View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtyron View Post
Edit: Some do it for money as well, of course.
How does one make money from being a *****?

just curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongandbeer View Post
i have absolutely no clue of programming.... but i have a question u may answer with ease,...

can the emu project, or the servers provided by you guys, made save against such attacks? i mean is there a way to block such attacks?

and,... cant u see the attackers IP or something? can u track this mofo down, and prevent him doing it again?
I'm far from an expert on the matter, but I'll try to answer these question.

a server can be protected, but only to a certain degree and never 100%, especially when it comes to protecting a public website from DDoS (Harder to separate DDoS connections and normal player connections) as far as I know there are only two defenses against DDoS, selective filtering of incoming connection which I doubt is possible to implement on a public website, or getting a new hardware + bigger bandwidth to handle more simultaneous connection - but its expensive and wont help if the attacker can match the limit.

As far as the attackers IP, generally it is possible to get an IP of the attacker, but only a fool will show his real IP. if the attackers has abit of sense and a basic understanding of how the Internet works (which, if he does DDoS I assume he has) then he will mask his identity either with some form of proxy, or dont participate in the attack directly and rather just have a botfarm do the work.

so all an IP ban will manage to do is block the proxy or block the botfarm (which might be comprised of innocent players like you and me) - not a very good solution.

p.s

I hope that whatever ***** decided to do the DDoS, gets his computer utterly destroyed.