Thread: Discussion
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 10:15 AM

I have to say what everyone else says, that people are scared to post. I too am hesitant at times to post anything, because I don't know if I say, (and this is just an example) that if I thought the server was laggy, I'll get banned because my thoughts were taken as blaming the devs. I think as some of the posts so far have shown, it's no secret that there is a trigger fire to ban people, and yell at them...such as "...community is doing a piss poor job," doesn't install faith of the leaders as being benevolent and helping.

You put up with a lot of questions from people, a lot of the same questions. I don't have to answer them, and I'm not a Dev or a Forum Mod, so why I can answer them, I'm not look to towards the answers by the new and old players alike. I would get frustrated too if people didn't read the FAQ's, but I think banning people on the spot, and doing things as of one time, putting the locked people in a thread or calling them a village idiot for public mockery, really only hurts your chance for a good community. I think in general, if a person is a Forum Mod and gets sick of the questions...then quit. Let someone else be in charge who can handle it, and likes to help people.

In a server to play, I would look for a group of people who are friendly and open, or at least open towards each other because they are likely to make progress as a server/community, and inspire friendlies.

Not to rag on you guys, because any group of people who can do something like SWGEmu is commemorable. But other projects who do similar things, don't seem to have this negative community issue. They get newb questions all the time, but they just say read the FAQ, or the community members are happy to answer the questions, and life goes on. No banning, no flaming, just friendly courtesy.

If you ask why maybe the community doesn't do more then help, well, I've seen a few issues where someone responded to a question, saying something like, "read the FAQ before you get banned," a warning to the other person ( though it could**** be taken negatively), and then both people were banned or flamed. Instills fear, and I don't blame any who is weary of posting.