View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 AM

I suppose I should start off by saying that I would never intentionally cause undue grief, harm or otherwise cheat to increase my odds or get ahead with anything.

I truly am an honorable person living in a mostly dishonorable world. I have been wrongly accused and persecuted of many things in life which I hope will explain my fears in this matter. I can personally testify that even with undeniable proof the good 'ole boys club wins.

I agree with a 0 tolerance policy but thats in a perfect world.
Nothing is ever perfect.

To reference history which I fear is about to repeat itself ...
Power Corrupts, Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I fear that there can and or will be serious misuse of an insta-permabanstick. Everyone is capable of foolishly acting on an emotional response. Like in recent news 80 y/o ladies getting tasered by cops that feel they are right no matter the situation. Then their superiors trying to cover it up in fear of riots.

I agree the issue of testers / players using known exploits to get ahead and 3rd party client hacks ... screen macro's and speed hacking etc is a big deal and should be dealt with harshly but there must be checks and balances to avoid misuse on any front.

I see a high probability that general server lag can and will be seen as speed hacking. The current countermeasure that is in place is irrefutable proof of this.

If my character is sitting somewhere and suddenly gets up and runs somewhere and the server doesn't get my clients data for more than a few seconds I will appear to sit there longer than I did then shoot off running faster than possible to people near by when the server catches up to my client. The only viable way to prove it would be to have a video of my clients version of events. Everything else ... other clients, and the server will have incorrect information.

Even in life I currently feel to even try and avoid the current level of accepted corruption I need to wear a camera and microphone running every second of every day wearing a hat or shirt that says something to the affect of Being in the proximity to me you might be recorded for QA purposes.

Do I need to fraps every second of my SWGEmu experience in order to have recourse if I am implicated. From the sound of things in this thread there would be reason to feel that might not even be enough.

To sum it all up ... Basically I would like more than a simple assurance that Ultimate Cosmic Power will not be misused.

Quote:
Of all tyrannies a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ... C.S. Lewis
To go bad to the roots ... something that current society tends to ignore.

Quote:
The shaft of the arrow had been feathered with one of the eagle's own plumes. We often give our enemies the means of our own destruction. ... Aesop
Just to iterate ... this basically means that anything done as a measure of protection can and will be used against that protection.

Sorry for the rant ... I could go on for days on this subject.