PDA

View Full Version : 12/17/07 BiWeekly Wrapup

Ramsey
12-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Well its been a crazy 2 weeks since going open source, and we've made some impressive strides. People are now beginning to understand and generate some impressive code. I'd like to start off and mention some of the community code contributions in development and submitted, over the past 2 weeks.

1) Resource Manager (kyle). kyle has been very active on the opendev irc channel and I know he is really making an effort to fully understand the innerworkings of core3. He is currently working on the Resource Manager which will eventually manage all resources done on the server. This is a big job and will not be something done overnight, but its nice to see him make an effort in this area of development.

2) Surveying (Ritter). Ritter has show me some of his work and he has done a phenomenal job of jumping right into the dirty packet work. Surveying is entirely possible to finish by the next Update, or even before.

3) Planet Map SQL locations (various). I have been tracking the contributions people have made in this area, and it was very nice to see so many people take interest and finish the majority of the planets at record speed. It's impossible to credit an individual for the progress made here, so I'd like everyone to at least glance at their topic over at the Open Source Development Forum. Mabye there's something you can do :)

4) Looting Discussion (http://swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7366) & Loot Forum (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)

5) Packet Documentation. I am hoping to bring major portions of the packet documentation online in our trac packet wiki. Now that a lot of people are starting to understand the code, this should be extremely beneficial in getting some of the newer features to work. As for the Clustering article expansion, I was thinking of using our JTL stuff as a base for some of that :D

6) TRN/Heightmap Progress: I've made some major strides in researching TRN files, and right now its just down to figuring out some of the Fractal Affectors.

I'd also like to shed some attention to our financial status. In order to develop an SWGEmu precu server, we need to collect data from our live TC server. Unfortunately, people just haven't been donating. Please see this topic (http://swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?p=132760) (click) for more info.

Seaseme
12-17-2007, 07:00 PM
FIRST!@

Oh yeah, thanks to everyone who have contributed so far. Awesome work!!

praxi34
12-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Woot well done guys. Yeah the planetmaps was a very interesting and quite fun task.

2nd! :)

Zar
12-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Awesome work as usual guys. :)

Ekaika
12-17-2007, 07:23 PM
My contributions will be financial...but nonetheless all of this is super exciting. We won't die!

zetlaux
12-17-2007, 07:24 PM
w00t!

heynow
12-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Thats what im talkin about, glad to see progress is being made...i donated as well today. Keep up the good work and Happy Holidays!

hakry
12-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Well, its looking good and it was definitely a good idea going open source and it looks to be that there is a lot that is promising with that. I made a small contribution to the donations and hopefully everyone does cause if there is 100 people that donate 2 dollars thats 200 dollars. Then the other people that will do 5 or even 10 bucks.

Emerzon
12-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Great job team..this is great news.

Andewa
12-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Alright!

toro45
12-17-2007, 08:19 PM
awsome, good job as always this thing is comming along good:)

Sti1garWormrider
12-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Its awesome to see so many different people coming together and helping one another for the benefit of all. I have been lurking #opendev, but its all over my head, nonetheless, I have noticed many different people helping others and contributing ideas.....Keep up the good work!!!

Ritter
12-17-2007, 08:48 PM
I rock. Oh wait, awesome job everyone!

foreverzero
12-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Great work thus far..ive been wanting to start putting some time into programming some of the stuff but finals at college have kept me to busy. Hopefully over winter break i can start digging into the scripts.

Also will this stuff be makin it to TC or is this just a sort of closed update?

Red River
12-17-2007, 09:26 PM
I rock. Oh wait, awesome job everyone!

nice to see a fellar browncoat in here :)

awesome work ppl! keep it up.

Seaseme
12-17-2007, 09:49 PM
nice to see a fellar browncoat in here :)

awesome work ppl! keep it up.
OOOOH OHHHH me tooo!

Pulsegpg
12-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Great work guys i've been following for so long seems like things are truly taking shape.

Raghy
12-17-2007, 11:23 PM
great work everyone, hope this means it will get done way faster

uenako
12-17-2007, 11:41 PM
So far it sounds like it's "best case scenerio" on the decision to open up the code. Great work guys !!

Grija
12-18-2007, 01:45 AM
good news, great job as always

onkel
12-18-2007, 02:53 AM
Awesome progress, great work everyone. :)

Wish I could help with coding or anything, but since I suck, my contribution will be in the form of cash.

El vado
12-18-2007, 03:11 AM
Sweet life just gets better and better. I wish I could do some coding but oh well.

Thanks anyway everyone! :D

Dreads
12-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Well done everyone! :D

DavinFelth
12-18-2007, 11:04 AM
OOOOH OHHHH me tooo!

AND ME!!!!

P.S. Yay for Core3 updates!!!

shoto
12-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Hello SWGemu community, and Developers.

Might I make a suggestion?

While the development of this project continues to make progress, it feels as though we are loosing members. The donations are a direct sign as to the truth of this. While it is great to see a bunch of intelligent people talking about stuff, like Core3 and Heightmaps - I don't think many of us really understand it - and don't care that much.

My suggestion is to give the testers a sense of purpose on the test center. All you'd need to do is simply re-arrange it. Put Ims on one side, rebs on another side, and you're good to go.

Right now it's just a mess, running in the TC and there is nothing to do. How many times can you kill a krayt dragon for nothing? However, placing a Krayt dragon in middle of the Rebs/Imps would give a sense of pride, and purpose.

I'm confident our numbers will rise up.

Oru
12-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Hello SWGemu community, and Developers.
Right now it's just a mess, running in the TC and there is nothing to do. How many times can you kill a krayt dragon for nothing? However, placing a Krayt dragon in middle of the Rebs/Imps would give a sense of pride, and purpose.pretty good idea actually, we can make something like the stormie farm was on corellia. spawn rebel and imperial npcs on two sides of AH and set their patrol points in the middle :) shouldn't take too long to make it

very basic looting shouldn't take too long to implement as well, have to wait a little though till a more complete item management is done to put a real reason to do it

rhyeal
12-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Great work to all those guys who have helped over the past week. Especially great work to those amazing members who got packets for Ritter for surveying and sampling :)

Really, good job to everyone who helped to send in packets, code, or otherwise lend a hand to the Dev team these past two weeks. I know that I will be donating some money once I have it, but until then, I will be lending a hand on the side of packet collecting and dirty work.

For what its worth, I can say that our TC has a more vibrant community right now than the live servers and we are advancing at a very fast pace. I have seen only a bit of what is happening due to my packet collecting, but I can tell you that we have some genius developers and open source coders who are working on this project. If you want to know what is happening and want a reason to donate, just go to the Open Source forum, read it a bit, then check out the wiki. You will realize that things are moving at a very fast pace now.

Keep it up! :D

kandah
12-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Great news guys and gals, I just cant wait!!!!

Pake
12-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Great news, and I am very glad to see how well the community pitches in. :D

shoto
12-18-2007, 05:20 PM
pretty good idea actually, we can make something like the stormie farm was on corellia. spawn rebel and imperial npcs on two sides of AH and set their patrol points in the middle :) shouldn't take too long to make it

very basic looting shouldn't take too long to implement as well, have to wait a little though till a more complete item management is done to put a real reason to do it

Thanks Oru.

I'm confident this will bring some attention to us. No body views a bunch of guys talking as progress.

Let's give them something to show them!

Vastor
12-18-2007, 07:26 PM
pretty good idea actually, we can make something like the stormie farm was on corellia. spawn rebel and imperial npcs on two sides of AH and set their patrol points in the middle :) shouldn't take too long to make it

Just that simple addition would make all the difference to testers lol. Thank you.

voltrox
12-18-2007, 07:33 PM
I have dath populated on my TC. Most of the major creature types as LUAs and a similar static spawn setup as on tat. I also put a couple hundred really mean nightsisters at the nightsister POIs :)

Maybe I'll upload it as a patch, it's a heck of a lot more fun than tat.

toilet_duck
12-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Yay for progress! Let's keep at it, guys.

Endless/Arnic
12-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Great to hear, How crafting comming along? I'm really interested to know.

Andewa
12-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Great to hear, How crafting comming along? I'm really interested to know.

From what I can tell, they have been working on packets involving surveying/sampling. And writing code needed for Random Resource Names.

Feel free to correct me.

StormZ
12-19-2007, 10:33 AM
glad to hear everything is moving along well. Good job everyone who contributed!

mapiasal
12-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Great work on getting this far.

I'll help out anyway I can to get this running. :) Cant do any kind of coding if I tried, but i always have a little extra money lying around.

Drakemoore
12-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Superb work guys.

Ult
12-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Magnifico! You're doing a great job everyone.

By the way, is all the browncoat business something to do with Firefly? I was curious and so i googled it and Firefly came up. I've never seen it.

Inkanta12-lolz
12-19-2007, 06:50 PM
FIRST!@

Oh yeah, thanks to everyone who have contributed so far. Awesome work!!

Rofl, a admin sayingn first, thats a new one :D

Thanks guys, You guys are geniuses

Waiko
12-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Magnifico! You're doing a great job everyone.

By the way, is all the browncoat business something to do with Firefly? I was curious and so i googled it and Firefly came up. I've never seen it.

Yes it is and you should check it out.

'nother Browncoat

Ekowraith
12-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Rofl, a admin sayingn first, thats a new one

nope

apowerr
12-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Wow, great work devs and community!

shoto
12-21-2007, 09:59 AM
So Ulty, any word on that TC plot for NPC and player interaction?

Tolbat
12-22-2007, 01:25 AM
Merry Christmas!

I some money to spare and you deserve it more than me.

The OG Tolbat

Magus Schneider
12-22-2007, 08:35 AM
thx and merry xmas!!!

agentoo8
12-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Very good job!
I will definitely donate, it's CHRISTMASSSS

jonaku
12-22-2007, 12:38 PM
donated $10 via paypal to the cause. you guys rock. merry christmas & happy new year.

Raghy
12-22-2007, 11:11 PM
it's the 23rd today, x-mas here is the 24th, in sweden, which happen to be my birthday, im turning 19 tomorrow (the 24'th)