SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Developer Chat Logs

Notices

Developer Chat Logs Once a month, on the second Saturday, at 7PM EST, we will hold an open Developer discussion on IRC. The logs from these chats will be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
And the cycle would continue.
True, but in the end the good of the many outweighs the good of the few. It'd benefit EVERYONE to remove rubberbanding, and while some people might ***** cuz speed hackers are progressing forward, big deal. Like I said, a couple people hacking to get jedi on a server that's gonna be wiped is preferable to the entire community being unable to test properly.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:31 PM

Some obviously think that the good of the many constitutes a better playing experience - and I think that's a reasonable opinion, but don't entirely share it.

I believe that the good of the many is best served working on any part of the server and it's related tools that can be worked on during this time of "less visible" development. All progress on the front of making this server software not only finished, but administrate-able is better for the end-goal of the project than providing the best possible playing experience.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:32 PM

/Agree Colt

Its very nice if they punish hackers, but not if all others get punished at the same time.

What i said before: the best will be to turn it off for the moment and put it back in for testing, when they are able to work on it (if OR got finished for example).

It doesnt looks like they are working on it atm, because absolutly nothing changed for weeks now.
Thats ok, because they dont really get paid for it and doing it in their freetime.
But as long as they cant work on it, it makes no sense to let it stay on the servers.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Exactly Alegis. It isn't even a matter of them ignoring it entirely. If they wanna work on it now that's fine. But they can't just throw some half-assed rubberband code on the server, and just forget about it, which is what they've done if it's been this way for weeks. They should work on it, throw it ingame, after a few days see if it works or not. If it doesn't they turn it off, tweak it, and stick it back on. Expecting us to endure weeks of bull**** rubberbanding that makes testing a very unpleasent, and time consuming process is just unnecessary.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-556 View Post
True, but in the end the good of the many outweighs the good of the few. It'd benefit EVERYONE to remove rubberbanding, and while some people might ***** cuz speed hackers are progressing forward, big deal. Like I said, a couple people hacking to get jedi on a server that's gonna be wiped is preferable to the entire community being unable to test properly.
To me it's all the same *****-filled cycle. I've seen plenty of people right now who shrug at rubberbanding and others who just make a big joke of it. The vocal people really are a minority.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:58 PM

The trolls would have you believe that a majority of the community wanted to keep rubberbanding in and cried to have it. That is a complete bold faced lie to make drama and divide this community. The people who were vocal about this subject, as this subject came about, overwhelmingly wanted rubberbanding removed and wanted a fair punishment for exploiting for personal gain (instead of reporting the nature of exploit for a fix).

To see this community continue to argue in circles, being trolled by liars who only wish to stir up drama is bull****, and needs to stop. If you want to believe them, that is your choice, and your failure.

Thread is closed, but here is the link to get a more accurate look at how the community reacted then.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33121

There is no real fix for speedhacking script-kiddies that won't piss off and 'punish' the entire community, not until the "fix" (rubberbanding speedhack code) is optimized. Good luck with that, because it seems some people, staff included, are enjoying all the drama entirely too much.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
The trolls would have you believe that a majority of the community wanted to keep rubberbanding in and cried to have it. That is a complete bold faced lie to make drama and divide this community. The people who were vocal about this subject, as this subject came about, overwhelmingly wanted rubberbanding removed and wanted a fair punishment for exploiting for personal gain (instead of reporting the nature of exploit for a fix).

To see this community continue to argue in circles, being trolled by liars who only wish to stir up drama is bull****, and needs to stop. If you want to believe them, that is your choice, and your failure.

Thread is closed, but here is the link to get a more accurate look at how the community reacted then.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33121

There is no real fix for speedhacking script-kiddies that won't piss off and 'punish' the entire community, not until the "fix" (rubberbanding speedhack code) is optimized. Good luck with that, because it seems some people, staff included, are enjoying all the drama entirely too much.
And I thought that community reaction was completely ridiculously out of hand. It was a sensationalistic bandwagon that kept rolling because of a complete flood of rumors about the speedhackers in question and a perfect scapegoat for a community that was rather tightly wound, despite being told ad infinitum that this is an Alpha stage Test Center.

And I don't care how many posted in that thread, it was still a minority of the community in comparison to its size, meaning that it's a cycle of bull****.

We done yet? This is a great way to procrastinate you know.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:09 PM

lol. yes I wanted rubberbanding. what a kidder.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:10 PM

If majority of the active forum users said no, and they're the minority of the community at large. Then what about the minority of forum users who said yes? To judge a community of this size you need to base it off of those actively posting. If majority of the active forum users say "get this ****ty code off my server", then take it off, fix it, THEN put it back up.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:11 PM

IIRC the poll thread aedan posted wasnt nearly as much as a landslide most would have hoped for.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthr...=Rubberbanding
Old 10-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-556 View Post
If majority of the active forum users said no, and they're the minority of the community at large. Then what about the minority of forum users who said yes? To judge a community of this size you need to base it off of those actively posting. If majority of the active forum users say "get this ****ty code off my server", then take it off, fix it, THEN put it back up.
Right, so to hell with the people who don't bother to speak up, correct? I mean, clearly their opinion isn't important if they don't bother to voice it.

If you have 15 people in a group and 3 say "do x," then clearly the people in charge should do what the 3 say, right? That seems to be what you're saying.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
And I thought that community reaction was completely ridiculously out of hand. It was a sensationalistic bandwagon that kept rolling because of a complete flood of rumors about the speedhackers in question and a perfect scapegoat for a community that was rather tightly wound, despite being told ad infinitum that this is an Alpha stage Test Center.

And I don't care how many posted in that thread, it was still a minority of the community in comparison to its size, meaning that it's a cycle of bull****.

We done yet? This is a great way to procrastinate you know.
Do I agree, yeah, I do. 'He who remains nameless' was a scapegoat of sorts. I agreed (still agree) with the policy, but I do think the 'community' went to far with the mob mentality. It was stated there were other reasons for his ban besides just the speed script, but I can't say those with "proof" were able to prove it without question, even with that video. I "felt" it might be true, but feelings are just opinion... not worthy of an execution. He'll be back in a couple months, so it's not as bad as some make it out to be.

And yes, several hundred votes does not equal the whole of the community, but it's not without any validation.

I just know that this arguing over lies and trolling needs to stop. It does nothing for the community except divide it further.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Do I agree, yeah, I do. 'He who remains nameless' was a scapegoat of sorts. I agreed (still agree) with the policy, but I do think the 'community' went to far with the mob mentality. It was stated there were other reasons for his ban besides just the speed script, but I can't say those with "proof" were able to prove it without question, even with that video. I "felt" it might be true, but feelings are just opinion... not worthy of an execution. He'll be back in a couple months, so it's not as bad as some make it out to be.

And yes, several hundred votes does not equal the whole of the community, but it's not without any validation.

I just know that this arguing over lies and trolling needs to stop. It does nothing for the community except divide it further.
ashur?
Old 10-25-2009, 07:19 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Right, so to hell with the people who don't bother to speak up, correct? I mean, clearly their opinion isn't important if they don't bother to voice it.

If you have 15 people in a group and 3 say "do x," then clearly the people in charge should do what the 3 say, right? That seems to be what you're saying.
That's what got us here in the first place.

We have 1k to 1.5k active players/testers on TC atm, only 50 of them maybe 70 wanted actions to be taken against speed-hackers, 90% don't have a clue waht is happening and why. But no one asked them and yet they are still rubber-banding, all 1,5k of them, all day, every day.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 10-25-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
That's what got us here in the first place.

We have 1k to 1.5k active players/testers on TC atm, only 50 of them maybe 70 wanted actions to be taken against speed-hackers, 90% don't have a clue waht is happening and why. But no one asked them and yet they are still rubber-banding, all 1,5k of them, all day, every day.
How did you manage to come up with those numbers? An uneducated guess?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: