of a quick release. And i dont think there is anyone ready to host a server that can handle 2000 people. All the old server sites are dead. I think you need to rethink your plan.

You should find a host that is ready to host all the players on this site. All the tiny off shoots your going to make will break up the small base we have now.

I find your lack of understanding disturbing.... what will be happening is well documented in this thread. Please read the entire thread before jumping to conclusions. However let me help you out by saying that everything you just posted is wrong. >_<

Emerzon
11-25-2007, 02:34 PM
However let me help you out by saying that everything you just posted is wrong. >_<

ouch..you bite hard lol

Seaseme
11-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Wait.... So you going to let people play the unfinished game? Arnt people playing the game right now on your server?........ Im excited for whats going on but when i think about it, it sounds like some sort of gimmick. Few questions...

Will crafting be in the open sorce?
Will there be skills?
Will EMU host the only server?

Will crafting be in the open source?
The packets and necessary and relative information will be there, but it will not be implemented. Someone will have to do that.
?
Will there be skills?
yes.
Will the EMU host the only server?
No.

and- there will be a user limit of 5 connections on the public version of core 3, to protect it from idiots.

Crix
11-25-2007, 03:23 PM
awesome guys. cant wait. thanks a ton, once more.

Gulkia
11-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Will any of the features promised on the former updates be on the public version of core3? (bazzars, Blue frogs, ect...)

gosh
11-25-2007, 04:52 PM
This is really great news. I admit, my hope of a SWG emu ever being finished while there were still people wanting to play, has been rather dented the past 6 months or so. I've been so pathetic to actually play the NGE (which is getting better, but still mostly ****) just to get my fix, as the wait for the emu just seems to get longer and longer with each passing month.

Anything to make this process happen sometime in the near future is a giant step in the right direction. While I'm a big enough geek to play whenever it's finished, the majority probably isn't. As others have mentioned, with some AAA mmo titles coming out this xmas season and soon after, the amount of players for an older title emu'd will dwindle. Add in the BioWare/LA possible mmo being worked on, the end of SWG is drawing very close imo. Would be nice if we could capture at least some of the old school comunity while they still give a **** about the game, and we all know Sony doesn't really give two ****s.

To be honest, I'd really love to see the different devs of the various swg emus being worked on to put some of the past behind them, and get together to pool some resources.

I have to say thanks for all the work your putting into this project. I can only imagine the monster amount of **** you guys have done, and had to put up with to make this happen, so thanks a ton. But this emu really needs to see the light of day outside of TC if it's going to catch on, and not be a waste of a giant chunk of your time. IMO anyways.

Chanson1
11-25-2007, 05:07 PM
It's nice to hear that the team will be adding more people to the cause.

Bilmi
11-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Go for it!!!! yhea!!!

Deej
11-25-2007, 05:45 PM
The packets and necessary and relative information will be there, but it will not be implemented. Someone will have to do that.
?
Will there be skills?
yes.
Will the EMU host the only server?
No.

and- there will be a user limit of 5 connections on the public version of core 3, to protect it from idiots.

by yes do you mean the little collection of skills enabled on TC or will Everything be enabled?

Chanson1
11-25-2007, 05:46 PM
From what I understand, everything that has been coded should work on there.

Deej
11-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Hopefully, but one last question for the shexy Dev's

What about NPC's? will those be in to be spawned static and randomly? or are those not included.

Arrin
11-25-2007, 08:14 PM
I truly believe that there will never be a good of game as pre-cu..

I also believe that if this emu was created it would last forever with the community constantly breathing life into it..
However if it takes to long to finish then people will probably lose interest and settle for something else...

Once the game is returned to the hands of the community the possibilities are limitless.

All though the past 2-3 years of development we really have lost a lot of the excitement and community..
I must admit that I am getting a bit tiresome of waiting, but I'm still here..
I'm sure that all this time we really have weeded out some of the less devoted people and are left with a rich thriving community, something to be very excited about the game might not be MASSIVE like we all might of hoped in the beginning but I am sure that with changes to the game we can bring in more players.. and more experiences.. so this time around it will be here to stay and it WILL be better then it was before.

Jodah-DancingStormtrooper
11-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Man, you guys are really an inspiration, thanks for all you're hard work, as a sign of appretiation, I shall never post another picture that has anything to do with phallicism, ever again.

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/film/lotrphallus.jpg

Except for like, that one.

Silco
11-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Wouldnt it be possible to change the player limit since it will be located in the code somewhere or is it one of those things where its in "Engine 3" which isn't editable?

BlazeHoliday
11-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Very Awesome news!

Van
11-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Wouldnt it be possible to change the player limit since it will be located in the code somewhere or is it one of those things where its in "Engine 3" which isn't editable?

They are limiting the amount of players so they don't have 300 servers pop up and it end up like Core1 all over again. That limit will be changed when there is a finished product..

Silco
11-26-2007, 02:25 PM
They are limiting the amount of players so they don't have 300 servers pop up and it end up like Core1 all over again. That limit will be changed when there is a finished product..

You are missing what I'm asking, I know why there limiting but I'm asking if it is possible to change it because somewhere in the code is where its going to say how many clients it will allow and if its in Core 3 then people can change the cap however Engine 3 isn't going open source and if its in Engine 3 then it can't be changed, I'm asking if the limit code is located in Core 3 or Engine 3

Van
11-26-2007, 02:51 PM

You are missing what I'm asking, I know why there limiting but I'm asking if it is possible to change it because somewhere in the code is where its going to say how many clients it will allow and if its in Core 3 then people can change the cap however Engine 3 isn't going open source and if its in Engine 3 then it can't be changed, I'm asking if the limit code is located in Core 3 or Engine 3

I'm sure there is, but it will be hidden nicely and encrypted. And I doubt they are going to give anymore details than what they have about it so far.

Xiox
11-26-2007, 02:54 PM
I actually thought of this a few days ago too.

I suppose it would be built in Engine 3, I'm sure that actual option will be in Core 3's code too but changing it won't do any good unless it's below 5. I'm sure later the engine 3 code sets the CAP of as many players core 3 is allowed to handle.. but if I were to set core 3's code to allow 6 players I'm sure there will be an error as the binaries launch or it will just ignore the 6th slot I told it to make and keep it at 5.

Just my theory.

Chanson1
11-26-2007, 03:18 PM
wheels within wheels

Seaseme
11-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Xiox- you simply can't put that into Core3. It requires engine to run, and engine controls the connections. Putting it into core 3 would just.. do nothing.

Lorrianna
11-26-2007, 06:47 PM

Pardon but could you clarify on this? I'm a Crafter and this shook me a little.

What do you mean the packs and such are "there" but won't be implmented..someone will have to do it?

I'm not sure what this means. It sounds like the the code is all ready, but the plan is not to implement it on the Test Server.

Please explain.

Seaseme
11-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Pardon but could you clarify on this? I'm a Crafter and this shook me a little.

What do you mean the packs and such are "there" but won't be implmented..someone will have to do it?

I'm not sure what this means. It sounds like the the code is all ready, but the plan is not to implement it on the Test Server.

Please explain.
The code is NOT ready. There is no code for it, besides what is on the dummy server. SOmeone will have to program crafting after we go open source. Like I said, we're putting all relevant and necessary packets and documentation in with OS.

Ekaika
11-26-2007, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't be too shaken Lorrianna. This news gives you and everyone a greater chance of seeing crafting completed sooner. It may sound like a step back, but it's potentially a great leap forward. :cool:

toilet_duck
11-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't be too shaken Lorrianna. This news gives you and everyone a greater chance of seeing crafting completed sooner. It may sound like a step back, but it's potentially a great leap forward. :cool:

QFE

aaronc7
11-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Hey, I don't post much (maybe first post even? I'm not sure), but just wanted to say thanks to the devs and all contributors for the ongoing work on this. I played swg back in the day, probably not as hardcore as many here, but I still really enjoyed it and would love to 'have the old SWG back'. Thanks again for all the time and hard work. I think the move to open it up to the public and allow all to help is a good move and probably the only way if this is ever going to get done.

Lorrianna
11-26-2007, 08:14 PM
The code is NOT ready. There is no code for it, besides what is on the dummy server. SOmeone will have to program crafting after we go open source. Like I said, we're putting all relevant and necessary packets and documentation in with OS.

Ok I'm tracking now. Thanks for the quick clarification on that.

/bow

Richard
11-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the news, the idea sounds well organized and promising. A have a few questions for start:

1. Will opensource developers be able to use Linux environment since the first opensource release?
2. Is UML used for design? If not, what is?

The connection limit will drive more focus to getting the crtical features taken care of.
3. Good idea, but why exactly 5? Maybe a limit equal to max size of player group + 1 might be better so we can test some issues connected with groups?

Oru
11-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the news, the idea sounds well organized and promising. A have a few questions for start:

1. Will opensource developers be able to use Linux environment since the first opensource release?

definitely. it's been compiled against a lot of *nix platforms succesfuly, the only thing we have to do is provide Engine3 libs for all that you guys need.

2. Is UML used for design? If not, what is?

initally when we designed the server architecture we of course used UML however we really had no time to design all the code since. i was thinking about to run one of the reversing tool on the code though.
3. Good idea, but why exactly 5? Maybe a limit equal to max size of player group + 1 might be better so we can test some issues connected with groups?
when we need such a large scale test we better do it on the TC

badfish
11-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Good work Devs :)

bluth
11-27-2007, 11:06 AM
can't get it to work.. is there a server up to try it ?

Prestigius
11-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Here's an idea. Make a sign-up sheet for people to tell you what they want to work on. For those interested in crafting, they can collaborate. Same with quests, etc. That way you can minimize overlapping or contradictory effort.

Theoderean
11-27-2007, 01:06 PM
richards first post since dec 2006... nice.

Jongo
11-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Good idea letting the community aid in helping you guys.

Keep up the good work.

Dakkide
11-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Good News folks. And good luck. Will be nice to see a Real Galaxies return to the community.
Dakkide

cable-odinson
11-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Keep it coming SWG-emu team. Cant wait for EMU to rock full fat style !! ..lol

aaronc7
11-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Here's an idea. Make a sign-up sheet for people to tell you what they want to work on. For those interested in crafting, they can collaborate. Same with quests, etc. That way you can minimize overlapping or contradictory effort.

I was thinking that too. Maybe even start up groups to work on certain areas, rather than everything just starting from scratch and doing everything their own way.

bryaniselement
11-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Yep good job

Faranox
11-27-2007, 05:56 PM
I would like to make a request:

More Mandalorian.

Thank you, and keep up the Great Work!

Tolbat
11-27-2007, 08:13 PM
I really like what you guys are doing here, and I damn sure appreciate it also.

That said I really like the idea of having different DEV teams focus on different things such as crafting, jedi, pvp, quests ect.

The community could also be involved with this by adding Development forums for things that are currently in the works.

Ideas, comments ect could be posted directly to these teams so they can see what the majority wants.

The new devs could also recruit said forum members to help them test what they have worked on.

Not only would this keep intrest alive it would allow everyone to participate, even those that cannot code.

I know we may not be quite to this point in development but eventually we will so setting it up now may be a good idea..

thoughts....

pieman888
11-27-2007, 08:19 PM
I really like what you guys are doing here, and I damn sure appreciate it also.

That said I really like the idea of having different DEV teams focus on different things such as crafting, jedi, pvp, quests ect.

The community could also be involved with this by adding Development forums for things that are currently in the works.

Ideas, comments ect could be posted directly to these teams so they can see what the majority wants.

The new devs could also recruit said forum members to help them test what they have worked on.

Not only would this keep intrest alive it would allow everyone to participate, even those that cannot code.

I know we may not be quite to this point in development but eventually we will so setting it up now may be a good idea..

thoughts....

i think that SWG EMU will loose a lot of supporters because of the time that it is taking to complete the emulator, this is a good idea to get people involved but who can they trust and will we just get in their way?

Tolbat
11-27-2007, 08:49 PM
i think that SWG EMU will loose a lot of supporters because of the time that it is taking to complete the emulator, this is a good idea to get people involved but who can they trust and will we just get in their way?

I agree

We would probably get in the way right now but as things progress we could impliment this. At the very least the teams could post what thry are currently working on and if they want suggestions they could ask for suggestions. I think keeping as much in the open as possible at this point is the way to go.

but its just a thought.

pieman888
11-27-2007, 09:10 PM
i think the emu needs to be releaced as soon as possible so that when it does get released people will still be interested, we are all talking about how big our servers should be but can we even populate one small server. i think the DEV team needs some help. not that they are not doing a good job, but a slow job. it is quality material and we thank them but will it be worth it?

YES!!!!!

wonderwond
11-27-2007, 09:21 PM
VERY WELL SAID EVERYONE !

I agree, keeping the public interested should be #1

without the public swgemu would only do good for the ones making it .even when it came out originally by sony, they advertised, kept people up to date on information.etc

just like with anything in the world,keep the public wanting it and youll be on top !!!

without the want it dies.
without domand its gonna just sit there.

but granted you gain acomplishment for creating it and the satisfaction of saying i helped make that happen. but now what?

pieman888
11-27-2007, 09:26 PM
without the community there would be no guilds, there would be NO PVP! credits would be worth nothing, items would be meaningless.

we need the EMU, fullfill our dreams of having our glorious game back!

Chanson1
11-28-2007, 12:09 PM
without the community there would be no guilds, there would be NO PVP! credits would be worth nothing, items would be meaningless.

well said.

Prestigius
11-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Devs,
We know that just because we don't get constant updates, it doesn't mean you aren't doing anything. Just remember that just because some of us aren't on the forums or ig all the time, it doesn't mean the interest has dwindled. We are patient, we are watching, we are letting you do your job, and we are still behind you 100%

Ekowraith
11-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Devs,
We know that just because we don't get constant updates, it doesn't mean you aren't doing anything. Just remember that just because some of us aren't on the forums or ig all the time, it doesn't mean the interest has dwindled. We are patient, we are watching, we are letting you do your job, and we are still behind you 100%

This is the position of all of my SWG friends. Very well said.

Raghy
11-28-2007, 04:15 PM
i really would like you guys to at least include instruments, in the starting kit on the tc, i mean, as starter items

DeCastro
11-28-2007, 05:05 PM

Amen.

Davickk
11-28-2007, 06:02 PM
any idea when you guys will be realsing code? and what is the link to the devwiki?

Catonelionheart
11-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Devs,

I've had a username for this forum for a little while now and never had a real reason to post that often. The above Quote describes myself and I'm sure many others directly to the point, and could not have been worded any better. There are those of us that are behide the devs working on this project 100%, and stay updated to the best of our ability, and at the same time to not wish to get in the way. Sure I wish I could contribute to this, however I know its over my head so I stay out of the way and read when information is posted.

Anyway, the point of my long winded post is to point out that yes, the people are still out here, still supporting the SWG EMU. And as long as the few jackasses out there that would abuse their work don't screw this up, releasing whats complete should be a great step toward the finish line.

kanechart
11-29-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm confused and don't want to sound greedy :) But for years I have ran private servers for fun through my collage and on the net. I wanted know if this would mean the project open for people like me to run my own server or the way being released just to work on part of the core but still not able to run a server.

Heck maybe I can now not sure hehe back when I first joined it was closed source with no bins. There was no way run a server at all.

So I guess my question is can we run our own server now?

Chanson1
11-29-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm confused and don't want to sound greedy :) But for years I have ran private servers for fun through my collage and on the net. I wanted know if this would mean the project open for people like me to run my own server or the way being released just to work on part of the core but still not able to run a server.

Heck maybe I can now not sure hehe back when I first joined it was closed source with no bins. There was no way run a server at all.

So I guess my question is can we run our own server now?

No, and the FAQ is a wonderful place to find all of the answers to any questions that you may have. :cool:

SunZU
11-30-2007, 08:01 AM
So basically, it will take years to complete with just the 4 of you working on it and by then anyone who is still left won't be interested in playing the game anymore - as a result, you've decided to release it open source in the hopes of some devs actually picking it up and completing it before everyone simply loses interest in it all together - correct?

Is that what's happening more or less?

Prestigius
11-30-2007, 09:49 AM
The devs said recently they were thinking about putting a quest creation tool together. Anyone know if that is being worked on now that open source is coming back?

And did they say LUA will not be used? I'm just asking here because I lack the caffeine-induced motivation it requires to search the rest of the forums for the answer this early in the morning.

sasan
11-30-2007, 12:21 PM
nice update!!!!

TankGun
11-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Nice to hear that more people can now help out to speed up development.

Tolbat
11-30-2007, 03:50 PM
any new news?

Hopefully good....

Khamal Jolstien
11-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Haven't heard anything. Just waiting for the source to be released and an SVN to be setup.

whhs41
11-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I love you all and have faith in you. Give me back my SWG!

rogelio11
12-01-2007, 03:07 AM
sweet update, guys!

Memoti
12-01-2007, 10:53 AM
props to you guys!!

jOyriDe
12-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Congratulations to the team and a few well deserved pat on the backs for you guys.

I have seen some people want to know what programming knowledge is needed to assist in the project, and I was also wondering the same thing. So if that could be answered that would be swell.

Again, great update, and great job guys. Very impressed with the professionalism used in your replys!

Davickk
12-01-2007, 03:00 PM
i got a question does this mean we will be able to run our own private servers? and just mess around on them with a couple friends when you guys realase the code?

Seaseme
12-01-2007, 03:22 PM
i got a question does this mean we will be able to run our own private servers? and just mess around on them with a couple friends when you guys realase the code?
Indeed it does.

Deltus
12-01-2007, 04:15 PM
thats not bad

Saromus
12-01-2007, 05:19 PM
wow ive missed alot, i havent been on my comp for almost an eternity since halo 3 came out, ive been playing assassins creed, halo 3 and cod 4 and some guitar hero 3, but i log on and glad to see that swgemu has made alot of progress.

I have a question tho. I've read through the whole thread and saw you made a few posts saying the team is going through security measures, last minute things etc, is there an ETA on when you'll be "committing" the Source Code, or is that still unknown?

Gulkia
12-02-2007, 02:00 AM
any news?

pieman888
12-02-2007, 02:28 AM
errm read the first page. lol

Je44567
12-02-2007, 04:08 AM
No offense, but your friends are lazy. When you register, you are told to read the FAQ. If your friends would have taken five minutes to read the FAQ like they should have, they wouldn't have been met with "stuck-up" behavior. People get angry when they spend an hour and a half explaining how set up IRC and write out a FAQ and some jacknob comes in and asks "What is IRC?" "Can I play" "Is this free? "Whats NGE?"

Exactly the attitude he is talking about. I frankly don't care I am patient. However my roomate looked into emu about a year ago and I don't know the details were but he was like I don't care what they do those guys are ****s. So it is definitly not an isolated incident. Can you amagine a developer asking about an upcomming game like the LA/bio thing and they are met with piss off. I know this is a labor of love kinda thing but still deals with the public. I have heard this comment alot on other forums.

Seaseme
12-02-2007, 04:12 AM
the code will be commited perhaps later today.

pieman888
12-02-2007, 04:18 AM
yeh but there are a lot of noobs out there and the letters FAQ organised in that fashion dont seem to be recognised in their brains.

Seaseme
12-02-2007, 04:22 AM
yeh but there are a lot of noobs out there and the letters FAQ organised in that fashion dont seem to be recognised in their brains.
and?

Applecorc
12-02-2007, 10:56 AM

/cant_wait :)

Saromus
12-02-2007, 01:17 PM

sweet, cant wait to see all the hard work you've guys put into this

ultimazor
12-02-2007, 02:06 PM
This is amazing news guys! Hope the work involved in setting up the system hasn't burnt you out!!

Andewa
12-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Exactly the attitude he is talking about. I frankly don't care I am patient. However my roomate looked into emu about a year ago and I don't know the details were but he was like I don't care what they do those guys are ****s. So it is definitly not an isolated incident. Can you amagine a developer asking about an upcomming game like the LA/bio thing and they are met with piss off. I know this is a labor of love kinda thing but still deals with the public. I have heard this comment alot on other forums.

Reading the FAQ is part of the forum rules.

Edit: It is actually the first rule.

StormZ
12-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Will the devs be releasing all the things they have done/partially done on the TC so they can be built off of or will they still be kept on the private servers?

Chanson1
12-02-2007, 03:20 PM
I'd like to see everything that is done as of right now on Test Center, because I'd like to begin bug testing it.

Maswill
12-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Ah great news, Keep it up, Looks like the Emu's making steady progress uphill, Can't wait to get playing this game when its up and going, it's gonna be great, the community is already awsome using Forum's alone!

Maswill
12-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Ah great news, Keep it up, Looks like the Emu's making steady progress uphill, Can't wait to get playing this game when its up and going, it's gonna be great, the community is already awsome using Forum's alone!

Can't wait to recreate my old pre-CU character and serve the glorious Empire once more! :emperor:

Chanson1
12-02-2007, 03:44 PM
i find it interesting that this thread has been viewed more than 25,000 + times :-D