View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
I'll bet the devs wish they were bored sometimes. They aren't a 24/7 IT Help Hotline after all; they're human just like us, except that instead of waiting for a server to go back online, they have actually go in and fix it (when they can manage to find the time to).

I doubt they exactly get out of bed and say, "Ooh, I hope the server is deadlocked again, I want to spend my whole day debugging!"

I guess you could say it's the difference between paid help and volunteers; paid help is often part of a company and a company needs to keep up an appearance of the utmost efficiency and service. Volunteers, however, are...well, volunteers and are free to give service as they choose.

I remember another forum I went to for a while that had "skin requests" for a certain type of forum and also "graphic requests" (mostly signatures and avatars). I cannot possibly count the amount of times people complained in some way because the requests were not being filled "quickly enough." You don't quite realize how ridiculous it is until you're the one behind the counter.

/end dispassionate pondering
I know they're busy and they have lives outside of SWG, as I hope all of us do. I don't know much about coding or what it takes to change a server status, but I would *think* (yes, dangerous, I know) it would take just as much time to change the server status as it would to update IRC or post on the forums about the current issue.

As I said before, I'm not really complaining, just curious. But I think a couple people have explained it's easier to go to IRC than it is to change server status, and I'm good with that explanation.