SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:28 PM

Well, what did you see when you checked the IRC #status channel? You know, when you read what we said above, went to the IRC as linked on the menu bar on the left, clicked on "Channels" on the top, and then saw in bright red all-capped letters "TC Status: DEADLOCKED"?

Ok, I'm sorry for the sarcasm, but on this very page we've made it clear how to find out server status easier than bothering to make a post.

Again, just trying to be helpful,
Poocho
Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poocho View Post
Well, what did you see when you checked the IRC #status channel? You know, when you read what we said above, went to the IRC as linked on the menu bar on the left, clicked on "Channels" on the top, and then saw in bright red all-capped letters "TC Status: DEADLOCKED"?

Ok, I'm sorry for the sarcasm, but on this very page we've made it clear how to find out server status easier than bothering to make a post.

Again, just trying to be helpful,
Poocho
As I said, how many times is it going to have to be said. There are plenty of very CLEARLY DEFINED ways of checking server status. Even if you are a complete noob to SWGEmu, and I say that with all due respect of course, it is not hard to find a way to check the status. And you made a post following both Poocho and my posts regarding how to check for a proper server status. Again people, the general rule of forums: Search first, post later.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:32 AM

macro name: Confused
/say omg...I cant log in;
/run north;
/hitwall1;
/stand;
/say omg..I cant log in;
/run west;
/hitwall2;
/stand;
/say omg..I cant log in;
/run south;
/hitwall3;
/stand;
/say omg...I cant log in;
/run east;
/hitwall4;
/stand;
/macro confused;

my advice type /dump
:P happy new year all
Old 01-02-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erminator View Post
macro name: Confused
/say omg...i cant log in;
/run north;
/hitwall1;
/stand;
/say omg..i cant log in;
/run west;
/hitwall2;
/stand;
/say omg..i cant log in;
/run south;
/hitwall3;
/stand;
/say omg...i cant log in;
/run east;
/hitwall4;
/stand;
/macro confused;

my advice type /dump
happy new year all
And a happy new year to you as well.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:18 AM

I can get logged in but I can't create a character on the server (my first one)
Old 01-02-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliostro1980 View Post
/flameblanket

IGN Raizzor
Old 01-02-2010, 03:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Baby jesus just shed a tear.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Please close your eyes, and walk toward the sound of on-coming traffic.

Thank you and please don't come again.....

Seriously, use the search feature in the forums or check out the IRC server. Chances are since everyone else is whining about not being able to connect and others are responding with all very similar messages, you might want to actually open your eyes and read them every now and then
Old 01-02-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediwaos View Post
Please close your eyes, and walk toward the sound of on-coming traffic.

Thank you and please don't come again.....

Seriously, use the search feature in the forums or check out the IRC server. Chances are since everyone else is whining about not being able to connect and others are responding with all very similar messages, you might want to actually open your eyes and read them every now and then
Not very welcoming is it, my first thought was a software issue at my end of the line, and although I did check the forums before posting, I can understand the reasons why people want clarification as to why things dont work like they ought to.

Be Excellent to each other...and play nice
Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 AM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

This was on top of every page during one of our longer deadlocks almost a year ago. While some people got seizures and epileptic attacks from it others had no problems and went on to create over 50 server status threads. Ahhh, good times.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 AM

I've not been around the emu for very long at all, and I don't mean to step over any boundaries or whatever. I think that no matter how clear and easily obtainable information about server status is, people are going to post questions about it whenever they have a problem. They will fail to look through recent posts or do any sort of searching to notice that their problems are in no way unique.

However, I think that at least some of that could be limited by making the information a little bit more verbose or accessible. As I said, I've only been around for a short time (under a month), but several times I have been confused by the web page and launchpad clearly showing the server as "ONLINE", but then being unable to actually login and as a result wondering if I had some problem unique to me or if there was a server problem.

Yes, the IRC information is available. I don't have an IRC client, and haven't for about 16 years. I don't mean for that to sound snarky -- I can see how would be a good tool for coordinating and communicating in an open-source project, I just personally have moved away from it. Yes, there is the java client available on the web page. I personally don't like installing java because I tend to think that enabling java in a browser opens up more annoyances and potential vulnerabilities than the value of its few worthwhile uses.

While I have refrained from posting before searching, I can easily understand how people are tempted to just ask away the minute they have a problem. Particularly when the web page and launchpad are reporting that everything is "online". Perhaps there could be a second line below the Online/Offline information that adds more specific info, ala:

TC: Nova
(Normal) / (Deadlocked) / (Login Server Down)

I would think a script to fetch that extra info from the IRC channel could be made, or it could even come from a twitter feed or something.

Again I'm not trying to complain or step on anybody's shoes, I just think that some of the excess forum posts would go away if the information was more readily available and the IRC option is just a bit less than ideal for some.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitigruqe View Post
I've not been around the emu for very long at all, and I don't mean to step over any boundaries or whatever. I think that no matter how clear and easily obtainable information about server status is, people are going to post questions about it whenever they have a problem. They will fail to look through recent posts or do any sort of searching to notice that their problems are in no way unique.

However, I think that at least some of that could be limited by making the information a little bit more verbose or accessible. As I said, I've only been around for a short time (under a month), but several times I have been confused by the web page and launchpad clearly showing the server as "ONLINE", but then being unable to actually login and as a result wondering if I had some problem unique to me or if there was a server problem.

Yes, the IRC information is available. I don't have an IRC client, and haven't for about 16 years. I don't mean for that to sound snarky -- I can see how would be a good tool for coordinating and communicating in an open-source project, I just personally have moved away from it. Yes, there is the java client available on the web page. I personally don't like installing java because I tend to think that enabling java in a browser opens up more annoyances and potential vulnerabilities than the value of its few worthwhile uses.

While I have refrained from posting before searching, I can easily understand how people are tempted to just ask away the minute they have a problem. Particularly when the web page and launchpad are reporting that everything is "online". Perhaps there could be a second line below the Online/Offline information that adds more specific info, ala:

TC: Nova
(Normal) / (Deadlocked) / (Login Server Down)

I would think a script to fetch that extra info from the IRC channel could be made, or it could even come from a twitter feed or something.

Again I'm not trying to complain or step on anybody's shoes, I just think that some of the excess forum posts would go away if the information was more readily available and the IRC option is just a bit less than ideal for some.
What nice, pleasent comment/response.

Some of the posters above obviously expressed their disappointment less productively.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeno View Post
Not very welcoming is it, my first thought was a software issue at my end of the line, and although I did check the forums before posting, I can understand the reasons why people want clarification as to why things dont work like they ought to.

Be Excellent to each other...and play nice
No my comment wasn't very excellent. However, read above this comment at previous posts and you will see why it is very annoying for someone to keep whining about not being able to connect when it clearly states above how to check status of the server. Chances are that if there are mass numbers of people complaining and being told where to look, you will find your answers there too.

And also, just as a reminder, but also an answer as to why things "don't work like they ought to", read the name of the server. If you are looking for a 100% bug free game that works exactly they way it "ought to", then you are looking in the wrong place my friend.

The SWGEmu team has and continues to do extraordinary things with limited resources. The current release is by no means the final one nor is it bug free. There is a reason why the server is called test center. If you have beta testing experience then you should not be surprised about server outages, code changes, major bugs, server wipes, ... etc. This is the ebb and flow of the testing stage in a project.

Oh and another reminder, I do not see any charges, fees, or other financial requirements to be a part of the community testing this project. I do not feel that I, nor anyone else, is owed clarification, or anything else for that matter, as to why something may not be up to par. While it may help testers to better understand the status of the project, certainly no one is "owed" anything having paid nothing.

So again, just to clarify my words so that it is not mistaken, I am an outsider looking in and am in no way a part of the SWGEmu project. I am simply a lover of SWG in its previous form and I see great things have come and will continue to come from this project. If anyone decides to join this project in its current phase, which again is testing, and has the expectation of coming in, sitting down, and playing a game that is 100% working with no bugs, working as it ought to as you put it, they are seriously mistaken. If these are your intentions, please either think twice or do not complain when things don't work as you feel they should.

Last edited by Ediwaos; 01-02-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediwaos View Post
No my comment wasn't very excellent. However, read above this comment at previous posts and you will see why it is very annoying for someone to keep whining about not being able to connect when it clearly states above how to check status of the server. Chances are that if there are mass numbers of people complaining and being told where to look, you will find your answers there too.
What is annoying is your whining about others whining.

If one doesnt visit the forums often and dig into exactly what "Online" means, it can be confusing.

To most people, at a quick glance, "Online" (in ref. to the TC status) means just that.

To you and others it means "Check the IRC for the real status".

If one could simply make "Online" just that alot of questions would be put to rest at a glance.

So, don't be so upset if someone gets a little confused and berate them for an honest question.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 AM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazuya View Post
So, don't be so upset if someone gets a little confused and berate them for an honest question.
That "honest question" is against the rules of this forum.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: