View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

3) Developers Perspective:

Quote:
Bobius:

I've been working hard in the past few weeks getting the GCW system set up properly. I've got faction recruiters working, faction points working, smugglers buying and selling FPs, faction ranks, and you respond as you should to players and NPCs of the other faction.

Most excitingly, Faction NPCs respond to you and each other as they should now.

The faction that we can now make the fight each other gives us the opportunity to test NPC AI and to balance them. Kellina has been working hard on this.

I'm currently working to make it so that you can go overt, covert, and on leave, so that we can remove the NO-PVP zone and make the faction system a little bit closer to being as it was on live. My main hold up is that I can not find the right packet to send to make your faction icon disappear when you're covert. I'll probably just release the system without that aspect until I get it figured out, because it's purely aesthetic.
Quote:
Sytner:

The past few weeks I’ve been focused more or less exclusively on the editors and client research; here’s a brief summary of what I’ve been up to:
  • Merged the world snapshot and terrain editors - my goal is to create a single editor that will give complete control over the creation/modification of a planet.
  • Done some preliminary work on the 3D editor, including importing SWGs models.
  • Added support for editing datatables (.iff) and string files (.stf); some of these will load automatically for the planet you are editing (e.g. the environments table).
  • Redesigned the GUI to be able to accommodate the ever increasing number of features.
Screeny.

Due to the amount of time I’ve put into the editor, I unfortunately haven’t had time finish off or make a video of Taanab yet. I know some people are looking forward to this and I will endeavour to get it done when I have some time.
Quote:
Panchjr:

I have been working on the Combat Test code and will be for a while.

The combat testing is a good example of how we are more professional in our working practices. It involves close collaboration between development, the QA team and the profession representatives. It may appear to be slow progress but that is because we are thoroughly testing every change and trying to wipe out all the bugs we find before moving to the next stage. As the code is held as a branch separate from the main code we can take the time to get it right. Once everyone involved is happy that it is working as it should it will be merged back into the trunk so that you can all get to play with it.
Quote:
Ramsey:

I've been really busy with other things so this project hasn't been able to get my full attention. That should change as we move closer to the holidays, so I'm looking forward to that time of the year. Nothing new on my front except I fixed some mission bugs that have been around for weeks. Missions will start out slow on the TC so please report any bug findings through support, it would really help out in the long run
Community Service Comments:
Its been another great fortnight here at SWGemu! The Test Centre has been bustling every evening, and even late into the night, and the forums and IRC have been as friendly and welcoming as ever. Thank you guys for your work in making this a really friendly place for new members - It's great to see the old Pre-CU community spirit come out when stroling through Theed, and hearing a seasoned PvP master teaching the brand new day 1 player how to use specials and get buffs.
Something else that has been going on this week and last was a lot of excitement with the introduction of Bobius' extended GCW functionality. Having faction NPCs really fight players and each other, as well as the new ranking and FP system, has made the GCW much more exciting and appealing for everyone. These and the future GCW improvements will allow for us to run more canon events, and really up the ante of immersion into the Star Wars universe that we all know and love.
A quick reminder that the Theed No-PVP zone is still in place, 50m around the Faction Recruiters, until the GCW development comes to a phase where recruiter placement, covert/over status, and timers have all been adjusted to their normal pre-CU status.

Finally, Jump on the Test Centre and have some fun!! TC numbers in the evenings have been dipping since last month, with around 100 on most evenings in October. That's really impressive, however its not the 220 we were getting in September! So, if you're bored and free, why not whip up the Launchpad and have a laugh with the great people in Theed, or have a crack at the DWB or any of the new spawns just added. If you're a new member, or don't have SWG installed; grab out the old discs and check it all out. Setup is quick and simple thanks to the LPE.

Hope to see you around the galaxy!
-- Max & The Community Service Team.

4) Closing:

Since we are shifting more towards bug fixes, the presentation of the BiWeekly will probably be modified in some shape or form. We'll be thinking of how to approach that during the next two weeks.

As stated in the Community Service Comments, we need more people getting on the TC and rigorously using all features of the game. We really need to chew out the code and make sure everything works as intended and at its best.

Until next time,
-Team SWGEmu