SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Bi-Weekly Updates

Notices

Bi-Weekly Updates Bi-Weekly Updates are SWGEmu's cornerstone updates, posted every two weeks.

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:44 AM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

Bi-Weekly Update 8/30

1) Update Overview: (TOC)

-SWGEmu Web Development
-New Test Center Login System
-Database Wipe
-New Profession Representatives!
-Accurate Server Status
-Loot Group System
-State packs
-Various Bug Fixes (listed)

2) Body:

SWGEmu Web Development:

We have begun preliminary work on what we are calling a Packaged Community Portal (PCP). This PCP will be shipped with every server, and will allow server operators to have access to many tools they will need to manage their server and player base. Public, User, and Administrative access will yield different results when accessing the PCP. When an anonymous web surfer lands on the PCP page, they will find information about the server, how to join, the server status, and much more. If they create an account through registration, or login with an account, they will gain access to information such as their profile, character information, a viewable list of inventory items for each character, guild pages if they are in one, and faction pages if they are in GCW. The administrator interface will give access to a full set of tools for manipulating the server, and keeping it in optimum shape. Everything from setting up the connection information to posting updates and bringing the server up and down to despawning resources and deleting/banning characters and accounts.

Please drop by #swgemuwebdev if you are interested in contributing to the idea. We are looking for potential developers with knowledge in PHP, XHTML, CSS, and XML.

A live demo can be tracked at http://pcp.swgemu.com.

-------------------------------

New Test Center Login System:

We have recently changed the way the Login and user system on the Test Center functions. The Test Center and the SWGemu forums are now linked. For you, this means that from now on you must use your username and password from the SWGemu Forums to log into the SWGEmu Test Center.
If you have not already done so, you will need to register at the SWGEmu forums, and use that username and password both here and on the Test Centre from now on. This is the only way of creating an account for use on the Test Center.

We have posted a more detailed announcement reguarding this subject a few days ago in this topic.

Database Wipe:

As you have all probably realised, the Test Center's database was wiped on 08/30. This means that every account, character and item was deleted. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to retrieve your lost items or characters. The DB wipe was to accomodate the transition to the integration of the TC and the Forums.

New Profession Representatives:

Please join me in welcoming the new Prof Reps who have volunteered their time to help make the SWGEmu better.

Thank you to all those that sent me apps, it was not easy to choose the final list as some profs had multiple good candidates.

Bounty Hunter: Iakimo
Musician: Amitrov_Derinth
Pistoleer: Aslad
Ranger: whistletock
Swordsman: egoa
Teras Kasi Artist: Murreki
GCW: Sirius

Accurate Server Status:

Revisions; 611, 613, 614

Bobius has added a "StatusServer" thread to Core3 which will return an XML file detailing the status of the server. The test center now has this change implemented. You can check the server status either in the #test channel topic, or by pointing your browser to http://chicago2.swgemu.com:44455 . Revision 614 (linked above) in particular shows website owners how to check the server status with a PHP script. We will integrate a test center status script with a few changes coming to our web page .

Loot Group System:

Revisions; 581, 588.

We mentioned "loot groups" in our previous update and have continued to expand on them in the last few weeks. Loot Groups are now being documented in the lootgroups.xls file (docs folder). The spreadsheet contains information on the loot database to make scripting new creatures and their drops, easier. All creature scripts have been updated to use this new system. We are confident this particular change will make maintaining scripted mobs an almost enjoyable task for future server admins.

Statepacks:

Revision: 602.

Along with a few other fixes, cRush has added state packs to the game and put them out on bluefrogs for general consumption. Please report any bugs regarding state packs to him via the support system.

Various Bug Fixes:

-Profanity filter now checks entire name for blacklisted words.
-Added system messages for the Group and meditation actions.
-Creature & Player attacks/skill scripts cleaned up.
-Updated trainer locations (Thanks to the Profession research team!)
-Character deletion now removes more information from the database.
-HAM bar updating fixed.
-Regen begins after primary wounds are removed.
-Bluefrogs deal focus damage.
-Fire Blankets added to bluefrogs.
-@kill & @killArea no longer destroy bodies, so that respacks can be tested.
-Server startup time improved.
-Stat migration exploit fixed.

Along with these feature bugs being fixed, we (mostly Oru & TheAnswer) have done an excellent job in plugging memory leaks (among other assorted bugs) by getting YOUR feedback directly from Test Center logs.

The following 14 revisions fixed major threats to stability;
579, 591, 593, 595, 603, 604, 605, 610, 621, 622, 623, 624, 625, 634.

Last edited by cRush; 09-09-2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added PCP Demo link
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

3) Developer Perspective: ("Round Table"):

Quote:
cRush:
College courses have resumed for the Fall Semester, and I have been busy getting organized to be successful in that regard. I am also looking to complete my personal web page and start the job hunting process, as my funds are starting to get low. I will continue to work on knocking bugs out in the recent additions to TC. Please remember to submit any bugs you encounter through the Support site. I still plan on moving on to Combat Medic afterwards, but school will have an impact on my free time.

I am also looking to start work on a web based administration panel to assist server operators in keeping their servers well managed and optimized. The outline for this is in the works.
Quote:
panchjr:

I have 2 projects on the go at the moment.

The first one is to implement what I am going to call hunting grounds. These will be areas defined in luas that will contain a set number of lairs chosen randomly from a list of possible lair types. The lairs will be randomly placed within the area, with some checks so they are not bunched together. After a lair is destroyed a new one will be spawned after a random delay.

The other much bigger project is reviewing and proposing ways to improve the combat code. This could take months as we want to make sure that code is as optimal and bug free as possible.
Quote:
Bobius:

The last few weeks we have spent tirelessly trying to fix bugs and memory leaks, but I did manage to squeeze in a few features. Most notably is the status server. No more should we have to hear the question "is the server up"? The status server releases real time, accurate server stats in a flexible xml format. I've already seen a few great apps that the community has made to reflect server stats. Keep an eye out for new features coming to the status server, such as server up time, and possible memory and cpu usage.

I'm currently working on patching some exploits and revamping the item structure, so that we can set permissions on who exactly can use each item (race, sex, faction, covert/overt.. etc..) That should be coming in the upcoming days. However, it probably means that we'll have to wipe the DB again. Remember, this is a TC. We're still defining the Database structure, and every now and then when we change it, we have to wipe.

I may be out for a few days. As many of you know, I'm from New Orleans. If this hurricane comes any more east, I'm out of here. Otherwise, I may just be out of power / internet.
Quote:
Valkyra - Client Developer:

Hey guys, I know you all haven't heard very much about me on the subject of Kashyyyk. And there are a few reasons for that, but the main one is that, I am sorry to say however I have stopped working on Kashyyyk somewhat. I know for those of you who would love to see that planet don't fear - as I still think the planet will get done someday.

The primary reason for this is because at this time I am not confident that we have the resources to work on such an adventure planet. Sure, I can put some buildings down and alter some terrain and call it a planet, but the content would be missing. In the future (perhaps after a 1.0 release of SWGEmu) it may get picked up on again, but I'd need a brainstorming team to help me with content for Kashyyyk, such as creatures, quests, dungeons, etc. Another reason that I decided to drop Kashyyyk was that many people have pointed out that it's not 100% accurate to the lore - there's no tree levels like KotOR's Kashyyyk for example... And unfortunately there's not a whole lot I can do about that at this time.

But I'm not just sitting here twittling my thumbs, I have done some non-territorial work for another planet - Chandrila. Synter is working on his TRN editor, and he has been doing a fantastic job on it. The reason that I chose Chandrila as a planet to add into SWG because there is just enough information about it (such as city names) to make it a decent planet, but not enough so that people can't say it isn't true enough to lore (as Kashyyyk). Also it's a more 'casual' planet such as Taanab, and I plan on making it a build-able planet (aka you may have a player city on Chandrila)... As for what it'll look like, it will be somewhat similar to Corellia, but will have it's own distinct features.

Here's some load screens for Chandrila that I made -

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...han_load_1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...han_load_2.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...han_load_3.jpg

You can also read more about Chandrila here - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chandrila

Well that about wraps it up, stay safe SWG Pre-CU fans!

-Valkyra
Quote:
Kyle:

Things have been pretty quiet for me as of late. I have been working on a number of behind the scenes items for crafting and the server. The only thing added to the server from me as of late is the forum integration. I have also made tons of progress on my Crafting Schematic Tool, as well as wrapping up one of the more difficult areas of crafting (for me, at least). This area is subcomponents. I'm a pleased to report that subcomponents are virtual finished. Aside from double checking math, the wild world of working subcomponents should hit TC in the next few updates as well as a soon to start steady stream of new schematics. School has also started for me, and I may or may not have less time with things going on, but crafting is approaching full implementation very soon. Stay tuned.

Example Component
Quote:
Ramsey:

I've been running private tests with a few people to fix bugs within the ActionCreature (interactive npcs) and their missions. What I need to do now is work out item stuff for deliver missions as well as granting rewards. I don't see any stability problems arising with that - so the whole thing should be hitting svn soon.

Screenshot of an NPC that is carrying a conversation w/ a player using scripted dialogue and various actions tied to dialogue options:

http://swgemu.com/images/bw8-30_miso.jpg

When it hits the TC, you'll see the special mission terminal pictured above.
4) Closing:

As some of you may have noticed, we are spending more and more time fixing bugs through TC feedback. We'll be shifting more focus to simply testing over the next few weeks and go back to old features to make sure everything is working properly.

While we will be doing the actual work in code to fix bugs, we really need people making the effort to report them in the first place. Unfortunately, there are players on the TC that do not view the TC as a work environment. The TC isn't meant to play around on - we need your bug reports submitted through the support site (http://swgemu.com/support). All we ask if for more of the community to meet us halfway: we'll do the code, you fill in 5 fields in the support site .

PLEASE SUBMIT BUG REPORTS!

Until next time,
-Team SWGEmu
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

Reserved
Old 08-31-2008, 01:55 AM
Retired Game Master

woot! thanks for the BiWeekly Update ramsey

Swgemu GM
| Helpful Links |

Email me at: vashman@swgemu.com

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:07 AM

I appreciate all of the hard work.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:08 AM

Do you have...it?
Old 08-31-2008, 02:10 AM

Thanks for the Update Ramsey! Good info!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:19 AM

awesome. thanks guys, its much appreciated.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:28 AM

Good Job!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:38 AM
Communications Director (On Leave)
CommunicationsManagerAdministrator

A pleasure as always!

www.swgemu.com | max@swgemu.com

Old 08-31-2008, 02:42 AM

Welcome New REPS! Great news as always. /salute
Old 08-31-2008, 03:17 AM

Once again; EPIC! Always great to see stability fixes.

Last edited by SethonC.; 08-31-2008 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:02 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
While we will be doing the actual work in code to fix bugs, we really need people making the effort to report them in the first place. Unfortunately, there are players on the TC that do not view the TC as a work environment. The TC isn't meant to play around on - we need your bug reports submitted through the support site (http://swgemu.com/support). All we ask if for more of the community to meet us halfway: we'll do the code, you fill in 5 fields in the support site .

PLEASE SUBMIT BUG REPORTS!

Until next time,
-Team SWGEmu
QFE
Old 08-31-2008, 08:07 AM

W00t another brilliant bi-weekly. Keep it up SWGEmu.

TrueGalaxies Game Master

Old 08-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Retired Game Master

Great Update, thanks

Important Links:
Launch Pad Enhanced (Easy SWGEmu Setup)
How to be a SWGEmu Beta Tester(If your new or confused as to what is needed)
Help Save Commando Voice your opinion

Tolbat | SWGEmu GM | SWGEmu Quality Assurance
Contact me: tolbat@swgemu.com
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: