View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

Developer Perspectives (Cont.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytner
Hello all,

Since joining the team back in May I’ve been working on various client-side tools, research and modifications; most notably the world snapshot/terrain editor and restoring the previously unfinished planet Taanab.

I’ve been out of action for the past couple of months due to real life demands, but have had some time over the holidays to begin work again. During this period I’ve focused mainly on the snapshot side of the editor, polishing existing features and adding some powerful new ones; it would be tedious to list them all, but a few worth mentioning are:

• The ability to copy and paste objects between different files (trickier than it may sound)
• All functions can now be carried out on any number of objects at once – rotation, translation, basic add/remove functions etc
• Far more powerful rotation and searching functions, such as rotation about a point, finding objects within a certain radius etc

UPDATE: Here's the Taanab teaser trailer. Only a short one - more to come soon.

Looking to 2009, I have another busy couple of weeks coming up but then I’ll be back to regularly working on the editor again and polishing up Taanab.
- Sytner, SWGEmu Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoop
Hey guys. I'm pretty new to the team so I don't have a whole lot of fixes under my belt yet, but I plan to continue working hard and helping out in any way possible. This is a great team of people who are great at what they do! Currently, I have implemented things such as resource deeds that will hopefully help Kyle test crafting, craft-able Master Artisan speeder deeds, mood fixes, and miscellaneous bug fixes to make TC more enjoyable.

Now I am working on re-implementing resource spawns so that they are exactly how they were pre-cu, so that the Resource Manager can finally be finished. After that I might begin gathering creature info for DNA sampling or helping Kyle finish implementing crafting professions with his crafting system. It all depends on where I'm needed for now.

Thanks to everyone that is helping out!
- Thoop, SWGEmu Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultyma
Comments
I just want to first of all thank the community for sticking with us for so long. Your support means everything to us, and without you, there would be no point to even working on this project anymore.

Secondly, I want to thank all the new developers that have joined our team over the last year. There has been amazing progress and we have some very talented people working on things now.

I don't really have much more to say, other than Merry Christmas and a Happy new year. We hope you will continue to stay with us, as we are in this till the end.

May the source be with you.
- Ultyma, SWGEmu Developer

Client Developer Perspective
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavinFelth
Hey all, it's Davin here with some little info for you, Uli and Valkyra have updated you on what they're up to below so I'll try to keep out of that stuff.

So What have I been up to, well, very recently I've been working on buildings and ways to get the new buildings from Live to our beloved pre-cu, things like the bunker. Unfortunately it's not a simple case of copying the appropriate files because one of the most important files used by enterable buildings uses a new version in NGE and so is incompatible with our pre-cu client. These POB files (Portalized OBject) contain various bits of information vital for the construction of the interior of the building, without it, no building (or at least no non-crashing client ). So I've been working on converting these new versions to Pre-CU and I think I'm making quite abit of headway but perhaps more on that when I have some more interesting news on it.

Some of you may also remember that I was working on an instance called "Flashpoint" it was a very basic map but the first to be created completely from scratch, which I did without the use of any terrain editing tools etc. (). Well, I've not forgotten it but I've not worked on it much either, I was waiting for the Core3 creatures system to be abit more complete (which it very much is now) and also for the missions system to be in (which it is now ) so hopefully I'll begin work on that again soon, but it'll be a toss up between working on that or working on POB's.

Uli I think has mentioned his translation work on the client which is good stuff, it should enable a much wider audience to be able to enjoy the work that everyone has put into the server. We've also taken some brief looks at Hoth, mainly just the simple stuff like armor which is easily implementable. I also looked at Faction armor a little while ago, you can see that working in Core3 here: http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...enShot0044.jpg, I also tested putting in new schematics (for the faction armor) and that worked out quite well.

Well that's about it really, I hope you all had a great Christmas and I hope that the New Year brings you exactly what you're looking for, see you soon!

- DavinFelth, SWGEmu Client Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli
Well, 2008 has been a decent year.
Uli Client Developer, work this year has been good as I managed to gain information and expanded my knowledge out.

Things I have done tool wise this year are some programs which I did not finish too long ago which are the FPS Cap Changer as well as the settings over rider. People have asked for a RAM Cap changer however I do not A) Feel it is needed B) Think it will work without a hitch, I'm more worried about the possibilities that changing the RAM cap may do especially when if someone changes it and they do not have that much RAM in there PC and 750mb should be a decent max cap anyway. (The Settings Over Rider and FPS Cap Changer may be found in the Darjani.org Download Section or the Truegalaxies.com website.)

Mods I have done are things such as pod racers, new species and quite a few others, a list of screen shots and what currently might be possible to do (Here) and also have began work on Client Translation however this might take a very long time to be released because of how much editing there is and also I'm just sticking it through a translator currently it will only do French and Spanish, Japanese is already done thanks to SOE and to do other languages it will be complex because what we need to do is do a lot of alterations such as add in texture of the text and designate them and then alter the string files but hopefully we will have that done all in the future sometime and we may make a tool for it since it would definitely be needed

Been a great year, got some good documentations on certain files and the actual client hopefully we will be able to uncover more in 2009.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Also
http://trac2.assembla.com/swgemu/changeset/449
I'm Glad to say Kyle has not become a Buddhist Monk!

- Uli, SWGEmu Client Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyra
Hey SWGEmu fans and followers,

This is Valkyra, one of the client developers for SWGEmu. I specialize in the client-side modifications and development, whereas our SWGEmu Developers specialize in developing the server-side aspect of the game.

Our job can be construed as easier or not so much depending on how you look at it. Sure, the client is technically done, but when you want new features, content, and miscellaneous things added (or maybe even fixed), we're the team to call!

2008 was an interesting year for me, because at first I started work on world-building for Kashyyyk, which as you all know, was a pretty much complete planet that was found in the TREs unused. However, I had envisioned it as an adventure planet, full of quests to complete, strange new areas to explore, and fun to be had all around with your groups and guilds. However, I believe that unfortunately at this time, we don't simply have the resources to make it a full and thriving adventure planet. What I mean by that is, that sure I can edit the terrain. put down some caves and instance entrances, but will there be new quests, beasts, and all kinds of other stuff that makes adventure planets fun? Not really. For this reason, until I get a dedicated work team to help me brainstorm ideas for the planet and help implement them, Kashyyyk has been put off, but I am confident that it will be returned to.

However, I've been working on another planet named Chandrila that will not be an adventure planet similar to Dathomir or Endor. It will be a calm planet, where you can settle and build up your player cities on it. It will also feature a space sector too for you JTL fans! But it will also have it's own secrets for you to discover!

I haven't unfortunately been able to work on Chandrila much for various reasons, but the main one would have to be because Sytner is still working on his TRN/WS editor, which means that the terrain of the planet is still having to be made. But in the meantime, I have been working on level design for a MOD. The mod being developed is from my own personal game studio I started called ALTiReA Games, and we are essentially taking Crysis's CryEngine 2 (which simply put owns) and making a mod for it, which will feature an exciting brand new story, new main characters, new vehicles, weapons, and an assortment of other things! So needless to say the Sandbox 2 editor is GREAT xp for when I am going to be doing Chandrila's world-building.

Well thats all for now, have a great New Years everyone and may the force be with you.

- Valkyra, SWGEmu Client Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbwbb
I have not really worked with C++ that much until very recently. I had other experience with another language called GML that in some ways is like C++ but is very different in others. I've managed to add in an administrative command that should help for future events and am currently working on implementing vehicle garages. It takes me a long time but I am able to figure out things after awhile. Even if you are not that familiar with C++ you can still contribute in some ways, large or small.* When cRush came in he had little to no experience with C++, same with Kyle.* It can be intimidating trying to get into everything but if you think you can code something and do it well you should still push through.* In the coming year I plan to become more active in testing and development and possibly act as a sort of link between the Developers and the QA team.* I've recently started a competition on the forums to decide who the "King of Nerds" is. If that receives enough attention more contests may follow.
- webbwbb, SWGEmu Quality Assurance
Quote:

Oru, TheAnswer, and McMahon were not available to write statements for this update, but each of these individuals have proven to be invaluable members to the project.

Oru and TheAnswer is the mastermind behind Engine3. Core3 would be NOTHING without these men. Not only are they constantly fixing bugs, they are always willing to assist team members in times of need even with the time difference between the US and Europe. If you are to remember ANYONE from SWGEmu, it should be these two. Recently, they have led the conversion to a new String class for Core3 (as we have jettisoned the standard library) and worked with link to convert and implement heightmaps. These two are legendary members of the project and probably isn't receiving the thanks they deserve. The next time you are on IRC, please thank them for the work they have done.

McMahon has done a lot of work with housing (installations) and cells. He has contributed an amazing amount of code in the time he has been here and is one of our most talented developers. He has recently been busy with a new startup called Frugal Mechanic (http://frugalmechanic.com). It's a brilliant idea that can save you time and money with any vehicle related repairs. His company has garnered quite a bit of attention and from what we've heard and it's been keeping him very busy. It is extremely nice to see the talents of a SWGEmu Developer at work and we wish him continued success with Frugal Mechanic!

Last edited by Sytner; 01-02-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Fixed Link.