Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by fettman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by fettman
I meant no offense by my reply reguarding the patch, I am just very let down by this, I come and see this major source update supposedly being worked on, and come to find out the devs were just enhancing the TC, meanwhile those of us who see the 3 month wait for this useless update have god only knows how long to wait for the new source to come out.

Is the server software every going to actually be released for those of us who want to work on to do so or should the people who want to setup develop and have a server go to one of the other communities or what not.

Dont take me wrong you have all done an amazing job, but it seems like everything is geared towards the main SWGEmu server, without the intentions of releasing it. I know there is alot saying 1.0 will be released but, just seeing the development direction here.

Also at this point Even though i am new, I am having reservations about contributing to a project which according to the information on the website is geared to making this software into other commercial MMO projects which means using contributor's code to get a leg up?

Again dont take me wrong, but over the last few days i am seeing alot that i cant recconcile.

Throw us potential contributors a bone or two, i can see the reason for the user limits in the source at present, but do we really need the shutdowns at 60 minutes? Does the OR need to be so hush hush? it would be awesome to be able to work with the latest code available, and be able to compile it and make sure it works and then contribute.

Again My appoligies I am new here but these questions are going through my head at this point and I cant recconcile them on my own.
Hi Fettman,

The OR isn't hush hush per se... It is simply that TA and Oru are currently performing engine-side changes for the most part. The other developers (core developers) are all awaiting these changes to be completed, just as you and others are. In this spare time, they decided for the benefit of the community to fix a multitude of issues and improve the TC experience to attract members and facilitate an active and testing community through the lul. SWGEmu is a two sided project; balancing the wants of the community with the necessities of developing a "perfect" end product. We need to value the wants of the community to play/test/use an interesting game just as much as we need to dedicate 100% of our available time to projects such as the OR.

The developers who created this patch and those who are working on the OR are not the same people. Since Engine3 is a closed source product, neither the core developers nor the community contributors can assist Oru and TA with their changes. This is, arguably, for the better, as it will guarantee a prestine Engine, avoiding the complications of multi-user patching which has lead to the OR in the first place. Kyle, cRush and Dannuic who made this latest patch realistically had nothing else to do asside from fill in stub functions and plan ahead. I would propound that the team was, in fact, working in a time-economical fashion.

The latest core-changes of the OR are published on our SVN. However, the Engine3 changes will not be published until it is in a compilable and usable state. Other, further changes to Core3 will be on hold until that time.

I hope that answers all your queries.

Cheers
Will the TC patch perhaps be put into a branch on the svn for us to play with it would seem ALOT changed with the core code with this patch could someone atleast put that up for us to tinker with?

I know it sounds odd but Im not all that interested in playing im here one to learn and develop with the core and eventually put up a server with, while i do like to play SWG my reason for comming was chance to develop and help create something truely awesome.
There are 2 main reasons why the patch hasn't been put on the public SVN:

1) It is incompatible with the latest OR changes on the public trunk
2) There are certain features which have been implemented in a "secret" way so to speak as part of the events and community arc for the TC. While we may hold the rhetoric of "The TC is only for testing", we know that unless we make things interesting, people won't test. We chose to implement a couple of fun features to keep players interested, and it would ruin it both for our community goals and the community's own enjoyment, if such features could be examined easily on the public SVN.

As you said yourself, and as has been discussed internally, the use of this current patch in the OR-Future is probably quite small. While the research done will help, the physical code itself will be all but useless in the future.

game set match

to quote you mr troll lobreez try larning something before posting

EDIT

now back on topic. what i was saying is you gotta love the irony in the fact that you spend months working on something and it gets buggered up for this reason or that at the very end. Happens to SOE All the time lol Such is how it works with large projects, everyong pissing and moaning about not being able to get in or that here will be a whipe tomorrow is useless.

Last edited by fettman; 09-14-2009 at 09:47 AM.