SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Developer Chat Logs

Notices

Developer Chat Logs Once a month, on the second Saturday, at 7PM EST, we will hold an open Developer discussion on IRC. The logs from these chats will be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Quality Assurance Deputy Manager
Quality Assurance

Kendrick

you fail
Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 PM

Can this be removed yet? I'd like to be able to play without spending 10 minutes being teleported to the same spot over and over.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-556 View Post
Can this be removed yet? I'd like to be able to play without spending 10 minutes being teleported to the same spot over and over.
I don't think it will be removed. It was put in for a specific reason, so stop "speed hackers" (community demanded action to be taken). It will be tweaked, fixed, upgraded, but not removed.

Be careful what you wish for... (in this case demand)

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 PM

Can it be tweaked, fixed, and upgraded BEFORE putting it on the server and forgetting about it? Since that's the major thing. If the devs are so adament about keeping it, fine. Remove it, fix it, put it back up. If it still doesn't work, remove it. There is simply NO excuse for putting up a faulty code and leaving it for two weeks while the entire testing process suffers dramatically because of it. There is just no excuse at all for that.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

I think it is probably being tweaked on ITC, but the one running on TC will remain active to prevent any attempt of future speed hacking, until it is replaced by a tested and more advanced version. I think.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 10-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Test Center Director
ManagerAdministrator

This is something that is not going away but it isn't just put up on TC and forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRush
The future:
We have already outlined a new algorithm that should hopefully correct for lag, while still keeping speed hacking ineffective. We are testing it internally to make sure it doesn't make the situation worse before pushing it to TC. If it tests well internally, we will move it to TC where we hope it will hold up. If it doesn't, we will reinstate the old protection, and try again.
Taken from here.

Can we please stop doing this? -->>>

Odwill
SWGEmu Test Center Director

Odwill@swgemu.com
| EmuIrc | Helpful Links
SWGEmu -e- Support Support@swgemu.com
SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odwill View Post
Can we please stop doing this? -->>>
Depends, is the fixed version on the TC? Is everyone still suffering from a broken anti-hack? If so, then no, we can't stop. As I have said, if it's being worked on, GREAT, but until it's ready remove this broken one. There's no excuse to keep it up and make the ENTIRE community suffering, the very process of testing itself suffering from this. It aint like you have to worry about people speed-hacking in the time before the revised version is finished. Cuz even if they do, two words (or is it three?) DATABASE WIPE. So the hackers getting a couple days/weeks of freedom really doesn't matter, since in the end everything we do will be wiped. However in that time everyone else will be able to move normally. I have yet to see any sort of justification to keep the broken code on the server until the revised code is finished.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 PM

I'm not suffering. Honestly, I don't think the Devs need any justification. I think they have a better handle on development than you do.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobreeze View Post
I'm not suffering. Honestly, I don't think the Devs need any justification. I think they have a better handle on development than you do.
Then they can continue to listen to, not just myself, but countless people ***** and moan because they're being rubberbanded back and forth hundreds of meters like a goddamn rag-doll. Obviously they have no responsibility to listen to us, and most of the time they shouldn't. But rubberbanding is impeding testing, maybe you don't suffer from it but hundreds of others do. When ignoring the community causes testing to suffer, that's just wrong.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:07 PM

Well if you are so steadfast about 'testing' yet you afk macro which is a whole other kettle of fish..... My suggestion would be to come back after the OR and all these problems will be a thing of the past.

EDIT:

Especially when you admit you don't even report bugs, that is the job of the debugger....

Last edited by Lobreeze; 10-26-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Well if you are so steadfast about 'testing' yet you afk macro which is a whole other kettle of fish..... My suggestion would be to come back after the OR and all these problems will be a thing of the past.

EDIT:

Especially when you admit you don't even report bugs, that is the job of the debugger....
Ok, I can deal with you arguing with me. But to flat out lie about me? I wont tolerate that. I NEVER said I don't report bugs, and when I see one that I think is kinda rare (obviously I wont report bugs like the micro animals, since EVERYONE knows about them), I report it. And again, even afk macro-grinding is still testing. Any action done on that server is testing.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:45 PM

And I quote Cilraaz

Quote:
I guess the devs can just shut down the bug tracker then... or at least our ability to add bugs. They obviously don't need us adding bugs to the tracker, since they have the debugger. Spoken like someone who has no idea about programming, testing, and debugging.
Which you respond with

Quote:
If the debugger can't detect bugs (which, is what it was sole purpose was, or atleast that's what I was told), then why is it there? Seriously. If it doesn't debug anything, why is on and lagging up everything?
You spamming afk macros standing in one spot hardly constitutes playing let alone testing. Furthermore, why on earth do you need to turn off the anti speedhacking algorithm? You aren't moving anyway.

I'm not arguing, I'm making very valid points.

Last edited by Lobreeze; 10-26-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
And I quote Cilraaz

Which you respond with

You spamming afk macros standing in one spot hardly constitutes playing let alone testing.
That response hardly says I don't report bugs, it just points out the flaw of saying a debugger doesn't detect bugs. And afk grinding DOES constitutes as testing, why? Because I'm doing it ingame. ANYTHING done ingame is testing. Every. Single. Little. Thing. is testing, simply because it's done on the server. My afk-grinding could potentially reveal a serious flaw of some sort that'd be picked up by the debugger (or reported by me when I noticed it) which would lead to it getting fixed. The point is, you don't know what bugs are out there waiting to be found, so any action, no matter what, is testing.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote from policy;
Quote:
3.11. You will not perform AFK camping of a spawn, NPC or cave. Camping is defined as repeatedly hunting a lair, spawn or NPC in succession. TC allows multiple accounts and connections, therefore using multiple toon instances to create the effect to "out damage" other players is considered AFK camping. There is only one toon actually operated by a single player and all successive toons are considered AFK camping. All toons in such instances are subject to disciplinary actions. Obviously, this camping rule does not restrict all multiple game instances. For example, it is acceptable for two game instances to be operated by one player where one instance is an AFK crafter sampling ground resources and the other is a character that is being played At The Keyboard.
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16670
Old 10-26-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
And yet I read in several threads that aslong as your afk-grinding didn't harm others, you were free to do it. And infact, the rules you quoted do not prohibit afk-grinding, they prohibit afk camping. So yeah, I'm done arguing this with you here, this is about the retardation of keeping a broken anti-hack that's unnecessary and does nothing but harm the community and testing.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: