View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 PM

I don't think anyone here can dispute that the wheels of progress are turning, albeit to a lot of people they seem to be turning kinda slow. Still, progress is progress and I think it best that we all take the time to acknowledge and be thankful for that. I'd be a liar if I didn't say I wasn't at least a little frustrated, it has literally been years now and I was really hoping to get back to at the very least a finished SWG base game (JTL can come later). I started following the EMU project almost 6 years ago? Has it really been 6 years? I think my son was either 1 or 2 years old when I got an in-game communication from someone in the project to come check it out. The only reason I remember at all is because my son absolutely loved Galaxies and used to often perch himself on my knee to watch me play my Jedi and Bounty Hunter toons.

So yeah, if I'm a teeny tiny bit impatient from time to time, I think as long as I can at least acknowledge the fact that they are working on it, progress is being made, and that they deserve some respect for their dedication, then yeah I can probably get away with a "whimper" or "whine" now and again I mean let's be real here, I'm 37 years old, I ain't getting any younger, and most of us older Star Wars fans (guys and gals) were waiting for a Star Wars game like the pre-CU most of our lives, so yeah we want it back NOW! lol.

Truth be told, once I originally found out there was going to be an emulator, I immediately set plans into motion to obtain a suitable server and home for that server at a local data center. Thankfully, I managed to stop myself from being too spontaneous and too overly ambitious and didn't drop the money on a box and hosting right away, not everyone however managed to stop themselves. Instead I took up my reading glasses, yes, I do have reading glasses, and I started studying C++ and doing the little homework projects in books and online courses. Even now, the code can and does sometimes overwhelm me, but at least now I know and can understand what I'm looking at, even if I don't always know associations or what certain functions that are being called do. (That's the beauty of grep or find.)

So why did I want to run my own server? Control. Yes, that's right, control. Nothing pissed me off more than how SOE let so much bull**** slide in their live servers. Offensive names, even worse offensive behavior, cheating, duping, hacking and exploiting. SOE had such a terrible turn around on tickets and complaints that by the time someone actually got caught duping, they had already badly damaged the economy and caused a major shift in inflation, it was RIDICULOUS. I wanted to relive the experience I had as a player in a roleplayer's community as well, names were decent, people stayed in character, homes were decorated and cities teemed with interaction, it was much like "the Sims" only it was in a kick ass world with a kick ass IP attached, instead of some craptastic reality based suburb.

For me at least, SWG Pre-CU was the first MMO I actually enjoyed enough to invest my time and patience into, as time progresses I find myself more and more unwilling to even try a newer MMO when it comes out, fact is SWG Pre-CU was home for me as a gamer and nothing that has come out since has been worthy of a second mention, not even World of Borecraft. I just hope that the EMU project finishes up soon, we've been waiting a long time for this project and if your older like I am, you know the clock is ticking. :P