View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Developer
Developer

I'm not sure I understand the argument about how Ashor exploiting to Jedi first has interfered with testing ability. Why exactly does that hinder anyone's testing? Does it directly affect testing in some way that I am unaware?

---

Griefing is a different matter entirely, and is completely subject to the authority of the Community Service department. If they feel a player is unjustly griefing another player, then I hope they usher that player out of here as soon as possible.

Permanently? Not on the first offense. Continually? Get them out of here - no one deserves to be badgered by some immature mongrel regardless of who they are.

---

I understand that there is an argument that Ashor was griefing players at the Mellichae spawn point at some point. I do believe this has been handled via ban by our superb and wise Community Service department. I would, however, ask that you all consider this one question:

Why was Ashur even out there? Are we really to assume he was waiting all day for the moment that another hopeful Jedi might unlock just so that he could ruin their chance? Would you wait out there all day on your Jedi toon in the hopes that someone might unlock and you could stop them?

Perhaps he was helping another player and became confused about which Mellichae belonged to which group? I'm not looking to say that Ashor is innocent, but instead show that all perspectives need to be explored before jumping to definitive conjectures about a player's intent of grief. Of course, the remarks exchanged, documented in screen shots, weren't exactly exemplary behavior by either party.

I'm not saying he was justified, just saying that sometimes, nor am I condoning this as the actual events which transpired. I'm just saying that the truth isn't always as apparent as it seems, and asking that everyone keep that in mind before deciding that the answer is obvious.

--

I would ask that the community remember that this is still a developmental stage of the project. I don't think anyone would disagree that it is better for everyone if we uncover and address exploits and hacks now, rather than when SunCrusher launches and the persistent world is in jeopardy of being adversely affected by such malign intentions - think economy irreversibly damaged, accounts hacked and stolen, etc.

If players are going to hide exploits from us, they are going to do it anyways, regardless of what policies we make. If we find a player doing the aforementioned activity, they will be warned only once. They will be monitored, documented, and subsequently banned if the behavior continues.

For those players that do choose to clue us in to their findings, I think it is fair that we credit them for being honest. Again, however, if we find that they continue to abuse said exploit, they will not be exempt from the preceding scenario.

Simply put, only so many exploits and hacks will be uncovered on private servers. Exploits don't arise until the need for them arises first. This motivates players to search for ways to circumvent the intended gameplay.

We aren't condoning that exploiters and hackers get off scott-free. We are saying that if they work with us to fix the issue, rather than exploit it for their own personal gain, then there is a future for them here. It is their choice.

Please be assured though, the Community Team has all authority to ban players at their discretion should they abuse exploits. Furthermore, it is our goal, as developers, to equip our hard-working staff with the tools they need to make accurate and correct assessments, minimizing false positives.

Please have faith in us to continue to do what's best for the direction of this project. All of your concerns are concerns of ours as well, and we do the best we can to address them while still being fair to all parties. We must not forget, however, that we are still in development. Soon we will be past development and into strictly community and playability - SunCrusher. Zero-Tolerance will stand in that environment - you can count on that.

Please know that we are always grateful for everyone's continuing support, and we look forward to providing you with the best software we can possibly provide!

Last edited by cRush; 10-19-2009 at 02:24 PM.