SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 04:21 PM

I agree, community is the key to a successful EMU.

But what we need is better forums. I have to say, these are not the best and they could be better. Maybe some new forums and a new layout/skin for the forums which i could help out with if needed.

Iehif.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legoklas View Post
Okay Ramsey hear out.
This forum was very active before you devs started to interfering with the communitys relations, no offense, but you devs are litterally scaring the living crap out of ous.
Especially when Ultyma had a "Ban everyone who disagrees with me" Rampage, and when he changed peoples posts with "Yeah i suck" "Iam gay" "Iam sorry Ultyma for being such a **** sucker" simply just becuse they disagreed with him or becuse they got sick of hes ban rampages.
Maybe iam the only one who feels like this, but i doubt it.
Hmm, he's been quiet. And I don't want to defend the people either because inevitably I'll be next. Now I know how people in some other countries feel.

I think with little minigame type events at the next stress test or every so many nights with scores posted, I think it'll do wonders at making a community.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:46 PM

Well, I would love to be able to add NPC live to player cities

Remove the citizenship restricitons for cities (give option to do better), this would allow people to create new non player cities

Have no idea on what is espected from entertainers and what can they do now, couldn't find the info...

Allow people not to be limited to 250 Skill points, one of the good things of late SWG was that politician did not take SP...

Post NGE additions will be playable? think rage of wookies was post NGe, as well as ben trials... I know htey are for new jedis, but the planets, locations, and all that would be nice to be usable

Basically I'm new to the forum, and I get lost at the overwhelming nuber of threads, I feel there's not enought 'swgemu for dummies' threads so I kinda wait for to be finished and have a nifty readme
Old 03-30-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydement View Post
Well, I would love to be able to add NPC live to player cities

Remove the citizenship restricitons for cities (give option to do better), this would allow people to create new non player cities

Have no idea on what is espected from entertainers and what can they do now, couldn't find the info...

Allow people not to be limited to 250 Skill points, one of the good things of late SWG was that politician did not take SP...

Post NGE additions will be playable? think rage of wookies was post NGe, as well as ben trials... I know htey are for new jedis, but the planets, locations, and all that would be nice to be usable

Basically I'm new to the forum, and I get lost at the overwhelming nuber of threads, I feel there's not enought 'swgemu for dummies' threads so I kinda wait for to be finished and have a nifty readme

rage of the wookies was CU, trials of obi wan was NGE.

i would love to see both these planets implimented into a pre CU server, it would give that much more content to the game. ok i understand that with both rage and trials all the new quests were xp driven, and to change that would mean completly rewriting the code behind the quest, but it would be cool to see.

i do think some work needs to be done on the forums, like maybe get the rough timetable back in place so when you say you are working on such a thing people would be able to look and see roughly what is left to do, ok that will never relate to how long it will take to do it but it would give some idea.

like many of you out there i played SWG from just after beta, i had a pre CU jedi, i was close to getting my jedi pre pub 9, i loved the game back then, and cant wait to start playing the emu, i have told everyone i know that played the game back when i did and some that didnt about it, but the main question i keep getting and cannot answer is when will it be finished/go live, i would love to have some idea myself, i understand that even the simple things can take a very long time to sort out, it would just be cool to know that maybe by cristmas we will all be playing the game we all know and love in the way we all know and love.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:06 PM

i would try help but the problem is i dont know any of these commands your using for the testing and i wasnt about pre cu i was only pre nge
Old 03-30-2007, 06:09 PM

i agree. each time someone posts an OPINION they get flamed. i stopped due to the nasty immuture comments i received from certain few. who wants to read that ..not me. as a community we should all stick together like a brotherhood or what ever you call it. we all are here for the same reason...to get back to the real swg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILJUDE View Post
agreed, to have a successfull community, we all need to learn to, as both ramsey and thadec put it, stop flaming people and help each other out. now, i dont' mean this in the context of spell out each thing when someone asks "how do I setup the EMU" but atleast point them in the right direction. I myself, have spoken to quite a few people on Lowca about the EMU, to see who knows about it, who is coming over to this side of the fence, and I see alot who are worried about the legality of it (even tho I try to explain it), others who are happy with the NGE, and those that who have already are here. some question the ability of it being able to be done (again, I tell them of how much progress has already been made). any one of my other friends who used to play I am no longer in touch with cause they left and I have no other means to get in contact with them. now, as far as the server goes, I have no idea what scriptable NPC's are or what can be done with them, but i have seen good suggestions coming from others like walls and roads for player cities, wanting to be sure battle fields work, wanting to see the possibility of getting jedi of holo or village (or combination of both), not sure if this apartments suggestion is valid but would be very nice to see it be implemented, being able to place items on the balconies of houses that have them (again, these are all suggestions from others, none are my own). I also would like to see the all the mods that never worked or never worked right, be fixed, loot tables to be adjustable, maybe some type of muti level access to the server (like full admin, partial admin, and low admin) so that the server admins can have help, but not have to give full access to everything on the server (like low admin can reset the server, but can't touch anything to do with loot tables). bout all I cna think of now. will post more if this is along the lines you were thinking of.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:19 PM

Thanks Ramsey.
I honestly always thought that the Team was busy just replicating what the Pre-Cu was and that suggestions/ideas coming from us was not needed.

You don't have to tell this nut to offer suggestions more than once though... so, you have been warned, hehe.

Anyhoo...

I'm going to take some time and get some serious thoughts posted around here (And help and discuss with others a lot)... I'm actually excited by this because I enjoyed that sort of interaction with the original SWG team through the forums and whatnot (At least in JTL Beta, which was pretty solid... at least in my experiences there).

For now, I'll just mention that I really look forward to the scouting skills, the taming of wild creatures and immersion/role-play that this virtual world helped provide.

I'm all for helping make this community better... I honestly was under the impression that we had these forums mostly as a mindless distraction so that all the masses of fans wouldn't be pestering the actual Team... and that ideas/opinions/suggestions weren't really anything you were looking for from us.

Thanks again!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:22 PM

You don't have to tell this nut to offer suggestions more than once though... so, you have been warned, hehe.

as i stated previous....ive been warned...lol. yes i can get bitter...
Old 03-30-2007, 06:34 PM

Hey, just to directly answer the two suggested questions...

What do you want to be able to do with scriptable npcs?

You know, I always thought SWG should have gone a bit more in the direction of giving players Game Mastering control (For player-created content).
After playing a game for years, it is great to be able to provide content for other players and for yourself.

So, namely... Spawing combat NPC's would be an enormous element of fun.

Being able to create a situation where a squad of storm troopers run towards your group of adventurers and start shooting is a great way of creating fun (As opposed to just getting mission terminals).

Being able to have scriptable NPC's that can be conversed with and that emote and offer different lines of dialog would be most welcome.

What are you looking for in a server?
Consistent, 24 hour service, regular maintenance and stability is of course what I mainly hope for.
Eventually, I am hoping to find a server with enough like-minded players to form solid gaming experience. A huge server with hundreds of consistant players would be great... but I would definitely enjoy a smaller server with regular players that all had many alts and some GM powers so that we could all mimic a larger server (Possibly auto-skill, resources and the like possibilities... if we do not have the numbers to create and sustain the virtual economy and interdependencies).

As far as I am concerned, I've done it all in SWG and I am okay with having a veteran server where... if you want to, get what you had with a few commands and just have yourself some fun (Don't take that the wrong way though... I will definitely be enjoying working some characters up from nothing... the old game was very fun in that way, in my opinion... and I will be doing that)
Then start focusing on role-playing and running major events.
With GM powers, the abilities for creating great player events and ongoing story arcs (Especially with a smaller server community)... we could develop NPC characters that turn into arch-enemies within ongoing story arc events and campaigns.
And, of course, all this is on top of what the game already originally offered (Which is fun all in itself).

Hopefully that gave some sort of insight.

Last edited by OmaddaSzool; 03-30-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:37 PM

I just this site like once a week for an update but I barley post on the forums and i dont have the emulator installed. Im waiting till when its release.... I CANT WAIT TO PLAY IT. Just like the old days...being a smuggler selling the drugs .
Old 03-30-2007, 06:42 PM

Well, it's hard for a community to come from behind the old reputation of being "harsh" to new comers. Especially from before. That reputation is still behind the community as well as the dev team. It's something that takes time to blow over.

Robert-E Lee...."Yea, I own you"
www.xtremesystems.org/forums
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 PM

well, i come here every 2 days. but i must confess that i read more than i write.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

Hmm,

I don't see why you guys are bashing Ultyma when he is the reason you have half the things on TC. Sure he gets ticked off, but look at the reasons why. He gets asked the same questions over and over, and gets blamed for being impaitent when people send him "**** you's". Can you imagine how he feels about doing this project?

Ultyma is part of SWGEmu, so if there is a problem you blame SWGEmu.

Now, as I said, the ban policy has changed and I have asked ultyma as well as stated here that this community thing is MY responsibility. Don't point your fingers because its easy. You tell me that its ultyma's fault, nothing will get done because the ban problem has been fixed when I made this post.

I hope you guys know he reads these threads and is keeping quiet while you blow away at him.

I am asking for constructive ways to improve this project, not dwell in the past with "ultyma this, ultyma that". No one is being banned right now anyway, so I dont see what the problem is anymore.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
We have 8k members I dont see why people don't get on IRC or create forum topics and discuss.

SWGEmu isn't going to succeed without a willing community. This community is doing a piss poor job of working to build a better community for the future precu.

Please encourage your friends who played precu to join and participate in dicussions on the forum. PLEASE give suggestions, we read them. What do you want to be able to do with scriptable npcs? What are you looking for in a server? What if...

There are tons of things you can do to make SWGEmu better, without having to be on the staff. Just help others out and SHARE ideas. Don't wait for updates and post "good job" every month or so. You wont be banned if you follow the rules and be respectful.

If you want to know what we're working on:
Crafting (research)
Clustering (beginning in core3, oru's planning that I think)
Npcs/mobs (core3)

I was primarily a research guy but I'm learning the ropes of core3 to help TA and Oru. Once a few more things are added I will ask oru about doing another stress test with more content. But before that we need a stable community.

I've done this sort of thing twice before with little success, I'll have another go at it.

Suggestions?
Well the actions of the community leaders in the past have left most in fear of posting about anything related to swgemu. It is good that the community leaders seem to be doing a 180 on their approach toward the community, however, it might take more time to get the community to actually get used to the fact.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg2 View Post
Most people get flamed because they cant read the faqs/guides, or search things on thier own.

Now seriusly, 90% of these questions are awnsered somewhere, and just looking through all the questions asked, i found an awnser in less than a minute (in most cases)

And when we tell these people to look it up for themselves (becaues not only is the information RIGHT there, it gets them into the habbit of looking instead of asking), they say they are too lazy to look it up. Now, tell me why we should be nice in this scenario.
Don't be nice. Tell them that laziness isn't rewarded here. Give them a link and send them on their way. Don't ban them after they ask the question. When you choose, and it is a choice, to run a community, there is the attached responsibility of nurturing that community. They could code this emu without the community. This was a choice. Live up to your end, I say.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: