Thread: Ready?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 09:56 PM

Gpl3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
the project is better off closed source, as we've said before.
Without getting too off-topic, I think that once the emu is complete, in all aspects, and there are established servers in-the-wild, and it's proven to be a free, legal alternative to the evil-empires NGE drivel code, OSS'ing it would do well to catapult the project forward. If your into Linux, look at something like Beryl vs. Compiz. Compiz was closed source for the longest time, and then they OSS'ed it, and we got Beryl, which many many many will argue is much better than it's parent Compiz. That's just the way things work. Imagine if Vista was all of a sudden OSS'ed... Poof, there goes most of the security problems, and opens up a hell of a lot more opportunities for innovation that we'll ever see out of Redmond!

Case in point, let's look at the choice to code the Emu in C++ for instance. Good choice, but only because of the increase in development productivity. For sheer performance and stability (if you know the language well), plain ol' C would be a much better choice! I'm sure as hell glad they DIDN'T choose C though, because I'm greatly looking forward to playing pre-CU this spring, and not next winter!

My point is that once everything is established, why NOT open it to the world to let those who know how to really get down to the nitty-gritty and write a superior server-applet do what they do best? "There's always a bigger fish."

All in all, supreme props to the current Devs for giving us all a new hope (pun biatch) to play this dream of a game from a better era of our MMOG'ing lives. So mote it be!