View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
Missions:

I (Ramsey) completed a basic version of the mission manager. I am currently working on the _final_ two components of the manager being; state management (mission progress) and the scripting interface.

Looking ahead: I have come to the sad realization that the restoration of missions will require SWGEmu to launch yet another community project to collect data from missions that were on live pre cu. Mission titles and descriptions are saved on the client and can easily be gathered using an automated tool, the location/coordinates of NPC's and other objects involved must be retrieved by a human.

I do know that the majority of the missions presented to players on live can be replaced by ones developed within the community. So instead of attempting to restore every single mission that was on live, I am planning to commit more resources toward educating people on how to script their own missions, and do it well.

Whats to come in the near future:

Critical Pre-CU missions will be gathered in a mini project I will be starting a few months from now. The effort will eventually shift to restoring less important missions once our primary goals are attained.

I expect to have the mission manager done and out on the TC soon. Simple test missions are planned to test various aspects of the manager, and will eventually bloom into issuing more complex tasks. I do not want to commit to a date for all of this, to make room for whatever may come up. I can say that I am on track so far on the state management portion of the manager as of right now.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am planning on committing more resources towards making it easier for people to jump into scripting missions. I wan to narrate a mission building video and releasing that around the time the content gathering for critical live missions starts. The video will essentially be a developer's commentary and guided tour on the inner workings of missions and how to add them to the game.
I love reading this bi-weekly updates. You don't have to tell us anything, no other MMO says what their guys have been doing for the last couple weeks but you do - and it's truly appreciated. It's exciting and up lifting. These updates are great.

I'm excited about players making their own mission profiles. The ones in SWG was really repetitive and boring to read and if players add them, they'll be a great touch. Maybe I missed the thread or note but will you guys open a dev thread with official submissions? Then of course server admins can add their own special ones.

Ideally this could be a huge project for the community so we can write hundreds of these. The Star Wars fanbase has a huge imagination and this is just the first place we can flex it at.

Thanks for all your hard work guys.