View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 01:59 AM

Weighing in

I know this thread has been railed and derailed, loaded with irrelevant bull and people carrying on personal conversations. However, Learningdisease stated that the staff is taking the community's input very seriously and instead of flames and finger pointing I just wanted the opportunity to voice my opinion.

I've been lurking, reading, and taking in as much of the situation as I can since the speed-hacking came to light. I was there for Max's QandA in IRC and first became worried about some form of corruption when I learned of Ashur and STORM in that discussion. I was getting slightly worried when out comes the big "Zero-Tolerance" policy. After reading through it and the subsequent posts, my faith was restored in the staff and thought that would be the end of it. We were all clambering for some form of punishment for the perpetrators of the speed-hacking, griefing, etc and I felt we got it with the "Zero-Tolerance" policy.

Then suddenly, a few days later, the staff does a 180 and comes out with this. I was baffled to see the perpetrators not only unbanned, but rewarded with positions in a newly formed "exploitation team".

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningdisease View Post
What does the community feel is the appropriate course of action?
This is where we have not had as much input from the community. Enough flaming, +1ing, and counterpointing. What would you have done were you in STAFF's position?
I am of the opinion that the staff should never have made an exception to the "Zero-Tolerance" policy. However, I understand the need to form this new "exploitation team" to root out bugs/exploits/hacks while we are in the testing phase and I fully support it. I couldn't care less about who gets what, who unlocks Jedi, whatever, on a test center. Unfortunately there is so much controversy swarming around this Ashur and STORM that the issue is no longer what gains are made on a test center - It is the credibility and trustworthiness of the staff over the decisions made regarding it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningdisease View Post
Is there a way we can appease both the community and STAFF?
I certainly think so.
Maybe the community wants Ashur perma-banned, but allow for the exploitation team.
I believe this is the only way now to appease both the community and the staff. We need an exploitation team, internal or external, to root out the exploits before launch. We also need a "Zero-Tolerance" policy and the staff cannot break or bend this policy.

I believe a statement needs to be made that recognizes and explains the need for the exploitation team while simultaneously condemning those that used speed-hacks and griefed for their own benefit and hit them with the perma-ban. I believe we have plenty of talented, trustworthy and upstanding individuals in this community that are more than willing to join this newly formed team; we don't need people with this kind of reputation.

I also really liked the way Tropicana weighed in on the issue. I think he summed up what a lot of us are thinking.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank the development team and staff for all their hard work. I am having a blast testing and playing on Nova right now even through the rubber banding and lag. The whole SWGEmu team has made some amazing progress and I am excited as hell for Suncrusher's release. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to express my opinion.

Last edited by Worlack; 10-20-2009 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Spelling - Grammar - Clarification