SWGEmu Old Forums Archive

SWGEmu Old Forums Archive (http://archive.swgemu.com/forums//index.php)
-   Community News Archives (http://archive.swgemu.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   TC:NOVA Wipe Poll Results (http://archive.swgemu.com/forums//showthread.php?t=54674)

emeecai 04-29-2010 01:01 AM

maybe the people crying about the wipe, should take note of the fact its a test server meant to find and eliminate bugs...they've screwed us over by leaving us all stuck with bugged code cause the developement team cant take a needed step without having their eyes bleed by a few cry babies.

ni'kkor 04-29-2010 01:10 AM

lol

Whatever i'm sure there are good reasons although it is a bit dissapointing. Hopefully it did not come down to someone complaining who was a big donater. Have seen that many times before on other servers. Then again if they pay the bills, then Im thankful you kept them happy.

Shadow2k 04-29-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskool12345 (Post 594216)
As far as I can tell, Blizzard has a larger player base then every current pay to play MMO combined. See I can ignore points as well.

My point in my last post was that it is idiotic to continuously ignore the majority of your player base thinking you can do no wrong. Sure SOE may still be running SWG with enough people playing to get by, but it's obvious that by going against their fan base is why we are here today playing this emulation. Paying to play a game or it being free has nothing to do with anything. If you go against what the majority of your fan base wants time and time again, you will ultimately fail.

Did you read this thread?

They aren't ignoring you. They just don't agree with your outlook on what the server needs at this time. If you didn't read the posts from the Devs in this thread, I suggest you do so.

Look, community input is great. Every developer wants input into what the players think. But that doesn't mean they're always going to agree with you. And quite honestly, often times if they do listen, you don't get what you thought you were asking for anyway. Yes, you want a wipe, I get that. But the wipe comes with consequences too, and the Devs weren't willing to deal with those consequences at this time.

For the record, SOE did originally listen to their player base. How do you think the CU came about, anyway? People crying about mind dmg, 90% composite, stun dmg, Jedi being too strong/weak (yes, both at the same time), etc, etc... SOE listened to all those cries. The CU is what you got.

Then they stopped listening because of the constant crying was just too much. So they did what they wanted, and in comes the NGE.

What do you want, exactly? Pre-CU SWG? So do the Devs. I'm guessing that considering their the ones making it, perhaps we should let them walk their own path to get there. In the end, you'll get what you want. Just try a little patience.

Adransus 04-29-2010 02:01 AM

One could write a neat sociology or anthropology essay over dealings in this community. It is very very unique.

Hell why not a political science paper too?

alexiskool12345 04-29-2010 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow2k (Post 594274)
Did you read this thread?

They aren't ignoring you. They just don't agree with your outlook on what the server needs at this time. If you didn't read the posts from the Devs in this thread, I suggest you do so.

Look, community input is great. Every developer wants input into what the players think. But that doesn't mean they're always going to agree with you. And quite honestly, often times if they do listen, you don't get what you thought you were asking for anyway. Yes, you want a wipe, I get that. But the wipe comes with consequences too, and the Devs weren't willing to deal with those consequences at this time.

For the record, SOE did originally listen to their player base. How do you think the CU came about, anyway? People crying about mind dmg, 90% composite, stun dmg, Jedi being too strong/weak (yes, both at the same time), etc, etc... SOE listened to all those cries. The CU is what you got.

Then they stopped listening because of the constant crying was just too much. So they did what they wanted, and in comes the NGE.

What do you want, exactly? Pre-CU SWG? So do the Devs. I'm guessing that considering their the ones making it, perhaps we should let them walk their own path to get there. In the end, you'll get what you want. Just try a little patience.

Oh I read it and find it absurd that they are saying the OR won't be out for another 5 months and that everyone is to just sit here, play on a dead code test center, and deal with broken pvp, duped weapons/items, beyond repairable economy, etc. etc.

If the TC was reset, actual testing could commence again with a revamped Jedi system, a fresh start for crafters, a fresh economy, pvp would be viable once again, etc. Instead we are left with a Test Center in which there is nothing to test and where the dupers can do whatever the hell they want. A revised loot system won't do anything to help.

Kiora 04-29-2010 03:09 AM

lock the thread. please. i'm begging here.

ddraggonswingg74 04-29-2010 03:11 AM

personally i dont care if there is or isnt a wipe.. im gunna play either way

Metal 04-29-2010 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiora (Post 594320)
lock the thread. please. i'm begging here.

I coudnt agree more.

Daywolf 04-29-2010 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeecai (Post 594254)
maybe the people crying about the wipe, should take note of the fact its a test server meant to find and eliminate bugs...they've screwed us over by leaving us all stuck with bugged code cause the developement team cant take a needed step without having their eyes bleed by a few cry babies.

What testing? We are in a lame duck phase, where looking for or reporting bugs is rather pointless. Remember OR? They should not really be fixing bugs here at this point, other than anything really critical really. So wiping to start over for bug tracking is purely pointless.

When will this thread diiiiie?!?
heh

Jatycre 04-29-2010 03:37 AM

I feel I need to interject here. Too many people are coming off with the "There will be a wipe when the OR is finished" line. That's not gonna happen for a long while. It's not as if the OR is gonna be done in a few days or something. The OR isn't going to be done for months. The TC is going to be the ONLY way to play the galaxies we all love until then. Which is why it's bothering so many people that the TC is basically ruined as it sits. The economy is shot, and PVP is ruined. That is why so many people are complaining. It's a test server with nothing we can really test in it's current state. It's the only way to play Galaxies the way we enjoy it, but it's completely fooked. And without a wipe, it's staying fooked until the OR is done, which won't be for months. So stop acting as though people are complaining for nothing, there is a valid reason for the complaining. The OR isn't even close to finished, which means we have a broken server for months.

That being said, it's not fair at all to take it out on the devs either. The devs are working hard on this project. They wanted to help us out, but they also want to keep working on the OR. They thought they could make the time to wipe the server and fix a few problems, however when they actually sat down and looked at what was going to happen if they wiped it, they realized it was going to wind up taking too much time away from their main priority. They aren't pulling an SOE by any means. They are still doing what we want, and that is to crank out the code to get a finished product working. They just don't think they have the time to fix the TC right now. Which, from my point of view (which is someone with some programming experience) is understandable. I understand how much time it's taking them to bang out all this code, and I understand that they want that to be their top priority right now.

obi2canobi 04-29-2010 03:40 AM

LOL! Ok it's time to let go now!

It is dysfunctional to get so worked up over a video game, however it is worth some laughs.

I guarantee you if the OR was scheduled for release next week people would still be vehemently arguing for a wipe/no wipe on TC.

Life goes on...

Daywolf 04-29-2010 03:45 AM

Doesn't matter when the OR is finished, looking for bugs is still pointless. Of course things are broken, but less broken than when we used to play tag around anchorhead years ago.

In the end it's a no win for the devs, as wiping will not eliminate bugs for the most part. Then people will cry about that, trying to pull time and resources from OR development to fix things here that will just break again when the OR is released. The difference should be then that fixing the code/database should be quicker/easier.

As for this thread, as Starbuck said:
"DIE! JUST DIIIIIIIE!"
meh

Worlack 04-29-2010 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jatycre (Post 594332)
They wanted to help us out, but they also want to keep working on the OR. They thought they could make the time to wipe the server and fix a few problems, however when they actually sat down and looked at what was going to happen if they wiped it, they realized it was going to wind up taking too much time away from their main priority. They just don't think they have the time to fix the TC right now. I understand how much time it's taking them to bang out all this code, and I understand that they want that to be their top priority right now.

I agree with most of your post here, but where I've quoted is where you have it wrong. They stated repeatedly that a wipe of the TC would take away 1-2 days of OR work time. Personally I could live with that if it meant fixing the current problems with the TC. The reason they decided against the wipe wasn't due to taking time away from OR, it was due to disparities in the two polls, they didn't want to create a third poll and the community was very passionate on both sides of the argument. They decided to go with the status-quo here.

If they had come out and said "We don't want to devote time to Nova when we could be working on OR" I think a lot of people on both sides would have understood because I think most of us agree that the OR is a higher priority than our fun on the TC.

Shadow2k 04-29-2010 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskool12345 (Post 594287)
Oh I read it and find it absurd that they are saying the OR won't be out for another 5 months and that everyone is to just sit here, play on a dead code test center, and deal with broken pvp, duped weapons/items, beyond repairable economy, etc. etc.

If the TC was reset, actual testing could commence again with a revamped Jedi system, a fresh start for crafters, a fresh economy, pvp would be viable once again, etc. Instead we are left with a Test Center in which there is nothing to test and where the dupers can do whatever the hell they want. A revised loot system won't do anything to help.

So the TC is dead code, yet...if you reset it, suddenly it needs a lot of testing? It is the same code, that makes no sense.

This wipe was all about instant gratification. People want to be able to insta-master any profession. People want everything reset so they can play and PvP right now, as if the project were finished. Guess what, it isn't. Don't toss out the word testing as if you mean it, it insults my intelligence.

The wipe had nothing to do the furthering the EMU project. If the devs needed a wipe to test stuff, they'd just do it. That's the last time I explain that.

I'm done posting in this thread. I don't think think I can stand anyone else trying to tell me a player ran economy needs to be tested.

Worlack 04-29-2010 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow2k (Post 594354)
This wipe was all about instant gratification. People want to be able to insta-master any profession. People want everything reset so they can play and PvP right now, as if the project were finished.

Actually there were two options:

1. Wipe
2. Wipe with Frogs

I for one voted for Wipe without frogs, don't paint us all with the same brush. I quit WoW at WotLK release because the "instant gratification" aspect was out of control, I don't want to see that happen to SWG, even on test. The amount of experience gained right now is already absurd enough.

alexiskool12345 04-29-2010 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow2k (Post 594354)
So the TC is dead code, yet...if you reset it, suddenly it needs a lot of testing? It is the same code, that makes no sense.

This wipe was all about instant gratification. People want to be able to insta-master any profession. People want everything reset so they can play and PvP right now, as if the project were finished. Guess what, it isn't. Don't toss out the word testing as if you mean it, it insults my intelligence.

The wipe had nothing to do the furthering the EMU project. If the devs needed a wipe to test stuff, they'd just do it. That's the last time I explain that.

I'm done posting in this thread. I don't think think I can stand anyone else trying to tell me a player ran economy needs to be tested.

I voted no without the ridiculous frogs. If you seriously believe nothing could be tested with a reset then that's your problem. They decided not to do a reset with the only viable excuse being the frogs (which never should have been an option) and that they once again catered to the crying minority of the player base who didn't want to lose their precious Jedi's, not that nothing could be tested (a revamped Jedi system for example).

Daywolf 04-29-2010 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskool12345 (Post 594359)
If you seriously believe nothing could be tested with a reset then that's your problem.

Test for what? I still don't see any point in it, even posting bug reports now can only slow them down with other things. Dead code is dead code.

Really, the server does not even need to be up. It's only up so those that have been testing can just play to pass the time until they reach the next development milestone. That's just how things work with such projects, been there done that plenty of times from both sides of the fence.

OldJedi 04-29-2010 05:16 AM

i dont understand this wipe, havent been around for a long time.

so there will be no wipe when this game goes live ?

is this right ?

Worlack 04-29-2010 05:40 AM

When the game goes live (a LONG time from now) it will be wiped. It will also be wiped sometime in the coming months for something called the object restructure.

Daywolf 04-29-2010 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldJedi (Post 594369)

is this right ?

After? Shouldn't. But TC will get it at least two more times, probably more.
To clarify, TC will be ended, so there will be no "wipe" at that point. Theoretically or physically, not the same server. I can only imagine a wipe from that point on would be from a fatal crash, and all the backups were eaten by a rabid Cu-pa.

Vlada 04-29-2010 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldJedi (Post 594369)

is this right ?

There will be many wipes between now and then. After the OR is complete (OR=Object Restructure, look for reference in my signature), NOVA will be wiped and testing of the new code will commence. We will more than likely have quite a few wipes after the OR and before the launch of SC (SunCrusher).

Stinney 04-29-2010 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskool12345 (Post 594287)
Oh I read it and find it absurd that they are saying the OR won't be out for another 5 months

Unless I missed some news, the OR was originally expected to be complete August '09.

Where did you get 5 months from?

Vlada 04-29-2010 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinney (Post 594404)
Unless I missed some news, the OR was originally expected to be complete August '09.

Where did you get 5 months from?

cRush posted that, but he also said its not an actual ETA only his rough estimate.

Worlack 04-29-2010 06:52 AM

It was originally estimated August 2009. I think it was later estimated to be late 2009 and Suncrusher was actually slated for 2009. Check www.suncrusher.net as it STILL says 2009. I think most people were thinking sometime this summer for OR, but cRush stated in this thread that it's looking like (estimated) 5 months now. That puts it at October 2010.

My personal guess,
OR = 2011
Suncrusher = Fall 2011

Edit: I know there is no confirmed ETA for anything and to assume an ETA from any information from any source would be ridiculous.

Ekaika 04-29-2010 07:11 AM

I'm gonna go ahead and lol again. And only for the simple reason that I marvel at the overt hilarious reaction by the horde from each and every development.

You guys should cool down...as fun as it is to go ape**** on a forum, it's not entirely productive, as said forum is inhabited by sheep who sometimes follow the loudest whistle.

Velninieks 04-29-2010 07:31 AM

As far as I understand(I'm actually playing SWG only a week or so) the problem was duping, why not wipe only items that were used by bugs the most?

Arnold47525 04-29-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulbous (Post 594011)
Hey, wipers! I got a wipe for ya:

Click START > CONTROL PANEL > ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS

I'd be pleased to meet you ingame. I like your atitude and sense of humor. :D

Khargash 04-29-2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekaika (Post 594416)
You guys should cool down...as fun as it is to go ape**** on a forum, it's not entirely productive, as said forum is inhabited by sheep who sometimes follow the loudest whistle.

As oppose to sheep who follow the quietest whistle? (i.e. follow the group with the least votes). What do you call those type of sheep?

What a ridiculous waste of time and hope. And there was me thinking this might actually get me back on TC for some proper fun - at least for a few weeks until the next bunch of exploits are discovered.

Arnold47525 04-29-2010 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeecai (Post 594254)

Wrong thoughts here, Emeecai. Not the Devs screwed you here, it was the foul palyers inside this "community" who did. You blame the wrong people here.

Elvaron 04-29-2010 07:58 AM

On the OR: It is very hard to say. Currently there's like a hand full or more devs actively working on the code, but in summer, when some of them get to have more free time, it'll proceed faster. I'm not going to give an ETA, but I think the ETA for a realistic ETA is fall 2010, by then many things will be done :)

qwwq4 04-29-2010 08:03 AM

You people also need to understand something: cRush said if it continues as it is now it will be 5 months. School is still in. wait 2-3 weeks and the devs have more free time. So more things get done.

If code is dead ( so testing is "pointless"), and the OR is 5 months out, the only logical explanation I can see here would be to join the Dev team to help out. the Team is a "Freelance" basis, as in they accept fixes and code submissions, as it is open source. ANYONE who knows what they are doing can submit code and join the dev team. Out of the insane number of people here, you can't tell me that only the number of people on the dev team already are all of the people who know how to code? that is absurd. Join the dev team. code. ???? Profit.

Mujahed 04-29-2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwwq4 (Post 594446)
You people also need to understand something: cRush said if it continues as it is now it will be 5 months. School is still in. wait 2-3 weeks and the devs have more free time. So more things get done.

If code is dead ( so testing is "pointless"), and the OR is 5 months out, the only logical explanation I can see here would be to join the Dev team to help out. the Team is a "Freelance" basis, as in they accept fixes and code submissions, as it is open source. ANYONE who knows what they are doing can submit code and join the dev team. Out of the insane number of people here, you can't tell me that only the number of people on the dev team already are all of the people who know how to code? that is absurd. Join the dev team. code. ???? Profit.

I'm sure they'll spend their sunny days in a dark basement.

Daywolf 04-29-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janus (Post 594443)
On the OR: It is very hard to say. Currently there's like a hand full or more devs actively working on the code, but in summer, when some of them get to have more free time, it'll proceed faster. I'm not going to give an ETA, but I think the ETA for a realistic ETA is fall 2010, by then many things will be done :)

What, are they in middle-school or something? hehe. Adults are usually extra busy in the summer time... depending on which part of the world they live in ;)
That usually includes college students too. I actually took classes in summer when I was in college... while I was working... and on my putter... and out doing daily stuff.

heavyassault 04-29-2010 09:29 AM

At the end of the day when the real server comes up we are going to have to start a new! I actually wanted the wipe because it would be fun! and its only a Test server! thats my personal opinion :)

Worlack 04-29-2010 09:32 AM

Oh lord, why'd you have to post that screenshot, you trying to make people puke?

Vlada 04-29-2010 09:36 AM

I think that's his signature, LMAO.

Worlack 04-29-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlada (Post 594480)
I think that's his signature lol.

Brb, head in the toilet!

Arnold47525 04-29-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worlack (Post 594482)
Brb, head in the toilet!

Drinking water, couldn't you just take a glass like anyone else?
Oh, I got it, you're a Wookie. :D

Kainzo 04-29-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daywolf (Post 594329)
What testing? We are in a lame duck phase, where looking for or reporting bugs is rather pointless. Remember OR? They should not really be fixing bugs here at this point, other than anything really critical really. So wiping to start over for bug tracking is purely pointless.

When will this thread diiiiie?!?
heh

When you stop posting :p

pie eater 04-29-2010 10:22 AM

The thread will die once the DEVs see how many ungrateful people they have in the community of this EMU. Really come on I think all of the posters here need to apologize they are the ones who brought this game back for us. Who else can code this game like them? The fact they are doing it for free is astonishing.

Thank you EMU team in the long run this decision and all your other decisions wil benefit us all.