View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 PM

Gonna repost some stuff I posted before the Zero-Tolerance was put into effect:

A big part of getting to a playable, persistent, stable, reliable, amazing pre-cu experience is the process of beating the hell out of it while we go. If the speed hackers that have been caught were actually doing it for the good of the project, then they would have coordinated it with GMs and QA and it would have been a very good thing - this is not the case to my knowledge, but even though the intents were for personal advancement, they did do something that is very good for the long, medium and short term health of the project. They forced the staff and developers to keep working on the tools necessary to stand alongside the actual server, because without them... no pre-cu server will be worth playing.

Improving the anti-exploitation mechanisms now and throughout further development of the game, regardless of what inconveniences it causes for all concerned, is a very important part of what needs to be done... and something that the testing base should be willing to accommodate.

Right now while the staff is growing, and learning the best ways to work together as a team to administrate a server, and some of the devs are busy on a major restructure is as decent a time as ever to start thinking about methodologies and processes to control and deal with exploitation and hacks. It may even prove advantageous, because if they discover something underlying that can be done now in the code, it may be able to be worked into the object restructure now, instead of later when it is done and mountains of new code/features have been built on top of it.

I'm sorry that a number of you are dismayed, upset, pissed, frustrated and/or depressed. There's obviously been a lot of turmoil around this situation, and how it has been handled since the debacle began...

The bottom line for me is... stfu and lets get back to what matters - finishing this project and making it as rock-solid as it can be. The journey is full of bumps, as are all of them. Get over it, or stay at home.