Thread: Discussion
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 09:12 PM

I think that, as far as keeping people informed of the process, a thread with not just the newer additions, but also all that has been already added, would go a long way (and having that in the middle of a FAQ isn´t enough. I mean an actual thread in the updates forum organized somewhat along these lines:
Already implemented:
- A
- B
- C
Newly implemented in the past week:
- D
- E
Still to do:
- F
- G
- H
- I)
This allows for any user that wants to know how much is done and how much is left to find that out without having to ask any repeated questions. It also gives people an idea of "when it´s going to be done" without setting any deadlines whatsoever, and I would assume that the dev team has a rough idea of what they want to have in for the first "real" release.

As for community management... I can only speak for my case. I joined the forums, and was posting with interest, until I decided to ask for clarification on one of the forum rules, knowing that it may get me banned, but with the intent of avoiding breaking said rules in a more serious manner. The answer I got? My question was edited with a link to the FAQ (which I had stated that I had already read) and a rolleyes icon, plus a two week ban. Now, while I probably deserved the ban, the rest was not needed. A simple "this is also considered a violation of the rules" would have felt much nicer than just referring me to something I was saying I´d already read, it made me feel like the mod was insulting my intelligence, and that didn´t care for the intent of my post. After that, I went from checking the forums a few times a day, to checking them once every week or two, out of feeling that my presence here was more welcome as a silent observer, and not as a contributing member.

Now, to answer the original question: what can you guys do to improve? A clean slate on bans is a step in the right direction, but it´s not the only thing you can do. Sometimes, trying to bite your tongues, and doing things in a more polite way, even if it´s the same stupid question you´ve answered 1000 times, goes a long way. Trying to be patient and understanding that people can be new is important in the job of moderator, or anything that entails dealing with the community. Making things more accessible for those newbies is a great way to get you rid of some of those questions. Even breaking up the FAQ (which is quite large) into 3 or 4 different parts, dealing with different topics may help, since people are less intimidated by one page of questions than by 4, and may feel more inclined to reading it.

That´s all I can think of as of now, I´ll just add that this dialogue between the community and the team is a very positive thing, and definitely the way to go.