View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katteni View Post
think the whole reason people get annoyed with afkers is simply because of a cap only so many can be on. When they are on they see afk ents all over the place and afk people standing middle of no where so on. if every one got on there would probably be less of a issue but most likley still one as there is always some problem with afkers. no easy fix end of the day. those that dont afk grind see it as a waste and a pain. those that afk grind see it as testing server or doing things that would be boring as hell if they were there all the time. does seem to kick most people after a period of time and i assume afkers are similar.
Well that's where the comment about it being a misconception comes from. People get on, see afk ents/people "standing in the middle of nowhere" and immediately assume that those people specifically are the reason it took them a while to get on, as though removing them would change the playing field. Part of the reason this is such a misconception is because there's really no proof that these people are AFK in the first place; as has been noted in the thread that devolved into a discussion of AFK entertainers, not all entertainers who put AFK status are "completely" AFK; they're usually switching windows and whatnot. Likewise, crafters, especially busy high-level crafters who have businesses, could put up AFK status so that can conduct some things without being flooded by tells (personally I put AFK status on one of my toons if I have two online, but I still check in on both frequently). Not that this is the case with every AFK player, but heck, sometimes a player could just be AFK for a few minutes and so they put AFK status up. This is still a TC after all (no I'm not going to say "it's free, blah blah, etc., etc.") and because of that many play on multiple alts, making AFK status more common if these people want to ever complete their templates.

TL;DR version: There's no guarantee, or even any reasonable reason to think, that "booting" these AFK people would make login time shorter; if a bunch of people leave a place and a few people get past a que, who's to say that the que will actually shorten significantly. Especially when the cap is already at 2, meaning that the absolute most multi-toons could be on is double the amount of people online and that's if every single player has two toons online. Note that I'm not going after you.