View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDevil View Post
Doodz, the secret to multi-core systems lies mostly in the OS. First off, more than a dual core system on XP is retarted! The kernel was only created around a dual cpu design and therefore does not make effective use of anything over that. Second, a 32-bit OS will limit your addressable space and running code again decreasing the effectiveness of a multi-core system. 64-bit Vista is really the ONLY system for more than 2 cores (outside of Windows Server 2003 that is). And yes, more core DOES help with Vista (shhhh all you Vista haters!). I had a dual-core E6300 OC'd to 2.53GHz and it ran very well. Then I dropped in a Q6700 at stock settings (my PSU is a bit dated at this point) and it ran extremely well. All other components of the system were unchanged, I haven't even taken the time to reload the OS yet. Vista will delegate single-threaded code to a core that is idle if there are other functions to be done. This helps alot with netcode on a system with a quad-core CPU. 1 core runs the game engine, 1 core runs the OS and 1 core runs the net code leaving the fourth core idle until needed by another application. This is all documented very well in quad core benchmarks where they run multiple single-threaded apps at the same time.

Oh, and there are 3 games in stores now that will make use of a quad core:
Supreme Commander (although the performance boost is unnoticed)
Crysis (which runs like poop unless you have a quad SLI setup with 4 8800GTXs anyway)
and finally Unreal Tournament III (which has had the biggest improvement from my dualie to my quad).

Sorry I don't have any links, I worked a 12 hour day and don't feel like finding them right now. But the short and skinny of it is if you're not a hardcore gamer wanting to play the newest stuff right away don't bother with the expense of the quad right now.

What about Windows XP 64 bit? How well does that use the other cores? I had problems with Vista not running a lot of my old games, even after setting them to run in Windows XP or Windows 2000 mode. I downloaded a trial of Windows XP 64 bit and most of them seem to work. Any suggestions for me on how I can get these games to work on Vista though? Mostly they are Battlefront 1 and 2 and Battlefield Vietnam.