View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosiAtasiar View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's it like looking at the mess of code that SOE made? Even the SOE Devs admitted when they made the NGE that the original game needed to be changed because of all of the useless code.
From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that SOE never even wrote SWG to begin with. The Original game that we got at launch was written by most of the folks involved in the creation of Ultima Online. To this day still one of the most open play systems ever created and surprisingly its still running and putting out expansions! (Personally I played UO from 1996-to-1998 when I moved to DAoC) so UO as been up and running for more than 15 years!

The reasons behind the very poor launch of SWG was attributed to the SOE folks not understanding most of the code, thus the reason behind the temporary (nearly 9 month) removal of the death system because they couldn't figure out how to stop someone griffing you by placing a tent on your body and sending it to the center of the game world. (if you couldn't retrieve your corpse after death you lost everything that was on it)

So instead of figuring out the code, the SOE folk decided to rewrite the game entirely with the implementation of the NGE saying that 31+ classes were to difficult to balance. however I had just come from DAoC that also had a large number of seemingly well balanced classes, and Mythic Ent. didn't seem to have any difficulties keeping their game balanced.

And now comes the SWGEmu team and they not only figure out the original game code but write their own server code to run the original client with only minor patches. (Great job btw guys and gals!)

so in closing I'd like to thank the SWGEmu team for bringing back to life the best MMO-RPG I've ever played! And yes I Mean Role Playing Game here people, WOW is an MMOG, not an MMORPG I never see anyone roleplay on wow!
TC Nova
Larken - Pistolier/Smuggler
Nerdykid - Weaponsmith