View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wen Talross View Post
Is it really that easy to track Viper01? Someone posted before that it would be quite difficult to do so, due to them most likely using a proxy or a bug-farm in order to launch these types of attacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordrem View Post
I'd say It depends on how good the person is at that sort of thing and the method he went about to do it. Most everything leaves a trail, you just need to know how to hide it/find it depending on which side your on.
Exactly right Nordrem. The problem with the internet is that it's one big network, and as long as your connected to it you can be backtracked. Even using a proxy won't save you, because all proxy hosts (to protect themselves) keep records of their connections. Even a DoS attack has a single source and single destination, no matter how many "hops" it makes.

The way a DoS works is every "hop" it takes the system doubles (or more) the data packets. You launch the DoS, which means you left a "signature" in the network packet. All the destination has to do is decrypt the packet and they can figure out who launched the DoS attack. Even if you use a proxy, that garbage packet still contains your network information. Most wannabe hackers aren't smart enough to use non-signed packets, and downloadable DoS programs don't do it either. So, unless the person is some uber hacker (which is HIGHLY unlikely) they've left you more than enough info to track them. Assuming you log your network traffic, that is.

To put it in layman's terms. It would be like sending a thief to rob someone's house, and that thief then accidentally dropped your French business card while doing it. If the home owner can read French, you're nailed.

Back on the downtime topic...

I understand that the current downtime is due to a "Deadlock" on the server. Since we just went through a lengthy wait for a huge update, I think it would be equally useful for the community to "wait" while the emu devs come up with a good quality server re-starter. I sincerely doubt anyone will complain about having to wait (on server progress) for such a useful tool to be built. I've had experience with other emu's (non SWG) where community devs have come up with these re-starter tools and they've made a HUGE impact on the community's happiness.

Basically, for those who don't know, a re-starter is a separate program that monitors the various parts of the server (login, world, character, etc) and if any of them stop functioning, "crash", or become deadlocked it automatically re-starts it. You can therefore see how useful such a program would be during a beta phase, where bugs are expected, and even more so when the server is actually released to the public.

In the event such a re-starter already exists, I'd suggest that a process be added to it to check for these types of deadlocks.

Last edited by Viper01; 09-15-2009 at 11:09 PM.