SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 09:09 AM

(obviously the dl won't be maxed out when having those types of programs on 24/7, but trust me, 100Mbit/s upload is not enough)

things might be different on the country-side here, but ppl have been able to get 1Gbit connections for many many years now in the capital where I live.

It's the consumer's market over here, if it's not good enough ppl change to another ISP, the infra-structure is already there, so they can't charge more for it than the other companies and claim that they're faster, so it's all about which company is the cheapest.

Obviously there are exceptions, some ppl might live too far away from the center of the city to have access to the city-net, forcing them to use DSL, cable etc instead of fiber... but if you're in the city-net you just need to pop in your LAN cable, pick the provider you want to use and the speed you wish to pay for and you're done.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNode View Post
things might be different on the country-side here, but ppl have been able to get 1Gbit connections for many many years now in the capital where I live.
Gigabit fiber to a home is almost unheard of in the US (actually, fiber to the home at any speed is still fairly rare). Consumer connections exceed 50mbps down and 10-20 up in only very isolated areas of the country -- and I do mean isolated; we're not talking about a few major cities, we're talking about some towns that have done their own municipal loops.

It wouldn't matter, though. Fiber is not magical. It's extremely high-capacity, but it's every bit as vulnerable to outages as copper wire.
Closed Thread