View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Seaseman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynda View Post
I've seen the efforts made by SWGemu over the last six months or so to mend fences with (all members of) the community, and it hasn't gone unnoticed. At least by me. Thanks.

This is all for you. We realized that the childish ways we had weren't going to get us anywhere. In order to attract more talented programmers to this project and further expand our community it's important to treat it with respect. You guys are why we're here, and this is all for you. You're very welcome.

But I can understand where the ANH devs might have a problem coding for a project where they would have no 'ownership' of their work.

This wasn't JUST about the ANH devs, it's also about the other people out there who feel like we have wronged them in the past. God knows that's a lot of people. But this project has a goal now, and I think finally it's getting safe to say that we can see light on the end of the tunnel. We're trying to finish strong. We could do this by ourselves, but we could see this emulator in half the time if some of the talented people from server communities and our community step forward and lend a hand.

And where SWGemu could - theoretically at least - announce at the last minute that the completed emu was, for instance, not going to be released publicly but was going to be run only on private servers.

Here is a quote from me. That will NEVER happen. This project is open source. We owe so much to our great community that I can't even express it. Like I said before, this is for them and you. We want you guys to have the best possible emulator that we can provide. We're redesigning our homepage to be more emu-centric and welcoming, and it will also allow new members to get started MUCH easier. Also Kyle and a few others have been working on tools to help the community be involved. These tools will allow people who are less tech savvy to participate in the development process.

However on the other hand, I sympathize completely with the right of the SWGemu devs to use their proprietary part of the game engine (core 3) as a separate and potentially profit making enterprise.

That is a long way down the road. Pre-cu is our goal at the moment.

So it does seem to me like a real conundrum. And perhaps the best we really can hope for is a better sharing of information. As was mentioned earlier in this thread by syvart.

Perhaps. But that's why we're talking about it. We don't want to make any rash decisions.
I hope that clears up some questions/doubts/fears of everyone else.