SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Developer Chat Logs

Notices

Developer Chat Logs Once a month, on the second Saturday, at 7PM EST, we will hold an open Developer discussion on IRC. The logs from these chats will be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:32 PM

Obviously the devs and admins have decided differently. It's not something that they just turned on and forgot about... it's a necessary part of the the development of the server software - as any live server in operation will need the anti-exploit tools just as much as the server software.

While primary development is focused on a separate branch (OR) and not being actively tested on Nova, now is a great time to work on other aspects of the project, like these tools.

Decisions like this will be made on what's best for development, and the devs have a pretty good handle on what the needs of development call for.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer View Post
Obviously the devs and admins have decided differently. It's not something that they just turned on and forgot about... it's a necessary part of the the development of the server software - as any live server in operation will need the anti-exploit tools just as much as the server software.

While primary development is focused on a separate branch (OR) and not being actively tested on Nova, now is a great time to work on other aspects of the project, like these tools.

Decisions like this will be made on what's best for development, and the devs have a pretty good handle on what the needs of development call for.
The point I think you're missing is, no one is saying there shouldn't be rubberbanding, or that anti-hack fixes shouldn't be developed. We're saying it doesn't have to happen NOW. Live servers wont be out for a long, long time. And the TC's gonna be wiped in the end ANYWAYS, these fixes simply are not necessary at the present time. All they do is inhibit the communities ability to play and test, which overall slows down the project as bugs are slower to be found.

There simply is just no viable reason to keep the rubberbanding. It's broken, it makes everyone pissed, it inhibits testing, all to prevent a pretty harmless hack used on a server that's going to be wiped. If you can somehow justify this, you should go into politics because you can spin even the most retarded situations
Old 10-25-2009, 05:46 PM

Colt's last statement reminds me of Hideo Kojima.

On another note, considering we have to run about just about anywhere (Since dear GOD I used the shuttleport once and I swear it ripped me off 3k credits), as we're without vehicles, speed hacking could even be of benefit, if only to move around.

Pulls flame shield up.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merak Bashee View Post
Colt's last statement reminds me of Hideo Kojima.

On another note, considering we have to run about just about anywhere (Since dear GOD I used the shuttleport once and I swear it ripped me off 3k credits), as we're without vehicles, speed hacking could even be of benefit, if only to move around.

Pulls flame shield up.
While speed hacking being something to be encouraged (at the moment) is certainly controversial, that should be up to the individual player and his ethics. In the end speed hacking should just be ignored at the moment, there's simply bigger concerns that need addressing. Speed hacking, and all hacking, should be dealt with when the game is in a more stable condition and closer to release.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-556 View Post
While speed hacking being something to be encouraged (at the moment) is certainly controversial, that should be up to the individual player and his ethics. In the end speed hacking should just be ignored at the moment, there's simply bigger concerns that need addressing. Speed hacking, and all hacking, should be dealt with when the game is in a more stable condition and closer to release.
Tell that to the people who would instantly start QQ'ing about speedhackers once the prevention was removed. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. And the Slice is always cheaper from the other side of the Fence's mood....be a good customer.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
Tell that to the people who would instantly start QQ'ing about speedhackers once the prevention was removed. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. And the Slice is always cheaper from the other side of the Fence's mood....be a good customer.
I'd tell them to shut their mouths and gtfo. A few people speed-hacking and getting jedi a day before me is preferable to spending weeks not being able to do jack all. If they're really so vain as to care that someone got jedi, on a test server, that's going to be wiped, because they hacked. They really should be ignored.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-556 View Post
I'd tell them to shut their mouths and gtfo. A few people speed-hacking and getting jedi a day before me is preferable to spending weeks not being able to do jack all. If they're really so vain as to care that someone got jedi, on a test server, that's going to be wiped, because they hacked. They really should be ignored.
And the cycle would continue.
Closed Thread