Thread: Discussion
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks for having this discussion.

There is an attitude in this community that makes it very difficult to think creatively and to have "What if..." discussions. If you read the Future Ideas forums, you will see it in nearly every thread that proposes changes.

This attitude has lots of sources. Mostly, this is a fear of change created by the people at SOE. I think it is time that folks realize that noone here is talking about the NGE or CU, they are talking about modding the pre-cu game to make it even better, without changing anything fundamentally.

Another source of this tension comes from the devs here themselves. I have no beef with them and from what I've seen in IRC and here, they are funny, intelligent and dedicated people. However, they like to flame, ban and really be ****s to folks who are out of the loop. On the community boards I float around in, the only complaints about this project I hear is that the devs are too quick to ban and flame.

How can we fix it? Devs, just ignore the idiots unless it gets out of hand. Let the community help the newbs and get them up to speed. Educating new people is the only way to grow the community, so lets take care of them. Now, along with that, we need a community that is willing to put down the blow torches and teach a little.

How about if we just paste a link to the appropriate thread or the FAQ when someone asks a question rather than blow them up until they leave or someone bans them from irc?

In short, noone likes to get whipped for disagreeing or not knowing the answer. Sure, everything you need to know is here on the boards, but we also know human nature is to get info the easy way, by asking. Just direct people to the right place and drop it rather than making a scene every time someone asks.