SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Retired Community Deputy Director

Post [NOVA] I can't connect!?

Hi folks,

Yes, we know. I am repeatedly seeing this question in IRC and on the forums, so let's be clear.

Within hours of our latest patch, we reached 750+ users on our Test Center. Reports are now that our latest record is 950+. We have remained at user limit since, and we are so excited you all are enjoying yourselves on our server!

We are now capping the user limit on TC, in an attempt to find the best possible balance between lag and max users. The cap is fluctuating between 700 and 900 users.

Q: Why is TC capped?

A: Your donations allow a shared 100mb line. At peak usage times, or other random times during a day, our allocated bandwidth is reduced. Unfortunately, we cannot afford the money it takes to buy a dedicated line. We'll have to deal with what we have for now.

Q: Are you sure it's not your hardware?

A: We're sure. With 800-900 users online, we were using ~50% of our hardware resources. This is not a problem. The issue is most definitely bandwidth. Also, for this patch there are a few things that are CPU/RAM intense that are being fixed in the OR, so this usage stat is surely not a number to count on for 1.0.

Q: What do I have to do to get on TC?

A: Select your character, and let LPE sit at "Connecting to Galaxy." When a spot opens up, you will automatically load in.

Q: I can't connect, but I don't think this is the problem.

A: VERIFY THE SERVER IS UP. Join IRC channel #status and do a /tcinfo there. If it is indeed up.. then please email community@swgemu.com, or join our IRC support channel #swgemusupport, and we will try to help you. Be patient, there are 100's of you asking for help, and we're doing the best we can to get to you all.

Thanks as always for your support of pre-cu and SWGEmu. See you around the Galaxy!

Last edited by Ekaika; 09-22-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Hopefully we'll reach the 1K cap soon.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 PM

Location: Kashyyk, somewhere with my fellow comrades, amongst the ruins of the clone wars...
I'd love to donate but I don'tz haz paypal or a credit card :/
Oh well, it'll start while I'm asleep at least...
And most important of all:

We fixed what SomeOnE broke

Characters:

Eli Rogue - Warrior - TK Student -
Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaika View Post
Unfortunately, we cannot afford the $20,000 it takes to buy a dedicated line.
I'm curious, where is the server being hosted?

A 100mbit/sec commit w/gigabit burst in a US datacenter shouldn't even cost 1/10th that amount (and I doubt you'd really need a full 100mbit commit at the moment).

I do production service engineering/operations for a living, so I'm at your disposal if you guys would like some help researching and/or implementing an alternate hosting arrangement.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:02 PM

A loose inaccurate number, edited out of my OP for now.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:19 AM
Development Director
ManagerDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg View Post
I'm curious, where is the server being hosted?

A 100mbit/sec commit w/gigabit burst in a US datacenter shouldn't even cost 1/10th that amount (and I doubt you'd really need a full 100mbit commit at the moment).

I do production service engineering/operations for a living, so I'm at your disposal if you guys would like some help researching and/or implementing an alternate hosting arrangement.
Well there is a deal for $800 at our provider for a dedicate 100mbit line. The donations could almost cover that but for now we are also renting 2 server boxes. Probably some servers will be donated in the near future so we can solve this problem finally.

By the way, we are using up around 30 mbit of our shared line at our peak times so that's why we would really need a dedicated one now.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:28 AM

C'mon, statistically speaking one of the ~1000 people who play daily has to come from a family fabulously wealthy enough to drop $500-1000 in a single donation without batting an eye and finally resolve this issue for everyone.

It's for the Emu!

Last edited by ANewHope; 09-22-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oru View Post
Well there is a deal for $800 at our provider for a dedicate 100mbit line. The donations could almost cover that but for now we are also renting 2 server boxes. Probably some servers will be donated in the near future so we can solve this problem finally.

By the way, we are using up around 30 mbit of our shared line at our peak times so that's why we would really need a dedicated one now.
wasnt there a guy that donated servers to you? was a thread about it in the swgemu forum
Old 09-22-2009, 04:58 AM

Again, hardware isn't a problem, it's the pipe.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Development Director
ManagerDeveloperAdministrator

Yeah, it's not the hardware the problem but it can lower our costs if we don't have to rent them. Those donated servers have yet to arrive as far as i know.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:37 AM

These 500-900 users are online, cause you DEVs did your work very well! Thank you very much.
I hope, severall users do it like me and donate every month what they can (for myself I donate 13,--EUR a' month, thats what Ive payed at PreCU time to SOE), cause the SWGEMU is nearly the old one and should be supportet to reduce the lag and giving more users the chance to log in :-)
Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 PM

Out of curiosity, how much does the 100MiB pipe and the servers cost per month?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExile View Post
100MiB pipe
Just so you know, you've asked a very different question than what you think you asked. Bandwidth is measured in bits, not bytes, and MiB is part of the IEC and IEEE's attempt to redefine "megabyte" by fiat. Pushing 100MiB/sec would need a connection of nearly a gigabit, 10 times what's being talked about here.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg View Post
Just so you know, you've asked a very different question than what you think you asked. Bandwidth is measured in bits, not bytes, and MiB is part of the IEC and IEEE's attempt to redefine "megabyte" by fiat. Pushing 100MiB/sec would need a connection of nearly a gigabit, 10 times what's being talked about here.
I was tired when I posted that. I know the difference.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 PM

Do you guys need more servers?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: