View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 01:44 AM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

3) Developer Perspective: ("Round Table"):

Quote:
cRush:
College courses have resumed for the Fall Semester, and I have been busy getting organized to be successful in that regard. I am also looking to complete my personal web page and start the job hunting process, as my funds are starting to get low. I will continue to work on knocking bugs out in the recent additions to TC. Please remember to submit any bugs you encounter through the Support site. I still plan on moving on to Combat Medic afterwards, but school will have an impact on my free time.

I am also looking to start work on a web based administration panel to assist server operators in keeping their servers well managed and optimized. The outline for this is in the works.
Quote:
panchjr:

I have 2 projects on the go at the moment.

The first one is to implement what I am going to call hunting grounds. These will be areas defined in luas that will contain a set number of lairs chosen randomly from a list of possible lair types. The lairs will be randomly placed within the area, with some checks so they are not bunched together. After a lair is destroyed a new one will be spawned after a random delay.

The other much bigger project is reviewing and proposing ways to improve the combat code. This could take months as we want to make sure that code is as optimal and bug free as possible.
Quote:
Bobius:

The last few weeks we have spent tirelessly trying to fix bugs and memory leaks, but I did manage to squeeze in a few features. Most notably is the status server. No more should we have to hear the question "is the server up"? The status server releases real time, accurate server stats in a flexible xml format. I've already seen a few great apps that the community has made to reflect server stats. Keep an eye out for new features coming to the status server, such as server up time, and possible memory and cpu usage.

I'm currently working on patching some exploits and revamping the item structure, so that we can set permissions on who exactly can use each item (race, sex, faction, covert/overt.. etc..) That should be coming in the upcoming days. However, it probably means that we'll have to wipe the DB again. Remember, this is a TC. We're still defining the Database structure, and every now and then when we change it, we have to wipe.

I may be out for a few days. As many of you know, I'm from New Orleans. If this hurricane comes any more east, I'm out of here. Otherwise, I may just be out of power / internet.
Quote:
Valkyra - Client Developer:

Hey guys, I know you all haven't heard very much about me on the subject of Kashyyyk. And there are a few reasons for that, but the main one is that, I am sorry to say however I have stopped working on Kashyyyk somewhat. I know for those of you who would love to see that planet don't fear - as I still think the planet will get done someday.

The primary reason for this is because at this time I am not confident that we have the resources to work on such an adventure planet. Sure, I can put some buildings down and alter some terrain and call it a planet, but the content would be missing. In the future (perhaps after a 1.0 release of SWGEmu) it may get picked up on again, but I'd need a brainstorming team to help me with content for Kashyyyk, such as creatures, quests, dungeons, etc. Another reason that I decided to drop Kashyyyk was that many people have pointed out that it's not 100% accurate to the lore - there's no tree levels like KotOR's Kashyyyk for example... And unfortunately there's not a whole lot I can do about that at this time.

But I'm not just sitting here twittling my thumbs, I have done some non-territorial work for another planet - Chandrila. Synter is working on his TRN editor, and he has been doing a fantastic job on it. The reason that I chose Chandrila as a planet to add into SWG because there is just enough information about it (such as city names) to make it a decent planet, but not enough so that people can't say it isn't true enough to lore (as Kashyyyk). Also it's a more 'casual' planet such as Taanab, and I plan on making it a build-able planet (aka you may have a player city on Chandrila)... As for what it'll look like, it will be somewhat similar to Corellia, but will have it's own distinct features.

Here's some load screens for Chandrila that I made -

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...han_load_1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...han_load_2.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...han_load_3.jpg

You can also read more about Chandrila here - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chandrila

Well that about wraps it up, stay safe SWG Pre-CU fans!

-Valkyra
Quote:
Kyle:

Things have been pretty quiet for me as of late. I have been working on a number of behind the scenes items for crafting and the server. The only thing added to the server from me as of late is the forum integration. I have also made tons of progress on my Crafting Schematic Tool, as well as wrapping up one of the more difficult areas of crafting (for me, at least). This area is subcomponents. I'm a pleased to report that subcomponents are virtual finished. Aside from double checking math, the wild world of working subcomponents should hit TC in the next few updates as well as a soon to start steady stream of new schematics. School has also started for me, and I may or may not have less time with things going on, but crafting is approaching full implementation very soon. Stay tuned.

Example Component
Quote:
Ramsey:

I've been running private tests with a few people to fix bugs within the ActionCreature (interactive npcs) and their missions. What I need to do now is work out item stuff for deliver missions as well as granting rewards. I don't see any stability problems arising with that - so the whole thing should be hitting svn soon.

Screenshot of an NPC that is carrying a conversation w/ a player using scripted dialogue and various actions tied to dialogue options:

http://swgemu.com/images/bw8-30_miso.jpg

When it hits the TC, you'll see the special mission terminal pictured above.
4) Closing:

As some of you may have noticed, we are spending more and more time fixing bugs through TC feedback. We'll be shifting more focus to simply testing over the next few weeks and go back to old features to make sure everything is working properly.

While we will be doing the actual work in code to fix bugs, we really need people making the effort to report them in the first place. Unfortunately, there are players on the TC that do not view the TC as a work environment. The TC isn't meant to play around on - we need your bug reports submitted through the support site (http://swgemu.com/support). All we ask if for more of the community to meet us halfway: we'll do the code, you fill in 5 fields in the support site .

PLEASE SUBMIT BUG REPORTS!

Until next time,
-Team SWGEmu