View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

Team Perspectives

From the Community Service Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaika
Aloha, I'm Ekaika. I thought I'd provide a little bio on myself for those interested. No links of requests for action this time

I joined this project sometime in '05, before the new forums went up. SWG was my first MMO, and I enjoyed the friendships and pvp so much I felt compelled to follow the project and help it succeed.

After a year or two of forum posting I eventually I ended up on staff as a Profession Rep and researched Squad Leader for future implementation. I enjoyed working with other Reps testing mechanics on staff servers polishing up our Profs.

Later I joined the initial CSR team, and spent many a late night manning IRC support for our European supporters and insomniacs, as well as helping folks on Test Center. We've run some great events I think everyone can agree have been a lot of fun. The CSR program really found its step in this project, having created the Trellis Ticketing System, wrote/rewrote much of the Support and FAQ entries, and cleaned up TC through in-game moderation.

My duties branched out to Forum Moderation most recently. likely due to my obsession with forum organization: "Hi this is in the wrong place, sorry. Is the server up?" You know who you are In all seriousness, the Moderation team has done a great job in the past few months really cleaning up the forums. They're now a safe place for new people to come get involved and help out.

I also help out with Community Relations and organizational tasks. Ties into my Public Relations background I suppose. We've come a long long way, with many new tools in place to facilitate effective communication on Staff. Everyone from Devs to Admin to Team Heads and members have full access to one another. This allows us to deal with issues live as they come up and move quickly. I've never been more excited about this project than I am now. Gasp...Heightmaps!

That's about it. I have to express my appreciation to this community for its continued support through the years. Something about this project seems to breed controversy and challenges, but with your support we've persevered and have blown through barriers. Your reward will be to have your game back again, better than it was and with the pride that's yours in knowing you helped to make it happen.

For all the friends I've made, work we've done, and laughs we've shared... thanks SWGEmu

- Ekaika, SWGEmu CSR/Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningdisease
I joined the team originally working on Dungeons/Bunkers/Caves, and slowly began to do more community support, especially on IRC. I guess that is where I spend most of my time, rather than on the forums.

The time I've been working with the team has been great, and I have helped to implement most of the cave-type POI's and strongholds that are currently on the TC. Kaigeos has taken over the huge task of compiling and writing the skills of the creatures on all the planets, along with the NPCs. This has made populating the dungeons a much simpler project, and I encourage everyone to help him compile the correct information in the Creature/NPC Weapon Discussion Forum so that we may see more and more POIs and dungeons becoming available.

I also spend a lot of time working with the CSR team, trying to keep the TC civil (as civil as it can be ), and also to have fun with the community. It really is the most enjoyable part, playing and just chatting with all the people who love PreCU. I'm glad to see more people using the support/ticket system we implemented this year to report all the inevitable bugs that occur in development.

As far as my work with the Profession Reps goes, early on I had compiled a whole bunch of information on Droid Engineer, as I am more aligned to crafting type work. Once we start seeing the completion of schematics and other data, I will be very involved with making sure they are working correctly on TC. Testing and checking out the other crafting issues (resources/harvesters/factories) will be on my todo list in the upcoming year.

Thank you to the whole community for getting us to where we are today, without you guys this couldn't happen. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the TC and on IRC in 2009.

- learningdisease, SWGEmu CSR/Profession Rep

From the Profession Representative Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfirehawk
About the Prof Rep Program

The Profession Representative Program ("Correspondent Program" as SOE called it back in the day) was started in April of this year. I was asked by the SWGEmu Team to put together a group of people like what SOE had in the pre-NGE days. The community here was/is very responsive to the idea of funneling player information through organizers so it is better presented to the Devs. I have received a few hundred apps for what was about 30 positions.

The Rep Program has went through a major change since its April introduction by reducing the total numbers of Reps a few months ago. They now are covering all Profs while focusing on a "Prof Category". This was done for various reasons from me not having time to manage 30 people to there often isn't enough to do in 30 Profs all the time. The fact that the SWGEmu Staff has grown, in part from the Rep Program, to include CSR's, Event Coordinators, QA's, etc has made it more logical to have reduced numbers right now. The members of the Rep Team are still the go-to people for any information on every profession. But that doesn't mean we don't need help from the Community....we ALWAYS need player help in the Profession Forums gathering info, discussing things and testing things on TC now and throughout 2009.

I joined the SWGEmu Team in March, 2008 after my brother-in-law told me about this project. Boy was I excited about the concept and jumped in with both feet when asked to be Lead Tester and start the "Corr Program", similar to what I was in on the SOE forums as Carbineer Correspondent pre-NGE.

My current work schedule finds me putting in less time than I want around here, but I can certainly say my excitement and JOY about bringing back "My Precious" is still as strong as it was from Day 1.

- TAfirehawk, SWGEmu Profession Representative Team Leader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbat
As 2008 wraps up I am working on updating, and correcting the combat lua's for the upcoming Combat Revision. The QA Team, and Profession Reps are currently assisting in gathering data for this task. Once complete more accurate profession testing can begin. This should assist Panchjr and the many other Devs who are working on this revision.
I look forward to 2009 when the Combat Revision is added to TC. Once this happens Players can begin to report Combat related bugs to www.swgemu.com/support.
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

- Tolbat, SWGEmu Profession Representative/CSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow'lin
I joined this project almost 2 years ago in a hope that I could relive the greatest MMO, much like everyone else. What I didn't see was me joining the staff of the great project and contributing to a worthy cause. I always felt strongly about my profession and when I was given the opportunity to represent it, I took it. I was one of the original 30 or so members to join the rep team, and one of the few who remain. I am proud to have served this community through private testing for developers, extensive research, some PCP development, crafting schematics, and even some code that I wrote for shuttles. This community and project really mean a lot to me and I can't wait for us all to unite in one great PreCU.

- Tow'lin, SWGEmu Profession Representative/Event Coordinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorta
It has been a good year. I was one of the original profession reps that were picked for the great honor and a page in the history books. I couldn't ask for any better team to test and setup the professions.

Our goal is too get the professions exactly the way they were back from the original game. I mostly worked on all the data for Bio-Engineer with help from other community members. Without your help nothing would be possible and we wouldn't be as far as we are now with the professions. Since we have been restructured we are currently working the professions that are currently in testing. I ask come to us if you find bugs in the profession, summit a bug report every little bit helps out for our goal. As long as people get the ball rolling a huge snow ball effect can occur.

The community has grown so much more then I taught possible. There has been so many advancements in the game this year I am looking forward on what we can achieve in 2009. I set a goal for my self to not only just work on profession rep duties put to help out other departments. I will leave you with a quote:

"Winners take time to relish their work, knowing that scaling the mountain is what makes the view from the top so exhilarating."

- vorta, SWGEmu Profession Representative
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedHangover
I started following this project long before it was possible to load into zone and 500 people in the community seemed like a lot. I remember chasing packets, pulling apart old hard drives looking for log files and reading the forum on a daily basis waiting for any news that would indicate some sort of timeline.

It's been a long time and has come a long way and as much as I would like to code on the project, I just don'd have the time committment to offer right now. So when TAfirehawk started asking for profession reps last March I felt it was my calling. Just the type of position I needed that would keep me in my daily routine of trolling the forums, gathering information and continuing to test various features before, during and after release on TC. Lately the bulk of my focus has been in researching and chasing down details regarding combat.

The development that has taken place in the last year has been astounding and it not only brings me back to the days of playing pre-cu, it brings me back to the days that I started to follow this project wondering if it could really happen. Well I think this team has proven without a doubt that it will happen and I look forward to 2009 being another amazing year for this project.

- WickedHangover, SWGEmu Profession Representative

From the Quality Assurance Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrin
I rejoined this community in June when Kyle posted the "Olive Branch" thread. I had been the head of testing for ANH and Joined SWGEmu with the same position. 2008 has been a great year for all of us. It saw the inception of the Quality Assurance department which has done a lot of work in finding bugs and verifying that things match how they were Pre-CU. I appreciate all of the testers, both in and outside of the QA program and know that they have contributed to a more accurate Pre-Combat Upgrade feel for the game and a more stable, bug free server. I'm looking forward to the new year where we will continue to thoroughly test each and every new feature that is added as well as do occasional retests of all previous game features. This is the only way we can ensure that we offer the community what they have waited so long for; this is the only way that every player can re-experience the greatest Star Wars saga ever told... Their own. I would like to again thank the testers for all of their work. I would also like to thank the community who has made all of this possible and the developers who fix the bugs we find.

- Thrin, SWGEmu Quality Assurance Team Leader

From the Web Development Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DM_
Are you ready to Reborn a legend? We need you!

Ello! I'm _DM_, known in Russian communities as Pe Ell.
Our company has been developing WiseMon's «CyberCog» in laboratory for about a two years. The foundation stage is finished and we've started the realization of the projects on it. We grant a free lifetime license to SWGEmu.com as the first project that really makes our wishes come true.
We are very glad to be the Web Developers of SWGEmu.com.

Enough introduction, time to tell what the hell is going on!

It's content management framework that will help us to improve the community. What we'll have?

» Completely new interface of new redesigned SWGEmu.com website (My previous design is obsolete. It was just for a time, while we working on new concept);

» We'll be able to handle all our web resources on one core. Only one account will be needed;

» Fully multilanguage community, so, we will be able to translate news, articles, FAQs and all other info we want to any languages. Unicode makes miracles;

» Members of the community will be able to affect on it.

Core is ready for optimization while working on SWGEmu. More sw33ty things to come.

We want you enjoy the power of strong community. WiseMon's Lab.

^^ an old concept screenie

I'm working on a unicode client chat. All languages are in, but needed to draw new symbols of each alphabet. I'll do that for latin and cyrillic alphabets in 2009.
Russian language

Merry Christmas and a Happy new year!
- _DM_, SWGEmu Web Developer