View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 10:29 PM

just to put my .02 in, and I'm sure I'll get flamed by whomever disagrees... But...

I've spent about 2 weeks pouring over the code. Yeah, I'm new to the effort and hopeing that maybe I can make some sense of it and maybe add something to the project eventually. From what I've observed the code is fantastically maintained. I've read the changelogs going back a month or more and am very impressed. As long as the politics and such stay out of it we're seeing the project moving along much quicker than I anticipated.

However, you should be prepared for what this thing really is. And that's an open source emulator of a product that doesn't exist any longer. Further, the product that did exist was buggy and incomplete. Asking these guys to come up with the original only better is quite possible more than can be expected. Especially considering that the client we're using is basically "locked" into a mostly unmodifiable version.

so far all they've accomplished has been without creating new tre files. whether you realize it or not, that's a HUGE accomplishment. Most game dev's manipulate both client and server sides to tweak and adjust. Even the Mangos project at least had(has) LIVE packet streams and an updated client to code against (a client that allows minor tweaking to start with).

My expectations are for a pre-cu emu, that allows harvesting, crafting, player housing, and a workable combat system. If they can't resolve rubberbanding (soe never did), or if they can't figure out balance (soe never did), or if they can't change the jedi system (very possible since they can't change the client), or if they nix jedi altogether... I'm still in. I'll still be observing their code until I think I have something to contribute.

what I really miss most is my small naboo house 1K south of Kaadara. It's where I started, with a insignificant little mineing operations 2 weeks after launch. It doesn't matter what came of it, it's those first few months that were the most exciting. I get the same feeling logging back in today. :-)

keep up the good work folks.
-Duff