View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 01:45 PM

Personally,
I'm not ready to give up on this project just yet, although I won't sugar coat it, every time a significant event occurs like the "OR" it rattles the community and gives birth to frustrations and doubts which eventually leads to more and more players giving up or losing interest. I don't think most people understand that in development there are many many times where you take one step forward and two steps back. The steps back allow a team to expand upon or to streamline foundational systems, often times when I'm coding something, I have to drop back and revise older code to support it for one reason or another. I'd venture to say that unforeseen code needed to be added to support and allow the project to move ahead, therefore the 'OR' was a necessary step back.

You have to give the team a good bit of respect for what they have accomplished so far, while I won't claim to be an expert on the SWGEmu code base, although I do have a pretty good working knowledge of it at this point and have done some pretty fun stuff with an older revision I still have. Massive projects like these aren't for your typical programmer, it takes months just to get a real "feel" for the code and to gain an understanding of the mechanics. It definitely isn't something a CircleMUD/Diku/Smaug coder could just leap into and immediately be successful.

It is my "opinion" that a more candid effort should be made to keep the community updated on the progress being made however, the project has taken an excessive amount of time to get to this point and it's only human nature to have doubts or to be frustrated. Regardless on if you just joined or have been here since the beginning, we're all here because we have a deep desire to play the game that we once had in all it's glory, with or without the little quirks that came with the experience.

Anyhow, I'm a wordy bastard, so I'll sign off on this post for now hehe.

- J.