View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinney View Post
So Max, you have stated that you will play on EuroChim, but as you know words are cheap.

Also the method SWGEMU propose to implement to get around the monopoly is for the people running the monopoly to authorise official servers.

Independent servers have to go through some sort of screening process and the people running the monopoly (SWGEMU) are the same people to grant that qualification?

It still sounds terribly unfair to me.

Push come to shove, when someone hears about an Pre-CU emulator and they have a choice between:

SunCrusher
Euro-Chim
TrueGalaxies
X server
Y server
Z server

Where do you think 99.9% of people are going to go?

And if the other .1% are who decide SC is not for them, they're directed to a choice of other APPROVED SWGEMU servers.

Dress it up however you like but its still a monopolistic strategy.

The only way to get around this problem is not to host a server at all. If the motives of the SWGEMU team are as honourable as everyone says, then theres nothing to be lost.
However, if there is some underlying strategy going on here, then SWGEMU will continue on this path.
There have been polls done. 99.9% of people have been begging SWGEmu to host an official server for years. i personally have an easier time trusting my money to a time-tested, well organized, knowledgeable team here than anywhere else.

Regardless, TG and EuroChim have huge communities already(TG has 28,000 forum registrants, EC has 46,000), if their communities are as strong as they boast, they should have no problem maintaining a preCU-ish population.

what does SWGEmu have to benefit from a monopoly of players anyway? Even if they attract the majority of players simply because of their reliability and thoroughness (which i'd bet on), its not like they're cheating anybody out of anything. No money is involved, or ever will be (aside from donations to keep the wheels turning). Players will play wherever they feel the best community and reliable staff. Nobody can fault the SWGEmu team for developing a supportive community and amazing staff.