SWGEmu Old Forums Archive

SWGEmu Old Forums Archive (http://archive.swgemu.com/forums//index.php)
-   Community News Archives (http://archive.swgemu.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   What we learned. (http://archive.swgemu.com/forums//showthread.php?t=3203)

ThEgg 04-15-2007 11:05 PM

Understood..
/signed

I'll send you and the team some chocolate.

Rudy 04-15-2007 11:33 PM

Anybody who has any knowledge with programming has to respect what you guys are doing. With a new OS and new code, things are expected to go wrong. That is the whole purpose of the stress test.

Anyone *****ing about things going amiss has no idea what programming is like, and their opinions should be taken with less than a grain of salt.

You guys are doing a great job and all the work you are putting in is extremely appreciated. I'm sure there are plenty of guys like me here who know what you are dealing with and have the utmost respect for what you are doing. Who gives a **** what the tards think.

Rock on!

Vreed 04-15-2007 11:44 PM

Yeah, guys, if the game were finished, then something like this would be startling and maybe upsetting....but it's not finished, that's the whole point! If testing always went smoothly, why test at all? Yer all doin' great.

gusu 04-15-2007 11:51 PM

Honestly I am glad to see that you guys aren't rushing to release the emu. It will be better if you spend more time on it.

Plus **** man its free and no one said you had to do it:rolleyes:

Thanks for the work. Once I can get my SWG working I'll join you guys on a stress test.

Just one thing. Possibly leaving a server up 24/7 and just updating it as the server gets updated would be better... but yet this would cause much stress and posting about OMFG WHY IS THERE A CAP?! So... I don't know... maybe this way is the best.:p

pimp818 04-15-2007 11:55 PM

It's a good thing you guys are taking it slow. But i'm still hoping for another stress test.:p

matt71tx 04-15-2007 11:58 PM

Although it did not work out, the SWGEmu team gets an A for effort. Take a break now and regroup after you all rested a bit. After a break you all will be in a better position to move forward.

Also don't let those idiots who are complaining bring you guys down. These juvenile people are whining and complaining since they don't understand the value of what you all are trying to accomplish. They have had things given to them instantly and on a "silver platter" all their life. They can not respect anything take takes time and effort but rather expect instant gratification at anyone elses cost. These immature people can not be taken seriously and must be ignored.

Keep on moving forward and keep up the great work!

ZeroAccend 04-16-2007 12:04 AM

Seperate from SOE

IDK if this has been said or not, but this is yet another thing that seperates swgemu from soe. Saying "we'd rather do 100 hrs of testing" is awesome. I wish that was soe's and microsofts mindset.

Props. Keep up with the good word. And for what its worth I dont go a week without meeting at least a few SWG vets and tell them about this kick ass project. My contribution to you guys (small, but i'm sure it helps).

conjre 04-16-2007 12:09 AM

Well, what can I say that already hasn't been said. I guess I'll just restate then. This test wasn't a failure, things were learned we just didn't get the outcome we were hoping for. Look at Silly Putty, 409, etc. Better luck next time. Good thing is now everyone can move forward knowing that we are this close (holds up hand to show very small) to completion. A big w00t w00t for the swgemu devs.

Also off the topic, if any dev could send me server stats during the short test: (active npc count, active pc count, processor performance graph, etc) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again swgemu you guys are awesome!!!!!!

theuberk 04-16-2007 12:11 AM

less than three the devs

Erwinn 04-16-2007 12:14 AM

No worries boys, we appreciate every little bit you do, just keep on keeping on :cool:

Evelas 04-16-2007 12:17 AM

Keep slugging at it! I've taken a few CS classes in college so far, so I've a good enough idea of what you're doing to know how crazy it is. We've been hoping for this emu since the Combat Downgrade, 27 April 2005, we can wait longer.

Tyclo 04-16-2007 12:24 AM

Stuff happens.

You guys are still the best :O!

Smusatto 04-16-2007 12:34 AM

Thank you all for the generally positive response to this. It definitely makes things easier on us. Hopefully we'll have something ready for you next weekend. Stay tuned...

DeCastro 04-16-2007 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smusatto (Post 54084)
Thank you all for the generally positive response to this. It definitely makes things easier on us. Hopefully we'll have something ready for you next weekend. Stay tuned...

No problem shiz happens. We are all very pleased already with the progress and work you Devs are doing for this great game. Even if something goes wrong next weekend it wont bother me a bit, I will still support the community and the effort being put out on the emulator.

honestmaxx 04-16-2007 12:43 AM

Who Cares

Eh, oh well, I still had an "interesting" time on the IRC server indeed. :rolleyes:

We still lub you guys. :D

Mart- 04-16-2007 12:44 AM

Everyone needs to be patient & support the team in getting things sorted out
We've all been without pre cu for what nearly 2 years now a few more months isnt going to hurt anymore

Doing a great job guys keep it up :)

gtyron 04-16-2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximilius (Post 53895)
Ramsey, I WUV U!!
Great job dude. better luck next time

I just wanted to emphasise something Rams said on IRC just then, that i think realy stipulates why we're all here on THIS project:

I think that that is the attitude we all need to respect, and base our own attitudes on.

For for me, thankyou for going slow, thankyou for not pushing tests out that arent going to work, and thankyou for explaining yourself. You've gained (you already had) my respect, and my support.

i was unable to join the stress test but i just wanna send my regards, indeed, fast slop is the NGE all over again, and anyways i can kind of understand the whole thing about working on stuff that the players dont see, the keeping out the bugs that nobody ever thinks about

Taaack 04-16-2007 12:52 AM

now that ive calmed down a bit i once again realise that you guys were right-

but you wouldnt believe how many times this has happened to me... it hit me hard and i got PISSED OFF.

The first thing i saw was everyone in girl clothes with sabers, which made me go ****. then iw alked up to anchorhead, and i had 2 minute lag, which also made me curse. then after that i could either not connect or once i did have insane lag. i went "**** it" yelled at ramsey blocked him on xfire, left irc and went and beat the **** out of something outside. 4+ hours later, im fine. i just ****ing hate it when my high hopes get crushed over and ****ing over. It didnt help that i was on vent with 10 other pissed guildies...

Colim 04-16-2007 12:53 AM

Nice try, though. I'm glad to see the effort is there, and wish you guys luck on the next stress test.

idiotboy 04-16-2007 01:00 AM

Dude.. if people don't understand what you have to do to get this thing workin'.. screw em... Everyone is so impatient and wants everything now now now.. this is an ongoing process and I know the hardcore fans understand that. Don't let these other idiots bug ya :)

mordin13606 04-16-2007 01:17 AM

All i have to say is that u guys are doing a hell of a job!!! Keep it up!!

Zaff 04-16-2007 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smusatto (Post 54084)

Considering the general reaming that the team took from the community about bans and other stuff recently, you guys have really raised the bar to show the community that you want us involved. You even did it to such a degree that you set the bar too high, too soon. Who cares if you missed it. You tried like crazy to make it. You gained information from this test that will improve the code. And you have a positive response from the community as a result.

Testing is about finding the holes so you can plug them. Having fun doing it is a bonus when things go right. I stood on pre-cu Tat soil tonight. It was worth four hours of my day just for five minutes of that.

Roidrage667 04-16-2007 02:19 AM

Can't wait.

Anarkya 04-16-2007 02:37 AM

Keep up the good work guys! We love you!!
And if people can't understand.. *edit* em!

bongandbeer 04-16-2007 02:38 AM

dont give up guys ,... we love u for what u do,... i do ,...

germany says: DONT GIVE UP !!!

sleep well and long guys! =)

damostmorbid 04-16-2007 03:06 AM

Oh well, back to looking up pron...

Aldebaran 04-16-2007 03:37 AM

Don't worry and keep up the good work !
We'll still be there to test things when they need to be tested ;)

Zephyrus 04-16-2007 04:09 AM

Rams u have done more than the SOE team ever did by loggin on and sayin "hey were sry it didnt work right but whe are working for u" that SOE nevver trully did and thats wat makes te diference

ovion 04-16-2007 05:53 AM

Don't listen to the selfish minority of idiots, this is a work in progress and these things always happen, you handled it very well, and the fact it was your first major upset. Don't fret it:)

4NIC8R 04-16-2007 06:16 AM

I for one am glad you decided to hold off for a little bit. This was the underlying problem that SOE had. They would release half-finished code out long before it was ready (SOE admitted to coding the entire NGE in 6 mos) and when it wouldn't work right, they wondered why the fans were upset.

I believe that making software available "when it's ready" is a fundamental breakaway from SOE's system and I applaud it. Sure, there are plenty of mouthy people that will voice their..displeasure, but I think that people know that it's better in the long run.

StringLack 04-16-2007 06:16 AM

u devs rule

Pator 04-16-2007 06:23 AM

/respect

Sharkz 04-16-2007 06:37 AM

OH well we still got a cool video ^^

zaykodroid 04-16-2007 08:21 AM

we are with you man, until the end..

skizi 04-16-2007 08:42 AM

Great job to the dev team so far. Problems always arise, I came to the test knowing this, and I feel sorry for the people that were disappointed.

We all learn from out mistakes.

Dialgo 04-16-2007 08:47 AM

It's ok guys! Take your time, we all want it to be done, but to be done right would be much better! Thanks :) Go get some rest!

Mart- 04-16-2007 09:35 AM

I agree with the team in getting it right from the start instead of the SOE approach of release the thing we can fix it as we go...... Take a look at coldfronts appraoch with the pirates of the burning sea for a year thats been promised instead of releasing it to appease the public theyre taking the time to release a working no fixes needed game....... yes it is frustrating but having days of downtime to fix things later is much worse

Keep up the good work guys every TRUE SWG fan is behind you :)

ilynia 04-16-2007 09:39 AM

I'm really glad this emu got a devteam like you guys. If SOE had someone as open and competent as you, SWG wouldn't be in it's current mess. Keep up the great work and take your time, don't rush it the soe-way.

Magus Schneider 04-16-2007 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximilius (Post 53895)
Ramsey, I WUV U!!
Great job dude. better luck next time

I just wanted to emphasise something Rams said on IRC just then, that i think realy stipulates why we're all here on THIS project:

I think that that is the attitude we all need to respect, and base our own attitudes on.

For for me, thankyou for going slow, thankyou for not pushing tests out that arent going to work, and thankyou for explaining yourself. You've gained (you already had) my respect, and my support.

Indeed!
And thx for the feedback ^_^x

opoke 04-16-2007 10:00 AM

The important thing is that you're moving in the right direction, even if that's just learning something you didn't already know. You may have bit off more than you could chew this time, but it's our failures that teach us more than our successes. Without them, victory never tastes as sweet.

I was just excited about hearing NPCs in the game. I missed out on the event, so I don't exactly know what all else was there. As for suggestions, I would say to make sure grouping is in no matter what. That, for whatever reason, is one of the things that made SWG so much fun (or really any MMO for that matter). Second, keep the events saved until special non-stress tests that can be more about fun than real tests. Events take a lot of work to get right, and you'd do better to save that kind of effort for the times when you're not as focused on getting the game right (or even just some features of it). For instance, have an event like you'd planned in a few months (guessing here) when you have combat 99%+ finished, grouping complete, factional TEFs in place and working, and missions complete. This gives the community a load to do while still having something for the developers to test- stability and interconnectivity of various features. It also is something more like real-game testing instead of feature or stress testing. This is also good for a heads up on what to expect later.

In the end, all I can say is keep it up. I'm constantly impressed with what this team is able to do. That's not meant to say that I had low expectations. When I heard Pre-CU SWG, I didn't expect anything less. But you're actually doing it, and you're not really taking your time, either. Nearly every week is another reason, posted on these boards, to keep up the hope as we're that much closer to seeing this become the reality we've all longed for it to be. I plan on running my own server of this when you release it (understanding the difference between released and finished), but I'll still donate enough for you to run your own server for at least a month. The payoff will certainly be worth that and more. I'm just not Daddy Warbucks.