SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

Discussion

We have 8k members I dont see why people don't get on IRC or create forum topics and discuss.

SWGEmu isn't going to succeed without a willing community. This community is doing a piss poor job of working to build a better community for the future precu.

Please encourage your friends who played precu to join and participate in dicussions on the forum. PLEASE give suggestions, we read them. What do you want to be able to do with scriptable npcs? What are you looking for in a server? What if...

There are tons of things you can do to make SWGEmu better, without having to be on the staff. Just help others out and SHARE ideas. Don't wait for updates and post "good job" every month or so. You wont be banned if you follow the rules and be respectful.

If you want to know what we're working on:
Crafting (research)
Clustering (beginning in core3, oru's planning that I think)
Npcs/mobs (core3)

I was primarily a research guy but I'm learning the ropes of core3 to help TA and Oru. Once a few more things are added I will ask oru about doing another stress test with more content. But before that we need a stable community.

I've done this sort of thing twice before with little success, I'll have another go at it.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Ramsey; 03-29-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:30 PM

Angry

Nice, well I think half the problem is that whenever a new guy comes in and asks a question he gets the living poo flamed out of him. Do you really think that half the new people will read the sticked posts/threads/w.e...? ffs, i've seen some mods flame new people... that isn't very beneficial to the community either... just my two cents:mad:
Old 03-29-2007, 11:43 PM

agreed, to have a successfull community, we all need to learn to, as both ramsey and thadec put it, stop flaming people and help each other out. now, i dont' mean this in the context of spell out each thing when someone asks "how do I setup the EMU" but atleast point them in the right direction. I myself, have spoken to quite a few people on Lowca about the EMU, to see who knows about it, who is coming over to this side of the fence, and I see alot who are worried about the legality of it (even tho I try to explain it), others who are happy with the NGE, and those that who have already are here. some question the ability of it being able to be done (again, I tell them of how much progress has already been made). any one of my other friends who used to play I am no longer in touch with cause they left and I have no other means to get in contact with them. now, as far as the server goes, I have no idea what scriptable NPC's are or what can be done with them, but i have seen good suggestions coming from others like walls and roads for player cities, wanting to be sure battle fields work, wanting to see the possibility of getting jedi of holo or village (or combination of both), not sure if this apartments suggestion is valid but would be very nice to see it be implemented, being able to place items on the balconies of houses that have them (again, these are all suggestions from others, none are my own). I also would like to see the all the mods that never worked or never worked right, be fixed, loot tables to be adjustable, maybe some type of muti level access to the server (like full admin, partial admin, and low admin) so that the server admins can have help, but not have to give full access to everything on the server (like low admin can reset the server, but can't touch anything to do with loot tables). bout all I cna think of now. will post more if this is along the lines you were thinking of.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:09 PM

i agree. each time someone posts an OPINION they get flamed. i stopped due to the nasty immuture comments i received from certain few. who wants to read that ..not me. as a community we should all stick together like a brotherhood or what ever you call it. we all are here for the same reason...to get back to the real swg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILJUDE View Post
agreed, to have a successfull community, we all need to learn to, as both ramsey and thadec put it, stop flaming people and help each other out. now, i dont' mean this in the context of spell out each thing when someone asks "how do I setup the EMU" but atleast point them in the right direction. I myself, have spoken to quite a few people on Lowca about the EMU, to see who knows about it, who is coming over to this side of the fence, and I see alot who are worried about the legality of it (even tho I try to explain it), others who are happy with the NGE, and those that who have already are here. some question the ability of it being able to be done (again, I tell them of how much progress has already been made). any one of my other friends who used to play I am no longer in touch with cause they left and I have no other means to get in contact with them. now, as far as the server goes, I have no idea what scriptable NPC's are or what can be done with them, but i have seen good suggestions coming from others like walls and roads for player cities, wanting to be sure battle fields work, wanting to see the possibility of getting jedi of holo or village (or combination of both), not sure if this apartments suggestion is valid but would be very nice to see it be implemented, being able to place items on the balconies of houses that have them (again, these are all suggestions from others, none are my own). I also would like to see the all the mods that never worked or never worked right, be fixed, loot tables to be adjustable, maybe some type of muti level access to the server (like full admin, partial admin, and low admin) so that the server admins can have help, but not have to give full access to everything on the server (like low admin can reset the server, but can't touch anything to do with loot tables). bout all I cna think of now. will post more if this is along the lines you were thinking of.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILJUDE View Post
I myself, have spoken to quite a few people on Lowca about the EMU, to see who knows about it, who is coming over to this side of the fence, and I see alot who are worried about the legality of it (even tho I try to explain it)
I am running into the same problem trying to get all of my old guild from Lowca interested. All of them are quite certain SOE/LA will get involved sooner or later to shut it down, so why get excited or even test it. I to try explaining. I even posted a quote from several posts I've seen on the topic. I see this topic being a major cramp on the community until either SOE/LA give their blessings, or the servers have been live for a few months.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadec View Post
Nice, well I think half the problem is that whenever a new guy comes in and asks a question he gets the living poo flamed out of him. Do you really think that half the new people will read the sticked posts/threads/w.e...? ffs, i've seen some mods flame new people... that isn't very beneficial to the community either... just my two cents:mad:
agree'd
Old 03-31-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
QFE this sums this whole thing up.

When u did testing it at first select few, then it was opened up but how to get into the server was never explained properly and post said if you dont know how to do - dont ask...

You are now crossing over from developers to marketing, you want people to sign to the game and suggest, yet you havent shown the community that is gonna make all your hard work worth while some guidance.

Im not flaming you guys, just mearly advising to perhaps working on your marketing pitch and making things more accessiable to new posters or players in a friendly and almost "idiot guide" style.

After all - yes ur making the game we all loved but on flip side without us behind you all youve really done is learnt c++

in short time to get user and even idiot friendly..
Old 03-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
This is the reason I don't post very much anymore, I'm tired of fighting for the new members everytime they get flamed, it just results in myself getting insulted for sticking up for new members. New members are bound to be ignorant of certain issues or ideas. Generally the mods have got much better since the old forums, but even a lot of the older members here flame new members to death, and there seems to be some concept for these people that they will win brownie points with the devs by flaming the newer more ignorant members. It may not be related to how the mods generally act now, but because of the past behaviour of the old mods, its really effected the community and the way they react to new members. Just my thoughts, I don't want to stir up trouble, I just think this is the fundamental problem your having with the community.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

No its not an excuse, read my post.

You are bashing him without suggesting reasons to improve on our end.

I checked out that Haiku project and essentially its just like what we have internally. That type of bug checking system really only works for code, not for research items. Im sure a general wiki of some sort would work better.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:23 PM

People shouldn't be bashing ultyma. Who can blame the guy for getting pissed off? If you were putting in huge amounts of time into a free project that you weren't getting **** for and people always *****ed and moaned, I'd get pissed too.

You have to remember he is making this happen. No matter how much people complain about him, without him the Dev team would suffer a huge if not crippling loss. The same can be said for Ramsey and Oru. These guys deserve the utmost respect.

To the devs- you are doing a great job. Don't let the little e-kiddies piss you off. If they have nothing better to do than go on the forums and flame you guys, feel sorry for them. They arent even worth the trouble.

You have a huge fan base of people who actually support you. Remember most of the people aren't like the morons who flame on these boards.

I think more "How would you feel about this" threads would help the suggestions. Things like the combat animation thread. You seemed to get a ton of feedback from that. Let us know what you want feedback on and there will be plenty of people that will want to post.
Pace' Ekif- Krayt Killer
Old 03-31-2007, 01:00 PM

Okay improvements, umm.
Maybe alittle more "Modern" site, you know what they say about first impressions right?

Oh and some events on the TC, more people will come and therefore more bugs and **** will be found.

Ill start my Waterpipe and some reggae music, maybe i can think of something else.
*I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.

-Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
Because then you're a mile away, and you have his shoes.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
People shouldn't be bashing ultyma. Who can blame the guy for getting pissed off? If you were putting in huge amounts of time into a free project that you weren't getting **** for and people always *****ed and moaned, I'd get pissed too.
I'm sure everyone gets pissed of at some point. However, one dev takes the "I'm pissed" to a certain level that it doesn't help anyone. If that happens, don't be surprised when people don't want to read the forums or get on IRC.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 PM

Am very new here. Only found out about this by chance while trolling around google. Have had a smile on my face ever since. Have been reading a fair share of the threads here, both good and bad, and there are some great ideas out there.

One thing I would love to see here as and when applicable, is for the folks who will be running the servers, set up their own threads and/or independent pages/sites, for their specific server. Then we can get a feel for what direction each of them wants to take in principal, then apply ourselves to whichever one or many that we will consider playing on. Instead of what seems so far to be a very jumbled set of ideas and conflict of those ideas

If this or something near on identical is already running please do excuse my ignorance
Old 03-29-2007, 11:44 PM

I read the forums everyday. I don't, however, usually make any posts, because 90% of what I read on the forums are people getting trashed for asking a question.

That being said, I've told the half dozen people that used to be in my guild about the emulator, and all of them are excited to play. All we are going to look for is a stable server with a healthy population. Our biggest complaint about the old days was the lack of usable rewards we got from doing faction quests, and that we always wanted to be able to create our own missions in the mission terminals, be it collection of resources missions, or offering a bounty on someone.

thanks for listening
Old 03-30-2007, 12:38 AM

I don't say anything cuz when i do i get flamed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: