View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Inactive Developer

Hi Community !

Sorry for the delay, i didn’t made it in time over the festive days.

I apologize in advance for following wording, I am not native english.

My story:

I came to SWGEmu a long time ago already but I was mainly a lurker, reader.

I tried the SVN then and got more involved into the project and code.

The main reason for me to join the dev team was the fact, that I thought some basic but important mechanisms still missing in the code and its time to help and implement them because they will be the base for many stuff coming ahead, codewise.

I am a roleplayer, so my focus is mainly on stuff like structures, guilds, storage and the “little” things making the game feel alive.

I am not a c++ coder since ever, i come from other object orientated languages, so most time I code Stuff will give Oru and TA a hard time figuring deadlocks etc

What I did so far:

Guilds
Item storage
Loot manager / tables
Much CSR commands and admin stuff
Database stuff

What I want to do next:

As soon as the currently ongoing housing/structure code is on the SVN, I want to start with player citys, mayor stuff, election etc etc etc.

First priority atm is redesigning a lot of code that has been in Core3 forever but needs rethinking due to the « fine tuning » stuff we are doing now, figuring out that some older underlying mechanisms need redesign.

The latter is by no way a task for one person, the whole dev team will focus on this shortly.

What else’s left to say?

SWGEmu is a huge thing. Its not a simple “emulator”, it is a substitute for something simply not existing anymore which was by far the uber-most complicated and most function-rich game in the world, i think noone doubt that (except from EVE maybe).

The developers here are not rebuilding something they can lookup on monitor #2 if they get stuck, most stuff has to be build out of mind, mostly with the great help of the community.

Complex mechanisms, complicated code, cross checks and a lot more with the concentration on efficience and stability is really something, most professional game studios are scared off – not rarely even failing a big time – we all know these games falling in that category.

A major thought with SWGEmu for me is, that is is no question WHEN we will play pre-CU again, rather think of HOW we will play it again:

Stable, efficient and with a lot of tools, fun and success - This is the mission of SWGEmu.

Sloppy, fast pushed out games are by far enough out there.

Someday I want to read in a gaming magazine something like:

“This is the story of SWGEmu - A story of what million dollar studios didn’t’ archieve but a small bunch of hobby coders did –turning the gaming world upside down”

With that in mind:
Happy new year !