Thread: Discussion
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 04:03 PM

well i will echo a few of the things that have already been said. Mainly a fear of what will happen. Most of the people that come here have a knowledge of computers and programming that extends to installing the SWG disc's and logging in. Most don't understand how the EMU works, what is server side and what is client side, what can be changed, what cant be changed, and have no idea what scripting is. Every time someone asks a question that may seem obvious or way off base he is flamed by either a community member or even by a dev or moderator. This has gotten better recently but still exists. also many of the questions and topics have already been asked and asked multiple times. Honestly i think that the best thing that could be done would be to have a dev write a real FAQ and explain the ins and outs of programming the emu what can and cant be done and what some of the terms that get thrown around frequently mean. (This would of course take alot of time and effort which would detract from the EMU effort). But i think it is what would be needed.

Also perhaps a pre-determined moderated Q&A session on irc with the devs where people could pose questions to the mods who would then forward the relevant ones one at a time to the devs who could answer each one, no matter if they feel it is a "dumb" question or not.

When you are dealing with as many people as there are here in a field that is foreign(programming and advanced computing) to the core of what brought us together (the love of SWG) it will always seem like the people who don't know as much are the masses and those people need to be dealt with fairly.

Basically, i feel the community morale and attitude is poor. and, well attitude is a reflection of leadership. The best way to advance the community is by making everyone knowledgeable at the subject at hand and people learn at different speeds so the best way to do it is a ton of information that can be looked at in a concise format.

sorry for the poorly formatted thoughts but i just typed away.

Also Ramsey i feel you may have a slightly different view of certain aspects becuase you are here for the love of the EMU not the love of SWG, not trying to be an @$$ just trying to point out a possible differance.

When we have been asked to do things we have done them, there have been good responses to all the things we were asked to do including animation tests, stress tests and look at the responses to this thread

Last edited by Naveed; 03-30-2007 at 04:10 PM.