Thread: Discussion
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 11:46 AM

Ok being a lurker I may need to vocalize what I am waiting for to be "more active".

I check this site about once a week. I used to check it everyday. Why did that change? Well there's so little to read now that I can get through the new stuff in a couple hours a week rather then the couple hours a day to catch up. I personally thing the project is going well but we can discuss that only so far without newer stuff to talk about. A post on the second or so page of this had it right. The "how's your day bob" thing fits well.

That said, I think that the best way to go about this is to not aim for all of 12.1 honestly. It's a huge undertaking. You need to do jedi, space, dungeons, ect ect and it's gonna take awhile. My suggestion is to just aim for something playable and add in details when you can. Make it sorta neat like mini expansions. You start off with the 32 professions excluding jedi (that's a lot of time in itself) and release that. People will already rejoyce because it would be like SWG at release. There were no jedi, no space, no DWB. We liked the grind to get that first profession. People started to grind out credits and resources then. There wasn't any major complaining (trying to remember back. I started 1.5 months after release but took a break after 5 months). Then people found out how to unlock. In the time people are having fun now you can work on the jedi stuff. when it's released, it will be like a mini expansion and emulate the first person unlocking on the server. Then while people do that you work on space ect ect.

I don't really know if thats even a feasible route but it's an idea. I just think you have very little community involvement because of the lack of things to do. If there was even something to pass the time with you would have a lot of feedback and a larger community. Seeing that there really is none, many including myself are passing time in something else (currently Vanguard because it is very similar to the old EQ but has parts of SWG I miss like housing). If we are doing these then we aren't focusing on this.

Ok enough of a rant. I do have a few ideas that would help. First is already mentioned. The website is a mess. If you know where to look then it's ok but it really could be better. There is something in place for this though.

Secondly we need a big welcoming on the front page. This need to say "Welcome to SWGEmu. Please read the FAQs before you do anything else. This will catch you up to speed and give you most of the information you need to discuss matters in the Forums." and make a sidebar with big buttons that say FAQS Forums ect. those little ones are barley visable .

Next the Bi Monthly Q and A would be incredible. Just one person from each area (they don't even all have to be in the same Q and A) discussing what they are working on. Say for example Ulty can give a general overview the first time and then someone else can discuss what he is working on ect. If we just have one big one then we won't get a ton of info to discuss. This way by the time Ulty's turn comes around he can have a lot of new things to discuss.

After that would have to be a monthly stress test/server event. I like where the whole tuskan thing is going. One of these monthly (with or without new stuff added) would really help as well. Keeps the community as tight knit as possible without something to play day to day. I would even hand these out to the server admins like true galaxies and such. After you release it let those smaller communities grow some as well. Sort of like a "Here's a new toy. Now we'll give out a few and you guys can have fun" sorta thing.

Then the final thing is just being more vocal. Ramsey did a good job starting with this thread. At least pretend to keep an interest in us. You guys are on your way to becoming idols. When this is finished you will be remembered by the 15K+ of us that have been yerning for PreCU in all of it's glory once again.

In closing, push but don't push to hard. Get something out there and polish it later. Heck Vanguard did and it's already got 300k for being Beta 423. We still pay for it because it's something. Take one decent note from those at SoE, people still play something broke. Give us old SWG broke over not giving us old SWG bug free. Did that make any sence? I'll take what you have now if I can do at least some progression over waiting more to do anything.

I hope this post is what you were looking for Ramsey. I tend to ramble and not make a lot of sence at times but if you put the pieces together then you might find something you can use.