View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 03:29 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnrue View Post
every beta i have played has always allowed you 5 to 10 mins notice of the server going down. and thats what this is, its a beta test for a game that is 6 years old.and i dont think this game should be treated any differently than any other. I think it would be nice to have a little bit of a notice even if they DONT tell us what they are taking it down for at least.
A: so we can find a safe place to log out
B: so we can disconnect and have less of a chance of being rolled back.
And from what i see on the forms they have made close to 2000 dollars last month so they are indeed getting paid. It may be going back into the project but they are still receiving money to help assist them.

A simple system message that says the server is shutting down in 5 mins would be nice.
Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRush View Post
Let me just throw out some facts to aid with this discussion:

1) This is a Test Center, not a live production server.
2) We went out of our way to provide the community with something fun to hold them over until the OR is completed.
3) We are starting work on the OR.
4) There is no bug in the code. We provide you with the message so you know we are taking it down purposefully as opposed to it crashing unexpectedly. After the message is broadcast, we are killing the server by console to update and bring it back up as soon as possible.
5) Saves are every 5 minutes per player. Let me explain that a little better:
Player A logs in at 15:00 hours. Player B logs in at 15:02 hours. Player A saves at 15:05 hours. Player B saves at 15:07 hours.

Let's say that at 15:11 we put out a theoretical 5 minute warning until server shutdown. That means that at 15:16 the server will be shutdown.

Player A will save at 15:15 - so he makes the mark. Player B will save at 15:17 - he doesn't - 4 minutes of time lost.
Now you say, well fine make it six minutes. Well, now Player A is losing a minute of play. "He should have logged out when he saw the message". - True, but what if he doesn't, or better yet, what if someone else logs in after the 5 minute warning, and loses a minute of play before they receive the message that it is going down in 4 minutes?
There is only one acceptable solution to this matter: saving all loaded players to the database at server shutdown. That is ideal, and will be in effect in the OR, but currently, it is roadblocked by some nasty bugs we have given up on chasing down because they will inherently be fixed in the OR.

Please accept our sincerest apologies on inconveniencing you, the players, and for not giving you enough notice prior to a server restart in which we are implementing fixes to enhance your game-play experience - fixes which are independent altogether of the OR.

Thanks for your continuing support,
-cRush, SWGEmu Developer

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...