SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union View Post
lol, I'm calm, just bored and honestly, I have to ask, why should we go into IRC to find out about the status of the server? Would it not be better for the Devs to change the Status uopn login to Deadlocked or Offline, so that we know there is a problem? since the server cap, we honestly don't know if it's deadlocked or we're waiting in queue. Just curious, not complaining.
I'll bet the devs wish they were bored sometimes. They aren't a 24/7 IT Help Hotline after all; they're human just like us, except that instead of waiting for a server to go back online, they have actually go in and fix it (when they can manage to find the time to).

I doubt they exactly get out of bed and say, "Ooh, I hope the server is deadlocked again, I want to spend my whole day debugging!"

I guess you could say it's the difference between paid help and volunteers; paid help is often part of a company and a company needs to keep up an appearance of the utmost efficiency and service. Volunteers, however, are...well, volunteers and are free to give service as they choose.

I remember another forum I went to for a while that had "skin requests" for a certain type of forum and also "graphic requests" (mostly signatures and avatars). I cannot possibly count the amount of times people complained in some way because the requests were not being filled "quickly enough." You don't quite realize how ridiculous it is until you're the one behind the counter.

/end dispassionate pondering
Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
I'll bet the devs wish they were bored sometimes. They aren't a 24/7 IT Help Hotline after all; they're human just like us, except that instead of waiting for a server to go back online, they have actually go in and fix it (when they can manage to find the time to).

I doubt they exactly get out of bed and say, "Ooh, I hope the server is deadlocked again, I want to spend my whole day debugging!"

I guess you could say it's the difference between paid help and volunteers; paid help is often part of a company and a company needs to keep up an appearance of the utmost efficiency and service. Volunteers, however, are...well, volunteers and are free to give service as they choose.

I remember another forum I went to for a while that had "skin requests" for a certain type of forum and also "graphic requests" (mostly signatures and avatars). I cannot possibly count the amount of times people complained in some way because the requests were not being filled "quickly enough." You don't quite realize how ridiculous it is until you're the one behind the counter.

/end dispassionate pondering
I know they're busy and they have lives outside of SWG, as I hope all of us do. I don't know much about coding or what it takes to change a server status, but I would *think* (yes, dangerous, I know) it would take just as much time to change the server status as it would to update IRC or post on the forums about the current issue.

As I said before, I'm not really complaining, just curious. But I think a couple people have explained it's easier to go to IRC than it is to change server status, and I'm good with that explanation.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union View Post
I know they're busy and they have lives outside of SWG, as I hope all of us do. I don't know much about coding or what it takes to change a server status, but I would *think* (yes, dangerous, I know) it would take just as much time to change the server status as it would to update IRC or post on the forums about the current issue.

As I said before, I'm not really complaining, just curious. But I think a couple people have explained it's easier to go to IRC than it is to change server status, and I'm good with that explanation.
Well...I realize you already said you were satisfied with the explanation (), but...as far as I know, they have IRC Moderators online very frequently and, if I'm not mistaken, there are usually a couple GMs/Devs who are logged into IRC frequently, even if they aren't "active" - thus, it would be easier to simply minimize any windows they have up and change the IRC server status, also keeping clutter out of the forums, since people will make most of their comments about the status within IRC if they're all directed to it.

If that makes any sense. I love it when my sentences start twisting in on themselves. It's like an epic flood of pronouns, adverbs, and prepositions...well, something like that anyway.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 PM

Actually, I believe that the server status channel in IRC displays the status automatically, without any input from the devs. So right now their current method of informing us of the status requires NO effort from the busy developers, while their updating a status message somewhere would require SOME.

As my little disclaimer, I'm not attacking your comments, just trying to help in what little way I can.

Just my thoughts,
Poocho
Closed Thread