Thread: Discussion
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post

-bi monthly Q/A Sessions.
-Weekly updates.

Smusatto suggested having "themed" stress test events
These are some of the best ideas I've seen in this discussion. I have a number of friends wanting to play the emulator. The most common question they ask me is "when will it be out". More information can only increase interest in the project.

I know you don't want to give an ETA on the emulator, doubtless if you say for example, that you think it may be released in September then if September rolls up and it's not out then some idiots will post "It's September and it's not here, you guys suck". But with the amount of time you've been working on this project and knowing what is done and what isn't you must have some idea of how far off it will be until a release approximating the original game will be made. Include this in the updates. Perhaps not a date but something like "there's maybe six months work". If you have a good month and things go well adjust it to five months. If things go slowly one month say so and keep the estimate to six months or even increase it if need be. Give people the info so they can manage their expectations.

Keep the information easily visible on the forums. Most of the likely emulator players will just be normal folks who can install a game and play it. They might be easily tempted to look at a site but will balk at the thought of IRC.

The themed tests will definitely help get testers. One of my friends recently asked me if she could play yet and should see re-install the game. I told her not to because all that can be done right now is limited PVP. She hates PVP. When there's some PVE to try she might want to help with testing or when there's tests to be done with entertaining or image design. When there's PVE and crafting to test I'll be able to try that because unlike PVP I have an interest and knowledge of it.

The more people see being made to work the more the interest will be and then the discussion of what we want to see in the game will really take off.