Thread: Discussion
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 AM

I can't see how the IRC issues can be fixed. Discussion will always lead to debate.. and unfortunately people can't take criticsm postively when it is needed. In regards to flaming.. I've had my fair share (though usually I get someone PM'img me with the answer and an appology for others.. which I do for others if I happen to know the answer).

I think there are more "active" members in terms of people joining IRC and reading the forums, then has gone noticed. Once again though, there should be penalty (or some form of warning, reprimand, etc) for those who flame others. It's a lot easier, and takes much less time (as in NONE) to just move to the next post, then it is to flame someone. Clearly you can't control "people" (being a public forum), but it would be nice to see MODS reinforcing flamers (<-if you are thinking of the other flamers.. don't go there.. haha).

As mentioned, a good solution is a "NEWB" section in the forums. I've beta tested a few games now, and they usually have some form of "NEWB" section for people to ask just about anything with out fear of getting a "don't you read", etc. post. I'd be willing to be more active on the forums if things opened up (in terms of the sometimes "dangerous" forum environment) and point people to the post they are looking for or give them information. Would certainly help if Devs said hello now and then to members they don't know.. might meet some very helpful people, who may have been insulted otherwise.

As for ideas. I have plenty myself. I wasn't aware that our opinion was needed at this point. I plan to compile a list of "tidbits" as soon as I get some time (next week or so), now that I have that information.

I am an AI programmer. I do program in C++, in the past generally algorithm programming for ACM type stuff. Recently I've been working with TCP network streams.. mainly building client-sever progs for stuff to do with school. I just started to get into hardware (not so much architecture, since I've been into that on and off for some time, but more programming of) and I've asked some strange questions about stuff on IRC.. to which I was blown off. Almost makes me regret asking some of the questions. The reason I'm mentioning this, is because I've personally offered to help with whatever.. if it's just.. hey Pope.. take a look at this.. I have a lot of connections within the University as well.. and I've posted about the EMU on our personal forums.. I've stated that it is possible for me to get others to help out here and there as well. it would be nice to be acknowledged one day, regardless of being needed.. thank you Pope.. instead of being ignored.?.

Anyways.. with all this being said, and assuming you read this far.. I'm impressed with Ramsey's post. I'm here a few times a day.. and never realized that we were valued as a community.

*NOTE: didn't proof read my post due to time constraint.. sorry for any errors*