SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:59 AM

People shouldnt be scared to post. Most of the posters here are pretty friendly, especially towards new members with legit questions. The only time i see hardcore flaming is when people ask questions that are IN the FAQ.

Other then that I think the community is pretty fair to the newer members. This is the internet people. No real reason to be scared to post or say something. If someone doesnt like your idea. Screw em, its your idea and everyone has them, regardless if everyone agrees.

just my 2 cents.

But I will agree, I think progress updates once a week, even if very minimal and/or short. Just a little bit of info goes a long way to people who look here everyday.

All in all though I personally think you (ramsey) and the folks working on the project have been doin a great job communicating...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG-EightyEight View Post
I think progress updates once a week, even if very minimal and/or short. Just a little bit of info goes a long way to people who look here everyday.
*nod nod*

I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to your IRC channel. The first time I joined it there was a rather... disturbing discussion taking place. But with so many members here I can see how difficult it must be keeping things under control.

But I think you're doing a good job with everything else.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:00 PM

Let people discuss things

Let people freely discuss their opinions and observations. If someone comes onto the general discussion board and posts something like, oh I don't know, say "Not everyone wants to be a Jedi" then just let them keep their post up for more then 30 minutes before one of you deletes it because "you didn't find it useful."

In America we have freedom of speech. On the SWGEMU forums, we have had a
totalitarian society run by seemingly adolescent bigots. That sounds very harsh but that is the reality that a lot of people saw when they came here. Things have changed, and I have noticed it. A lot of people still come here but won't post and most certainly won't donate because they might be afraid of the communist regime's imminent return. I know that I am.

So, solution? Keep up the good work and the good attitudes, and your community will build. But your reputation precedes you now, and it is hard work to get people to trust in something once that trust has been pulverized into dust.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:23 AM

I've only read the first 6-8 pages of the thread. And I don't have time to read it all tonight. But I have a couple of thoughts based on the responses I've seen.

Someone recommended more of a full scale forum with a breakdown for each class, etc. Something more proactive toward getting community involvement in the development process would be to open new forum sections related to what is being worked on, or what is coming up soon in the task list for the devs. It will serve a dual purpose of updating the community on progress, while reviving some relevant information from the dead horses of the previous forums we've had.

When I don't have time to keep up with the updates, I often wish that the first reply was reserved as the place to update the overall status of the thread. Especially when I'm just starting to read one that is over 10 pages long. When I only have to 'view first unread' from a day or two ago it's easy.

As far as dealing with the innevitable noob questions, maybe we the community need to be replying to their messages with a prefab list of links to the faq and good stickies in the forums to redirect them. Many of us would be glad to add a recommended reading list to our sigs so that we can give them a friendly Welcome and point them to the FAQ and the update section for instance. I've seen some people do this already.

I'm not going back and reading the FAQ atm. One reason is that when I click on it on the home page, or the top of this page, I end up at a screen to search the FAQ. My wife had trouble finding it for the same reason. I could find it again if I really cared to dig around and remember where it is. But I don't right now. Now to my point: If the FAQ is anything but bullet point comments most people won't actually read it. They'll skim detailed instructions and thoroughly miss the point too. I have a very detailed document (with summaries for each section even) that I have to rewrite at work for this reason. A bullet point version of information in the forum account creation might get across to more of the people. I have my doubts. But it might. Especially if it only addresses minimal points. eg, "The EMU is still being created. We do not know when it will be finished. Please read the FAQ and Update sections for more information." A good short sticky in the Introductions forum might be a good idea too. Making the FAQ link in the blue bar at the top of the page go to the actual FAQ might remove some confusion as well. And if you don't know what link I'm talking about try this, http://www.swgemu.com/forums/faq.php I've read posts where people argued with new members who didn't find the FAQ because they followed that link. And that is the FAQ link a new member is going to spot first.

I'll try to finish reading this thread in a couple of days in order to be fully up to speed with it. My apologies if I've repeated suggestions. And thanks for all the hard work.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:32 AM

After Core3 has been developed, and it satisfies the necessities of the game, I would like to know what elements of Pre-CU are going to be included to constitute a first release of the Emu.

As in, the entire game just minus the Jedi? Or pretty much the entire game minus player cities as well? Dungeons? All mobs? Some quests?

This is what I'm in the dark with. I am perfectly fine with a bare bones first release. Specifically meaning, I would be very happy with all starting, elite (minus Shipwright) and hybrid professions working, vehicles (or just creature mounts), npc profession trainers, mission terminal spawns, resource shifts, resource extractors being enabled, dynamic world mob spawns, and guild halls being able to make guilds exist.

Now, to me, that's already a very tall order. And again, I would be very happy with that being a first release.

All JTL elemnts, Jedi, dungeons (as in Geo Cave, Deathwatch Bunker, the Warren, and the like), and quests could be added in later just as SOE added things in through updates as and when you Dev's complete them.

But, I don't know what you Dev's have decided on for a first release yet. I could even do without some of the game elements I mentioned and be happy with a first release.

I would like to know what's been discussed and set to be in the first release. And then with whatever has been decided to be in the first release, have those elements talked about on the weekly or bi-weekly updates for the community. Their progress, priorities of importance, things like that.

Last edited by Klanagh; 03-30-2007 at 02:37 AM.
Closed Thread